Hardback vs paperback

Maureen

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

....sometimes I fall asleep whilst reading in bed. Have you even fallen asleep with a hardback under your chin?
Yes, and I woke up with a big, pink dent in my face that was rather uncomfortable - LOL!

I prefer paperback. I like to read in my bath so paperback it's more lighter! I also never leave the house without a book in my bag I already have so much stuff in my bag i doubt i could put a hard back in. And because i am working away from home it's much lighter to take paper back in my suitcase than hard back. But i do buy hardback because there is book i want to read straight away and not wait for the paperback

Marie

I do like hardbacks - they look lovely on the shelf, but large ones can be unyieldy to hold for a length of time/ Paperbacks are more practical especially if they are to be carried round in bags. Also they're better for those books not intended as part of a major collection or for several rereads

I love paperbacks - I think it's their compactness (is that a word?) that I like plus they're easier to carry around. In the library I always plump for the paperback copy of a book. Which ever you prefer though you can't beat buying a new book. :D

It's always got to be paperback for me. I like to be able to stick a book in my bag and for it not to take up too much space and also I tend to loose the dust covers of hardbacks so most of my (many) bookshelves looks quite plain.

However if I like a book I'll hunt it down at a secondhand shop in hardback just to have as a back up.

And of course I tend to turn into a dizzy child when a new book by one of my favourite authors comes out so I'll grab it in hardback.

However my main reason is you cannot, comfortably, crack the spine of a hardback and curl up in bed with it.

W

Oh dear, you'd better start your ducking practice Wraith. There's a thread somewhere on here about the treatment of books! Be warned!!!:D :D PP

I think I'm good with the ducking.

At the end of the day though, my books and nobody else ever gets to touch them :D

quack.jpg

Crack a spine?? Horrors! I'll not even do that to a paperback. /shivers/

I like hardbacks, or trade size paperbacks for the most part. If I have to have a particular book and the only way I can get it is in the smaller size, well I won't bite my nose off to spite my face, but if I really like the book, I'll find a sale or second hand hardback.....eventually!

I much prefer to have paperbacks, the trade ones are the best though as they do have more 'prescence' than the ickle ones. I don't really get on with hardbacks, I don't find them a joy to read as I'm too fidgety trying to get comfortable. The only hardbacks I buy are the ones that really are too pretty to pass up, such as Susanna Clarkes latest novel, far to beautiful!

Also, I feel a special bond with my paperbacks, when I look at them on the shelf with the lines on the spines and the rumpled pages, I can remember our time together and know that they have lived and are loved. Hardbacks just don't have the same personality!

Also, I feel a special bond with my paperbacks, when I look at them on the shelf with the lines on the spines and the rumpled pages, I can remember our time together and know that they have lived and are loved. Hardbacks just don't have the same personality!

Having said earlier in the thread that I like the feel of hardbacks best, you've made me think again. You're right - my paperbacks have been me with through thick and thin, carried around and enjoyed in places that hardbacks just don't ever go because they are too heavy and cumbersome and I'm always worried they are going to get ruined.

Why is that? Why is okay to trash a much-loved paperback by stuffing it in your bag, while a hardback demands (and generally gets, it seems) so much more gentle handling and respect?

Yes, looking along my shelf, each battered spine has its own story too.

Why is that? Why is okay to trash a much-loved paperback by stuffing it in your bag, while a hardback demands (and generally gets, it seems) so much more gentle handling and respect?

Yes, looking along my shelf, each battered spine has its own story too.

Because they cost six times as much?

Of course, saying all this about looking after hardbacks and only stuffing paperbacks into bags, I do have an exception and it happens to be my most beloved book. I have about five/six bibles, but there is one that has gone absolutely everywhere with me for the last four-five years, has lot's of annotations and is looking very battered. I had to remove the paper cover from the front (and the hard one doesn't have the picture on it), and buy a nice cotton bible cover to keep it in. It certainly looks old before its time.

Just popped onto Amazon the look at the cover, and yes, it's beautiful. Read the synopsis of both books and added them to my wish list.

:D

Ha! It gets us all, doesn't it! :D

Shucks! I'm just glad to be amongst people who empathise, fully comprehend and share my compulsion and addiction. ;)

The only hardbacks I buy are the ones that really are too pretty to pass up, such as Susanna Clarkes latest novel, far to beautiful!

Is that Jonathan Strange and Mrs Norrell? If so, I must be looking at the wrong thing, as they are just very plain.