Your Book Activity Jan 2013

Michelle

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started Les Miserables at Christmas and I'm not even half way through yet. I'm not getting on well with it to be honest but I really don't want to give a book up unfinished this early in the year.

Oh No! I was planning to read 'Les Miserables' next, so this doesn't bode well if you're not enjoying it.

Finished Destiny of the Republic by Candice Millard, Dangerous Instincts by Mary Ellen O'Toole, Ph.D. and Alisa Bowman last night, and Hit Me by Lawrence Block tonight. Small reviews on my book log/blog here.

Not sure what is next. I think possibly Invisible by Paul Auster. My husband just finished it.....

Edited by pontalba

Completed I Capture The Castle last night - and I wish I'd read it growing up.

Dodie Smith has perfectly "captured" the mind of a seventeen-year-old.

Have picked up Bangaldeshi written Taslima Nasrin's Lajja to read next.

It has a huge significance for those of us in the Indian sub-continent - as it based on true incidents born of horrific communal conflict.

Though the original is in Bengal, and my copy is an English translation, I am looking forward to reading it.

Finished A Possible Life- Sebastian Faulks yesterday and stayed up too late writing a review for my blog! It was a bit hit and miss for me, but does really show what Faulks can do. Think it would make a pretty good boook club book actually.

Started Against My Will by Benjamin Berkley. I'm reading it as part of a book tour I've been asked to take part in.

Went to the library to get out a book for the challenge I'm running. It was a bit difficult as B'ham library is moving soon and they appear to have packed away about 99% of their books. I doubt there were many more on their shelves than there are in my personal collection! Did come away with Deep Powder by Dirk Robertson though which seems to fit the criteria- something I would never normally contemplate reading.

finished The Light Between Oceans (loved it) and will start A Friend of the Family tonight

I dithered about buying that one, and finally did, and now am dithering about when to read it. Soon. Soon. :crazy:

......It was a bit difficult as B'ham library is moving soon................

LOL For a split second I thought you meant Birmingham, Alabama, USA...I took a double take, as I know you're in the UK!! :doh:

Whoops! Almost forgot to post about what I'm reading. lol Reading Invisible by Paul Auster. Husband just finished it, and now we both realize we've read it before. Duh!

S'ok, neither us us remembered the end. hee hee

Edited by pontalba

I'm 130 pages into 11.22.63 by Stephen King and its absolutely brilliant so far. This is my first ever King novel and like his style!

I'll be interested to hear what you think of this. I read it last year. I don't usually like Stephen King, but this one fascinated me.

I finished The Good German last night. It took a bit to get into, but I think that was because my mojo went walkabout for a couple of weeks. I enjoyed it in the end.

Have put Homicide to one side (again) and am reading Three Men In a Boat. It was a Kindle freebie, a classic apparently.

I loved Three Men in a Boat. :)

I finished off a quick read today: Misery Bear's Guide to Love & Heartbreak. Back to reading The Casual Vacancy.

I'm still making my way through Ghost Story by Peter Straub. It's very good, I adore the characters. Nearly there - it's 800 pages on my Kobo and I'm 668 pages into it, so I'm hoping to finish it today and move on to finishing the second Merlin book by T. A. Barron.

I'm still reading Uncle Tom's Cabin and it's not as good as it 'used to be'. Oh, those were the days.. :D It's still okay, but it's probably not going on my all-time favorites list.

Uh oh!