Harry Potter Books by J. K. Rowling

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have always resisted the urge to read Harry Potter because of the hype and only read a few chapters of the first book although my brother owns a few of the books.

However....I have been wondering lately if I am missing out and have decided to attempt to read them once I have finished univeristy which is this summer...:roll:

Yes you are most definitely missing out. I hate hyped up things and tend to avoid them until it dies down, but i read Harry Potter way before the films were on the horizon, so i just carried on.

I read Harry Potter way after the films were made. I've always wanted to read them but never really had the time and when I did, I got hooked instantly. The first books were not really that good though, IMO, thought they were quite annoying. The last 4 were just awesome though.

Miss Whitlock, pull yourself together! :lol:

Just remember this....

he is wearing socks and a hat donated by those he rescued so bravely and he was buried in a beautiful spot in sound of the ocean, and in the garden of Shell Cottage. A fitting *sniff, sniff, gulp* resting place.

Now, no more of this

*gulp, sniff, :roll:, no! no! no!*

namby pamby stuff! ;)

Yes, I shall stop.. *thinks about Snape*....

Must. not..cry....

I hadn't picked up a Harry Potter book until I bought the first four together in a paperback set, then I realised that there may be a reason for all the fuss!

They were descriptive, humourous in places and had a nice feel about them, so when the next came out I got it straightaway, then the same with the next one, and the next one. :roll:

chrysalis_stage, the earlier ones have a much younger feel to them, but that's appropriate, as Harry is young, and the first readers would have been quite young. But the books mature, and the plot weaves it's magic until you have to know what happens next. I would definitely recommend them them as an enjoyable read.

Poor Miss Whitlock - we all know how you feel *sniff, sob* :roll:

;):lol: I get really touchy with Snape though, he was just..

*sniff*

^I couldn't agree more, Chrissy. The plot thickens and yeah, you just HAD to know what was gonna happen next. The seventh book was really hard to put down the first (second...and maybe third :roll: ) time I read it. I just HAD to know who was gonna die and what's gonna happen to Voldie and stuff like that. Hope you'll end up reading it, chrysalis_stage.

I have always resisted the urge to read Harry Potter because of the hype and only read a few chapters of the first book although my brother owns a few of the books.

However....I have been wondering lately if I am missing out and have decided to attempt to read them once I have finished univeristy which is this summer...:roll:

Give them a go, they are easy reads. If you get to the end of The Prisoner of Azkaban and you aren't hooked I'll be surprised! (if you're not though, then it's probably not worth going any further than that!).

The first books were not really that good though, IMO, thought they were quite annoying. The last 4 were just awesome though.

The world is a wondrously diverse place :roll:: to think I thought the first two adorable, the third brillant, the fourth a marvellous adventure, the fifth a bit hit and miss, the sixth bad and the seventh unfinishable. I abandoned it about 50 pages in, although I was urged to read "that prologue" and was scarred forever...

My enjoyment of the series increased with each book until The Order of the Phoenix, which I felt was a good 200 pages too long. Although I enjoyed the last two books, they weren't as enjoyable as for me as The Prisoner of Azkaban and The Goblet of Fire, simply because they meandered around to much.

It's interesting to note that Rowling took a break between The Goblet of Fire and The Order of the Phoenix, because she was suffering from burn-out after writing the previous four books back-to-back.

I've often wondered whether the rise in popularity of the books, and the film series in particular, that happened whilst she was on that break, contributed to her publishers just going with what she had written for the last three books rather than having an editor sit down with her and expunge the padding.

Yes, I agree, the first books ARE brilliant. I just don't enjoy them very much anymore because of all the times I've read them. Plus, it's annoying to get past the introductions and everything. I love the 4th-7th. :roll:

OotP is amazing ;) I can't believe I used to really hate it, and it was the one reason I stopped reading them until HBP came out.

PoA though has always been my favourite and cannot wait until I get to read it :lol:

I love the bit I read in CoS last night, when they were guessing what Riddle did to get the special award and Ron said maybe he killed Myrtle and did them all a favour. If only he knew right then :roll:

Has anyone else here read the prequel to the series?

I read it earlier and really wasn't impressed all that much. I didn't see the point in her even releasing it.

Any other opinions on it?

Also, I realised that I had read the first paragraph before because it was on the wall of Waterstones and I didn't know what it was when I read it there.

I didn't, it was pointless. But I would love her to write a book from when Voldy was powerful before Harry came along. Or anything from Snapes or James point of view.

The prince's tale was not enough for me, I need more Snape :roll:

I think the prequel was set during the first Voldemort era,

the premise being that James and Sirius are being chased by Death Eaters.

I know the criteria for the piece was that it filled a postcard (or some such), but I felt it was a bit meh!