Your book activity in 2012

Kell

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finished the Omnibus of The Railway Detective last night (3 stories in one volume) and very good "ripping yarns" they are too! I've started on a kindle book today called Anastasia by Colin Falconer and so far it is very good and quite a new take on the old Anastasia Romanov theories.

Oh, yes, my mojo decided to come back - I said "where the dickens have you been" ...... I'm making up for lost time and I've got lots of this :readingtwo: :readingtwo: to catch up on.

Started and finished Therapy by Sebastian Fitzek in 24 hours, very unusual for me as I don't normally ignore jobs that need doing but hey ho it was gripping and I wanted to find out how it ended!

I actually had figured some of the answers by the end but I still enjoyed it very much and it certainly had enough twists and turns to keep me interested. :-))

Started and finished Therapy by Sebastian Fitzek in 24 hours, very unusual for me as I don't normally ignore jobs that need doing but hey ho it was gripping and I wanted to find out how it ended!

I actually had figured some of the answers by the end but I still enjoyed it very much and it certainly had enough twists and turns to keep me interested. :-))

:eek: I did too! I could hardly put it down. Here is a mini review I posted last year.... http://www.bookclubforum.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/7824-pontalbas-2011-reading-list/page__st__20 post # 22.

I'm on page 96 of Barbara Erskine's novel 'Time's Legacy'. So far, I have the feeling that the writer of this novel is trying to write 2 (almost 3) novels worth of plot into one. Whilst I am enjoying each separate theme within the book, I don't think all of them gel together. I will keep reading to see how this pans out.

Edited by karen.d

Room was my favorite book last year, I hope you enjoy it! Breakfast at Tiffany's and The Book Thief are also awesome. And The Art of Racing in the Rain is pure gold, that's an amazing book. Have some Kleenex near by when you read it!

frankie, I actually have you to thank for my purchase of The Art of Racing in the Rain. You recommended it to me about two years ago after reading my review of Marley and Me. Hopefully I get around to reading it before another two years passes. ;)

I felt the same way about Gone With The Wind. It was so big I couldn't face reading it for ages. Finally picked it up last year, and loved it. And even though it was such a long novel, I honestly don't think any of it needed to be cut out. The film is long too - about 4 hours - but well worth watching.

The Art of Racing in the Rain is an AMAZING book. I totally agree with Frankie, it's just a fabulous read. Ditto The Book Thief - terrific. I loved Breakfast at Tiffanys too. Different from the film, but just as enjoyable. (And I have The Hunger Games trilogy on the Kindle, but am saving those for holiday). I hope you enjoy the other three as much as I did :)

Thanks, Ruth, I'm sure I will! Oh, and I loved the movie too, but as always, the book was better.

Room & The Book Thief are two of my faves....you'll love them :D

That's one awesome book haul, bookworm! The Book Thief, Breakfast at Tiffany's and The Hunger Games are all among my favourite books. :) I really enjoyed Room too.

Sounds like you have some great reads coming up -- I agree with the majority: "Room" was definitely my favorite of last year, and "The Book Thief" and "THG" were both reads I really enjoyed, also! I'm kinda jealous you get to start at the beginning with all of these. :wink:

After all the positive comments I've heard about Gone with the Wind, I think I'll probably make it my next read. :smile:

You are in for such a treat with these two books. I read The Art of Racing in the Rain a short while ago, and absolutely loved it. Cried buckets, but it's so uplifting. And of course, The Book Thief is just wonderful as well. Very well written, and it just tugs at the heartstrings. I hope you enjoy them.

So happy to know you all loved reading the books I purchased. I'm looking forward to reading them even more now!

bobblybear, I'm so happy to see that you've decided to read Gone with the Wind. Hope you enjoy as much as I did.

I'm 100 pages into Room and enjoying it.

I've just downloaded the March Reading Circle book, Pied Piper by Nevil Shute, which I might make a start on today. I'm still reading Moonwalking With Einstein, but as it's non-fiction, it's easy to dip in and out of, so I'll probably read the two alongside each other.

frankie, I actually have you to thank for my purchase of The Art of Racing in the Rain. You recommended it to me about two years ago after reading my review of Marley and Me. Hopefully I get around to reading it before another two years passes. ;)

Aww, that's cool :smile2: But you see, I only found out about the book because I read Ruth's wonderful review on it, so she's really the one to be blamed :giggle: I do hope you get to reading it soon and not in 1 year and 11 months :D

I started reading Pied Piper in bed last night, it started off pretty nicely.

Finished A Study in Scarlet last night :exc:

I didn't expect it to be that good! I couldn't get through the pages fast enough it was so exciting. Thought I knew the story (from tv) but not really.

Now concentrating on finishing :

The Scapegoat - Daphne Du Maurier

John Jasper's Secret

Horse Sense for People - Monty Roberts

Aww, that's cool :smile2: But you see, I only found out about the book because I read Ruth's wonderful review on it, so she's really the one to be blamed :giggle: I do hope you get to reading it soon and not in 1 year and 11 months :D

I started reading Pied Piper in bed last night, it started off pretty nicely.

Ah bless you Frankie :) I always think it's wonderful when someone loves a book as much as I do :D

Hope you love it too Bookworm :)

Finished A Study in Scarlet last night :exc:

I didn't expect it to be that good! I couldn't get through the pages fast enough it was so exciting. Thought I knew the story (from tv) but not really.

Now concentrating on finishing :

The Scapegoat - Daphne Du Maurier

John Jasper's Secret

Horse Sense for People - Monty Roberts

So pleased you enjoyed Study in Scarlet. I think it is a great thriller. As you say, the middle part of the story is very compelling. I hope you enjoy The Scapegoat. I found a copy last year in my local Oxfam and thought it was just brilliant. You need to suspend belief when you read it though.

Ah bless you Frankie :) I always think it's wonderful when someone loves a book as much as I do :D

It is a rather precious feeling, isn't it! That's what I love about this forum (among other things), here we get to learn what people really thought about the books we've suggested they read. And in detail too. In real life people don't usually remember to tell what they thought of a book, unless they are as book crazed as I am.

:eek: I did too! I could hardly put it down. Here is a mini review I posted last year.... http://www.bookclubforum.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/7824-pontalbas-2011-reading-list/page__st__20 post # 22.

This book caught my interest and it is on my check out list, have either of you or anyone else for that matter, read his other books, the child, splinter or the spirit breaker?

Edited by Devi

This book caught my interest and it is on my check out list, have either of you or anyone else for that matter, read his other books, the child, splinter or the spirit breaker?

No, but I've put it on my Amazon wish list, it doesn't get as good reviews as Therapy but I think I'll definitely give it a try at some point..

I've started I Am The Messenger by Markus Zusak, I'm not expecting it to be as good as The Book Thief (is that possible?) but I'm hoping it will be at least a 4/5...

I've started I Am The Messenger by Markus Zusak, I'm not expecting it to be as good as The Book Thief (is that possible?) but I'm hoping it will be at least a 4/5...

I have this too and I was wondering the same thing....do let us know how it goes?

Just finished reading the Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz - and really liked it. Especially the last 30 or so pages captured me totally. Then I picked up a book that has all the stories of Scandinavian mythology compiled and read the first few chapters. So excited about this one, too!

Started Before I Go To Sleep by SJ Watson, last night, well.. before I went to sleep (*groan*). Spent the vast majority of today reading it, and finished a few hours ago. Gripping, cleverly and deftly written, and overall very enjoyable.

Edited by Ben

My reading mojo completely deserted me :( taken me ages to Plowright through Small World, but finally done! It was pants and I shouldn't have bothered!

Now onto The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao which will tick off Dominican Republic for my world challenge.