Happyanddandy intended reading for 2007

happyanddandy

Chose to read 'Notes on a Scandal' by Zoe Heller - very readable and I enjoyed it. I haven't see the film but I would like to now. As I was reading I could visualise Judi Dench as Barbara and she was perfect for that role in my head :D
I've seen it!

the movie's great! billy nighty stars in it too.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finished Black Swan Green - really good read.

Hard to select something to follow but settled on Barbara Trapido - I have read several of her books in the past. 'Frankie and Stankie' was the last one which I loved. Noah's Ark is an earlier book.

The Blurb -

Noah's Ark is a wry and sparkling account of a marriage; an apparently incompatible union between Noah Glazer, a solid man of science perenially abreast of his in-tray material and Alison Bobrow, a palely captivating eccentric. For both parties the marriage - after a memorably sexy and precipitous courtship - implies a serious departure from type.

Noah walks undaunted into the overpopulated labyrinth of Alison's previous life, coolly issuing forth the unspeakable maxim that 'Charity begins at home'. Gradually he builds fences for her and her life takes on a degree of serenity and order which she never thought to enjoy. Until one day, when Noah is away at a medical conference, she is drawn towards exploring certain avenues in her past. The consequences are as hectic as they are illuminating and near-disasterous...

• 3 weeks later...

Finished Barbara Trapido - 'Noah's Ark'. Very enjoyable - Again Trapido visits and uses characters from S Africa although this book is set in Cambridgeshire. There are strong characters and family relationships and these are explored in depth. The main character Ali is annoyingly dippy and indecisive.

Now picked up a challenge! Started and read 50 pages already of 'The Clan of the Cave Bear' by Jean Auel. A departure from my usual genre and suggested by Nici. So far so good.

Here is the blurb -

The heroine Ayla, is a courageous and indomitable young woman whose story begins when she is a 5 years old orphan adopted by the Clan, a group of Neanderthals.

Ayla inspires first surprise, then wariness and finally acceptance by the clan. She is cared for by its medicine woman Iza and its wise holy man Creb. But she makes an implaccable enemy of the group's future leader. Broud does all he can to destroy her, but Ayla is a survivor.

It's almost 600 pages!!

Now picked up a challenge! Started and read 50 pages already of 'The Clan of the Cave Bear' by Jean Auel. A departure from my usual genre and suggested by Nici. So far so good.

I'm so pleased you are enjoying it so far! I wish I still had them to read!

• 3 weeks later...

Finished 'Clan of the Cave Bear' this morning and was very sorry. I thoroughly enjoyed it - a real change from my usual genre.

The book was full of detail and description with a poignant story of a true heroine. Why is it not a film I wonder? - could be a proper blockbuster don't you think?

Moved on to the dreaded Penguin - 'The Spy Who Loved Me' by Ian Fleming - I don't even like the Bond films much - I did see this one though at the cinema with my mum eons ago

The book was full of detail and description with a poignant story of a true heroine. Why is it not a film I wonder? - could be a proper blockbuster don't you think?

It was made into a film - a superbly atrocious piece, starring Daryl Hannah as Ayla. I think given the right director and budget, it could be turned into something pretty decent. :(

Thanks Paula.

I have chosen to read Amanda Brookfield next. Fairly light chick lit. It's called 'A Cast of Smiles' and here is the blurb.

'Veronica's group of friends are well-to-do professionals, intent on keeping up a charade of wellbeing and success. On the surface everything is fine: Julian and Veronica get married; Teddy tells good jokes; Gloria chases men. Trouble brews, however, when the sinister Katherine Vermont becomes obsessed with the deceitful activities of her ex-lover Julian. The tragedy that finally erupts shows the high price that can be paid for emotional dishonesty - to oneself as well as to others.'

Ok I can hear some of you groaning :welcomeboard: but Brookfield does have a first class Cambridge English degree and puts together a good read.

Thanks Paula.

I have chosen to read Amanda Brookfield next. Fairly light chick lit. It's called 'A Cast of Smiles' and here is the blurb.

'Veronica's group of friends are well-to-do professionals, intent on keeping up a charade of wellbeing and success. On the surface everything is fine: Julian and Veronica get married; Teddy tells good jokes; Gloria chases men. Trouble brews, however, when the sinister Katherine Vermont becomes obsessed with the deceitful activities of her ex-lover Julian. The tragedy that finally erupts shows the high price that can be paid for emotional dishonesty - to oneself as well as to others.'

Ok I can hear some of you groaning :welcomeboard: but Brookfield does have a first class Cambridge English degree and puts together a good read.

No!!!! Sounds fab!

Finished 'Getting Rid of Matthew' - a great flowing read - not too taxing chick lit. The subject of the book is not a particularly likeable character and neither is Matthew.

Still wanting a light read so chose 'Walls of Glass' by Amanda Brookfield as I thoroughly enjoyed reading 'A Cast of Smiles' recently.

• 4 weeks later...

Finished Andrea Levy's - 'Small Island' today. What a great read that covering aspects of the 2nd World War and it's aftermath in terms of racial prejudice and immigration to the UK. Several strong characters whose lives intertwine with surprise, comedy and tragedy.

Selected a light read to follow.