What was the first fantasy/sci-fi or horror book that you read?

Kreader

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't remember clearly what was the first of each genre I read. I've always been a reader so there's a good chance I've forgotten.

From what I can remember my first horror was Stephen King. It was either Pet Semetary or The Shining. I read them both at the same time when I was about 11 or 12. Before that I had read the YA Goosebumps but King was my first full on adult horror.

Fantasy is a difficult one but I think it may have been The Chronicals of Narnia or Alice in Wonderland. I've owned both since I was very young so I'm not sure.

Sci Fi I have no idea. I'm not even sure if I've read one or not..... :) It's not my preferred style if you get me.

I can't quite remember my first fantasy I think it was 'Lord of the Rings' although it was my dad's book and i think i may have been too young to really appreciate a lot of it. First one that impacted me was 'Pawn of Prophecy' by David Eddings.

First Horror was 'Slugs' by Shaun Hutson. Oh dear god never again! that book seriously gave me the heebie jeebies. Also I remember after reading one particularly graphic scene, being immensley grateful that i wasn't a man. eurgh!!

Oooh, I love Dracula, it's absolutely wonderful and scary but a touching love story nonetheless I just hope you haven't seen the Gary Oldman film first because that was a case of fanfiction rather than adaptation!

We had to watch the film for English a coupla weeks ago. :) This is the one where it stars that guy who plays Sirius Black as the young Dracula, right? Oh well.

I can't remember which was my first fantasy or horror. I've read 1984 and Animal farm, read the Harry Potter books and the Hitch hiker books but I've been reading since I was 7 and that's 19 years now so it's hard to remember which one was the first in it all.

My first fantasy book was by Ursula Le Guin but cannot remember the title ( maybe one of the Earthsea books).

Are the Earthsea books good? I've been wanting to get some but haven't up till now?

We had to watch the film for English a coupla weeks ago. :) This is the one where it stars that guy who plays Sirius Black as the young Dracula, right? Oh well.

Just to point out - Mina Harker is not the exact replica of an ex-wife. And the story is set in Whitby in Yorkshire not in London - also Dr. Van Helsing IS NOT spooky but a kind gentleman. And Dracula is truly evil.

The only thing the film got right is that Jonathan Harker goes to the castle at the beginning to sell Dracula a house in England and that Dracula trapped him in the castle with the three brides.

Just warning you - in case you loved the film. Personally I prefer the book! There was a ballet done by an American ballet company that stuck more true to the plot than that film!

I didn't really think anything of the film, really. It was...weird. Not scary at all for me. Van Helsing was WEIRD in that movie. Just WEIRD. And so was Lucy, she was creepy.

Don't worry though, I will most likely like the book more, as I always do. I'm interested in that Ballet thing you're talking about though. I love ballets and musicals and all that sort of stuff. :) maybe I'll like.. check it out after I read the book.

I dont' actually remember the first.... hmm.

Point Horror books. Catchman. THAT was scary when I was a kid. Superb book though. As an adult.... probably actually 'Haunted', earlier this year.

Fantasy: just about everything I read as a kid. LOTR, probably, as a teenager.

Sci-fi: REAL hardcore science fiction I've never read, but I did read one story from Dan Simmon's Hyperion, and intend to work through it, so that will be the first.

• 3 weeks later...
We had to watch the film for English a coupla weeks ago. :D This is the one where it stars that guy who plays Sirius Black as the young Dracula, right? Oh well.
I actually loved that film, it made me cry so much - dare I still call myself a "Dracula" purist or will the ghost of Bram Stoker haunt me forevermore? That wouldn't be good at all; I want to win Bram Stoker awards, not find the shadow of Bram Stoker himself lurking under my bed...!

Are the Earthsea books good? I've been wanting to get some but haven't up till now?
Oh please read them, they're brilliant. My memories are rather vague re: content as I first and last read these at 11-12 years of age; what I do remember is that of the zillions of books I checked out of my middle school library, these were amongst the ones that really captured my imagination. Only warning, by her own admission Ursula K. LeGuin isn't a "grab the reader by the throat and force them to pay attention or else" sort of author; however, if you don't mind (or in fact prefer) a softer approach to narrative, she is one of the best storytellers out there.

We had to watch the film for English a coupla weeks ago. :D This is the one where it stars that guy who plays Sirius Black as the young Dracula, right? Oh well.

They let you watch an 18 in school? How very progressive!

When I was 9 we watched a 15's movie in school.

I know that's totally off topic, but meh.

On topic: Point Horror books, and that 7 book series which started with 'Over Sea, Under Stone'.

ETA: The Dark Is Rising, that was it.

I can't remember for sure but I think it was "Under the Mountain" by Maurice Gee. It's a New Zealand book which features a pair of telepathic twins.

I must have been only 7 or 8 when I read it because my nana was still alive and I tried to do telepathy with her thinking it was real!

I was 7 years old and had to sign up to wait for the Oz books at the school library. They were my favorite ones.

1900 The Wonderful Wizard of Oz

1904 The Marvelous Land of Oz

1907 Ozma of Oz

1908 Dorothy and the Wizard in Oz

1909 The Road to Oz

1910 The Emerald City of Oz

1913 The Patchwork Girl of Oz

1914 Little Wizard Stories of Oz

1914 Tik-Tok of Oz

1915 The Scarecrow of Oz

1916 Rinkitink in Oz

1917 The Lost Princess of Oz

1918 The Tin Woodman of Oz

1919 The Magic of Oz

1920 Glinda of Oz

Edited by HotCzech

• 1 month later...

I expect it was Enid Blyton's tales of 'Hop Skip and Jump' about three very naughty brownies

But the first 'proper' fantasy book that I read was 'The Hobbit' by Tolkien .. and tbh 'Hop, Skip and Jump' looked a bit tame after that!

I think I am probably still waiting to read my first horror .. the nearest I've ever got is '1984' by George Orwell .. though I did hear a reading of Edgar Allan Poe's 'the Pit and the Pendulum' once .. I had to read 'Wind in the Willows' afterwards as therapy

I think the first horror book I read was Misery by Stephen King. :) The scene where

Annie Wilkes breaks Paul's leg

still haunts me! :)

I've only seen the film, but yeah. Ditto.

The Hobbit was my first venture in the the fantasy genre, too. I don't care for Tolkien, particularly, but I do love the Hobbit. Still re-read it occasionally.

First Horror: Creature by John Saul

First SciFi: Z for Zachariah Robert C. O'Brien

First Fantasy: The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien

Horror is still one of my favorite genres (maybe my #1 favorite).