Happyanddandy intended reading for 2007

happyanddandy

Here goes - they are all on a shelf waiting for me - I am not a fast reader so I hope I can get through them.

Not a Games Person - Julie Myerson - started 17/05/07 - finished 23/05/07

Notes on a Scandal - Zoe Heller - finished 23/6/07

MY Sisters Keeper - Jodie Picoult - finished 28/4/07

Chocolat - Joanne Harris

The Sunday Philiosophy Club - Alexander McCall Smith

The Big Picture - Douglas Kennedy

Noah's Ark - Barbara Trapido - started 5/8/07 - finished 26/8/07

The Island - Victoria Hislop

Prozac Nation - Elizabeth Wurtzel

Morality for Beautful Girls - Alexander McCall Smith

Seesaw - Deborah Moggach

A million Little Pieces - James Frey

Small Island - Andrea Levy - started 20/10/2007 - finished 1/11/2007

The Dead Fathers Club - Matt Haig

Atonement - Ian McEwan

Saturday - Ian McEwan

The God Delusion - ?? - to be borrowed from mum

The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox - started 28/4/07 - finished - 3/5/07

The Rise and Fall of a Yummy Mummy - Polly Williams - started - 3/5/07 - 17/5/07

Blue Diary - Alice Hoffman

This Book Will Save Your Life - A.N. Homes - started 23/05/07 - finished 10/6/07

After You'd Gone - Maggie O'Farrell

The Distance Between Us - Maggie O'Farrell

My Lover's Lover - Maggie O'Farrell

Brown Owl's Gude to Life - Kate Harrison - started 5/7/07 - finished 26/7/07

Black Swan Green - David Mitchell - started 26/7/07 - finished 5/8/07

Divas Don't Knit - Gil McNeil finished 5/7/07

Phew! Looks like a mountain to climb.

The Clan of The Cave Bear - Jean Auel - started 26/8/07 - finished 9/07

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ooh, there are a few on there that I've read and a couple that are on my own TBR list. I'll be interested in hearing what you think of them. :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Finished 'Yummy Mummy' - a first book by Polly Williams - chick lit of the mediocre kind - has to have a happy ending reminding me of the fim 'Love Actually'. Recommended for light holiday reading for those who like books about early motherhood and relationships.

Moved to Julie Myerson - 'Not a Games Person' - a smaller than average hardback book documenting Julie's schooldays. This book caught my eye in a charity shop as the author writes for the Guardian and I have enjoyed reading her articles in the past. Also she is about the same age as myself so I should be able to empathise with her anecdotes. ;)

Moved to Julie Myerson - 'Not a Games Person' - a smaller than average hardback book documenting Julie's schooldays. This book caught my eye in a charity shop as the author writes for the Guardian and I have enjoyed reading her articles in the past. Also she is about the same age as myself so I should be able to empathise with her anecdotes. ;)

Sounds good and if as the title suggests she's 'not a games person' then I'll definately be able to relate to it! :)

Sounds good and if as the title suggests she's 'not a games person' then I'll definately be able to relate to it! :)

There's a great picture on the front of girls in those old fashioned ruched (I think that's what it's called) swimsuits - I tried to copy and paste it here but couldn't do it ;)

Just checked it out on Amazon - review said good for anyone 'bad at games' - yep that was me. Third book to go on LibraryThing wish list tonight! ;)

Finished 'Not a Games Person' by Julie Myerson. An odd little book of anecdotes from the authors schooldays. The focus is on her abhorrence of games and sports day. The chapters go backwards to childhood and forwards to the present day. She also interviews her old games teachers.

I don't think this book is put together very well. It's all over the place and without direction. I enjoyed it only because the author is about my age and she describes the sixties and seventies well. However I was a games person!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I picked up 'Divas Don't Knit' by Gil McNeil from the library. It appealed as it was clearly aimed at knitters and as I am a lifelong knitter I could not ignore it. :hyper:

The author is clearly a lover of the hobby and has tried to write this book around it. To some extent it works well. It is very light non challenging reading which gently rolls along. It seems like wartime feel good propaganda at some points. Let's all sit round the cosy fire and knit!!

It is about a widow bringing up 2 small boys who moves to the coast to be near her gran and the wool shop she takes over. She interacts with lovely neighbours, friends and a local movie star all the time knitting furiously!!

I would not recommend it to anyone unless you love knitting. And then maybe not.... I did like it though. :)

Now looking at 'Brown Owl's Guide To Life'.

• 3 weeks later...