What was the first fantasy/sci-fi or horror book that you read?

Kreader

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first fantasy book was probably an Enid Blyton one, but I can't honestly remember. One of those short stories, I guess. I hated them though. Or it could've been children's books like Lady And The Tramp or Puss In Boots.

As for science fiction, it's probably The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy.

For horror, it's got to be Goosebumps. I've forgotten which was my first book though.

• 2 weeks later...

The first sf novel I read was probably Dune, about 30 years ago. I recently re-read it and it still seems fresh and exciting - hasn't aged a day, unlike me :lol:

The first fantasy novel I read was Pawn of Prophecy by David Eddings.

The first horror novel was Pet Sematary by Stephen King.

Roald Dahl would be the first fantasy books for me at 6 or 7, although most children books are fantasy so maybe that's cheating slightly.

Sword and magic books would the Dragon Lance sagas about 9 (although I used to listen Hobbit on vinyl from aged 5 so that would be my real introduction) .

Sci-Fi was a bit later for me when I was about 10, I think it was Isaac Asimov foundation but not wholly sure.

Horror, I've never read a horror book and not going to start. Closest I came to it was a James Herbert audio book about big rats that ate people.

The first sf novel I read was probably Dune, about 30 years ago. I recently re-read it and it still seems fresh and exciting - hasn't aged a day, unlike me :)

The first fantasy novel I read was Pawn of Prophecy by David Eddings.

Two absolutely brilliant books!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

thinking about it, the first sci-fi/horror type book I read was a children's book. It was called Grinny written by Nicholas Fisk.

I was probably about 7.

although it was a children's book, the story was quite well written and was sci-fi. and was reasonably scary.

Its written from the viewpoint of a young boy, who one day finds that an old lady has turned up at his house. at first, no-one knows who she is, but she says 'you remember me, dont you' and this seems to entrance the adults who all of a sudden remember she is a long lost aunt.

Of course she isnt, actually she's an alien scoping the earth for her mothership waiting for the go-ahead to invade.

for a child, the premise was quite scary and engaging, and of course, the adults are clueless and its up to the children to sort it all out, but not in a childish way.

It was probably this book that introduced me to sci-fi.

I also read the Hobbit when I was about the same age.

:lol:

• 3 weeks later...

The Hobbit - although strictly speaking I didn't read it myself, it was read to us in Junior school; I was probably 9 or 10. I was already a keen reader, but this probably tipped me over the edge! Thanks Mrs Broadbent.

Ian

I guess the very first one was Harry Potter. I didn't read so much at the time but then JK Rowling gave me the taste of books :)

Then I also read Dracula which I found breathtaking <3 ;)

The next one I'd like to read is "The Golden Compass" by Philip Pullman ^^

I guess the very first one was Harry Potter. I didn't read so much at the time but then JK Rowling gave me the taste of books :(

Then I also read Dracula which I found breathtaking <3 :D

The next one I'd like to read is "The Golden Compass" by Philip Pullman ^^

I like your tastes! :o

Philip Pullman's trilogy is wonderful, I love them. I hope you enjoy them too when you read them.

I hope so ^^ In fact I saw the film of "The Golden Compass" before I knew it came from a book ! ^^ I really adored it but as often books are better than films, I'm really impatient to discover the trilogy :( I'm relieved you found the books wonderful as I've never heard any critics about it till now :D

I hope so ^^ In fact I saw the film of "The Golden Compass" before I knew it came from a book ! ^^ I really adored it but as often books are better than films, I'm really impatient to discover the trilogy :D I'm relieved you found the books wonderful as I've never heard any critics about it till now :o

I read the books before seeing the film and, for me, the movie was a bit of a travesty. The books are absolutely wonderful. I loved them - couldn't put them down :D

Iorek Byrnison rules! :(