What was the first fantasy/sci-fi or horror book that you read?

Kreader

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First horror book I read was The Fog by Stephen king

Almost the same, mine was The Fog by James Herbert, or was it The Rats :D

First SciFi: War of the Worlds, H.G. Wells

First Fantasy: The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien

I never really liked Fantasy book until I read Harry Potter. That remains one of the best books/series I have ever read. Now I love Sci-Fi/ Fantasy and am constantly searching for new stories to give me the same rush as HP did.

I never really liked Fantasy book until I read Harry Potter. That remains one of the best books/series I have ever read. Now I love Sci-Fi/ Fantasy and am constantly searching for new stories to give me the same rush as HP did.

It was the same with me. I read the first HP book when I was 7, and loved them instantly like thousands of kids at the time. Such a popular series for adults and children world-wide. I don't really remember what was the first book I read, because I read from a very early age.. but I imagine HP was the most notable. Then it just went from there. :D

Excluding the "Chip, Biff and Kipper" Books I was forced to read through primary.. the first book I willingly read would be the Pawn of Prophecy, first book in The Belgariad by David Eddings, That series and The Mallorean *Sequel series* Got me into fantasy, If you haven't read it yet, I highly suggest it!

I didn't really enjoy reading before sixth grade.

So, one of the first book that I read was a Stephen King.

I think it was The Storm Of The Century.

In fantasy, it was Terry Goodkind two years ago.

(I try before, but I tought, wrongly, that fantasy books were boring.)

In sci-fi it was Simon R. Green.

(I know its not completely sci-fi, but he mixed every type together.)

• 5 months later...

I can remember reading horror short story collections at primary school, where you could buy them through the book club magazine, but I don't remember the series - the first horror novel I read was Carrie by Stephen King, aged about 14.

The first fantasy book I read was "The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe" by C S Lewis, aged around 7.

I am really struggling to remember the first sci-fi book I read. Again, I think I probably started with short story collections (from the library this time). The first sci-fi novel I can definitely remember reading was "Foundation" by Isaac Asimov aged around 17, but this seems quite late so I feel I am forgetting some from before then!

I've been racking my brains over this one, and I've come to the conclusion that my very first book would have been Jules Vernes' "20 000 Leagues Under the Sea". Must have read it at the age of 9, so a re-read is most certainly warranted. But in English (French is still a bit of a stretch) this time, not Dutch. :D

First Fantasy was probably "Lord of the Rings" (how original :D ), with an Anthony Horowitz novel (don't remember which one) as my first horror.

Probably The Rats by James Herbert...I remember reading as a student in the 70's travelling around Europe on an interail pass....the spooky thing was one night we slept out in the open on a beach in Greece and our sleeping bags were nibbled by rats as we slept...we saw one of them escaping into the dark...needless to say we packed up and headed for the nearest train station....spooky or what :friends0:

Excluding the "Chip, Biff and Kipper" Books I was forced to read through primary.. the first book I willingly read would be the Pawn of Prophecy, first book in The Belgariad by David Eddings, That series and The Mallorean *Sequel series* Got me into fantasy, If you haven't read it yet, I highly suggest it!

It was probably the belgariad for me too although I imagine the hobit and CS Lewis were a close run thing

The first fantasy books I remember reading are Blade of the Poisoner and Master of Fiends by Douglas Hill. Wish I still had them to see if they're as good as I remember.

I was looking through the Point Horror on amazon to try and find one I remember. I couldn't find it but some of the covers are terrifying! But it was probably April Fools from the Point Horror series.

Sci-fi...I don't think I read any till last year (Time by Stephen Baxter). Does Robocop count?