Steve's Bookshelf 2013

Karsa Orlong

:giggle2:   Not just me then :giggle2:

A couple of Christmases ago I ordered the World of Warcraft: Cataclysm expansion pack from Amazon, and then all that snow came in and it didn't turn up, so I got a refund and went and bought a copy in the shops.  Then after New Year the Amazon one arrived :lol:  I never told them . . .

This happened to us too with about three different packages! They were all stuck at the sorting offices and Amazon sent out replacements, bless them. :lol:

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice review. :D You said it's 'another first contact story': do you ever find that these kind of stories all feel a bit samey after a while? Or does he manage to handle each one in a way that feels different?

They've all been very different.  A Deepness in the Sky was about two warring factions exploiting a newly discovered culture that wasn't as advanced as them.  A Fire Upon the Deep was about a family fleeing from a murderous AI with information that could destroy it, and crash landing on a planet where they meet the wonderful Tines (my favourite alien race in any book I've read, I think).  And The Witling is as per the comments above.  So yeah, all very different, not samey at all :smile:

They've all been very different.  A Deepness in the Sky was about two warring factions exploiting a newly discovered culture that wasn't as advanced as them.  A Fire Upon the Deep was about a family fleeing from a murderous AI with information that could destroy it, and crash landing on a planet where they meet the wonderful Tines (my favourite alien race in any book I've read, I think).  And The Witling is as per the comments above.  So yeah, all very different, not samey at all :smile:

Hmm. You make them actually sound interesting. :giggle2:

Not having read much (any) SF I've always had the general impression that it's all very similar; but then, others would say the same about fantasy. I think the 'science' bit always puts me off. What's the general ratio of science to fiction would you say?

Hmm. You make them actually sound interesting. :giggle2:

:lol:  That's cos they are! :D

Not having read much (any) SF I've always had the general impression that it's all very similar; but then, others would say the same about fantasy. I think the 'science' bit always puts me off. What's the general ratio of science to fiction would you say?

In Vinge's books, probably about 70 (fiction) to 30 (science).  What I find with him is that he stacks all the difficult science bits at the start, and it can be quite mind-boggling, but once I get it clear in my head the rest of it is a joy to read.  The science in his books is more about providing a backdrop, or some problems, for the characters and the stories.  He's one of the best - if not the best - writers of characters I've come across so far in SF :smile:

I'd completely disagree with the impression that all SF is very similar.  I think that's an accusation that could more readily be levelled at fantasy in the past, although that has started to change, thankfully, in more recent times.  I think, so far, there's been far more scope in SF to tell different kinds of stories. 

Great review Steve, I have A Fire Upon the Deep slowly making it's way up my TBR pile.

Thanks Tim :smile:  Make it get up the TBR pile faster :D

:lol:  That's cos they are! :D

Well, Fire is on my wishlist, so I'll find out one way or the other. Eventually. :giggle2:

In Vinge's books, probably about 70 (fiction) to 30 (science).  What I find with him is that he stacks all the difficult science bits at the start, and it can be quite mind-boggling, but once I get it clear in my head the rest of it is a joy to read.  The science in his books is more about providing a backdrop, or some problems, for the characters and the stories.  He's one of the best - if not the best - writers of characters I've come across so far in SF :smile:

As long as there's more fiction than science then I could probably handle it. The science bits put me off for the same reason as I dislike fantasy that goes into too much detail about magic systems - too much faff and not enough imagination. I'm sure you can think of a few examples of the latter. :rolleyes:

I'd completely disagree with the impression that all SF is very similar.  I think that's an accusation that could more readily be levelled at fantasy in the past, although that has started to change, thankfully, in more recent times.  I think, so far, there's been far more scope in SF to tell different kinds of stories. 

I can see why it could easily be said about fantasy too. As I said, I've never actually read any SF, so my opinions are rather prejudiced and unfair. :lol:

Book #64:  The Bloody Crown of Conan by Robert E. Howard

conan2_zps774991bd.jpg

From Amazon:

In his hugely influential and tempestuous career, Robert E. Howard created the genre that came to be known as sword and sorcery–and brought to life one of fantasy’s boldest and most enduring figures: Conan the Cimmerian–reaver, slayer, barbarian, king.

This lavishly illustrated volume gathers together three of Howard’s longest and most famous Conan stories–two of them printed for the first time directly from Howard’s typescript–along with a collection of the author’s previously unpublished and rarely seen outlines, notes, and drafts.  Longtime fans and new readers alike will agree that
The Bloody Crown of Conan merits a place of honor on every fantasy lover’s bookshelf.

Thoughts:

This is the second of three volumes from Del Rey collecting all of Robert E. Howard's original Conan stories.  This one gathers three longer tales, including Howard's one and only full-length Conan novel.

THE PEOPLE OF THE BLACK CIRCLE

Amid the towering crags of Vendhya, in the shadowy citadel of the Black Circle, Yasmina of the golden throne seeks vengeance against the Black Seers. Her only ally is also her most formidable enemy–Conan, the outlaw chief.

THE HOUR OF THE DRAGON

Toppled from the throne of Aquilonia by the evil machinations of an undead wizard, Conan must find the fabled jewel known as the Heart of Ahriman to reclaim his crown . . . and save his life.

A WITCH SHALL BE BORN

A malevolent witch of evil beauty. An enslaved queen. A kingdom in the iron grip of ruthless mercenaries. And Conan, who plots deadly vengeance against the human wolf who left him in the desert to die.

I thought all three of these stories matched the best of those in the first volume, The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian, and it was interesting and exciting to see how Howard was able to deal with the character in the longer form.  I think it's safe to say that the characters other than Conan are largely stereotypes.  There's no mistaking who's good and who's bad, there's usually a beautiful woman in trouble who ends up falling into Conan's arms, demons usually take the shape of snakes or apes.  But Howard somehow makes it work.  I guess you have to bear in mind that these stories were first published in 1934 and 1935, and basically created building blocks for an entire genre. 

His writing is vivid and verbose yet the pace he sets, even in these longer stories, is breathless.  The novel, The Hour of the Dragon, covers a huge amount of ground without anything that resembles padding, sweeping you along as Conan, then King of Aquilonia, loses his throne and is then cast into exile, beginning his long path to vengeance.  The People of the Black Circle sees him as the leader of outlaws, drawn unwittingly into another's quest for revenge against the sorcerers who killed her brother.

A Witch Shall Be Born sees Conan as largely a background character, a captain of the queen's guard, nailed to a cross and left to die whilst the monarch's evil twin sister comes to claim what she believes is rightly hers.  I found this one particularly interesting, as Howard played around with the narrative, keeping Conan largely in the background.

These Del Rey collections are beautifully illustrated throughout and, after the stories are done, contain a wealth of additional material, from first drafts to fragments of ideas to different treatments of the stories, plus essays on Howard and his work.  These are great books to dip in and out of.

By Crom!  Highly recommended! :D 

8/10

Ooooh, picture book! :D

Great review! I'd like to read these some day - it'll be interesting to bear in mind that they were one of the main starting points for the entire genre, and I'd like to be able to see how far sword & sorcery has come in the years since. Although, as you say, it'll be hard not to think of certain things as stereotypes (even though he probably invented some of these stereotypes!)

Ooooh, picture book! :D

Don't worry, it's not a comic book, so you'll be okay :empathy::giggle2:

Great review! I'd like to read these some day - it'll be interesting to bear in mind that they were one of the main starting points for the entire genre, and I'd like to be able to see how far sword & sorcery has come in the years since. Although, as you say, it'll be hard not to think of certain things as stereotypes (even though he probably invented some of these stereotypes!)

Thanks!  Yeah, definitely some stereotypes and repetition (which is why I tend to dip into the stories, rather than read them all at once), and some attitudes from those times, as you'd expect.  Well worth a look, though :smile:

You can read A Witch Shall Be Born here and The People of the Black Circle here.  I'm sure all the others are there, too, if you searched for them :smile:

Don't worry, it's not a comic book, so you'll be okay :empathy::giggle2:

Good, good. :D

Thanks!  Yeah, definitely some stereotypes and repetition (which is why I tend to dip into the stories, rather than read them all at once), and some attitudes from those times, as you'd expect.  Well worth a look, though :smile:

You can read A Witch Shall Be Born here and The People of the Black Circle here.  I'm sure all the others are there, too, if you searched for them :smile:

Thanks for the links! :) I have to say, that's some seriously amazing cover art. Ahh, the classics. :giggle2:  

I can now see the advantages of having some books on Kindle, especially when you're reading them in public. :lol:

:lol:

You say that, but the Kindle versions would probably still have the illustrations, like the ebook of Titus Groan does :giggle2:

Gary Gianni did the illustrations for the Del Rey books, not just Conan but all of Robert E. Howard's work that they publish (I've got the Solomon Kane collection as well).  He's also done the artwork for next year's Song of Ice & Fire calendar :smile:

Gary Gianni did the illustrations for the Del Rey books, not just Conan but all of Robert E. Howard's work that they publish (I've got the Solomon Kane collection as well).  He's also done the artwork for next year's Song of Ice & Fire calendar :smile:

Hmm, I may have seen some of his work in my 'Art of ASoIaF' book, although there were lots of different contributing artists. Some were really good, whereas others spoiled it a little by caricaturing the characters too much. The only books I've ever read with pictures before are Dickens novels with Cruikshank sketches.  

I may have to invest in that calendar. :D

I trust the Solomon Kane books are a damn sight better than the film? :)

I trust the Solomon Kane books are a damn sight better than the film? :)

I don't know, I haven't read any of them yet :D

I'm currently 120 pages into Titus Groan and quite bored with it.  Not sure if I'll carry on or not, but it isn't doing a lot for me at the moment. :shrug:

I'm currently 120 pages into Titus Groan and quite bored with it.  Not sure if I'll carry on or not, but it isn't doing a lot for me at the moment. :shrug:

Sorry to hear that Steve i thought it would be right up your street  :smile:

I was curious about it.  I didn't think it would be my kind of thing, from everything I've heard about the trilogy before now, but I wanted to give it a try for the RC.  I think it's one of those books where I'd have to be in exactly the right mood to enjoy it, and I'm obviously not at the moment.  I'll see how I feel this evening, but I think I may put it to one side and come back to it another time.  I don't like giving up on books, though :(

I was curious about it.  I didn't think it would be my kind of thing, from everything I've heard about the trilogy before now, but I wanted to give it a try for the RC.  I think it's one of those books where I'd have to be in exactly the right mood to enjoy it, and I'm obviously not at the moment.  I'll see how I feel this evening, but I think I may put it to one side and come back to it another time.  I don't like giving up on books, though :(

I dimly remember it as a bit of a forced read in places - and I keep meaning to read the other two in the series and am a bit put-off by the idea of `more of the same`...

Despite that, the visuals really stay with you and I can remember lots of impression-making scenes - it`s just that the plot didn`t really hook me and I don`t recall feeling a connection with the characters. :smile:

Ooh, that probably didn`t help one bit. :giggle2:  :blush2:

Oh that's a shame .. I too thought you would love it :shrug: Tbh if you don't like it by now .. I don't think you will .. it doesn't really change. Is it not action packed enough? .. you see all those barbarian books have turned you into a bloodthirsty barbarian :D I don't think you'd better read that Russian novel after all :giggle: 

I dimly remember it as a bit of a forced read in places - and I keep meaning to read the other two in the series and am a bit put-off by the idea of `more of the same`...

Despite that, the visuals really stay with you and I can remember lots of impression-making scenes - it`s just that the plot didn`t really hook me and I don`t recall feeling a connection with the characters. :smile:

Ooh, that probably didn`t help one bit. :giggle2:  :blush2:

:lol:  Maybe not, but I think you've just summed up exactly what I've been feeling about it.  It's very vivid in places, but nothing much is happening, and the characters feel more like caricatures to me, like something out of a Gerald Scarfe cartoon (Peake's own illustrations in the book probably aren't helping in this regard).

Oh that's a shame .. I too thought you would love it :shrug: Tbh if you don't like it by now .. I don't think you will .. it doesn't really change. Is it not action packed enough? .. you see all those barbarian books have turned you into a bloodthirsty barbarian :D I don't think you'd better read that Russian novel after all :giggle: 

:lol:  No it's nothing to do with a lack of action.  Bring Up the Bodies didn't have any and it's the best book I've read this year, so lack of action isn't a problem for me.  Lack of anything happening so far is, though  :smile:

Anyway, I decided to push through.  Something in me just won't let me give up on a book this year.  I'm 170 pages in now.

Glad you're finishing Steve.  :)

I'm up to page 101 in the trilogy...I have the omnibus version.  It was a true slog through the first kitchen scene.....I had the urge to put the book down and wipe my hands.  Which, come to think of it, is pretty darned good writing! lol  I'll definitely finish now, but some is a slog, and some really peaks my interest.  He is just so bloody ponderous sometimes.  sheesh.

Edited by pontalba

Oh I don't mind ponderous, so long as it's ponderous with a purpose :giggle2:    I know what you mean about the first kitchen scene.

Anyway, 215 pages in now and I think something's about to happen . . .   :o  

I was looking at my current reading plan yesterday and realised I didn't think it through properly, and have left myself with several books on there that I'm not at all interested in at the moment.  I may have to change it :shrug:  Or just continue to ignore it :giggle2: