Your book activity in 2012

Kell

I'm still currently reading the book. theif, only 100 pages in, but one thing I do love about this book is it's short chapters. When I have 5 or 10mins to myself, I can knock out a chapter or two and feel like I am getting somewhere :lol:

Edited by Devi

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am on my 10th book for the year so far - Dilirium by Lauren Oliver. It was one of those what popped up as a book that was purchased by others who had read the one I was looking at on Amazon, so I added it to my wish list and eventually got it. I had never heard of this author before, but am loving the book - it's very different to the type of thing I normally read, which is perhaps why - I am looking forward to reading the sequel next.

Started Before I Go To Sleep by SJ Watson, last night, well.. before I went to sleep (*groan*). Spent the vast majority of today reading it, and finished a few hours ago. Gripping, cleverly and deftly written, and overall very enjoyable.

This book is on my TBR list, it's good that you enjoyed this.

I finished reading Room by Emma Donoghue, and The Book Thief by Markus Zusak will mostly likely be my next read.

What did you think of 'Room' by Emma Donoghue? I read this novel and loved it.

For my birthday just before Christmas I had a kindle, my hubby also bought me off ebay a Disk of 3500 crime books, so I have started reading them and started with the A's so I have just finished On the Fifth Day by A J Hartley.

I have just started A Feast for Crows by George RR Martin I'm a third way through and finding it a bit boring. Not really much happening and am missing the characters from the previous books.

Before I started this I read Mistborn Bk1 - The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson a book I loved. Great story with great charcters and loved the unusual powers they had. Have ordered the rest of series.

Just got back from Monmouth and came back with a Kobo Vox :D It was only £149.99 (cheapest price around at the moment) It's on charge at the moment so will have a play around later and post a review.

http://www.whsmith.c...ch/kobovox.aspx

So I've had my Vox for almost three weeks now, at first I was fairly pleased with it and was OK too read off. However the touch screen was fairly unresponsive and froze a couple of times. The battery life was on average 2-4 hours, about two weeks in it froze and I reset only to find out all of books had been deleted so had to upload them all again :s. Also it is not ideal to read in only one hand and 90% of the time required both hands.

I took the vox back to the shop today and swapped it for a Kobo Touch, which is a lot lighter and easier to hold, hope this one turns out better than the vox, will keep you all posted.

My reading mojo completely deserted me :( taken me ages to Plowright through Small World, but finally done! It was pants and I shouldn't have bothered!

Now onto The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao which will tick off Dominican Republic for my world challenge.

How are you getting on with this, Alex? I seem to remember a lot of people on here didn't get on with it, but I hope you're enjoying it and that it'll kick-start your mojo. :)

How are you getting on with this, Alex? I seem to remember a lot of people on here didn't get on with it, but I hope you're enjoying it and that it'll kick-start your mojo. :)

Not brilliantly! Perhaps that's unfair given I'm only 30 pages in but the writing style isn't my cup of tea at all. :( if there are notes at the bottom of the page I like them to be short, sharp, snappy and there for a reason, there is a whole separate book of waffle in the notes! I'd be tempted to give up already but I believe it's on the 1001 list.

I've just finished March's Reading Circle book Pied Piper by Nevil Shute. Loved it! :D

I have 45 pages left of the book and I'm really hoping that

<br>the emoticon you used is indicative of something!!

I read about 100 pages of the book last night in bed, I am hooked! :smile2:

I have managed to read about 4 of the books a bought for my holiday so far and downloaded a couple of new ones. All thanks to siesta we should have them all over the world they are brilliant

Started Raymond E Feist's Silverthorn this morning. Derivative drivel, but it's been on the shelf for years so I thought I'd better get it over and done with :lol:

All thanks to siesta we should have them all over the world they are brilliant

I take mine unofficially. Nobody seems to notice the difference, which is worrying :giggle2:

So pleased you enjoyed Study in Scarlet. I think it is a great thriller. As you say, the middle part of the story is very compelling. I hope you enjoy The Scapegoat. I found a copy last year in my local Oxfam and thought it was just brilliant. You need to suspend belief when you read it though.

I do find myself asking questions of The Scapegoat and then tell myself to "shut up and go with it!" Du Maurier has never disappointed me in the past, so I'm sure she won't this time.

Have just bought The Strange Case of Sherlock Holmes and Arthur Conan Doyle on dvd, with Douglas Henshall and Tim McInnerney. Watched it ages ago on tv and loved it.

Couldn't resist starting Mark Gatiss' Black Butterfly over the weekend. It was sat on my shelf calling to me, and I really fancied a fun read!