E books / Kindle / Sony Reader

Adam

Like Chesil, I tend to read one Kindle book for every paperback - especially as I have a mound of real books to get through and I'm worried that I won't every read them. But I love taking the Kindle around with me. When we occasionaly go out for a drink and OH is standing at the bar waiting, I'll have a quick delve into the Kindle.

My only criticism of the Kindle is not being able to "flick" back through easily like you can with a paperback. I might suddenly want to check on something and with a book you just flick through the pages, but with the Kindle it's not so easy - I suppose now someone will tell me how I can do that! :smile2:

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only thing that's even close to the flick back and forward is using the arrow buttons (the ones around the square "select" button) which, if the book is formatted with chapter breaks in - they're not always shown as dots on the progress bar - will take you to the beginning of the previous/next chapter.

I've now devoured two books on my lovely Kindle.

I've only had it for a couple of days, but I honestly am so pleased with it. I think of it as a magic book - you know, those you read about in fairy tales that can change their content? ANY book can appear in my magic book. And the black leather cover with light makes it look just right. I think I have a kindle crush.

Hyzenthlay, I had that exact same "kindle crush" and after 9 months it has not worn off yet. It goes everywhere with me. A magic book- yes that is a good way to describe it. It is the best possession I have ever owned.

iv had a sony ereader for over a year now and love it with the sony you can download books from your local libary unlike the kindle, also just got discs of books off ebay download them to calibre its like having your own libary keith

You can use Calibre on kindle too.

What is Calibre VF?

When you get ebooks from other sources (like project Gutenberg) sometimes they don't go easily onto the kindle (although they are supposed to!) Calibre is just a tiny free software program on your PC/laptop that converts them for you and loads them onto the kindle via USB..it works great!

My only criticism of the Kindle is not being able to "flick" back through easily like you can with a paperback. I might suddenly want to check on something and with a book you just flick through the pages, but with the Kindle it's not so easy - I suppose now someone will tell me how I can do that! :smile2:

You may not be able to 'flick', but there is a search facility.

One of the things I miss the most about Kindle v books, is turning over the book I'm reading and staring intently at the front cover willing it to give me a little more insight into the story!! Also I find that I can't always remember the name of the author of the book I'm currently reading on the Kindle, as you don't have that constant but unconscious visibility of the name all the time. In all other respects I absolutely love my Kindle and cannot imagine my reading world without it now.

My reading has been dire of late, I've not read anything book related since August (I think!) but today I had to wait for Hannah for about half an hour and thought I would read so out came my kindle, unfortunately it was broken! don't know how it happened but it has. A quick phone call to SquareTrade and a replacement is now on it's way. Can't fault their customer service.

When you get ebooks from other sources (like project Gutenberg) sometimes they don't go easily onto the kindle (although they are supposed to!) Calibre is just a tiny free software program on your PC/laptop that converts them for you and loads them onto the kindle via USB..it works great!

Thank you!

With the kindle is it possible to highlight text or leave permanent bookmarks? For example if I saw a sentence or passage that I really liked could I mark it in some way to be able to find it easily months/years/books later?

Yes it is. You can also collect passages and put them in a separate "clippings" file if you want. Not that I have bothered though I am always too busy just reading on it! :rolleyes:

Yes it is. You can also collect passages and put them in a separate "clippings" file if you want. Not that I have bothered though I am always too busy just reading on it! :rolleyes:

Thanks, that sounds very useful. I often see passages that I like or want to remember for some reason, but I seldom remember them so I find myself flipping through pages or even scratching my head wondering what book it was that had that passage I could sort-of remember and wanted to check again.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know how to go about querying the price of a kindle book, I am desperate to get the third part of a book but its risen in price from £3.99 to £8.49 for the 3rd part even though the 4th part is back down to £3.99. The paperback is cheaper I know but I have the others as part of a list on my kindle and I am reluctant to break it up.

Does anyone know how to go about querying the price of a kindle book, I am desperate to get the third part of a book but its risen in price from £3.99 to £8.49 for the 3rd part even though the 4th part is back down to £3.99. The paperback is cheaper I know but I have the others as part of a list on my kindle and I am reluctant to break it up.

I'd just contact Amazon customer services, cos they're usually quick to respond - although I'd imagine they'll refer you to the publisher.

I'd just contact Amazon customer services, cos they're usually quick to respond - although I'd imagine they'll refer you to the publisher.

Cheers Karsa, I sent an email to them hopefully if they can't answer they can let me know whom to contact.

Cheers Karsa, I sent an email to them hopefully if they can't answer they can let me know whom to contact.

I sent them an email to complain about their haphazard categorisation of the SF Gateway releases. I got a reply back within an hour saying they'd forward my comments to the Kindle team. Doubt it'll make the slightest bit of difference but I felt better afterwards :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

I have just ordered a waterproof case for mine, so I can now read in the bath. That's one thing I have missed. Nothing as relaxing as soaking in the bath with a good book. :boogie:

Oh I didn't know you could get waterproof cases for them - great idea :D