Pickle's Picks in 2012

pickle

• 4 weeks later...

Hey pickle! Glad to see your mojo is as strong as ever, any chance you could send some motivation to mine? :D Btw have you read Lothaire yet?

Have read and loved it I got my fix as soon as it came out. Read a lot more since then though but most of its been pretty pants just haven't had the motivation to write it up on here.

Probably read as many but only a few stand out, its been a bit dire, maybe work being such a pain is reflected in my less than glorious selection which I will write up soooooooon :smile:

• 3 weeks later...

great readings, pickle!

wow, you've already read Midnight Breed #10... =O Here there are only the three firsts! the fourth will be outing soon, though! I've already read them and I liked very much (although nothing compared to Black Dagger Brotherhood series *-*)!

and also Artemis Fowl! ooh, I love him, hahahah! This series is great! I've read until sixth book and it only gets better! anxious for the next one, but first I'll re-read since the beginning! I've already started re-reading the first one! \o/

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I have finally totted up what I have read since I last posted on my own thread. So I have posted these here and reviewed a few not in any great depth but with a passing comment either scathing or loving :smile: .

Its been a busy reading time and not all have been good but some have been marvellous.

84. The Iron King – Julie Kagwa

the start of a new series, it got mixed reviews so initially I was a little hmmm about whether to get it, then I realised it was the end of the month I had nothing to read and this was cheap. Actually I found myself it enjoying it it is a YA book has a fairly traditional synopsis, girl in school unpopular a bit of an oddity finds she is in fact the daughter of the Oberon and the Elves she has to venture into this unknown world when her half brother is kidnapped and a changeling is left in his place- so it also has elements of Labyrinth. I will read the next few in the series it is supposed to get better as the story develops.

85. The Steampunk Detective – Darrell Pitt

A freebie but a goodie, this one a nod towards Sherlock Holmes meets the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

86. The Drowning – Camilla Lackberg

One of my favourite Swedish crime writers and very much overlooked with the popularity of Nesbo and Larsson but still with the irritating sticker of being the next Stieg Larsson. I won’t say too much about this book mainly because although its a stand alone story the development of the characters are key – and it ends on a horrible cliff hanger which I now really want to know what happens.

87. The Parasol Protectorate – Timeless – Gail Carriger

loved this whole series. see below I ended up reading them all one after the other very different but funny too.

88. The Parasol Protectorate – Heartless Gail Carriger

89. The Parasol Protectorate – Blameless Gail Carriger

90. Everlasting Bad Boys – Various

a variety of short stories vampires and werewolves part of a whole load I read in the last couple of months when I was going through a slump.

91. The Last Werewolf – Glen Duncan

Weird slightly odd book, much darker no romance more of a horror story about a man who is the last werewolf in the world and the various people who are trying to kill or take him for their own use.

92. Entangled – Cat Clarke

93. The Third Pig Detective Agency – Bob Burke

possibly trying to hard to be Jasper Fforde the idea is similar not as well executed but ok.

94. Alphas mate – Caryn Moya Block

rubbish utter rubbish really bad even for the type of book.

95. Crystals Gardens – Jayne Anne Krentz

pure escapism of one of my favourite romantic authors no need to engage brain but enjoy the ride.

96. Sweet Dreams – Dana Marie Bell

ok shape shifter novel part of a series not awful but I was in a slump

97.Outsourced – Saul Tapper

Short Zombie novel. Odd!

98. Bear Necessities – Dana Marie Bell

see above

99. The Lake – Stephen F Galloway

Ghostly story parts of the story worked but parts were irritating the main character just didn’t work for me.

100. An Alphas Path – Carrie Ann Ryan

Terrible just finished it because I had it.

101. The Mane Squeeze - Shelley Laurenston

series of shape shifter novels ok nit the best but not bad either.

102. The Vampire Kiss – Cynthia Eden

yes I read lots by here vampires and other creatures of the night great romantic passionate and pure escapism.

103. The Mane Event – Shelley Laureston

series of shape shifter novels ok nit the best but not bad either

104. Angel of Darkness - Cynthia Eden

yes I read lots by here vampires and other creatures of the night great romantic passionate and pure escapism

105. When he was bad - Cynthia Eden & Shelley Laureston

see above

106. Midnights Master - Cynthia Eden

see above

107. TICK TOCK RUN – H Elliston

awful but at least I didn’t pay for it.

108. Never Cry Wolf - Cynthia Eden

109. Belong to the Night – Various

110. Eternal Flame - Cynthia Eden

111. Hotter after Midnight - Cynthia Eden

112. Bound in Darkness - Cynthia Eden

113. Bound by Blood - Cynthia Eden

114. Bound in Sin - Cynthia Eden

115. Dorothy the Darker side of OZ – Scott Stanford & Stephen Trumble

great dark and macabre reworking of the original story.

117. Waiting Game – Jayne Anne Krentz

118. The Parasol Protectorate – Changeless – Gail Carriger

119. Parasol Protectorate – Soulless – Gail Carriger

120. Making Money – Terry Pratchett

funny escapism

121. White Cat – Holly Black

At first I was unsure about this book it seemed to start in the middle of a story but gradually I grew to like t and even read the second book (below) Cassel realises his memories have been mixed with and as the only non curse worker in his family he is unsure what is real and what isn’t in his past. Will definitely read the next in the trilogy.

22. Red Glove – Holly Black

see above

123. Killed at the Whim of a Hat – Colin Cotterill

Great whimsical detective series, this one doesn’t feature Dr Siri but is still set on Thailand.

124. Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children – Ransom Riggs

Loved it odd brilliant and beautiful. I loved the photographs throughout the book.

125. Kind of Cruel – Sophie Hannah

Psychological book a little long winded as you knew how it was going to end or at least who the baddie was by the mid point of the book.