Your Book Activity - May 2013

So my friend and I went along to the Christian Aid book sale at Queen's Cross Church and I came home with a haul of 8 books. They have this sale bi-annually, all for £9.60. I took a wish list with me so I could look for specifics but found only one, but another that I had on my list here. There could may well be another trip there tomorrow as I think hubby and Kenny will be wanting to go down for a browse too.

'Rough Music' by Patrick Gale

'16 Lighthouse Road' by Debbie Macomber

'The Girl Who Couldn't Smile' by Shane Dunphy

'The Bay at Midnight' by Diane Chamberlain (not the one on my list but author was)

'The Kashmir Shawl' by Rosie Thomas (which my friend recommended when I found it)

'Constance' by Rosie Thomas (hoorah, this one was on my list)

'Lone Wolf' by Jodi PIcoult (on my wishlist here but forgot to put on my list to go, glad I found it)

'House Rules' by Jodi PIcoult

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so pleased, I studied psychology many moons ago so maybe it's that interested that helps with enjoying the book.  I have read a few other Faulks but have only really enjoyed Human Traces and Birdsong.. :)

I will certainly let you know if I still like this book as I progress. Very well written, tension between Sonia`s dad and her husband to be`s dad, then between her dad and her husband, is very well depicted. ;)

I have just finished The Dinner, by Herman Koch, and I enjoyed it very much.  (I also picked it for my face-to-face book club read this month, so I have fingers crossed that others will like it too!)  

Haven't done much reading lately - still only about 70% through The Crimson Petal and The White. I have my exams in 5 days, so after that I shall be freeeeeee to read as much as I want. So hopefully I can participate in the Reading Circle Thread before the month is up. :lurker:

You're welcome! :)

Have you read any Burroughs before? You definitely need to find those books and read them ASAP :D

yes!  I really liked Running With Scissors, Wolf at the Table, not as much.  I also have You Better Not Cry and I am sure I have Dry somewhere....I will look tonight

I think my reading mojo is finally starting to reappear from the closet. Read a bit more of Renegade's Magic. I'm more tempted to finish it as well as my Mum got Dan Brown's Inferno and I'm determined to read/finish it before her. :readingtwo:

Started reading Emma- Jane Austen on Tuesday. Getting along ok but not taking to the character Emma at all!

Also reading The Lifeboat- Charlotte Rogan which I have almost finished.

Have only about 20 pages of Replay left, am saving it for bedtime! :)

It's my birthday today so have received a couple of book pressies plus some Waterstone's vouchers so have of course already spent them.. Here's what I got...

Spirit of the Wild Dog (the world of wolves, coyotes, foxes, jackals and dingoes) by Lesley Rogers and Gisela Kaplan.  I'm really excited as this has dingoes in, which Obi is descended from, it may explain a lot!!!

Life Skills for Puppies by Helen Zulch and Daniel Mills.  This is more for the children when our time to get a new puppy approaches.

My Animals and Other Family by Clare Balding

The Watcher in the Shadows bu Carlos Ruiz Zafon

Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt

The Witness - Nora Roberts

Happy birthday Hayley!   :hbsign: Sounds like a lovely selection of books you've got there. :smile2:

I started Little House in the Big Woods today, ready for next months reading circle, and my book group have been given The Hand That First Held Mine by Maggie O'Farrell for our next read.

Had another visit to the book sale again tonight with the boys...was so trying not to buy any more books, but you know how it is!

'The Distance Between Us' by Maggie O'Farrell.....at least I hope I haven't read this one!

Happy birthday Hayley!   :hbsign: Sounds like a lovely selection of books you've got there. :smile2:

Thanks Chesil! :)

Happy birthday chaliepud. You really love dogs n wolves don`t you?

Me too. :smile:

Thank you!  What's not to love about anything doggy?! :) :)

yes!  I really liked Running With Scissors, Wolf at the Table, not as much.  I also have You Better Not Cry and I am sure I have Dry somewhere....I will look tonight

Oh, cool! Burroughs is so great, I hope you find your copy of Dry soon! :)

I finished Lisa Genova's Still Alice last night. It was great. I cried! :blush:

Getting close to the end of Renegade's Magic. I literally told my Mum that she must leave Inferno for me to read first as, by me reading the prologue/first chapter that was features on Tesco's blog, I should be allowed to read it first to continue from where I left off. :lol:

'The Distance Between Us' by Maggie O'Farrell.....at least I hope I haven't read this one!

I know I've read this one, but I can't recall anything about it! :thud:

Haven't moved any further along on The Crimson Petal and the White due to other stuff. :o  I shall get there though, I shall!!!

I'm around a third of the way through Dead Ever After, Charlaine Harris' last offering in the Sookie Satckhouse series, I'm not sure why I'm reading it as the last few haven't been as good as the earlier ones and this isn't looking much better, but I just want to know how it all ends.. Then I think I'll get rid of them all and clear a nice chunk of space on my shelves when I'm finished.

I made a start on The Prisoner of Heaven by Carlos Ruiz Zafon and after becoming engrossed in it for the evening I've already managed to read over half. Zafon's novels do seem to just whip by, and this one is in the same vein. It's absolutely fascinating so far; I'm loving here more about Fermin's backstory, and it's interesting to see how much was held back from us in SotW.