Happyanddandy intended reading for 2007

happyanddandy

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finished 'The Ivy Chronicles' by Karen Quinn and will be giving it away to the second had book shop ASAP.

I really have nothing to recommend about this book - it was truly awful and I don't know what possessed me to continue to the end apart from the obsessive quality of finishing something I started. The book is mostly about shallow rich people of New York City and how they get their kids in to the top private schools. I think the author was trying to be funny in places but it just didn't work. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Finished 'Stand by Your Man' by Gil McNeil - Not quite sure why it was called this??? It wasn't the central theme of the story

I really enjoyed this delightful book about gardening, rural community life, marriage, children, separation and the general ups and downs of mundane life - the author has captured the essence and put it down on paper before it got away. Nothing difficult or challenging here, not for everyone but irresistible.

Moving on to 'The House at Riverton' by Kate Morton

• 3 weeks later...

Finished 'The House at Riverton' and commented in the review section.

Started Alexander Macall Smith's 3rd part of the Scotland St trilogy to read from mount TBR last night as I couldn't find the second and so assumed I had read it and lent it out to someone.

This morning my eye fell straight on to the second part 'Expresso Tales' on the window ledge so will start that this afternoon

• 2 weeks later...

Finished 'Espresso Tales'. A gentle sequel to 'Scotland Street' with the familiar characters of before. Thoroughly enjoyable as I like this sort of genre.

I love the character of Bertie but I am slightly perplexed by the given skills of a 6 year old. Ok he is a very able child but playing the saxaphone?? His hands would not be big enough to play an alto sax, his fingers would not spread enough to reach the keys and he would not have the lung capacity to make much of a noise from it.

This probably reveals more about my thinking than anything else and maybe why I cannot appreciate fantasy genre very much!!

However onwards and upwards - now I need to select a new read - I did get a book from the library called 'How to Talk to a Widower' by Jonathan Tropper which will probably be next :(

Finished 'How to Talk to a Widower' - an excellent read.

It brought tears to my eyes on several occasions. Doug the main character, not wholly likeable is moving through the many facets of bereavement and the descriptions of despair are particularly moving. His close family is full of unique characters especially his father who has a degree of brain damage following a stroke. He leaves a lump in the throat on several occasions as he cannot retain the information that Doug's wife has died.

Very well written - you can just see it as a real tear jerker film from which you will emerge puffy eyed - I can't wait!! :(