Kylie's Literary Adventures in 2013

Kylie

I found Comet in Moominland and finished reading it today. A lovely, sweet book.

I'm also back to dipping in and out of Thinking in Numbers by Daniel Tammet, which I'm close to finishing. But now I'll mostly concentrate on The Dirt.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm over 100 pages into The Dirt and LOVING it. What a messed up, unlikeable bunch of guys. I just read the full details of the incident with Ozzy Osborne and the ants. :o I never knew that he did something else afterwards which is possibly even grosser. smiley-sick007.gif

I've got The Dirt on my wish list.

I have another book on the motley crue called Tattoos & Tequila written by Vince Neil on my shelf. Plan to read it soon.

Have you read the Heroin Diaries by nikki sixx? I read it over a year ago and immensly enjoyed it. The book I have is full of his art.

Edited by Devi

Devi, I haven't read The Heroin Diaries, but I've heard of it and might look into it after I've finished The Dirt. I wonder how much more detailed The Heroin Diaries can be? Each chapter in The Dirt is told from the point of view of the different band members, so I've already read quite a detailed account of Nikki's drug addiction and his antics.

I didn't realise Vince had also written a book; I might have to check that out as well. Do you like Motley Crue's music, or are you just reading the books because of their reputation (like I am)? I've started looking into their music a little, and I have to say that I like it a lot more than I thought I would. I don't like their 'glam' style, and I think all of the guys are total tools (that's an understatement, but I can't think of a better word that is appropriate for the forum). Their lack of respect for women (and people in general) is astounding. They don't even really appear to care about each other. I can't believe such nasty people got so many women.

Today I started and finished Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? by Edward Albee. I didn't find the characters particularly convincing. I found myself thinking (all the time) 'who would react like that?' or 'who would say that?' I found it difficult to understand the characters because of their (to me) implausible dialogue and reactions to situations. I think this is a feature I struggle with in many plays (more modern plays—not Shakespeare). I also found it difficult to believe that George and Martha were a middle-aged couple because they behaved in such an immature manner. Still, it was rather interesting, especially when particular revelations were made about the characters. I have the movie around somewhere, and I look forward to watching it. Despite my gripes, I'd rate it 7/10.

In the mail today, I received a graphic novel that I've been wanting to read for a while. The book is going to feature on the Book Club TV show next month, so I took the opportunity to splurge and buy it. It's called Jimmy Corrigan: The Smartest Kid on Earth by Chris Ware. It's supposed to be one of the best graphic novels around.

Devi, I haven't read The Heroin Diaries, but I've heard of it and might look into it after I've finished The Dirt. I wonder how much more detailed The Heroin Diaries can be? Each chapter in The Dirt is told from the point of view of the different band members, so I've already read quite a detailed account of Nikki's drug addiction and his antics.

I didn't realise Vince had also written a book; I might have to check that out as well. Do you like Motley Crue's music, or are you just reading the books because of their reputation (like I am)? I've started looking into their music a little, and I have to say that I like it a lot more than I thought I would. I don't like their 'glam' style, and I think all of the guys are total tools (that's an understatement, but I can't think of a better word that is appropriate for the forum). Their lack of respect for women (and people in general) is astounding. They don't even really appear to care about each other. I can't believe such nasty people got so many women.

Well i recommend checking out the herion diaries then, as he has completely changed from the drug addicted menace. It starts off explaining his drug experiences but goes on to tell how he has changed his life for the better today. He also released an album of the same name, which I really like. Its called The Herion Diaries by Nikki Sixx.

I enjoy their music, mostly the old stuff. It was only after a friend recommend their books that I started reading them. I can't speak for the rest but nikki has changed for the better.

• 2 weeks later...

I have finally finished reading Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain. It was an excellent book from start to finish. I highly recommend it, particularly to introverts, but also to extroverts who want to understand the introverted people in their lives. The ending came upon me pretty abruptly; I thought I had nearly 100 pages to go, but I hadn't realised all of that was notes! I have at least several other unfinished books still on the go; I haven't yet decided which one to read next.

When I was helping my BF shelve his books last week, I scored a couple of books that he had extra copies of:

CS Lewis: Mere Christianity

Graham Rawle: Return of the Lost Consonants (already read this; it's a humorous short book of pictures with captions in which Rawle has removed one letter to give the caption, and therefore picture, an entirely different meaning).

Adolf Hitler Mein Kampf (had this on my wish list for a while)

I really want to read this one, too, some day. Should be interesting... :hide:

I really don't think I could read this book. I would get so angry, I'd be yelling at it all the time and would probably end up chucking it across the room and stomping on it :motz: 

I would like to read Mein Kampf for the historical context even though I know I would find the content objectionable. The main reason I haven't read it yet though is that a lot of reviews say that it is really badly written and basically prolonged, disjointed rant.

Agreed, Brian. I've also heard that it's badly written. I think I might end up skimming through it because I don't want to get bogged down in bad writing. It's a massive book and I imagine the ranting would get both infuriating and boring after a short while. Like you, I only want to read it for the historical context.

Poppy, I think a book like Mein Kampf deserves nothing less than being thrown around and stomped on! I think it's the only book I could be violent towards.  :lurker:

I have finally finished reading Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain. It was an excellent book from start to finish. I highly recommend it, particularly to introverts, but also to extroverts who want to understand the introverted people in their lives. The ending came upon me pretty abruptly; I thought I had nearly 100 pages to go, but I hadn't realised all of that was notes! I have at least several other unfinished books still on the go; I haven't yet decided which one to read next.

I have this on the shelf, glad to hear it's worth the read. :)

I really don't think I could read this book. I would get so angry, I'd be yelling at it all the time and would probably end up chucking it across the room and stomping on it :motz: 

Agreed, I have enough crap in my head. 

I actually bought it about 40 years ago, but couldn't bring myself to read it.

x

This is on my wishlist, I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it :)!

Quick reading update:

I finished reading Inkheart, which was jolly good but not quite up to my expectations. I felt it was rather long for the relatively few events that took place. I was expecting it to be more fantasy-oriented (my own fault)...I thought it involved going to another world - not just talking about it. Still, a good book, and I'll continue with the others in the trilogy, but not for a while.

I'm sorry it didn't live up to your expectations. But perhaps you should read the next book, maybe that would appeal to you more... wink wink! ;) *I'm hinting strongly but not spoiling anything!*

I'm over 100 pages into The Dirt and LOVING it. What a messed up, unlikeable bunch of guys. I just read the full details of the incident with Ozzy Osborne and the ants. :o I never knew that he did something else afterwards which is possibly even grosser. smiley-sick007.gif

Heheh I was so happy when I found out you were reading this book! :lol: And I'm so glad you liked it. It was just as good as you could've hoped for, right? And Lorelai wasn't exaggerating one bit, was she? :D

Today I started and finished Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? by Edward Albee. I didn't find the characters particularly convincing. I found myself thinking (all the time) 'who would react like that?' or 'who would say that?' I found it difficult to understand the characters because of their (to me) implausible dialogue and reactions to situations. I think this is a feature I struggle with in many plays (more modern plays—not Shakespeare). I also found it difficult to believe that George and Martha were a middle-aged couple because they behaved in such an immature manner. Still, it was rather interesting, especially when particular revelations were made about the characters. I have the movie around somewhere, and I look forward to watching it. Despite my gripes, I'd rate it 7/10.

I think one has to remember they were hella drunk. And George and Martha were quite bitter and there was a lot of pent-up resentment etc. But yes, they were rather over the top. I found it interesting and entertaining, though. Not that I liked how they were hurting each other, it was quite vile and disturbing, even, but it made a riveting read.

In the mail today, I received a graphic novel that I've been wanting to read for a while. The book is going to feature on the Book Club TV show next month, so I took the opportunity to splurge and buy it. It's called Jimmy Corrigan: The Smartest Kid on Earth by Chris Ware. It's supposed to be one of the best graphic novels around.

Are they doing a show in December? I just recently copy+pasted this years books to my reading log :)

They have a copy of this at the library, I fully intend to borrow it and read it at one point :) I'm really glad you liked it :)

I understand :empathy:  I feel it would make me mad, too, but I'm too curious not to read it or at least give it a go if I have the chance some day :shrug: I might end up throwing the book out the window after the first page, but I can worry about that when the time comes :D

Very belated replies to comments about my book fair haul (can't believe it has already been a month since I was there!)

Only someone .. as bookishly mad as we are .. would think that 70 books was 'being sensible' :D

Love your list Kylie .. some great books there (well all of them are .. I'm sure) I see you bought Red Dog .. awwwww :blush2: lovely doggy tale.

Sounds like you had a great time .. I can picture you chugging up that stairwell with all your books :D .. but you did the right thing. If your BF had started going through his books and you had left yours downstairs .. that would've been too sad  :( No pain no gain as they say. It gave you time to look at them and lick them etc .. that's what I would've done too :D

I saw the movie of Red Dog recently, and loved it, so I couldn't pass up the book. :)

I must admit that I didn't get around to licking them. I was too busy alphabetising them and piling them up on the table (and then re-piling them when I knocked them over TWICE).

Hi Kylie :friends3:  I'm going to go through older posts and catch up, but just so I won't forget, I'm now going to post this one particular (and peculiar) video link to you. Ex showed it to me the other day and said I have to show it to you, too :D

Here you go :cool:

I'm so embarrassed to say that I had to Google who Phil Rudd was.  :lurker: Typical Aussie male rock star I guess. (And everyone knows that Ringo Starr is the best drummer in the world! :P)

I'm so embarrassed to say that I had to Google who Phil Rudd was.  :lurker: Typical Aussie male rock star I guess. (And everyone knows that Ringo Starr is the best drummer in the world! :P)

:lol: Well he was not an original member, and it's not a band you listen to... right? :D (He's hot, though :o)

Frankie 

Kylie

Jeffrey Eugenides My Mistress's Sparrow is Dead
Is this a new book by him? :o I had no idea!
I probably should have added '(ed)' after his name, because it's a book of poetry that he has edited.

Homer The Iliad
Oh boy, this'll be a helluva read, me thinks.
I can't wait to read it. :) I think it'll be a lot more readable than I'm anticipating. I guess I should just dive in and get started (...one day).

Oscar Wilde De Profundis and Other Prison Writings
Hehe, I have this on my wishlist thanks to poppyshake. I hope you enjoy it!
Poppyshake is the reason I had it on my wish list too! (That woman is responsible for many books on my TBR pile/wish list! ;)) It should be very interesting. 

Mary Elizabeth Braddon Lady Audley's Secret
Oooh, jealous, me!

This looks like a great read, indeed!

Tom Wolfe Radical Chic & Mau-Mauing the Flak Catchers
Did he ever write a book with a normal title?
I think some of his more recent books have normal titles. I guess he has mellowed with time! (Or maybe stopped taking drugs?  :lurker:)

Adolf Hitler Mein Kampf (had this on my wish list for a while)
I really want to read this one, too, some day. Should be interesting...
Yes. I don't have high hopes for it because it's supposed to be pretty bad writing, but I'll see how I go!

Oh... I must say, I felt a stab in my heart :blush: The book trolley I used, when I was living with you, and now it's passed on to your BF... I'm so jealous!
Aww. :( What if I told you that I gave him my trolley and I used yours? And he didn't use it as well as you did! (I mean that your book selections were much better. ;)

Hehe, I remember us talking about Murakami... You were the one who initially found all them books and I was so jealous, and later on I happened to check that particular table and found so many of them, and then you were jealous... But of course we were both so happy for each other. Remember how you found a book titled Frankie?

You were soooo good at spotting all the best books (and often passing them on to me!) I'm always convinced that I miss many great books because you're not there to help me. :(

You would not believe how often the name 'Frankie' pops up everywhere! I always forget to tell you of 'Frankie' sightings, but I see them on TV shows and books/magazines etc.

I miss you too. :(

So odd that you haven't been able to work out what edition the other book is!! :o Like, what the hell???
I know, right? I'll have to have a closer look. I was mostly going by the first few and last few books listed. It just has to be one of the editions, but it didn't seem to match any of them! I'm glad at least that it's not identical to the other edition I bought.

I have to go and buy some groceries before the shops shut for the night, but I'll reply to your other post about my books when I get back. So sorry it has taken so long to reply!

:lol: Well he was not an original member, and it's not a band you listen to... right? :D (He's hot, though :o)

Oops, I only read the text. I didn't check out his pic. I'll have to go and Google him again.

I like a couple of AC/DC's songs and have been meaning to check out more for ages. I think I could really like them. :)

Andrea Barham The Pedant's Revolt
Andrea Barham The Pedant's Return
Okay, so what is this deal? :) Although I guess we had it coming: the other person not knowing ( :o) what was the story behind buying certain books.

I didn't realise until after I got home that I already had a copy of The Pedant's Revolt:rolleyes: They are the types of interesting books that you can dip in and out of. The subtitles are 'Why Most Things You Think Are Right Are Wrong' and 'Why Most Things You Think Are Wrong Are Right'.  :blink:

Bill Bryson Troublesome Words
Are you going to help Bryson with the difficult words? :giggle2:

Haha. I wish! How awesome would it be to be his editor?!

Simone de Beauvoir A Very Easy Death
Wohoo, de Beauvoir! :)

Yay! But this one will be rather depressing, I think. It's about when her mother died of cancer. :(

Al Franken Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them
!! I don't remember why, but I have this on my wishlist. Do you have any idea why?

Yes, it's on the Rory list! I was sooo excited to find it. I absolutely love the title. When I showed it to BF, he said that he has read it and that it is an excellent read. :)

Julie Powell Julie & Julia
Do you like Meryl Streep? She's in the movie :shrug: Oh, remember how you and I talked about how you like Isla Fisher, and I like Amy Adams? Well Amy Adams does a great job in this movie. Although I had no idea it was Amy Adams, she has such a different haircut and of course she does a great job being not-like-her-own-self.

I really liked the movie and would recommend it. But I only watched it because of Meryl Streep :shrug: So if you're not a fan of her or Adams, maybe it's not for you.

I like both of those actors, so I will be sure to watch the movie. :) I'll try to read the book first though.

Jon Ronson The Psychopath Test
I'm so happy you got this, because I remember you were jealous when I borrowed this from the library! :D (I didn't read the book :blush:)
I'm so embarrassed. After I posted this, I realised I already had the book! Doh! :doh: Considering it's a book I had wanted so badly, I can't believe I forgot I already had it! What's even worse is that the copy I already had is a perfect-sized book for my shelf, but the copy I bought is a trade paperback (annoyingly large, but I got it anyway because I didn't want to pass up a chance to get the book so cheap). So I can't even use it as a replacement copy.  :blush2: 

Kate Atkinson Case Histories
This is a great one, I hope you enjoy it! :)

I was really hoping I would find this after all of the recent rave reviews on the forum!

Michael Cunningham A Home at the End of the World
Oh!! Hehe I remember how you and I just talked about this... I'm still happy you found the book, and I really, really hope you like it!!! :)
Yes! I cannot tell you how much I have searched for this book (just based on your recommendation). At every single book fair I've seen many copies of his The Hours, but never ever AHatEotW. And now, you finally decide to bump it from your list and of course I suddenly find a copy! Unbelievable. But I wasn't going to pass it up because I know you enjoyed it once and I've wanted it for so long now.

Louis de Bernieres Red Dog
Son of a gun, I'm really jealous!!! :D

Aw. I knew you'd be pleased that I got a doggy book. :D

Kerry Greenwood Phryne Fisher #5: The Green Mill Murder
Kerry Greenwood Phryne Fisher #15: Death by Water
Kerry Greenwood Corinna Chapman #2: Heavenly Pleasures
Kerry Greenwood Corinna Chapman #4: Trick or Treat
Kerry Greenwood Corinna Chapman #5: Forbidden Fruit
:D Oh dear, I should go and see how much the first book in the Phryne Fisher series is... I could now actually afford buying a copy...
Maybe you could find a cheap copy secondhand, or maybe in the library? This reminds me that I still haven't finished reading the first book. I'm trying to get through a few of my unfinished books before the end of the year, so I think I'll make this one a priority.

*Francois Rabelais Gargantua and Pantagruel
Nice!!! :)

Yep. I already had a copy of this, but I purposely bought another copy because this one looks nearly new and my original copy is rather tattered.

Voltaire Candide
I can't wait til you read this.... :giggle2::D It's so out there!! 
I will try to put this near the top of my TBR pile. After yours and Poppyshake's reviews, I'm so curious about it!

Kylie, on 16 Oct 2013 - 04:35, said:snapback.png

Frankie said: I think one has to remember they were hella drunk. And George and Martha were quite bitter and there was a lot of pent-up resentment etc. But yes, they were rather over the top. I found it interesting and entertaining, though. Not that I liked how they were hurting each other, it was quite vile and disturbing, even, but it made a riveting read.

I haven't read the play, but was fortunate enough to see it live on Broadway last year in New York.......and of course I've seen the Elizabeth Taylor/Richard Burton film.

What Frankie said ^^^^^^^. 

Long simmering bitterness plus drunkenness make lousy filters.  IOW, no filter at all on the mouth.  Everything comes out.

I thought the dialogue was plausible, and even logical given the time frame it took place in, and the pain they were both in from the past. 

Disturbing?  Oh, yeah.  Painful to hear?  yes.    Fascinating.  Definitely.

I think actually it was scarily like Burton and Taylor's real life from what I've read. That must be why they were so brilliant in it.

I wonder how many times they went off the script to launder their own businesses and the director had to yell 'cut!'. :hide:

Edited by frankie

I think actually it was scarily like Burton and Taylor's real life from what I've read. That must be why they were so brilliant in it.

I wonder how many times they went off the script to launder their own businesses and the director had to yell 'cut!'. :hide:

Very, very true.  Gawd.  Not a set I'd want to be on.....watch out for flying missiles!

It must just be me, then. I don't know anyone who speaks like that in real life, not even when drunk. I just found it bizarre.

Their bitterness quotient was extremely high, to say the least.  I think most people hide it pretty well to outsiders.  One never knows what goes on behind closed doors, and we never know what really goes on in another's marriage/relationship.

I received Andrey Kurkov's Death and the Penguin in the mail today. I couldn't help but start reading it straight away (as if I don't already have enough books on the go!  :roll:) Only a few pages so far.

I received Andrey Kurkov's Death and the Penguin in the mail today. I couldn't help but start reading it straight away (as if I don't already have enough books on the go!  :roll:) Only a few pages so far.

Wohoo! :D Maybe you'll like it so much that you'll just keep reading and finish it :yes::friends3::readingtwo: :readingtwo: