Your Book Activity Jan 2013

Michelle

I'm so sorry to hear your news, Carm. *hugs*

I've had a rare and lovely day full of reading. :) I'm about 3/4 of the way through The Casual Vacancy and I've read a little more of Stiff.

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so sorry to hear about your news, carm :(:friends0:

Welcome back, JudyB! :friends3:

Finished Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier, it was wonderful, beautiful written, suspenseful and unpredictable, I thought I had it sussed a quarter of the way in, boy was I wrong!! I'll definitely be reading more of her books in the future. :)

I'm so happy you enjoyed this! :) I'll be looking forward to seeing which other books by her you'll be reading in the future and what you make of them.

I've had a rare and lovely day full of reading. :) I'm about 3/4 of the way through The Casual Vacancy and I've read a little more of Stiff.

Wohoo, sounds like a good start for a whole new reading year! *knocks on wood, hard!* How are you getting along with Stiff?

I finished reading The Secret Life of Bees and I can't believe I haven't read it before, it was wonderful! I started reading Uncle Tom's Cabin after that, I've had it on my TBR for years and I felt it made a nice continuation with the theme of TSLoB. I already got to page 100 or so, and it's nothing what I expected it to be, I'm enjoying it immensely! :)

I'm so happy you enjoyed this! :) I'll be looking forward to seeing which other books by her you'll be reading in the future and what you make of them.

I'd love to get one now but I'm sticking with my resolve to get cracking on my TBR pile first, though I could possibly sneak one on my Kobo when I've read what's on there.. I'm allowing myself one Kobo read for every 2 or 3 tree book reads. :)

I finished reading The Secret Life of Bees and I can't believe I haven't read it before, it was wonderful! I started reading Uncle Tom's Cabin after that, I've had it on my TBR for years and I felt it made a nice continuation with the theme of TSLoB. I already got to page 100 or so, and it's nothing what I expected it to be, I'm enjoying it immensely! :)

So glas you enjoyed A Secret Life of Bees the second time around, I found it to be such a humbling read..

Wohoo, sounds like a good start for a whole new reading year! *knocks on wood, hard!* How are you getting along with Stiff?

Yep! I'm making hay while the sun shines! (i.e., while work is quiet).

Stiff is going well, although I still haven't read much yet. I'm mostly focusing on TCV.

Ooh, I have both on my TBR pile. I'm glad they're great!

I'd love to get one now but I'm sticking with my resolve to get cracking on my TBR pile first, though I could possibly sneak one on my Kobo when I've read what's on there.. I'm allowing myself one Kobo read for every 2 or 3 tree book reads. :)

Hehe, well seeing as a Kobo read for every 2/3 tree book reads is part of your 2013 resolve, too, I dare say you should acquire a Daphne du Maurier title! :giggle2:

I always confuse Daphne du Maurier with Susan Hill for some very odd reason :blush: I was actually going to suggest you join the reading circle next month as Janet will be hosting The Woman in Black reading, and then just before I clicked 'add reply' I realised you were talking about the other author, not Susan Hill! :doh:

So glas you enjoyed A Secret Life of Bees the second time around, I found it to be such a humbling read..

It's so odd I couldn't get into it the first time I tried reading it, as I really truly enjoyed it now. I'm so glad I didn't get rid of the book back then. I think some of the credit goes to members on here who've loved the book and recommended it :)

Yep! I'm making hay while the sun shines! (i.e., while work is quiet).

Wohoo for it being quite on the work front!

Stiff is going well, although I still haven't read much yet. I'm mostly focusing on TCV.

That would only make sense, as there's a continuing plotline in TCV (isn't that odd, for a work of fiction :D) whereas Stiff you can read in bits and pieces.

Ooh, I have both on my TBR pile. I'm glad they're great!

I would've thought you had read both already! Oh I imagine you will like both of these very much :yes:

almost halfway through The Light Between Oceans

got some books from Amazon (xmas gift card)

A Friend of the Family-Lauren Grodstein

Sharp Objects-Gillian Flynn (if you haven't read Gone Girl, you should! ) )

A Twisted Ladder-Rhodi Hawk

Bad Marie-Marcy Dermansky

The Witchcraft of Salem Village-Shirley Jackson (this is actually a kids book, but if Shirley Jackson wrote a phone book, I'd buy it)

Thank you so much everyone for your kindnesses-I appreciate the more than I can say. I'm still working on The Passage; Life of Pi and Tiny Birds Fly Away. I think reading three at a time is a bit much as I don't seem to finish anything so I'm going back to two at a time -much more manageable for me

Hi everyone. It's been ages since I've been her ethers been a lot of upheaval in my life. I lost my job a d my husband passed away so I've been pretty down and upset. It's nice to know I can always come her thanks Michelle As for my reading. I'm reading The Passage; Tiny Birds Fly Away and Life of Pi I. Also getting over a stomach virus so I haven't really read much this week

So sorry for your loss carm

I gave up on PopCo quite early, I just wasn't getting into it at all. I think it was you to whom I mentioned The End Of Mr. Y, by the same author? If so, I hope you won't be discouraged by PopCo from trying Mr. Y, because as I say, I didn't even make it 90% of the way through PopCo, but I LOVED Mr. Y.

Yes, it was me. I still have The End of Mr. Y on my wishlist but I'd be lying if I said PopCo hadn't put me off a bit. I enjoyed PopCo until the end when it felt more like an amateurish lecture. :banghead: But a few reviews on Amazon have mentioned that the two books are different, so I won't rule it out. I also have Bright Young Things which I got for £0.20 so I'm not quite ready to give up on Scarlett Thomas; I'm just a bit more wary now!

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy Pop.Co... Maybe it was the italian translation that made the whole thing more enjoyable?! The end of Mr.Y is one of the bokk I love the most, anyway.

I'm 70% through Games of thrones and it's really good.

And I'm really really sorry for your loss, Carm. There's not much more to say.

I always confuse Daphne du Maurier with Susan Hill for some very odd reason :blush: I was actually going to suggest you join the reading circle next month as Janet will be hosting The Woman in Black reading, and then just before I clicked 'add reply' I realised you were talking about the other author, not Susan Hill! :doh:

They write similarly don't they and Susan wrote the sequel to Rebecca (called Mrs de Winter) so no wonder you get them mixed. She started it :D

Yes, it was me. I still have The End of Mr. Y on my wishlist but I'd be lying if I said PopCo hadn't put me off a bit. I enjoyed PopCo until the end when it felt more like an amateurish lecture. :banghead: But a few reviews on Amazon have mentioned that the two books are different, so I won't rule it out. I also have Bright Young Things which I got for £0.20 so I'm not quite ready to give up on Scarlett Thomas; I'm just a bit more wary now!

I get annoyed with her because there's so much potential in her stories but she doesn't always end them well. I preferred The End of Mr Y to PopCo so fingers crossed you will too bobbs.

Really getting into The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern ... I love it and I've heard there is to be a film .. oh don't mess it up now. Also reading American Wife and Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? :D (ha .. not me .. much :blush2:)

They write similarly don't they and Susan wrote the sequel to Rebecca (called Mrs de Winter) so no wonder you get them mixed. She started it :D

You know you're right, it's totally her fault! (Actually when I bought Mrs de Winter which is actually called Rebecca's Cousin in Finnish (all the more confusing!) I actually thought it was by du Maurier herself. :blush: Well, I suppose it's all good since I like both authors, it would be terribly annoying if I hated the other but always bought her books by mistake, when I was looking for the other's titles :D

Really getting into The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern ... I love it and I've heard there is to be a film .. oh don't mess it up now. Also reading American Wife and Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? :D (ha .. not me .. much :blush2:)

Woolf ought to be afraid of you! :D I'm so happy you're enjoying the play! :)

I'm happy to say that my reading mojo has resurfaced :D and I'm reading for pleasure again instead of forcing myself to read! It's like finding a long lost friend :smile:

Awwww, yay! I'm so happy for you, pipread! :friends3::exc: Whatcha reading? :)

Thank you frankie :D I think getting back to normal after a stressfull lead up to christmas did the trick. I've nearly finished

The 100 Year Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared

have you read it? It's got just about everything in it you could want, including quirky humour - definately worth a read. :smile:

Thank you frankie :D I think getting back to normal after a stressfull lead up to christmas did the trick. I've nearly finished

The 100 Year Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared

have you read it? It's got just about everything in it you could want, including quirky humour - definately worth a read. :smile:

Ah yes, Christmas and the time before... No matter how much we might love it, it is a pretty stressful time!

As it just so happens, I have read the 100yo. Man, and I have to say it was really funny :D I struggled with some of the parts where Allan's background was told, I kept getting confused with all the political characters and such, but I loved the parts of the story where the actual story was moving along. A good read! :)

Congratulations!! :flowers2:

Thank you! :smile:

Ah yes, Christmas and the time before... No matter how much we might love it, it is a pretty stressful time!

As it just so happens, I have read the 100yo. Man, and I have to say it was really funny :D I struggled with some of the parts where Allan's background was told, I kept getting confused with all the political characters and such, but I loved the parts of the story where the actual story was moving along. A good read! :)

I have been a bit confused at times as well and had to go back to check names and details, but on the whole I've really enjoyed it, it's certainly full of surprises! :smile:

So sorry for your loss Carm :friends3:

I finished Fifty Shades Darker by E. L. James and have started Fifty Shades Freed by E. L. James. I'm actually enjoying it a lot more than i thought i would!

I saw both the EL James you mention in my local MIND shop on Monday.

Didn`t buy either.

Am reading Brazil by Michael Palin right now. :smile:

Thank you itsmeagain-I appreciate. I read the fifty shades trilogy-not a big fan. I also read the 100 year old man-very quirky and fun. Worked a little more today on Life of Pi but really need to get to the Kindle books I started

That would only make sense, as there's a continuing plotline in TCV (isn't that odd, for a work of fiction :D) whereas Stiff you can read in bits and pieces.

Haha. :DStiff has become my book to read when I have a spare minute or two, so I'm literally reading one paragraph at a time. Once I've finished TCV, I'll be able to devote more time to it.

I would've thought you had read both already! Oh I imagine you will like both of these very much :yes:

I think I will too. :)