Devi's Mount TBR List 2014

Devi

Well, i managed to burn both my hands at the same time today...

As my friends would say, only I would manage to do that! :giggle2: Growing up I always managed to injure myself, i was on crutches at least 15 times, my right ankle is weak from all the twisting Incidents that happened, and I had my fair share of sprained wrists and tennis elbow.

Edited by Devi

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you both! I'm fine. I was getting something out of the oven when I started to wobble (balance issues) and the top of my hands bumped into the oven rack. I have been branded! :giggle2:

No blisters as of yet, I had them straight under the water. :)

Edited by Devi

I have been thinking about dipping my toes into some YA, any recommendations? Little to no romance in the recommends though if possible.

Edited by Devi

'My Sister Lives On The Mantelpiece' by Annabel Pitcher is wonderful, moving and original and I can thoroughly recommend it.

Beth Revis' 'Across The Universe' trilogy is well worth reading. There is a budding relationship in it, but the story is not focussed on it - there is too much other stuff going on. Thought provoking and well plotted.  

Devi

I read a John Green book not long ago called Paper Towns . I liked it a lot . I'm like you, I don't do romance books . This one had a small amount of the teenage boyfriend/girlfriend thing, but not enough to mess up the story .

What genre are you most interested in, Devi? Fantasy wise I'd recommend Maria V. Snyder's Poison Study and the other books in that series (Fire Study, Magic Study and also Sea Glass, Storm Glass and Spy Glass). I loved them, they're among my favourite books. I have also read some other good YA fantasy (ie. the Harry Potter series) and contemporary fiction's. I also loved The Hunger Games, but they do have an element of love in them. I also have some more YA books to read, I find myself mainly reading adult books most of the time though.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the recommendations so far and I am going to check them all out but Harry Potter. I had seen one of the movies (don't ask me which), but Daniel Radcliffe got on my nerves, and i don't know why. I tried reading the first book but kept hearing his voice narrating in my head, so had to stop. :giggle2: Don't hate me! :blush:

Fantasy is probably my favourite genre athena, but I will read everything but romance!

Edited by Devi

What a shame the HP movies spoiled the books for you. :( I'm not a fan of Daniel Radcliffe either, but I was lucky enough to have started reading the books before they made the first film. I'm glad I did - I think if I kept hearing his voice the whole time they would probably have annoyed me too! :giggle2:

I just remembered, a couple of other YA books I remember enjoying were The Sight and Firebringer, both by David Clement-Davies. They're from the PoV of animals (The Sight is about wolves and Firebringer is about a stag), but they're not twee or cheesy or anything (at least, I don't remember them being). :)

Ooh, and Terry Pratchett has written a few YA books too! :D

My go-to recommendation for YA is the Abhorsen chronicles (Sabriel, Lirael and Abhorsen) by Garth Nix. And you can never go wrong with a bit of Harry Potter! :)

Ooh, I loved the Abhorsen trilogy. :D

I alos enjoyed a couple of trilogies by Amanda Hemingway / Jan Siegel - The Sangreal Trilogy and Prospero`s Children. :smile:

Devi

I read a John Green book not long ago called Paper Towns . I liked it a lot . I'm like you, I don't do romance books . This one had a small amount of the teenage boyfriend/girlfriend thing, but not enough to mess up the story .

A friend have me Paper Towns for Christmas, I'm a little reluctant to read it as I gave up very quickly on Looking for Alaska..

A friend have me Paper Towns for Christmas, I'm a little reluctant to read it as I gave up very quickly on Looking for Alaska..

Looking For Alaska was John Green's first, and worst, novel (in my opinion). Paper Towns is his best. It is all about a mystery. A poetic adventure about chasing the mystery of who other people are. Endlessly quotable and, in spite of the success of The Fault In Our Stars, I believe Paper Towns is his most accomplished novel. I do hope you'll give it a go sometime!

Looking For Alaska was John Green's first, and worst, novel (in my opinion). Paper Towns is his best. It is all about a mystery. A poetic adventure about chasing the mystery of who other people are. Endlessly quotable and, in spite of the success of The Fault In Our Stars, I believe Paper Towns is his most accomplished novel. I do hope you'll give it a go sometime!

I definitely will now! I'm thinking I really need to get around to reading more or the books I have been given by friends. :)

I have been thinking about dipping my toes into some YA, any recommendations? Little to no romance in the recommends though if possible.

I ran across a YA series, dystopian that might be of interest.   The first one is called Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer.  I wrote a short review here... http://www.bookclubforum.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/11186-pontalbas-2013-reading-list/page-2?hl=+susan +beth +pfeffer .

It's post # 39.  I only rated it 3.5/5 at the time, but it's stayed with me fairly well, so maybe it should be a bit higher. :)

Also, have you read Miss Peregrines Home for Peculiar Children?  Also Adaptation by Malinda Lo, another sci-fi sort of YA series.

Yeah once I saw what looking for Alaska was about, I didn't want to read it. I don't want to read anything like it at all really, because of what we went through with my brother. Brings up too much stuff. Edited by Devi

I ran across a YA series, dystopian that might be of interest. The first one is called Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer. I wrote a short review here... http://www.bookclubforum.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/11186-pontalbas-2013-reading-list/page-2?hl=+susan +beth +pfeffer .

It's post # 39. I only rated it 3.5/5 at the time, but it's stayed with me fairly well, so maybe it should be a bit higher. :)

Also, have you read Miss Peregrines Home for Peculiar Children? Also Adaptation by Malinda Lo, another sci-fi sort of YA series.

It sounds right up my alley, shall check if the library has a copy. They have the first three books, is the fourth out yet?

No I haven't read Miss Peregrines but it is on my list now! Thanks for the recommends. :)

Edited by Devi

Ooh, I loved the Abhorsen trilogy. :D

I alos enjoyed a couple of trilogies by Amanda Hemingway / Jan Siegel - The Sangreal Trilogy and Prospero`s Children. :smile:

Writing a list as I get recommends! Going to the library to check out what I can get.

I just finished A Crown Imperilled. Review coming soon.

One more book to go, sad to see the end of a saga that I have been reading for the last nine years...

Edited by Devi

Ooh I look forward to your review! :)

What a triumph to be able to say you've read them all! I know how you feel, though. I'm hoping to do 'the big Feist read/re-read' next year, and even though I'm looking forward to it, it'll definitely be sad to see it end. :(

I just finished A Crown Imperilled. Review coming soon.

One more book to go, sad to see the end of a saga that I have been reading for the last nine years...

x

I look forward to read your review. That is sad yes :(. I hope to own and read the whole series at some point.. I own most of the books, just a few of the newer ones I don't have yet.