Devi's Mount TBR List 2014

Devi

Wow, that's a stunning book, Devi! And great to see your Magician's cover. Mine is a paperback which is mainly gold. I quite like it.

attachicon.gifRaymondEFeistMagicianCover.jpg

Ooh very pretty! :D Those editions always remind me of Robin Hobb's books. :)

Oh yes, definitely - I just feel I that I want to get through the first trilogy before reading the Empire trilogy, so that would mean reading Magician again (cos it's years since I read it) and then trying Silverthorn again, and hopefully not disliking it so much second time through  :smile:

I do know what you mean, and Magician isn't exactly a small book either! But you can read the Empire trilogy on its own . . . :D

Well, today is officially my 2 year anniversary on this amazing forum. Can I just say that I have never found such a good bunch of people, you are all kind and very friendly. This and my gaming forum have been the only two places that have kept me coming back month after month. What's best is there is no hatred towards one another, no trolling and no swearing - which deter me from other forums.

Here is to another great year ahead. :)

Thank you for having me here everyone.

Happy anniversary Devi! :) Totally agree about how nice it is here - it's the only forum I've ever been on that's never made me angry at some point. :giggle2:

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, today is officially my 2 year anniversary on this amazing forum. Can I just say that I have never found such a good bunch of people, you are all kind and very friendly. This and my gaming forum have been the only two places that have kept me coming back month after month. What's best is there is no hatred towards one another, no trolling and no swearing - which deter me from other forums.

Happy Anniversary Devi! :flowers2:

We've been criticised in the past for being too 'nice', but that's the way I like it. :)

Never such a thing as being too nice. :)

Thanks Chaliepud.

Edited by Devi

I was going to write a review doe the second last book in the Demonwar saga by Raymond E Feist, but when I started to write it I found it hard to say much without spoiling the story, so I will just do a mini one.

This book has a similar feel to what you get when you start the climb up a roller coaster. It builds up and sets the characters for the big drop on the other side, which is saved for the last book. You can feel something is coming, something big. I felt that this wasn't his best work, I think he is starting to tire of the world, though you can't blame him when he has been writing it for 30 odd years.

3/5

Last night I started Unwind by Neal Shusterman. It was so good I had to make myself put it down, I read 118 pages in one sitting.

Synopsis from goodreads:

The Second Civil War was fought over reproductive rights. The chilling resolution: Life is inviolable from the moment of conception until age thirteen. Between the ages of thirteen and eighteen, however, parents can have their child "unwound," whereby all of the child's organs are transplanted into different donors, so life doesn't technically end. Connor is too difficult for his parents to control. Risa, a ward of the state is not enough to be kept alive. And Lev is a tithe, a child conceived and raised to be unwound. Together, they may have a chance to escape and to survive.

I'm glad to hear you liked the Raymond E. Feist book although not as much as you could have perhaps. I look forward to read more of his works. I did read Magician once when I was a teenager but I barely remember anything from it. I'm glad to hear you're liking Unwind, it's on my wishlist.

Happy BCF Anniversary Deborah! .. here's to many more :flowers2: This is a brilliant place to be sure .. how lucky we are :smile: 

Thank you. :) that it is.

I've almost finished one of my current reads Unwind by Neal Shusterman, which is turning into a very good read. I can't help but keep thinking about a movie that is very similar, but for the life of me I can't remember the title of it.

I have the second book on the shelf from the library, which I plan on reading straight after the first. Third one is on hold for me at the library, just have to wait for a copy to become available.

Edited by Devi

Oh I just read Unwind a few weeks ago and absolutely LOVED it. I just started the second one in the series last night! I'd love to know what movie you're thinking of, too.

I found it! The movies was called The Island, here is a trailer

and this is the movie synopsis from IMDB:

"A man goes on the run after he discovers that he is actually a "harvestable being", and is being kept as a source of replacement parts, along with others, in a Utopian facility."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0399201/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Wow, and it has so many famous actors in it, and I've never heard of it!I think I prefer UnWind though, I like it being centred around kids and a whole world, not just an island. Also I think Unwind is potentially being made into a movie?

Wow, I didn't realise I was so behind in your reading list!

Well I found another book I really want to get. It's called Wastelands: Stories of the Apocalypse, its full of mini stories written by various authors - see below.

Synopsis from BD:

Famine, Death, War, and Pestilence: The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, theharbingers of Armageddon these are our guides through the Wastelands...From the Book of Revelations to The Road Warrior; from ACanticle for Leibowitz to The Road, storytellers have long imaginedthe end of the world, weaving tales of catastrophe, chaos, and calamity.Gathering together the best post-apocalyptic literature of the last two decadesfrom many of today's most renowned authors of speculative fiction, including George R.R. Martin, Gene Wolfe, Orson Scott Card, Carol Emshwiller, Jonathan Lethem, Octavia E. Butler, and Stephen King, Wastelands exploresthe scientific, psychological, and philosophical questions of what it means toremain human in the wake of Armageddon

Ah yes, I've had this on my wish list for a while, along with another one called Brave New Worlds (all dystopian stories). Actually, the editor of these collections, John Joseph Adams, has published a lot of great-sounding collections, including ones about zombies. :) I have many of them as ebooks now, including Wastelands, but I haven't read any of them yet.

I have been thinking about dipping my toes into some YA, any recommendations? Little to no romance in the recommends though if possible.

I second Pont's recommendation of Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. It's in the fantasy genre and is so well written - it's like one of those young adult books that could be aimed more at adults. It's utterly wonderful, and the sequel (Hollow City) is even better.

A very belated Happy Anniversary! It's been wonderful having you with us—you're an asset to the forum. :flowers2: Here's to many more years!  :alc:

Wow, I didn't realise I was so behind in your reading list!

Ah yes, I've had this on my wish list for a while, along with another one called Brave New Worlds (all dystopian stories). Actually, the editor of these collections, John Joseph Adams, has published a lot of great-sounding collections, including ones about zombies. :) I have many of them as ebooks now, including Wastelands, but I haven't read any of them yet.

I will have to check out Brave New Worlds, I am into anything post apocalyptic and dystopian books.

I second Pont's recommendation of Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. It's in the fantasy genre and is so well written - it's like one of those young adult books that could be aimed more at adults. It's utterly wonderful, and the sequel (Hollow City) is even better.

I've added it to my wish list, and higher up. I almost bought it the other day... almost.

A very belated Happy Anniversary! It's been wonderful having you with us—you're an asset to the forum. :flowers2: Here's to many more years!  :alc:

Aww, thank you so much :blush: Thank you for having me. :)

I just finished Unwind by Neal Shusterman.

6774af73f5d80a95882db54a137944ce_zpsbf55

Synopsis:

The Second Civil War was fought over reproductive rights. The chilling resolution: Life is inviolable from the moment of conception until age thirteen. Between the ages of thirteen and eighteen, however, parents can have their child "unwound," whereby all of the child's organs are transplanted into different donors, so life doesn't technically end. Connor is too difficult for his parents to control. Risa, a ward of the state is not enough to be kept alive. And Lev is a tithe, a child conceived and raised to be unwound. Together, they may have a chance to escape and to survive.

What a great read.

I couldn't help but think about the movie The Island though, and the many similarities they both have. Perhaps it was a bit of an influance on Neal. Just swap the teens with adults, harvest camps with an island and the knowledge the teens have of the harvesting; with the adults not knowing what they were cloned for and you basically have the movie of Unwind. Not that this is a bad thing. They both stand on their own, if anything the movie really added to the book for me. I kept having flash backs to the movie which bought back feelings I had while watching it, really adding to the atmosphere of the book. I hope that makes sense, and doesn't make me look odd. :giggle2:

3/5 stars.

Edited by Devi

Thanks little pixie :)

Currently 67 pages into the second book of the Unwind Dystology, this one has unwinding ads scattered here and there that I find a little distracting. They just pop up mid paragraphs and kind of pull you out of the story for a second.

Also finding it more painful to hold books open lately. I have a book seat but that doesn't help with larger books.