When the Film was better than the Book

bree

Have to agree with what some others have said, The Notebook is much better as a movie than a book. The film doesn't follow the same plot as the book, but it's actually a much better plot in my opinion.

The problem with the ending in the film compared to the book is that there is a sequel(ish), The Wedding where Noah appears. In the movie, they both die.

Edited by Michelle
Spoiler tag added

You're kind of spoiling it there.. I've already seen it but perhaps you could edit your post to add [ spoiler ] tags?

I'm sorry! I didn't even think about it.  :doh:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have to say I prefer Peter Jackson's adaptation of The Lord of the Rings trilogy to Tolkien's books. Not because I don't like the books - I've read and re-read them many a time - but because the films are so brilliant at capturing that "epic" feel and scale. The soundtrack alone brings it to life in a way that Tolkien's occasionally dry and lengthy prose doesn't.

Plus, the films neglect to mention the existence of Tom Bombadil - this is definitely an improvement on the book.

The jury is still out on The Hobbit, though. 'An Unexpected Journey' was much better than, well, expected, but I'm a bit anxious to see what they're going to do with the next two . . .

I just finished reading The Devil Wears Prada.  I loved the film but the book didn't have the same effect at all.

i read the book before I saw the film, and thought the book had a bit more of an edge to it, so I thought it was better, but I do love the film, and I thought Emily Blunt was fantastic in it.

I just finished reading The Devil Wears Prada.  I loved the film but the book didn't have the same effect at all.

I liked the film ok, but couldn't even finish the book.  Too bloody irritating!

I don't know if this counts as it's TV, but I liked the Morse series on TV with the late great John Thaw as Morse far more than the books.  I've only read a few, but I found them a bit dry(ish) after seeing Thaw as Morse.

Edited by pontalba

I don't know if this counts as it's TV, but I liked the Morse series on TV with the late great John Thaw as Morse far more than the books.  I've only read a few, but I found them a bit dry(ish) after seeing Thaw as Morse.

John Thaw was brilliant .. did you ever see him in Goodnight Mister Tom pont? .. such a total change from Morse or Jack Regan but equally marvellous.

John Thaw was brilliant .. did you ever see him in Goodnight Mister Tom pont? .. such a total change from Morse or Jack Regan but equally marvellous.

No, but I've heard of it, and that it was marvelous.  I have seen, I think the name is, Into the Blue, and A Year in Provence.  Loved both.

• 3 weeks later...

I always shoot people down when they say a film is better than a book, however I have found one book to be second place compared to it's film and this was the hunger games.

The book for me was average when compared to the film and despite the fact that usually a film misses out tonnes of important stuff the book for me would not have made me think i'd love to see that as a film!