Devi's Mount TBR List 2014

Devi

Aww thanks, been getting there.

How many books are there in the set? I saw in your thread you listed four, and I only thought it was a trilogy (mine came in a box set). I am missing the fourth book if that's the case.

Amazon lists a publishing date for the 4th one (The Kill Order) as August 2012.  I was just going off a box set I saw on Amazon that had the 4th book- I thought it was a trilogy too.

Ah-ha!  Just seeing now that it is a prequel.  But comes last in the series. 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have The Kill Order, I don't know how it relates to the story and whether it's essential reading for it (I'll be able to tell you after I finish it though). I plan to read the original three and then the fourth one.

I'm also good with starting it after the read-a-thon / soon, if you both are okay with it (I don't know about Kylie..? Kylie if you read this, what would you prefer?). What about you, Devi?

Btw, I think it's good if we make a thread about it in the Group Reads forum, when we start, to discuss the books :). I'd be happy to make it but if either of you want to do so too feel free! I don't mind either way :).

I'm ready to go! I've been checking the Group Reads section to see if it had started yet and was worried I was missing something. :) I'm a late-comer to the party, so I'll let someone else set up the thread.

I have The Kill Order, I don't know how it relates to the story and whether it's essential reading for it (I'll be able to tell you after I finish it though). I plan to read the original three and then the fourth one.

This is what I plan too.

Btw, I think it's good if we make a thread about it in the Group Reads forum, when we start, to discuss the books :). I'd be happy to make it but if either of you want to do so too feel free! I don't mind either way :).

Why don't you make one soon, that way we can spread the word and some might want to join?  I'll be starting Monday, buut maybe we should post earlier?  I don't know... :lol:

I'm ready to go! I've been checking the Group Reads section to see if it had started yet and was worried I was missing something. :) I'm a late-comer to the party, so I'll let someone else set up the thread.

:006:

• 2 weeks later...

Two books from my latest small spree, showed up during the week. Was going to wait till they all got here but...

d4955028e442feea1ebd3774466a65bc_zps6e33

Two books from my latest small spree, showed up during the week. Was going to wait till they all got here but...

d4955028e442feea1ebd3774466a65bc_zps6e33

Hmm, I read the Calvino a few years ago and seem to remember finding it a bit confusing! It's very post-moderny. Hope you have fun with it. :D

Edited by Signor Finzione

Lovely new books! I'm very fond of the Vintage covers, and those are really love Penguin Modern Classics too. I'd love to buy more of the latter, but they're so expensive! :(

In terms of the actual content of the books, If On a Winter's Night a Traveller is one of my favourite books (I think I already told you that on FB  :blush2:), as is The Grapes of Wrath (although it's a pretty depressing book). Animal Farm is also brilliant. Enjoy! Actually, now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure I have the same edition of The Grapes of Wrath. I used to have the older Penguin Modern version (with the grey bar at the bottom) but I accidentally left it in an airport bathroom, so by the time I had to get a new one, the newer edition was out.

Devi- are you still around?  Finished Death Cure yet?  I am hanging on, just about 20 Chapters left for tomorrow/ today (it is 2:30am here right now).

In terms of the actual content of the books, If On a Winter's Night a Traveller is one of my favourite books

That's some high praise!  Both you, Laura and Devi are mentioning it!  I might have to check that out! 

And I lol'd at

I used to have the older Penguin Modern version (with the grey bar at the bottom) but I accidentally left it in an airport bathroom

:giggle2:

I don't know that I'd compare Calvino to Atwood. To me, they're very different authors. But yeah, I wouldn't necessarily call Calvino 'easy'. I've only read two of his books so far (the other one I've read is Invisible Cities). I think IOAWNAT was a much easier read; I rather struggled with Invisible Cities, although I can still acknowledge that it was very good. Calvino's unique writing quality is what I love about him.

I'd really recommend reading IOAWNAT. I was grabbed from the very first page, which wonderfully describes the main character (you, the reader) browsing through a bookstore. It was a rare 'mind-blowing' book for me.

No no, just the bathroom part was random lol

Oh, haha. I feel that I should clarify that I didn't actually take the book into the bathroom stall with me—I left it in the sink area and just forgot to pick it up on my way back out.

I always feel awkward taking a book into a public bathroom with me (on the rare occasion that I have—mostly when I used to spend all day at the hospital with my dad). If I want reading material, then I usually stick the book into my pants and hope it doesn't bulge too much.  :giggle2: Probably TMI, sorry.  :blush2:

I'd really recommend reading IOAWNAT. I was grabbed from the very first page, which wonderfully describes the main character (you, the reader) browsing through a bookstore. It was a rare 'mind-blowing' book for me.

Well, there is always my exceptions list ;)

Oh, haha. I feel that I should clarify that I didn't actually take the book into the bathroom stall with me—I left it in the sink area and just forgot to pick it up on my way back out.

If I want reading material, then I usually stick the book into my pants and hope it doesn't bulge too much.  :giggle2: Probably TMI, sorry.  :blush2:

:giggle2:

:006: Devi, again :P

Bathroom talk doesn't bother me. I am a bit of a tomboy and my best friends are guys, so I hear much worse :giggle2: You can only imagine. I laugh and roll my eyes, then they do it more. :giggle2:

I am going to go and read the first page of IOAWNAT now, made me more eager to read it.

I am only up to chapter 17 of the Death Cure, my reading has somewhat slowed due to release of a whole bunch of games this week.

I am only up to chapter 17 of the Death Cure, my reading has somewhat slowed due to release of a whole bunch of games this week.

I saw some photos on Facebook, I'm glad you're enjoying playing some games :). Have fun with both books (IOAWNAT and The Death Cure)!

So the Robin Hobb signing event was on last night, I was too unwell to attend so my sister went with my boyfriend. I had bought new cover editions as my old ones are well loved copies.

f1628395f23457925534423dfae8b721_zps1a5d

These are the new editions, pretty sure I posted these before.

48c9c2608db33e69fd1e80554bd5e641_zpse53d

My partner said when he mentioned who should she make them out to, she commented on how loverly my name sounded. :blush: