Your Book Activity ~ March 2013

Kylie

Fell asleep last night on the sofa. I meant to finish Instructions for a Heatwave, but was so tired so I thought I'd 'rest my eyes for a moment'. Two hours later, I woke up..... :doh:

Once I finish that today, I'll make a start on Wolf Hall for fiction, and The Big Necessity: Adventures in the World of Human Waste (yes, toilet waste!) for non-fiction.

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm reading Kristin Hannah - Home Front, which is really good so far (I'm about one fourth in I think, I haven't read that much in the past few days). I'm also reading John Wiley and Sons - A Little Bit of Everything For Dummies, which is a Kindle freebie with various chapters from the For Dummies series. Some are more interesting than others, to me, but I'm liking it so far. The writing style makes it easy to understand.

@ bobblybear

I hope you like The Reality Dysfunction, I really liked it. I haven't read Pandora's Star yet, because it's a big hardcover book and it's a bit heavy (I only bought it in hardcover because it was cheap). Some day though I'll have to get over that and read it, because I do think it'll be a great book.

Edited by Athena

Hi BB, it was very good, it was different to MBY, more romantic, maybe I'd just mark it a 4.5 where I marked MBY as a 5, definitely worth a read. :)

Thanks Chalie. Looks like yet another one to add to my wishlist.

@ bobblybear

I hope you like The Reality Dysfunction, I really liked it. I haven't read Pandora's Star yet, because it's a big hardcover book and it's a bit heavy (I only bought it in hardcover because it was cheap). Some day though I'll have to get over that and read it, because I do think it'll be a great book.

I hope to get to it later this year. It certainly is a chunky sized book!

Just finished Instructions for a Heatwave. Will gather my thoughts about it for a while.

Edited by bobblybear

@ bobblybear

I enjoyed Pandora's Star but I found the sequel, Judas Unchained, was a real let down and it put me off reading his Void Trilogy.  The Night's Dawn trilogy is his best, imo, and his Greg Mandel books are worth checking out, too :smile:

Currently 410 pages into The Way of Kings.

Chalie, I can't remember if you read Me Before You by Jojo Moyes. If you have, is it as good as that one? I saw a book by her while I was in the library yesterday, but didn't borrow it. :doh:

Thanks bobbly, that's what I wanted to ask :D Unfortunately my library doesn't have a copy of MBY which quite a few people on here have loved and recommended, but they do have a copy of this other book and I've been wondering if I should try that instead.

Hi BB, it was very good, it was different to MBY, more romantic, maybe I'd just mark it a 4.5 where I marked MBY as a 5, definitely worth a read. :)

Thanks! I think I have to give it a go someday :)

I finished A Separate Peace last night and started reading Case Histories by Kate Atkinson after that. I got into it right from the get go, this might prove to be a great read :o

I enjoyed Pandora's Star but I found the sequel, Judas Unchained, was a real let down and it put me off reading his Void Trilogy.  The Night's Dawn trilogy is his best, imo, and his Greg Mandel books are worth checking out, too :smile:

Thanks for the tip, Karsa. :smile:  I recall trying Judas Unchained but put it down very early on. I shall re-read Pandora's Star before I try the sequel again.

My best friend managed to find a favourite Romanian series for Kindle...been reading than non stop for the past couple of weeks. I can't believe I'm at the last (fifth) volume right now! So far March has been excellent for reading. 

I have just started to read ( or re read) a book that invaded my dreams recently. It's Manda Scott's 'Hen's Teeth'. Great characters, taut storyline and descriptive enough for me to be able to fully absorb the story through my senses. Currently I can smell coffee, straw and dog, and I can feel the heat coming from the rayburn. :smile:  

Not going well?...

I'm still waiting for something - anything - to happen :lol:  I'm guessing he gets paid by the word - that's the only reason I can come up with for all the talk about jam and/or stew.  Do these fantasy authors have any idea how long it takes to make a stew?  Oh, we've just spent all day getting slaughtered by the enemy.  Tell you what, let's make a stew :doh:  :giggle2:

I've been reading Home Front by Kristin Hannah and A Little Bit of Everything For Dummies by John Wiley and Sons. I've read most of the chapters of the latter, that interest me. Not sure how to rate it, I liked the ones I was interested in, but the ones that didn't interest me, I stopped reading after a little while. I guess 3/5 (***), since I liked some chapters and not others. Home Front is really good and will either get a 4/5 (****) or a 5/5 (*****), if the story keeps being so good and gripping probably 5/5.