How do you read?

So how do you read? One handed or two, and if one which? Left is obvious but are you right handers different, or maybe you find yourself wishing books were written backwards for your convenience?

Anything else reading position wise you'd like to add.. maybe you stand on your head?

You can probably guess with having a baby I read with one hand, and yes my left. I like to read sitting lengthways on the sofa so my short (23 inch) legs can be comfortable and I can rest my back against the side.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always hold my book with my left hand but other than that it can vary how I am sitting. In the car I just try to be as comfty as possible, in my armchair my feet are propped up on the coffee table and in bed anyway I feel!

Um usually two handed or book is on table or rested on lap. I'm fidgety really, so I tend to read it in every way possible. One handed, two hanted, on a flat surface then move it to my lap or lay belly down on the floor and read it like that.

Um usually two handed or book is on table or rested on lap. I'm fidgety really, so I tend to read it in every way possible. One handed, two hanted, on a flat surface then move it to my lap or lay belly down on the floor and read it like that.

:sleeping-smiley-009 That's pretty much what I do!

Fidgeters of the world, unite! :tong:

I fidget when reading in bed too. Being able to see, turn the page and be comfortable at the same time is difficult in a bed. It is the same in the car too..

I also it in the armchair if upstairs. I rarely read on the table, but sometimes do. Mostly I sit on the settee.

It depends - if I'm eating lunch (at work, for example), I eat with my right hand and hold the book with my left, turning the pages with my right between bites.

If I'm in the bath, I hold the book in my right hand, as the shelf where my cuppa is sitting is on the left.

In bed or on the sofa, I hold the book in both hands.

I guess you could say I'm an ambidextrous reader...

I have recently started to use my right hand if my brew or something has to be on the left, or if I'm feeding bubs on the left side. I can still hold a book on the side I'm feeding her, but she now sometimes gets fidgety when I do.

I have had to master the art of holding the book and turning the pages with my right hand, just like many other things I have had to learn to do right handed.

It depends - if I'm eating lunch (at work, for example), I eat with my right hand and hold the book with my left, turning the pages with my right between bites.

If I'm in the bath, I hold the book in my right hand, as the shelf where my cuppa is sitting is on the left.

In bed or on the sofa, I hold the book in both hands.

I guess you could say I'm an ambidextrous reader...

I pretty much do the same as you. Except in the bath I have one of those wire shelf things you put across to put your soap in, so I put the towel on it to protect the book and hold it with one or two hands (or sometimes none, actually, they sometimes keep themselves open). It depends on my mood and the book.

When it comes to how I hold a book, no matter where I am I always hold the both with both hands.

Usually with my left hand at the top of the left page and my right hand at the bottom of the right page.

Usually I'm sitting in a chair in my office, so sideways with the book on my lap, legs crossed, left hand holding the book, but the right holding the pages down...

If I put the book flat on the desk, one of the cats will lie on it, so no dice there. :sleeping-smiley-009

I usually prefer to lie on the sofa on my right side, with the book on the sofa. Lying on my left side isn't as comfy. :lol: Or sometimes I'll sit cross-legged on the bed and read.

Another thing which I have to do - and I feel a tad self conscious about it (:sleeping-smiley-009), is that I have to put my bookmark under the line (or a few lines below that) of text I'm reading, and slide it down the page as I go. :lol: If I don't do that, I find I get distracted by the other lines below - my eyes tend to flit down to see what happens next. ;) I'm really trying to break myself of this habit, but it's very hard to do. Without the bookmark, I can't read it properly. Anyone else do this? :tong:

I'm so lazy - I hold it in both hands and have to be supported by cushions or a table!! :sleeping-smiley-009 So lazy... I find it really difficult to just hold it on one hand and keep ith in front of my face.

I also 'slump' over which causes some real neck/shoulder problems... Bad habits from when I was little.

Anyone have any advice? I find it really hard to be comfortable when reading.

... I find it really difficult to just hold it on one hand and keep ith in front of my face.

Me too! How do y'all stop the pages from flipping shut when holding it one hand? Don't you get hand-strain? :sleeping-smiley-009

Anyone have any advice? I find it really hard to be comfortable when reading.

Try reading it on your side on the sofa like I do. That's the most comfortable for me, because I'm lying down. :tong:

I also hold my book in my left hand with the thumb and pinkie holding it open. Although lately, because I've been reading brand new books and trying not to damage the spine, I've been holding it in two hands. I'm kind of relieved to be reading a second-hand book at the moment so I don't have to worry about the spine! It's not too tiring holding the book open with one hand.

Once I get to bigger, heftier tomes, I'll hold it in two hands and rest it on my lap.

As to reading positions, if I'm reading at work, I like to rest my feet on the edge of my bin (sometimes if I'm not careful my feet'll end up IN it rather than ON it :sleeping-smiley-009) In bed, I'll usually lay on my left side to read the right-hand page (while the left side is flat on the bed) and then roll over to read the other side :tong:)

Another thing which I have to do - and I feel a tad self conscious about it, is that I have to put my bookmark under the line (or a few lines below that) of text I'm reading, and slide it down the page as I go. :tong: If I don't do that, I find I get distracted by the other lines below - my eyes tend to flit down to see what happens next. :lol: I'm really trying to break myself of this habit, but it's very hard to do. Without the bookmark, I can't read it properly. Anyone else do this? :sleeping-smiley-009

The only time I've ever done that is if I'm reading a play aloud in class and I don't want to lose my place. I'm sure lots of other people do this though. :)

In bed, I'll usually lay on my left side to read the right-hand page (while the left side is flat on the bed) and then roll over to read the other side ;))

I think my husband would divorce me if I kept rolling from side to side whilst reading in bed! :lol: I tend to lie mostly on my right hand side, for quite a long time, and only swap to my left for a short while occasionally just to give me a change of position!

I have a favourite chair near a window where there is plenty of light so my eyes don't feel strained- like most people I tend to sit with the book on my left hand and turn the pages with my right hand. I can't sit for too long in one position though as my legs start to ache - especially if I have a cat as well as a book on my lap:) I've noticed that I also sit with my head slightly to one side and when I straighten up my neck it has started to 'clunk' - which is slightly worrying - getting old I guess:lol:

• 3 weeks later...