Books that made you cry

Fiona

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what with me being a bloke and Irish I never cry :P

:lol: My best friend is male, Irish and cries all the times. Terrible theory! :D

There's quite a few that I've cried at. Including the 3 that I read this year. I don't cry that easily either, I think I'm just picking sad books at the moment!

I'm absolutely hopeless, I cry with everything! I cry easily. Oddly enough not maybe the most obvious reasons, but in a way I'm like a little baby. If someone else is crying, I'll cry too! *cracks up*

I think it can sometimes be attributed to certain things in your life, for example since my gramps passed away, death stories always make me really sad/cry, whereas before I just didn't really understand what it was like to lose someone you're really close with, but I think if you're already very down about stuff, it can make you cry more so than it would normally, if that makes sense?

Of course that makes sense. I'm lucky enough to have not lost anyone close to me so far in my life.. Your right about that though, I imagine that loosing someone and then reading about something that ties in with death, would be enough to set anyone off.

Lexie, you need to go ahead and add that "Hannah's Gift" book here ;) .. I almost cried just reading your synopsis and review!

Lmao :D Aw you poor sensitive thing!

Yes, Hannah's Gift is definately a book to make you bawl :D

You see I don't get that. Why would you want to read a book that will make you cry? Now one that will scare the bejesus outta ya .. different story alltogether. :lol:

:D Well I don't know, I just thought it sounded like something I'd enjoy reading, I am quite a miserable soul at heart, so it's perfect really :D But no, I like reading non-fiction books like this, I read a lot of abuse story books too, even though I know they will make me sad, but it's not that I enjoy them per se, but that I like how it gives me a bit of persepective on my own experiences, if that makes sense without me sounding like a complete weirdo ;)

:D Well I don't know, I just thought it sounded like something I'd enjoy reading, I am quite a miserable soul at heart, so it's perfect really ;) But no, I like reading non-fiction books like this, I read a lot of abuse story books too, even though I know they will make me sad, but it's not that I enjoy them per se, but that I like how it gives me a bit of persepective on my own experiences, if that makes sense without me sounding like a complete weirdo :lol:

Absolutely makes sense to me now. :D Now I know the facination with stories like that, I just hate thinking to myself God this could happen to me. It makes the saying you never know the minute too close to home for my liking. I'll deal with it if it happens. Does that make sense? :lol: sorry I've had 2 glasses of wine :o

Lmao :D Aw you poor sensitive thing!

You see I don't get that. Why would you want to read a book that will make you cry? Now one that will scare the bejesus outta ya .. different story alltogether. :(

Well I don't know, I just thought it sounded like something I'd enjoy reading, I am quite a miserable soul at heart, so it's perfect really But no, I like reading non-fiction books like this, I read a lot of abuse story books too, even though I know they will make me sad, but it's not that I enjoy them per se, but that I like how it gives me a bit of persepective on my own experiences, if that makes sense without me sounding like a complete weirdo

I'm considering reading this book, despite the high-risk crying factor.. but only because I think books like this truly do make you appreciate what you have and makes you put things into perspective. When I'm reading about a 3 year old's battle w/cancer, it's hard to grumble about how my water filter didn't work properly that day, ya know? Lends me some perspective. :lol:

Absolutely makes sense to me now. :lol: Now I know the facination with stories like that, I just hate thinking to myself God this could happen to me. It makes the saying you never know the minute too close to home for my liking. I'll deal with it if it happens. Does that make sense? :) sorry I've had 2 glasses of wine :lol:

Wine.. I want wine...

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a big cry-baby. :) Here's the huge list of books that have made me cry:

Charlotte's Web by E.B. White

Stuart Little by E.B. White

Tess of the D'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt

Jude the Obscure by Thomas Hardy

Ethan Fromme by Edith Wharton

Silas Marner by George Eliot

Les Miserables by Victor Hugo,

A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens

Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens

Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

Heidi by Johanna Spyri

The Little Matchgirlby Hans Christian Andersen

Brideshead Revisited - Evelyn Waugh

Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley

The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides

An American Tragedy by Theodor Dreiser...

The Velveteen Rabbit by Margery Williams

The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold

The English Patient by Michael Ondaatje

Goodbye Mr Chips by James Hilton

Sophie's Choice by William Styron

:roll::blush::D

A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens

Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

I haven't read a lot of those, but these two made me cry buckets. I take it you haven't read The Book Thief or I'm sure that would be on the list too!