Your Book Activity ~ March 2013

Kylie

I finished Gillian Rubinstein's Skymaze, the second in a trilogy about kids who go inside a computer game. It was written in the 80s, so the technology is a bit dated! Next, I'll start on the third book, Shinkei.

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doing quite well with Forest Mage. I'm still feeling quite sympathetic towards Nevare and it's getting interesting. There was a part where he thought he was being watched in the forest and he started running and I ended up speeding up my writing because I could just feel it. :D

Making a start on Terminal World by Alastair Reynolds.  According to the blurb it's "equal parts steampunk, western, planetary romance and far-future SF".  It had better be! :D

Only 100 pages to go in Wolf Hall although i am enjoying it i want to hurry up & finish it as i'm itching to make a start on  the biography of J.L. Carr i borrowed from the library.

I recently bought the three sequels to Grave Sight when I saw them on sale (on a book fair), I look forward to hear/read what you think of it! (I checked GoodReads first so that's why I commented there too :P).

I did like the book and the whole idea of the series, but I did have a problem with the first title: for once I knew 'whodunnit' and that was a bit of a let down for me as I'm used to being really clueless :shrug:

I'm currently reading Yes Man by Danny Wallace and I'm really enjoying it :)

Finally decided to get back into Martin's A Song of Fire and Ice series, and have raced through Storm of Swords I: Steel and Snow. I thought I was making rather good progress before remembering that's only halfway through the book, and a long, long way to go before making headway in the series as a whole. Ah well, hoping he gets his writing boots on in the mean time.

Edited by Ben

Finished Colleen Hoover's 'Hopeless', I can't remember the last time I finished a book in one day (involving a 1.30 am finish though so will be shattered today). An excellent YA read, but for older teens only as fairly graphic and dealing with upsetting issues.

I started Requiem, the last in the Delirum series by Lauren Oliver yesterday, and am already a third of the way through. I will probably then finish it today. That will be my 22nd book already this year.

Edited by Talisman

This morning I've totted up how much I've spent on books this year so far, and realised I've been rather zealous in my spending!  Decided I need to cut down a bit on the money spent, so I've been searching out free ebooks, and have downloaded a whole load of 'em, mostly classics or books on special promotion from the publishers, and have filled up a whole new wishlist of potential reads for the future too.

I finished Wolf Hall this afternoon & look forward to discussing it in the reading circle. My next read is The Last Englishman The Life of J.L. Carr by Byron Rogers.

28% through A Storm of Swords II: Blood and Gold and it's really starting to come along nicely..

The narrative has picked up pace, much more seems to be happening all of a sudden, and I'm intrigued about what Martin's got for me next..

From my Kindle freebies downloaded this morning, I decided to start The Thirty-Nine Steps by John Buchan, cracking adventure, and I'm already two-thirds of the way through.  And here's a note for the oldies - I have the theme tune to Dick Barton - Special Agent running through my head while reading it! :lol:  I should point out I'm not old enough to remember it being aired on the radio, but it had a resurgence when I was young for some reason, so it sticks with me from then.

Haha - I'm not old enough to remember it either, but as soon as I read it, off it went in my head! :lol:

The Thirty-Nine Steps is a cracking book.  I really should read some more Buchan.  My Mum recommended Prester John - it was her father's favourite book, I think.  :)

ETA:  I think I know the theme tune to Dick Barton from The Two Ronnies!  I'm pretty certain it was used in a recurring sketch - maybe The Phantom Flan-flinger of Old London Town?!  :lol:

Edited by Janet

Haha - I'm not old enough to remember it either, but as soon as I read it, off it went in my head! :lol:

The Thirty-Nine Steps is a cracking book.  I really should read some more Buchan.  My Mum recommended Prester John - it was her father's favourite book, I think.  :)

ETA:  I think I know the theme tune to Dick Barton from The Two Ronnies!  I'm pretty certain it was used in a recurring sketch - maybe The Phantom Flan-flinger of Old London Town?!  :lol:

:lol: I think you're right, Janet, it probably was The Two Ronnies. We've just been talking about it and both have a recollection of it being used in Dangermouse too. I did a quick search, and apparently the Monty Python team used it for the Spanish Inquisition sketches as well.

I'll have a look for Prester John after I've finished The Thirty-Nine Steps, thanks. :D

I finished The Pearl Savage today. It wasn't a very well written book but I am interested in what happens next (it's the first in a series), this one was free on kindle though and the rest aren't, not sure if I want to pay for it.

Am trying to decide what to read next on the kindle. Have a couple of review books which need reading or I might pick one from my book jar.

I've been reading Home Front by Kristin Hannah and. Home Front is really good and will either get a 4/5 (****) or a 5/5 (*****), if the story keeps being so good and gripping probably 5/5.

So glad you are enjoying Home Front Athena.

I am enjoying 'The Story of Us' by Marcia Preston ....should be finished it soon.

From my Kindle freebies downloaded this morning, I decided to start The Thirty-Nine Steps by John Buchan, cracking adventure, and I'm already two-thirds of the way through.  And here's a note for the oldies - I have the theme tune to Dick Barton - Special Agent running through my head while reading it! :lol:  I should point out I'm not old enough to remember it being aired on the radio, but it had a resurgence when I was young for some reason, so it sticks with me from then.

My mum bought The Thirty-Nine Steps for me when I was a kid.  I loved it - it was one of those books I treasured until I made the mistake of leaving it on the chair.  My uncle then proceeded to sit on it and almost bend it in half in the process.  I've been traumatised ever since :banghead:   (but I've never left a book on a chair since)  :lol:

I'm 200 pages into Alastair Reynolds' Terminal World :smile:

I've read and finished three books: John Wiley and Sons - A Little Something for Everyone for Dummies, Rachel Hawthorne - Love on the Lifts and Kristin Hannah - Home Front. I spent quite a few hours reading in the weekend (as I planned), it was very enjoyable (I hadn't read much the days before the weekend).

I hope you are enjoying Terminal World, Karsa :).

I think I've lost my mojo.. can't finish Martin's Song of Ice and Fire, started a few more books, but I can't feel them properly. I hate when it happens. I'm going to the library this afternoon and I'll sit there for a while waiting for the right inspiration. :cry:

I think I've lost my mojo.. can't finish Martin's Song of Ice and Fire, started a few more books, but I can't feel them properly. I hate when it happens. I'm going to the library this afternoon and I'll sit there for a while waiting for the right inspiration. :cry:

Here's hoping your mojo returns soon, there's really nothing worse.. :friends3:

According to my Kindle I'm now 58% through A Storm of Swords II: Blood and Gold and it's got even better since I last posted. Without posting spoilers I can't say much more, but anyone that's read it will know that events start to move quickly. I'm really excited to see where it's going now.