<<Flicks bogie in Poopy's direction>>

Finished House of Suns and now onto Cornwell's Vagabond :smile:

Edit: Poopy!! :doh::giggle2:

Edited by Karsa Orlong

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and just now, a friend called past with a box of books, 36 all up! I just need to sort through what's in there and pick what I would like to keep :lol:

Wow, that's fab!! A friend of mine in America went to a thrift store and came away with a box full of books (28 in total) for $1. ONE DOLLAR!! She said that they were basically saying that you could have as many books as you could fit into a box for $1. We were talking to her yesterday, and she got some great titles.

I'm reading The Cat, by Colette, which I'm enjoying. I also started Arlington Park by Rachel Cusk this morning. It seems to be full of whingeing women, but I shall see how I get on.

I can't seem to get into any book lately :(

I know the feeling Sofia, my mood is a bit low at the mo so I'm finding it hard to find books that a, don't depress me further and b, can transport me to another place... I've got two books on the go at the moment, The Report by Jessica Francis Kane, which is interesting but sad and Marshmallows for Breakfast by Dorothy Koomson which I hope will bring a little light relief! I hope your mojo gets a kick start soon. :friends3:

Some awesome friends you have! :smile2: I hope you are going to list all the books you got (at the secondhand bookshop and from your friend) somewhere, I think there are a few people who are dying of curiosity :D

I sure will! I plan on making a list tomorrow.

I had put word out to my friends that if they had any books they no longer wanted, to send them my way. I heard from a friend to expect a couple more boxes :lol:

It's like Christmas morning, I can't wait to see what I get.

I finished Coffee at Luke's today.

Well?! How did you like it?? Don't keep a fool in suspense!

I sure will! I plan on making a list tomorrow.

I had put word out to my friends that if they had any books they no longer wanted, to send them my way. I heard from a friend to expect a couple more boxes :lol:

It's like Christmas morning, I can't wait to see what I get.

Can't wait to see the list! :smile2: And I can't believe you are gonna get a few boxes of books off friends, just like that :lol: Good times! :D

Can't wait to see the list! :smile2: And I can't believe you are gonna get a few boxes of books off friends, just like that :lol: Good times! :D

Well all my friends give them to op shops anyway, so I said make me the middle man! I will just give what I don't want to read to the op shop anyway.

I also thought I might do a book swap/giveaway list on here. :lol:

Edited by Devi

I know the feeling Sofia, my mood is a bit low at the mo so I'm finding it hard to find books that a, don't depress me further and b, can transport me to another place... I've got two books on the go at the moment, The Report by Jessica Francis Kane, which is interesting but sad and Marshmallows for Breakfast by Dorothy Koomson which I hope will bring a little light relief! I hope your mojo gets a kick start soon. :friends3:

Thanks chaliepud....hows Marshmallows going? I have that in my TBR pile

I believe you did that on purpose :D

:lol: Genuine typo, but it made me giggle :D

Went to Waterstones at Piccadilly last night (apparently it's the biggest book shop in Europe, is that true?) and they had one copy each of the David Gemmell and Steve Pressfield books I was looking for but they were all bent and knackered, looked like used copies. I wasn't going to pay full price for books in that condition. Running out of options now :(

ETA: Okay, just ordered the two Gemmell paperbacks from Amazon: Sword in the Storm and Winter Warriors. I had a gift token to use, too, so they were effectively presents :smile:

Also, total impulse, I ordered two more paperbacks from the Marketplace, both from Jack Whyte's Arthurian 'Dream of Eagles' series: The Skystone and The Singing Sword :smile:

Edited by Karsa Orlong

My reading was stalled by a busy weekend. However, I'm plugging on with Arlington Park, although so far I don't like any of the characters. All they seem to do is whinge, whinge, whinge. As it's for my f2f book group, I shall press on and finish it though; at least it's quite short.

Nearly finished The Cat by Colette. I really like her writing, and am going to have a look at her full length novels.

I bought Christmas at Cold Comfort Farm and two Inspector Maigret books from my local Oxfam yesterday. I'm reading the very first Eric Ambler book called Uncommon Danger and the next on the list is Enchantments by Kathryn Harrison (a novel about Rasputin's daughter's friendship with the Tsarevitch).

Edited by SueK

This is unbelievable! I've been looking for a new spring coat, I'm sweating in my winter coat and I only have a T-shirt on! It took me 2 days to find a coat I liked and could afford and that looks relatively nice on me, me thinks. When I was going through just about all the stores of Joensuu, I also looked into the secondhand shops, and I did browse through the books, too :blush: But I stayed strong! There were some great titles which I wanted but didn't get.

However. I did buy one book. I simply had to. I found Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, in Finnish, as a hardback, for only 3 euros!!! I couldn't believe my eyes. It was a real steal. Seriously. Now I only have to find the Finnish copies of The Order of the Phoenix and The Prisoner of Azkaban and I have the whole set. Then I shall re-read the books. Oh, what a marvelous day :wub:

Thanks chaliepud....hows Marshmallows going? I have that in my TBR pile

Well Sofia, I wasn't sure about it at first, but after I walked the dogs (10am) I sat down for a quick read...and I just finished it, so much for a tidy house!!!

I really enjoyed it, her books are so easy to read. So, to keep my mojo going I think I'll either read The Chocolate Run or The Woman He Loved Before next! Hope you are able to read more today.. :empathy:

I have reserved at the library 'My Sister Lives on the Mantelpiece' by Annabel Pitcher and 'The Pact' by Jodi Picoult.

Hope they arrive before the weekend. I hate being without a book at my hands. Especially ones I've had my eye on for a while.

Well Sofia, I wasn't sure about it at first, but after I walked the dogs (10am) I sat down for a quick read...and I just finished it, so much for a tidy house!!!

I really enjoyed it, her books are so easy to read. So, to keep my mojo going I think I'll either read The Chocolate Run or The Woman He Loved Before next! Hope you are able to read more today.. :empathy:

maybe that's what I need...just something quick and easy....I started The Bluest Eye last night, only read about 15 pages, but we'll see how it goes tonight. If I lose interest, maybe I'll try reading Marshmallows...thanks chalie :alc:

I am reading a really interesting book at the moment - the last one that Jennifer Worth wrote before she died, ironically on the subject of death. Jennifer was of course the author of the Call the Midwife series. Far from being morbid and morose, it is a really interesting subject albeit not one that is openly discussed. This book though is making me realise that it should be. It has also been a bit of an eye opener as to what goes on in hospitals and some (not the one I work in thank goodness) care homes.

On the way home yesterday I bought Steven Pressfield's Gates of Fire in Smiths. That means I bought five books in total yesterday :rolleyes:

That's been in my TBR for ages now! sounds really interesting but can't seem to get round to reading it.