Your Book Activity Jan 2013

Michelle

I made a start on The Blood Spilt by Asa Larsson this morning. I'm having a few issues trying to recall what happened in the first book in the series though.

I was going to say that for some reason I have 'The Blood Split' but not 'Sun Storm'. Then I realised that the book has a different title in the UK :doh:

I look forward to seeing what you think of these ones though. Both of the books I've read by Swedish authors so far have been good, so the author's nationality has piqued my interest. :blush2:

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read the first one in the series, The Savage Altar last year and thought it was ok if not spectacular. If you like the Swedish crime writers then I would recommend the books by Jo Nesbo from Norway if you haven't read them already, I have enjoyed them greatly.

Edited by Brian.

How long does it usually take?

Well I'm about 70% through and I've read two books in between, so probably every hundred and fifty pages or so. :D The thing is, it's just so densely packed with details, all of which are quite similar (yet still interesting enough to read) that it's too much to read in one go.

I think I'm off to read The Beach. I'm hoping to finish it today!

Hope you are enjoying it. :smile:

So I've finally finished 'The Stand' by Stephen King and it was absolutely brilliant. The best Stephen King novel I have read. Now I'm about to read 'The Casual Vacancy' by J.K Rowling. I have had this sitting on my book shelf for a couple of months now, so it's about time that I started reading it!

So I've finally finished 'The Stand' by Stephen King and it was absolutely brilliant. The best Stephen King novel I have read.

I'm really glad to hear that, Karen. It's such a good read!!! Hopefully you didn't feel let down by the ending (I think you mentioned in another thread that you were a bit worried about how it would end).

I'm really glad to hear that, Karen. It's such a good read!!! Hopefully you didn't feel let down by the ending (I think you mentioned in another thread that you were a bit worried about how it would end).

No I wasn't let down by the ending. Due to the face that I have the special edition, I may have had a different ending to the regular paperback, but it certainly makes an impact.

I finished Sharpe's Havoc this morning & already had something else in mind for my next read but been feeling the love for The Beach Alex Garland so can't resist making it my next read :D

I finished Sharpe's Havoc this morning & already had something else in mind for my next read but been feeling the love for The Beach Alex Garland so can't resist making it my next read :D

I seem to have kicked off a The Beach reading spree.

I just finished reading 'Insatiable' by Meg Cabot. I definitely enjoyed it, but I'm not sure that I liked it enough to read the rest of the books in the series.

Now I don't know what I'm going to read for the rest of the month D:

No I wasn't let down by the ending. Due to the face that I have the special edition, I may have had a different ending to the regular paperback, but it certainly makes an impact.

Is the Special Edition the same as the Uncut version? That's the one I have read.

I finally finished Homicide, which was such a great read. I don't think I've read a crime book so detailed. It was kind of exhausting!

I'm now going to make a start on The Drowning Pool by Syd Moore. It's seems to be a ghost story of sorts, set in England. It received positive reviews so I'm hoping I'll enjoy it. I haven't read a ghost story in yonks.

I've started The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out Of The Window And Disappeared this morning. Enjoying it so far. :smile2:

Wohoo! Looking forward to seeing how this goes for you :)

Well I'm about 70% through and I've read two books in between, so probably every hundred and fifty pages or so. :D The thing is, it's just so densely packed with details, all of which are quite similar (yet still interesting enough to read) that it's too much to read in one go.

That's not bad at all :D And I can't believe you have now finished it, you must've read a huge chunk of it today!

So I've finally finished 'The Stand' by Stephen King and it was absolutely brilliant. The best Stephen King novel I have read. Now I'm about to read 'The Casual Vacancy' by J.K Rowling. I have had this sitting on my book shelf for a couple of months now, so it's about time that I started reading it!

I'm really happy you liked The Stand, it's pretty awesome! :)

:D Why should you, just dig in!

I seem to have kicked off a The Beach reading spree.

Don't let it get to your head :P

I finished The Beach, it was really great, I'm so happy I read it! :) Now I've just started The Suspicions of Mr Whicher, Or the Murder at Road Hill House by Kate Summerscale. I'm off to a slow start, first there was the introduction which I decided to skip in case of spoilers, then I studied the map of the premises for a while, then sighed when I turned the page and there was a family tree, but I studied it closely, too. Then I moved on to the three page long list of characters (another sigh). At this point I was thinking the book had better start in the next page, but no. There was a 'Note On Money'. Well thank you for that, I suppose it will come in handy at some point... And then: Prologue.

Prologue sounds promising, it usually comes right before the first chapter right? The story can now officially start, yes? Please?

And yes, yes it did :D Phew!

That's not bad at all :D And I can't believe you have now finished it, you must've read a huge chunk of it today!

Yep, I read for about 3 hours straight, only pausing to watch bits of Back to the Future which was on telly. :thud:

I am now over half way into Les Miserables. You will not beat me!!!!

Also started and finished Divine by Blood by P C Cast which I thought was the last one in the series but at the end of the book there was a chapter from the next instalment. :roll:

Deep Powder is still awful, and now has also included a lovely sex scene which seemed completely pointless to the plot. However it does seem to be getting a plot now, which is a slight improvement.

Yesterday I went to The Works and came out with Diary of a Jetsetting Call Girl, The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest and (thanks to everyone seeming to love it on here) 3 Men and a Boat.

Spoke to amazon on the phone. They won't replace my kindle but say they can offer me an 'upgrade' to a kindle touch for £67.99 (which is £2 less than the standard kindle). However I really don't see any advantage to the touch and they don't seem to sell them on amazon anymore which suggests they may not be the best kindle anyway. I told the woman on the phone I didn't want a kindle touch, I wanted what I already have but she couldn't offer me anything else. For now the boyfriend has lent me his kindle (cause he's awesome like that) so I can finish the book I was reading on it which was for a blog tour. My sister thinks that all electrical goods are meant to come with a 6 year warrenty so am going to have to look into that.

Lucybird, I was in Currys yesterday and had a play with the Kindle Touch and wasn't that impressed. For myself, I wouldn't get one instead of a regular Kindle. The writing seemed a bit faded and the page turns were slower. Also it was a bit awkward where you have to place your hands to turn the pages. I don't know about the 6 years warranty, I think it's more of an open rule that it has to last for a "reasonable length of time".

Yep, I read for about 3 hours straight, only pausing to watch bits of Back to the Future which was on telly. :thud:

Yeah but that was in the future so you didn't miss any 'now' time :giggle: Well done, bobblybear!

I am now over half way into Les Miserables. You will not beat me!!!!

That's the spirit! :D Just keep at it, and you'll do just fine :yes:

Thanks. I read it, I'm sure amazon would saya kindle should last more than 13 months so this may be worth persuing.

I'm so sorry to hear you're having such a hard time with it :empathy: But don't give up, maybe something comes up!

I got to page 46 on The Suspicions of Mr Whicher. It's not at all what I thought it would be (damn you Crippen by John Boyne, you set the bar so high :D), but I've now slept over it and have adjusted my expectations accordingly so it should be okay and I'm looking forward to reading more.

Yeah but that was in the future so you didn't miss any 'now' time :giggle: Well done, bobblybear!
:lol:

I don't know if filling in your books at LibraryThing counts as "book activity"?

I'm thinking of starting a small (light) book so that when I travel I can take that with me rather than the Wheel of Time book I'm reading (which is a bit heavy (many pages)). I'm not sure yet what I'll start to read though, I'm thinking about either a relatively small Charles Dickens novel or a chick-lit type book, or maybe The Hunger Games 2: Catching Fire, hmm or maybe Lone Wolf, some people here liked it.. hmmm... Any thoughts (so much to pick from! it'll depend on my mood in the end though)?

Finished the second T. A. Barron - Merlin book. Review of first two books here.

At the moment I'm quickly re-reading The Importance Of Being Earnest out of celebration of going to see it on stage for the first time in a couple of weeks!