• Announcements

• Hayley

Something Wicked This Way Comes...   10/09/2019

The Autumn Supporter Giveaway!       Welcome to the very first of the seasonal BCF supporter giveaways! This month also marks one year since I took on the forum, so I want to say an extra huge thank you to all of you for keeping this place going. I have a little bit more to say about that later but, for now, let's get to the giveaway!     The Autumn Giveaway winner will be getting two Penguin Little Black Classics, The Tell-Tale Heart by Edgar Allan Poe and To Be Read At Dusk by Charles Dickens. Both of these little books contain three atmospheric short stories, perfect for autumnal evenings. The winner will also get Mary Shelley tea (a lavender and vanilla black tea) from Rosie Lea Tea's Literary Tea Collection (https://www.rosieleatea.co.uk/collections/literary-tea-collection) and a chocolate skull, to really get that spooky atmosphere .   and...   A special treat for a special month. The winner will choose one of the following recent paperback releases from the independent bookshop Big Green Bookshop:       The Wych Elm by Tana French A House of Ghosts by W.C. Ryan Melmoth by Sarah Perry The Familiars by Stacey Halls  The Dark Descent of Elizabeth Frankenstein by Kiersten White   The winner will be chosen via the usual random selection process in one week. Patreon supporters are entered automatically. If you aren't a patreon supporter but you'd like to join in with this giveaway, you can support here: https://www.patreon.com/bookclubforum.   I really hope you're all going to like this introduction to the seasonal giveaways. It's been a lot of fun to put together. Other chocolate skulls may have been harmed during the selection process…     
Athena

The Last Film You Saw - 2019

On 26.1.2019 at 2:42 AM, Raven said:

^ Two good Christmas films!

(they go down hill quickly after two, so be warned!)

So I've heard :D I don't think I'll watch any of the rest, apart from the second movie! 

The last movie I watched was The Naked Gun, which we caught on television by accident, and which is a comedy from the 1980's so it fits perfectly in the movie challenge I'm doing this year. I've seen the movie before and I thought I'd fall asleep out of boredom, but it was entertaining enough :D

The new films I've seen recently are Glass and Captain Marvel. Both were a bit weak, but Cap was more entertaining. I don't like the actress, but we're stuck with her.

Otherwise I've watched many films and tv series on my android box.

2 hours ago, dex said:

The new films I've seen recently are Glass and Captain Marvel. Both were a bit weak, but Cap was more entertaining. I don't like the actress, but we're stuck with her.

Otherwise I've watched many films and tv series on my android box.

Hi Dex! I haven't seen you in a while, nice to see you again! How've you been?

Alright thanks Athena, I just haven't done much reading. I've mainly been watching boxsets.

Just watched Far from the Madding Crowd, the one with Carey Mulligan.  It was ok, felt very rushed with lots of major plot points skimmed over.

I watched The Incredibles 2 yesterday evening.

Captain Marvel and Avengers: Endgame

Two good films, looking forward to seeing where they take the MCU next.

I watched Rocketman yesterday and despite not being my kind of music I really enjoyed it. Taron Egerton gets better in each movie I see him in.

Aliens (Special Edition)

It's years since I last watched this.  The effects have dated, but it is still a very good film.

the first two Alien movies are excellent, wasn't so keen on the 3rd one.

3 wasn't too bad.  I believe the directors cut is better than the theatrical release and I have that to watch at some point.

4 had it's moments, but was pretty poor overall (despite Jean-Pierre Jeunet directing a Josh Whedon script).

I watched Videodrome, by David Cronenberg, the other day. It's a very particular thriller, with vivid supernatural imagery. I actually dreamed about it later. The director has some other movies in the genre with strange synopses.

On ‎20‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 5:35 PM, Raven said:

3 wasn't too bad.  I believe the directors cut is better than the theatrical release and I have that to watch at some point.

Watched the Director's Cut of Alien 3 on Sunday night. Was a much better film than I remember the theatrical cut being, but I found myself thinking that it strikes an odd parallel with The Last Jedi in a lot of ways.

I watched Shazam last night. It's a simple movie, with a straightforward plot and some tender moments. But it was also campy, which made it less fun for me.

On 04/02/2019 at 11:19 PM, Raven said:

Arrival

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than Interstellar.

Saw this again on Tuesday night and I really think this is one of the best science fiction films I have seen for years. 

An intriguing plot that is handled with subtlety and thought, where other recent films of a similar ilk have been overplayed (the afore mentioned Interstellar) or have just been plain daft (Gravity).

I think I am going to have to seek out the [award winning] novella it was based on (Story of Your Life, by Ted Chiang)

Recently we saw A Silent Voice (after I finished reading the manga books) and we also watched Murder Mystery, both were enjoyable films. There were a few differences between the manga and the A Silent Voice film. Murder Mystery was entertaining.

I went to a 20 year anniversary showing of The Matrix over the weekend. It should have been a good experience but was almost spoiled by a young couple who wouldn’t keep quiet. 

Went to see "Downton Abbey" on Saturday, I enjoyed it, was very like an extended version of the show - I kept thinking that'd be a good place for an ad break!  Enjoyable but with loads of plotlines whizzing around.  Looked lovely and the clothes are fabulous.

Blade Runner 2049

Blade Runner is one of my favourite films and I've shied away from watching this for fear of the sequel screwing up the original (yet again), but I have to say I was pleasantly surprised.  It's not perfect, but it comes pretty darn close in places and it certainly evokes the look and feel of the original.  Make sure you have a good seat, though, it's a bum-numbing three hours long!

Hi everyone.

Another great thread.

A few weeks ago, I saw Yesterday from Danny Boyle and Richard Curtis, with Himesh Patel, Lily James, Kate McKinnon and Ed Sheeran as, well, Ed Sheeran (well, a version of himself). It was really good, I thought. Visually, it had Danny Boyle's trademark flare and Richard Curtis knows how to write comedy and be heart-warming at the same time. A great premise: what if you woke up and The Beatles had never existed? In particular, the scene where Jack (Himesh Patel) is premiering Let It Be to his parents (real-life married couple Sanjeev Bhaskar and Meera Syal) is hilarious. You don't have to be a Beatles fan to appreciate it, although if you are, then there's a whole other level to enjoy. And what's amazing is that Himesh Patel does all his own singing. 

Did anyone else see it? If so, what did you think?

Die Another Day

Which for some reason I don't think I've ever seen in its entirety before.

Quite possibly the worst James Bond film ever made - to the point where at times I wasn't sure whether I was watching a parody or not!

Easy to see why they rebooted the franchise with Daniel Craig.

I agree it's definitely one of the worst Bonds.  I wasted money on it at the cinema, although it was nice seeing the Eden Project on the screen.