Your Book Activity - May 2013

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back from a lovely week away, and although I mentioned some of the books I read earlier in the thread, here's the rest of the books I finished this week:

The Secret Guide to Dating Monsters by Sierra Dean

Mrs Harris Goes to Paris by Paul Gallico
Fallen Grace by Mary Hooper
Mrs Harris Goes to New York by Paul Gallico

I also started Under The Skin by Michel Faber, but I have to say, it's the first book of his I've struggled with, and I'm about a third of the way through but have put it aside for the moment.  Instead, I started Misfortune Cookie by Michele Gorman yesterday, which is a good fun read, and I'm about two thirds through.

Also managed to make a visit to a bookshop and came away with Diving Belles by Lucy Wood, who I saw at one of the ShortStoryVille sessions last year, and have had on my wishlist for a while, so I'm looking forward to this one.

Am currently debating whether to buy the three books on the Kindle Daily Deal today, as they look like something I'd enjoy, but the heroine's first name is Phryne, which I've never heard of and don't know how to pronounce, and it's sort of putting me off, as I worry that anytime I read it, it's going to be a mental stumbling block and take me out of the story. :irked:  Will have to make up my mind before the end of the day!
Edited by chesilbeach

Am currently debating whether to buy the three books on the Kindle Daily Deal today, as they look like something I'd enjoy, but the heroine's first name is Phryne, which I've never heard of and don't know how to pronounce, and it's sort of putting me off, as I worry that anytime I read it, it's going to be a mental stumbling block and take me out of the story. :irked:  Will have to make up my mind before the end of the day!

It's pronounced 'Fry-knee'. It wouldn't happen to be a Phryne Fisher mystery by Kerry Greenwood, would it?

It's pronounced 'Fry-knee'. It wouldn't happen to be a Phryne Fisher mystery by Kerry Greenwood, would it?

Thanks, Kylie and yes, those would be the very books! I did buy the books in the end (I think they're the first three in order), and later found out that there's an Australian television adaptation of them, and I think they might even be showing on one of the digital channels now.

I think my reading mojo has definitely run away recently. Just when I'm reading my mind starts drifting quite a lot. And I'm not even reading that much compared to what I would like to. I spend more time on the computer/xbox/new phone than I do reading. I'm still reading Renegade's Magic  and I'm only just coming up to halfway. :(

Struggling to make headway with Sarah Thornhill (Kate Grenville) - another book club book that I find myself wondering why I'm spending my time reading it.  Aside  from David Copperfield back in January, haven't enjoyed a book club read for some six months or so (I belong to two), and beginning to wonder why - perhaps because it's the element of compulsion; or is it that i'm genuinely not interested in the sorts of books book clubs select?  Don't know, but they all seem to be rather samey - middle of the road literature, and the discussions are exactly full of people enthusing - rather the opposite.  My other book club has had selected A Most Wanted Man (John Le Carre).  Fingers crossed!

Am also reading Bankside (David Brandon, Alan Brooke), a themed history of the eponymous area of London - much more interesting, even if not exactly high literature.

Why do so many book clubs always seem to go for the same sort of books?  I joined to get a bit more variety, and it seems just the opposite.

Bought a couple of books in Waterstone's yesterday: Umbrella (Will Self) and This is Life (Dan Rhodes). Looking forward to the chance of reading them, especially the former.

Edited by willoyd

I've started a reread of Forever Amber by Kathleen Winsor.  I read it first at 15-16 and have read it multiple times, but not in several decades. :)  So far so good.

I finally finished The Pursuit Of Happiness  Douglas Kennedy, not a bad read but not a great read either. My next book is going to be The Reavers  George Macdonald Fraser.

Finished Esio Trot by Roald Dahl and also read David Walliams' The Boy in the Dress ... similar style to Roald's (and with illustrations by Quentin also) .. both very enjoyable. Making headway with Storyteller: The Life of Roald Dahl and enjoying it although I'm impatient to get to the bit where he starts writing books and I have a feeling that is a long, long way off. 

Reading The Abortionist's Daughter......I know by the title that it could be a controversial subject, but

I didn't realise it was going to be a bit graphic

...I will carry on with it though as I need to find out the ending.

Completed Sarah ThornhillOkay, but not a lot more.  Still reading Bankside but it's more of a dipping book, so got going on The Last Viking, biography of Roald Amundsen.

Thanks, Kylie and yes, those would be the very books! I did buy the books in the end (I think they're the first three in order), and later found out that there's an Australian television adaptation of them, and I think they might even be showing on one of the digital channels now.

When I was in Australia, one of the Phryne Fisher books was discussed on the book show Kylie and I went to watch the recording of! :) Ever since then I've had the first book in the series on my wishlist. The books are quite pricey in the online bookshops I've taken a look at, though :(

I was struggling with All That Remains yesterday and I was seriously considering abandoning the book, but then I started reading it and now I've gotten to 374/438 pages and I'll be damned if I won't finish the book to see whodunnit, having given so much time to the book! :censored:  The rest of the Scarpettas will have to go, though!

Okay, All That Remains is seriously boring me now, I can see dumping the rest of the Scarpetta series in the free book trolley at the library after finishing this one :rolleyes:

I give you credit for getting as far as you did.  They seriously went downhill quick :/

I give you credit for getting as far as you did.  They seriously went downhill quick :/

I liked the books fine back in the turn of the century, but I guess I've read a lot better crime novels since then and these just don't compare any  more :(

I liked the books fine back in the turn of the century, but I guess I've read a lot better crime novels since then and these just don't compare any  more :(

I did as well...they were great mysteries.  I think she started throwing in a lot more technical stuff, and it really took from the mystery.  Maybe she thought she could sell them just by her name   :negative:

I was struggling with All That Remains yesterday and I was seriously considering abandoning the book, but then I started reading it and now I've gotten to 374/438 pages and I'll be damned if I won't finish the book to see whodunnit, having given so much time to the book! :censored:  The rest of the Scarpettas will have to go, though!

I struggled a bit with All That Remains as well, but it was worth it, finally.

Re Scarpetta...gawd.  I don't know what happened to her, but the first, maybe 3, possibly 4 were ok.  After a while though I found that she seemed to be making up for lack of story with gore, and truly icky factoids and as was mentioned by Sofia, the (gruesome to me) technical detailing. 

I struggled a bit with All That Remains as well, but it was worth it, finally.

Re Scarpetta...gawd.  I don't know what happened to her, but the first, maybe 3, possibly 4 were ok.  After a while though I found that she seemed to be making up for lack of story with gore, and truly icky factoids and as was mentioned by Sofia, the (gruesome to me) technical detailing. 

What's bothering me is that nothing much seems to be happening, Scarpetta's only cooking and visiting a psychic and talking to Wesley and Marino and it's all talking and thinking. There's nothing happening! And I don't mean there has to be a lot of action, but there doesn't seem to be any. Give me Slaughter or Reichs, any day, over Cornwell.

What's bothering me is that nothing much seems to be happening, Scarpetta's only cooking and visiting a psychic and talking to Wesley and Marino and it's all talking and thinking. There's nothing happening! And I don't mean there has to be a lot of action, but there doesn't seem to be any. Give me Slaughter or Reichs, any day, over Cornwell.

I've never read anything by Slaughter (or Reichs for that matter), but I did pick up a paperback by her the other day...Fractured I think it's called....have you read it?  Any good?  Maybe I should pick up a few....I see them often at book sales