Your Book Activity Jan 2013

Michelle

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So far this year I have read and enjoyed 4 very different books! I am beyond delighted. :D

I thought I had started well by reading the excellent 'Hitler's Canary' by Sandi Toksvig, but having finished 'My Sister Lives On The Mantlepiece' by Annabel Pitcher today I am blown away with excitement for my reading in 2013. I highly recommend both of these young adult books. Now to devour my next read!

Thanks for the help and sympathy :smile: I've tried coaxing the missing mojo back but that hasn't worked so now I'm trying to be hard! I'm making myself pick up my kindle and read at least two chapters a day of my last downloaded book - The 100 Year Old Man Who Climbed Out Of The Window.......a book I think I should enjoy, my reward if I finish it will be to download Phantom - Jo Nesbo. If that doesnt work nothing will :blush2:

I read several Jo Nesbo books in a row last year when I was stressed and couldn't settle to reading anything else at all. They worked a treat! :)

My long-awaited parcel of books finally arrived this afternoon - and have started on The Tenderness of Wolves.

A few dozen pages in, and I can't but appreciate the writing.

It feels like every sentence was put down for a purpose - and constructed with care.

Glad your parcel finally got there, bree! :)I read The Tenderness of Wolves for the second time for the Reading Group, but although I admired the book greatly I can't say I actually liked it.

I finished reading The Beach last night and today I have started The Hot Zone by Richard Preston. It was recommended to me by work colleague and it is an account of dangerous viruses and how that came to the 'civilized' world.

The Zombie Survival Guide - Max Brooks

I was a bit disappointed in this. It started off entertaining and amusing, but then it got extremely repetitive. I still plan on reading World War Z though and the movie looks fantastic.

Started Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein. It was adapted into one of my favourite sci-fi films ever so it has a lot to live up to!

I read this recently, and you've just reminded me that I still haven't got around to watching the movie. I'd imagine the book to be quite different to the movie (only guessing here) as a lot of what is discussed in the book probably wouldn't translate easily to film.

I'm reading and enjoying I Capture The Castle, but it's a hardback and I need a paperback to take into the bath with me! :D So I'm going to have another try at Blaze by Stephen King. I have started it twice before, but never got past the first couple of pages. But I'm usually in my lovely bubble bath for about an hour so hopefully that will make sure I get further with it this time!

I'm glad you're enjoying I Capture the Castle. Personally I'd be happy to take this into the bath in the hope of dropping it and rendering it unreadable, but I'm in the minority here! :giggle2:

I finished Tess of the d'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy today and am about to start Petals in the Ashes by Mary Hooper - a YA book and the sequel to the excellent At the Sign of the Sugared Plum.

ETA: Ooops - I thought this was the most recent post but I managed to miss two further pages of replies! :blush:

Edited by Janet

Well I'm about a third of the way through Rebecca, the writing is sublime, she had such a wonderful way with words and is able to put such detail into a scene that could very easily be dull in another writers hands..

It's one of my all-time favourite books, Chalie - I'm glad you're enjoying it. :D

I'm off to a slow start at getting in to a book.....'My Dear, I wanted to tell you'.....I know it will be good, but can't settle down to it as yet. Hope I don't have 'Chrissy' syndrome of lack of mojo!

Eeep, I hope it's not your mojo. I read this for book club last year - it wasn't what I expected (it was described on the front as being like Birdsong, but I preferred that) although I did enjoy it - it was much lighter than I imagined it would be.

I thought I had started well by reading the excellent 'Hitler's Canary' by Sandi Toksvig, but having finished 'My Sister Lives On The Mantlepiece' by Annabel Pitcher today I am blown away with excitement for my reading in 2013. I highly recommend both of these young adult books. Now to devour my next read!

I loved the former, and have the latter on my wish list. It's in one of my nearby libraries so I might see if it's still then when I next pass by. :)

I finished Tess of the d'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy today and am about to start Petals in the Ashes by Mary Hooper - a YA book and the sequel to the excellent At the Sign of the Sugared Plum.

I finished this a few days ago and it's definitely as good as the first book, if not better.. :)

I'm glad you're enjoying I Capture the Castle. Personally I'd be happy to take this into the bath in the hope of dropping it and rendering it unreadable, but I'm in the minority here! :giggle2:

:D Oh that did make me laugh, Janet! Still quite enjoying it but finding it maybe slightly too determinedly eccentric for its own good :)

I read this recently, and you've just reminded me that I still haven't got around to watching the movie. I'd imagine the book to be quite different to the movie (only guessing here) as a lot of what is discussed in the book probably wouldn't translate easily to film.

I am only about 30 pages in, the first chapter is not in the film at all, but a lot since then was. I was expecting them to tie-in much either but there have been a couple of direct lines that I recognise from watching the film far too many times.

I'd be interested to know what you think of this. There was a programme on TV last year (Part of the "Imagine" series) about Ian Rankin and a video diary of him writing this book. I've not read any of his Rebus books but this sounds quite an intriguing book.

So far it's good. Most of the Rebus books you could read out of order, but I think this one would be more understandable if you've read others. Knots and Crosses is the first Rebus. I've read it at least three times. It was very good and I highly recommend it.

Glad your parcel finally got there, bree! :)I read The Tenderness of Wolves for the second time for the Reading Group, but although I admired the book greatly I can't say I actually liked it.

Thank you Ooshie :friends0:

I couldn't sleep last night and sat up late and finished it.

What started off as admiration and eager anticipation, turned into reluctant disappointment around two-thirds, and I was actually mildly irritated at the end.

So I understand perfectly when you say that you admired it and didn't quite like it.

550 pages into the first Wheel of Time book. Only about 250,000 pages left to go . . . :rolleyes:

and how is it so far?

and how is it so far?

I can't make up my mind, to be honest. I'll finish it by the end of the week, hopefully (the first book, not the whole series :lol: ), and try and post some thoughts :smile:

Thank you Ooshie :friends0:

I couldn't sleep last night and sat up late and finished it.

What started off as admiration and eager anticipation, turned into reluctant disappointment around two-thirds, and I was actually mildly irritated at the end.

So I understand perfectly when you say that you admired it and didn't quite like it.

I can't believe you already finished it! :D

I started reading The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd. I tried getting into the book a few years ago and couldn't, and I haven't been keen on reading it after that at all, but yesterday I got to 112 before I feel asleep :D I'm loving it so far!

I've been naughty and 'borrowed' some e-books from a colleague at work :giggle: I think my TBR pile is about to grow exponentially!

The Illustrated Man - Ray Bradbury

I loved this so much, read it...last year or two years ago.

I finished Tess of the d'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy today

This book reminds me of my school years...in a good way! Our literature teacher used to give us summer reading to do and this was on the list. It was one of the few summer when I loved most of the books there, including this one :D

---

I haven't had a lot of time to read since I work weekends. But yesterday I started Freaks Like Us by Susan Vaught, then in the evening continued with The Handmaid's Tale. I'm very happy The White Road (Nightrunner #5) arrived earlier, so that will be my third book this week I think. I'm hoping to finish them all by Sunday.

Finally finished Chocolat by Joanne Harris

What did you think of it? I liked it, and I really liked the movie....mmmmmmm, Johnny Depp :D:blush2:

Started The Light Between Oceans last night

Edited by Sofia

Like I need more books....bought 'Gold' by Chris Cleave (the Other Hand). Looks like a good read. I enjoyed his other one. Well....it was only £3.85 in Tesco :hide:

Edited by Inver

I finished reading The Beach last night and today I have started The Hot Zone by Richard Preston. It was recommended to me by work colleague and it is an account of dangerous viruses and how that came to the 'civilized' world.

What did you think of 'The Beach'? I read this years ago and really enjoyed it, the film version however, is very disappointing and I remember feeling really annoyed that the film had parts which don't appear in the book :angry:

. I still plan on reading World War Z though and the movie looks fantastic.

I agree the film looks awesome. I cannot wait for that to come out later this year.

It'll be odd to see Brad Pitt in a zombie film though :giggle2:

I didn't even realise it was a book :blush2:

Edited by Star