Your book activity in 2012

Kell

That's been in my TBR for ages now! sounds really interesting but can't seem to get round to reading it.

I'd never heard of it until a couple of days ago, then a friend recommended it to me, and after reading some reviews and listening to what he had to say about it, it was a case of 'Must have! Must have!' :lol:

I suspect it might leapfrog over much of what's already in my TBR pile :D

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just finished One Child by Torey Hayden and have started Strike Back by Chris Ryan.

How did you find One Child in the end?

Would you recommend it? I nearly reserved it from the library but didn't in the end. Maybe next time.

I'm now on my 15th book of the year, The Woman He Loved Before by Dorothy Koomson, I'm trying to keep it light as my mojo is wavering!! :o

15 omg!!!! :o :o

Let me know what you think of The Woman He Loved Before. It's been on my wish list ever since it first came out. It's got some good reviews.

The lovely Chrissy sent me a suprised book. A package from Amazon arrived this morning and I knew I hadn't ordered something, or it I had I didn't know about it....lol. Inside a copy of 'The Hunger Games'. I must have mentioned somewhere that I hadn't read it according to the wee note with it.

How did you find One Child in the end?

Would you recommend it? I nearly reserved it from the library but didn't in the end. Maybe next time.

I did enjoy it, but it would depend on how you find the subject matter. It was quite upsetting with how she was treated, but I liked how she wasnt given up on. I'd say give it a go if you like that sort of thing :)

In my bookish news I brought Before We Say Goodbye by Louise Candlish.

I finished One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - more progress made on the 1001 list! I enjoyed it but it was hard going in places so rewarding myself with something a bit easier - The Bone Garden by Tess Gerritsen.

I finished One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - more progress made on the 1001 list!

congrats with that... what are you up to now on the list? The wife and I attempted to read One Flew aloud to each other... not the kind of book that lends itself easily to that. I ended up finishing it by myself :D

what do you think you'll read next off the list?

yay... the Suicides is excellent. I thought it was even better than Middlesex... perhaps.

Wow, that's high praise indeed! I've tried not to have high hopes for Suicides because I loved Middlesex so much. Have you read his latest: The Marriage Plot?

I finished One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - more progress made on the 1001 list! I enjoyed it but it was hard going in places so rewarding myself with something a bit easier - The Bone Garden by Tess Gerritsen.

congrats with that... what are you up to now on the list? The wife and I attempted to read One Flew aloud to each other... not the kind of book that lends itself easily to that. I ended up finishing it by myself :D

I loved One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest - the book and the film. A rare occasion of a great adaptation of a great book. Although the first time I tried to read the book I couldn't get into it. A few years later I tried again and really enjoyed it. I can see how it would not lend itself to being read aloud though!

I finished Tom All Alone's by Lynn Shepherd last night , very enjoyable read . I've decided to crack on with the Sharpe books so I've started Sharpe's Fortress as my next read

what do you think you'll read next off the list?

I'm only up to 16! I'm making efforts to put that right though. It's only a couple of years ago I got back into reading after 4 years of undergrad uni then a year's post grad basically put me right off. 1977 by David Peace is next because at some point I need to take it back to the library rather than endlessly renewing the far too large stack I have!

I'd like to see the movie Ruth - I always read books before seeing the movie and then am often disappointed but Dad said they were very similar.

^^Thinner, as in the Stephen King (writing as Richard Bachman) book? That was the first book by Stephen King which I read, and I really liked it.

I've finished Gigi and The Cat, by Colette. Quite liked both stories, but as they were both short, there wasn't much room for characterisation. I'd definitely read a full length novel by Colette though, based on these.

Plugging on with Arlington Road. Full of women with money, nice homes and healthy children, all whingeing about their lot. Still waiting for a likeable character to come along...but will persevere!

Edited by Ruth

I have been feeling down since my doggy got put down yesterday (wednesday) and had to get out of the house for a bit (lots of memories everywhere). I ended up buying more books that I don't really need, and three bookshelves that I needed for the books I do have.

Picture and lists on the way, I will get to writing that list, I promise.

I don't know if I had said it earlier or not but I bought a few more books online, the site was having a clearance sale, and also bought another from BD.

I got The Fifth Child by Doris Lessing for the reading circle in the post day and I downloaded a couple more for my kindle.

- Sophies Secret (Whispers) - Tara West

- Born Again Bag Lady - Rhayne Thomas

- Finding Emma - Steena Holmes

I have been feeling down since my doggy got put down yesterday (wednesday) and had to get out of the house for a bit (lots of memories everywhere). I ended up buying more books that I don't really need, and three bookshelves that I needed for the books I do have.

Awwww! :( :( I'm so sorry about your dog :(:empathy: :empathy:

I'll be going to the library in a moment, Death Comes to Pemberley has arrived and I'm also going to borrow a copy of The Fifth Child for the reading circle, if I remember to.

^^Thinner, as in the Stephen King (writing as Richard Bachman) book? That was the first book by Stephen King which I read, and I really liked it.

Yeah that one, It is the first book I have read that he wrote as Bachman. It was good but not my favourite King so far.

Awwww! :( :( I'm so sorry about your dog :(:empathy: :empathy:

I'll be going to the library in a moment, Death Comes to Pemberley has arrived and I'm also going to borrow a copy of The Fifth Child for the reading circle, if I remember to.

So sorry to hear about your doggy Devi, I'll be thinking of you x

Thank you to you both :hug:

Jess belonged to my brother first, then became mine when he passed, so as stupid as it may sound, I feel like I have lost my last link to my brother - if that makes sense.

-----

In book related news, I picked up my copy of he fifth child for the book club from the library today.

Edited by Devi

that makes total sense and is not stupid at all. sorry to hear your news.

Thank you.

------

I have started my list making of all the books I have gotten over the past couple of weeks, you can see them here! I still have one more list to write though - http://www.bookclubforum.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/9785-devis-lists-2012/page__st__40

Even though I have plenty of books to read, I couldn't resist a book slurge. I have ordered the following from Amazon:

'War Horse'- Michael Morpurgo

'We Bought a Zoo: The Amazing true story of a browken-down zoo, and the 200 animals that changed a family forever'- Benjamin Mee

'The Art of Racing in the Rain'- Garth Stein

'The Hunger Games'- Suzanne Collins

'I Capture the Castle'- Dodie Smith

In the menatime, I have just over 100 pages before finishing 'Wuthering Heights' by Emily Bronte. So far, it's not the sort of book that I was expecting, but it is still a very good novel.