What's up in December?

Kell

Well I had a good day.

Yesterday I stayed late at work, though being an intern I don't get paid overtime (I get a fixed allowance for 32 hours a week). I stayed to help my co-worker get stuff done for the January student workshops, as I have tomorrow booked off (to go to my parents this evening for Christmas). I also came in half an hour early this morning.

The woman we're doing the work for, she organises things for first years, came in today, and she brought me and my co-worker each a €25 book voucher that can be used in most book shops around the country. I was DELIGHTED. Wasn't expecting anything, it was so kind of her.

On top of that, John Green (one half of the vlog brothers and well-known author) is coming to Dublin next February with his Fault In Our Stars tour - Noelette bought herself and myself a ticket each - she bought me mine as a thank you for staying late and helping her out. In addition, his adoreable brother Hank Green will be with him.

I am so stoked.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A funeral on Saturday. My wife's brother in-law died last night. We will make the drive on Friday, it is a 415 mile drive for us.

We cannot attend the funeral. There is a snowstorm that will dump lots of snow on a mountain range that we would have to cross and there are also high winds. We, after much thought, decided not to risk it. We feel bad about not attending.

Muggle, I'm sorry to hear about your wife's BIL. You can be sure everyone understands why y'all cannot attend the funeral. No one wants an accident, and driving in a snow storm in the mountains has to rank as one of the most dangerous undertakings around. I read about all the snow coming across the country. We are even getting freezing weather down here, no snow yet though!

The family will know they are in your thoughts and prayers, and that certainly counts.

We made a quickie trip to a town near here, only 40 minutes to our west today, shopped around. Typical small town stuff. Verra nice, shops.

They have a theatre as well, attached to the university there. Last week we attended a performance of Cirque Chinois, a fantastic circus troop that is on the lines of Cirque du Soleil. Gorgeous costumes, colors, and amazing acts.

Muggle, I'm sorry to hear about your wife's BIL. You can be sure everyone understands why y'all cannot attend the funeral. No one wants an accident, and driving in a snow storm in the mountains has to rank as one of the most dangerous undertakings around. I read about all the snow coming across the country. We are even getting freezing weather down here, no snow yet though!

The family will know they are in your thoughts and prayers, and that certainly counts.

:she: Exactly.

Last week we attended a performance of Cirque Chinois, a fantastic circus troop that is on the lines of Cirque du Soleil. Gorgeous costumes, colors, and amazing acts.

I've always wanted to go to one of the live Cirque shows. I've never been a great fan of circus's but theirs look absolutely fantastic. The costumes and acts look simply stunning.

I'm off work now until 2nd of January. This is the longest I've had off in years so I'm really looking forward to it.

I finished my Economics exam last Thursday, so that was a big relief as it means I can now relax over the holidays instead of studying. :crazy:

I got all my grocery shopping out of the way this morning (it was hell - I was stuck in the store for 2 hours!), so I can relax and hibernate at home until Christmas. I'm looking forward to doing nothing except reading, surfing the net, and cuddling my dog (and hubby). :D

Poppy,

I have never been a fan of circus's either. I hated seeing the animals in cages, penned and baited like that even when I was a kid. Hence we never went to the circus that came to town. But this is something totally different as you note. No animal acts at all.

These guys are absolutely fearless. wow

Poppy,

I have never been a fan of circus's either. I hated seeing the animals in cages, penned and baited like that even when I was a kid. Hence we never went to the circus that came to town. But this is something totally different as you note. No animal acts at all.

These guys are absolutely fearless. wow

When I was a kid I lived in a very small town, population maybe less than a thousand. The circus came to town and people would come from surrounding small towns to see it. I was probably about 6 or 7 years old and went to the circus to see them set up. One of the workers asked me to go to town and buy him some cherries and gave me the money. I walked across the bridge and went to the "Company Store", a coal mining town, and bought the cherries. On the way back I thought I would eat one of the cherries. Well, I ate one and then another and then another and by the time I got back to the circus I ate probably about 3/4 of the bag. The circus guy looked at the bag and swore at me. I can remember it clear as can be.

When I was a kid I lived in a very small town, population maybe less than a thousand. The circus came to town and people would come from surrounding small towns to see it. I was probably about 6 or 7 years old and went to the circus to see them set up. One of the workers asked me to go to town and buy him some cherries and gave me the money. I walked across the bridge and went to the "Company Store", a coal mining town, and bought the cherries. On the way back I thought I would eat one of the cherries. Well, I ate one and then another and then another and by the time I got back to the circus I ate probably about 3/4 of the bag. The circus guy looked at the bag and swore at me. I can remember it clear as can be.

Your life of crime started early then? :giggle2:

Coran and I have also finished our Christmas shopping - we went to get all the food this morning, and you would have thought it was the end of the world all over again ! Talking of which, we returned from a nice few days away yesterday - on Thursday we went to Avebury and Stonehenge and then on Friday on to Glastonbury to join all the crowds at the top of the Tor and in the Chalice Well Gardens afterwards. The climb up to the top seems to get steeper each time I go, but it is worth it - there were several hundred people up there, some like us just soaking it all in, some with drums and various other instruments and others trying to make the most of the "New Age tourists" by selling crystals - it's all a bit last lifetime for us though.

Actually I kind of felt that it is really more about the 22nd and what happens afterwards than the day itself anyway, which is why we went to Stonehenge afterwards on the way home yesterday rather than getting up at 5am to join the 4000 or so others who went there on 21st. It would have been nice though to have actually gone into the stones themselves, and it is time we did that again, so have have got the humber to try and arrange a private visit for maybe some time in January. Oh well, back to work tomorrow - not for too much longer though. :smile:

Edited by Talisman

Lots of sunshine on our side of the mountain today.

Went for a long happy hike to soak up the warmth.

(Here's a blurry pic I took on the way)

Hope every one else had a sunny Sunday too!

That is some beautiful scenery.

absolutely beautiful!

I had a seven and a half hour journey to get to my parents in the South West yesterday, it usually takes four and a half hours. The trains from Bristol to Taunton were an absolute mess, but at least I was one of the lucky ones with a seat (and a train for that matter . . .).

I had a seven and a half hour journey to get to my parents in the South West yesterday, it usually takes four and a half hours. The trains from Bristol to Taunton were an absolute mess, but at least I was one of the lucky ones with a seat (and a train for that matter . . .).

We must have been lucky Raven - no problems on the roads at all. Glad you got there okay though.

We must have been lucky Raven - no problems on the roads at all. Glad you got there okay though.

This was by train. Everthing was okay to Bristol, I got there at ~14:45, I didn't get to Taunton until 17:40, and it's a trip that usually only takes 30 minutes!

Yesterday was my big 3-0 and I had a fantastic day. I went to the cinema to see The Hobbit, which I thoroughly enjoyed and went for a lovely meal at my favourite restaurant. What I didn't know was our meal for two, was actually a surprise gathering of my friends and family as well which made my night. I have been spoilt rotten by everyone and I'm now thinking that this being 30 thing, isn't that bad at all. ;)

Finally managed to find a get some reading done this afternoon :coffee1:

post-4870-0-11342700-1356800617_thumb.jpg

That's a lovely picture, chesilbeach!

I'm now thinking that this being 30 thing, isn't that bad at all. ;)

It isn't :)

Glad you had lovely birthday.

As for me, spent the day cleaning up - there was still one room in our new (new only to us, it's 160 years old) house that I'd been putting off from cleaning.

Now for a warm bath and hot dinner (which thankfully my dear partner is cooking)

Yesterday was my big 3-0 and I had a fantastic day. I went to the cinema to see The Hobbit, which I thoroughly enjoyed and went for a lovely meal at my favourite restaurant. What I didn't know was our meal for two, was actually a surprise gathering of my friends and family as well which made my night. I have been spoilt rotten by everyone and I'm now thinking that this being 30 thing, isn't that bad at all. ;)

Happy 30th birthday!

Edited by Devi