Pickle's Picks in 2012

pickle

Yay the New Year is here and its time to start a new list for 2012.

So I have a few books on my Kindle to start the new year with not strictly speaking a TBR pile as I don't really have one but things I have been picking up in the sale on amazon.

woo hoo the first book of the year is done and dusted

1. The Hidden World (The Remarkable adventures of Tom Scatterhorn 2) - Henry Chancellor.

Tom is back at the Scatterhorn Museum, looking forward to spending some time there while his parents are away on one of their adventures. But an unexpected visitor called Pearl Smoot throws everything into disarray when she arrives with an incredible story. She says Tom's old enemy, Don Gervase Askary, has taken her father and brother - and what's more, she claims he has Tom's parents too. Together Tom and Pearl set out on a perilous journey to rescue their families - a journey that will take them in and out of time, to exotic foreign lands, and finally into the secret hidden world of Scarazand, stronghold of the terrifying Don Gervase himself

I really enjoyed this book its the second part of a series of adventures featuring Tom Scatterhorn who inherits the Scatterhorn museum a Victorian style museum filled with diaorama' s of stuffed animals and other memorobilia. In this story Tom encounters old friends and enemies. I encoutered the first book in the Ashmolean museum in Oxford in book form but picked this one up in the kindle sale..

One down many to go for 2012 I hope :readingtwo:

Ha ha ha No's 2 and 3 oh no I mean 4 coming up ooops

2. The Knife of Never Letting go - Patrick Ness

3. Deeper than Nidnight - Lara Adrian

4. The Dead of Winter - Chris Priestly

will do a fuller review tommorow. I am also par way through Death Comes to Pemberley - P D James, Dark Heavens - Kylie Chan and The Mammoth book of New herlock Holmes - Mike Ashley although I have downloaded quite a few recently so not sure which I will finish first.

2. The Knife of Never Letting go - Patrick Ness

Will be interested to see what you thought of this, my son, age 12, got the trilogy for Christmas but couldn't get into it as he said he didn't understand the dialogue, something about a talking dog?? :smile:

Will be interested to see what you thought of this, my son, age 12, got the trilogy for Christmas but couldn't get into it as he said he didn't understand the dialogue, something about a talking dog?? :smile:

I really enjoyed the book, I loved the characters and the storyline but I can imagine it might be a little confusing the language is written as if you were a 12 year old boy who would not necessarily be educated so he almost guesses at how the words may sound and to me as an adult I found that really interesting, it was like well written regional accents. There is a talking dog as the plot of the story revolves around a soon to be 13 year old boy becoming a man on a pioneer planet, he lives in a town soley inhabited by men and the history he has been told is that a battle took place in the past between the native inhabitants and the new settlers on the colony, in revenge for their arrival the native inhabitants released a virus into the atmosphere killing all the women and making the thoughts of all the men heard by all around them its called the noise. The animals too were infected and therefore have a rudimentary language hence the talking dog.

The boy Todd Hewitt is the youngest boy in town, he is 30 days from becoming a man at the age of 13 and thats his main goal in life to reach manhood and get a knife, to be able to put aside the chores and responsibilities of things he considers childs work. However he discovers that all is not well in the small world he inhabits when he discovers something impossible in the nearby swamp and he is forced to give up all he knows and search for answers.

I loved the book and wil get round to reading the nexct two in the trilogy as soon as possible.

Edited by pickle

3. Deeper than Midnight - Lara Adrian is book 9 in her breed series with one more book to go I ploughed through this one quite quickly I bought it in the kindle sale as probably I would have held out longer as they never grabbed me as much as the J R Ward books, however things are coming to a head, and the final instalment is already out. The Order of warriors are about to face their nemesis Dragos.

4. The Dead of Winter - Chris Priestly

I picked this up in the kindle sale and thought it was a good little read a little light horror (nothing gory) but more of the traditional spooky atmospheric nature of M R James, very well written.

The story is written in retropsect of something which happened to the narrator in his childhood when with the death of his mother is he is sent to live (reluctantly) with his guardian in a large haunted house on the edge of the fens. His sensitive (and I mean seeing things) nature means he begins to become aware of the strange atmosphere in the house and how odd his guardian are acting.

I liked the story it wasn't too scary ( I don't do too much of this genre) I guessed part of the story but it didn't subtract from my enjoyment might look up some more stuff by the author in the future.

and I have finished my 5th book at lunchtime today

5. Dark Heavens 1 (White Tiger ) - Kylie Chan

I really wanted this to be good despite the very mixed reviews on Amazon I thought the idea was interesting finally a paranormal urban fantasy call it what you will which is set outside of the US or UK and in Hong Kong/ China and involves mysterious gods and demons. The story revolves around an Australian nanny who works full time for a mysterious employer who she falls for (yup what a suprise) he turns out to be the Dark Lord of the North (don't worry this is not giving away the story its obvious from about page 1) and is in a contant battle with demons who want his head as he is in a weakened state having lived for too long on the earthly plain for the sake of his daughter.

The language was pretty terrible, not in a sweary way but in a disjointed way the author tried to hard to make the characters seem to be witty and funny to each other and in the main just made them irritating and stilted. the story diodn't really go anywahere and its a set up for a second and third book. I am annoyed though because of my nature even though the book irritated the hell out of me I want to know what happens next so I might have to buy the second part as it was left on a sort of cliff hanger....dam its annoying when my curiosity gets the better of me but I will resist for a bit longer.

Edited by pickle

I really enjoyed the book, I loved the characters and the storyline but I can imagine it might be a little confusing the language is written as if you were a 12 year old boy who would not necessarily be educated so he almost guesses at how the words may sound and to me as an adult I found that really interesting, it was like well written regional accents. There is a talking dog as the plot of the story revolves around a soon to be 13 year old boy becoming a man on a pioneer planet, he lives in a town soley inhabited by men and the history he has been told is that a battle took place in the past between the native inhabitants and the new settlers on the colony, in revenge for their arrival the native inhabitants released a virus into the atmosphere killing all the women and making the thoughts of all the men heard by all around them its called the noise. The animals too were infected and therefore have a rudimentary language hence the talking dog.

The boy Todd Hewitt is the youngest boy in town, he is 30 days from becoming a man at the age of 13 and thats his main goal in life to reach manhood and get a knife, to be able to put aside the chores and responsibilities of things he considers childs work. However he discovers that all is not well in the small world he inhabits when he discovers something impossible in the nearby swamp and he is forced to give up all he knows and search for answers.

I loved the book and wil get round to reading the nexct two in the trilogy as soon as possible.

Thanks Pickle, mucho appreciated, It's good to know he's not just being lazy (it's been known to happen ;) )

Was Deeper Than Midnight the one about the released breedmate? I think I downloaded that for 99p, I forgot about that! :doh: It will be my next read, thanks for reminding me! :hug:

thats the one book 9 I think only 1 left in the series.

Well I have a few more books read since I last popped on here, nothing too weighty yet but some not too bad ones.

6. Avengers Angel - Heather Killough Walden

following in from a short into book I read last year recommended from Charm I read this book as a first part to a series in which the arch angels Gabriel. Michael Urial and Azarael came to earth about 2000 years ago to search for their Archesses' females which the creator crreated especially for them and lost on earth. This is the first story and features Urial and his search and finding of his archess. This book was not as good as the short story seemed to suggest it was ok and I will read more of them but not as good as it could have been.

7. The Harvesting - Martyn Ellington

A wierd short but free fictional story of the earth and what might happen if all those stories of Alien abduction are in fact true. This follows 3 men recently of the oil rigs in Scotland travelling home when they crash their car, upon waking up they discover that some time has passed and no one seems to be around instead there are a number of abandoned cars. They think they will only need to pass the border into England thinking its a mysterious virus, but it turns out not to be true and slowly they become aware that it was an abduction....can't say too much but it was ok.

8. Uprising (The Fall of Haven) Justin Kewppainen

I really enjoyed this book, set in a world where society has become completely disjointed and the rich and powerful have segregated themselves away completely shutting out those who were not rich enough to buy their way in they have sealed the poor and criminals into the underground. To make things worse those these priviliged people raid the down below kidnapping people from the streets brain washing them and retaining them as servants in the above world (The Haven) but down below the various factions are stiring and uniting preparing to try and get above.

It was really ebtertaining this book and I am hoping and it does seem to suggest that there may be more parts to it to come.

9. Tiger of Talmare - Nina Croft

Bit of light sci fi romance this one but did enjoy seemed to be quite a short story.

10. Never Apologise Never Explain - James Craig

Not realised that this was a book 2 crime story featuring Det Carlyle set in the Uk it was slightly unsatisfying and a bit irritating really am not going to bother to pursue any further.

11. True Colours -Thea Harrison

Short story from The Harrison featuring the Wyr breeds liked it waing for her 4th book to be released so this was a taster for me. I admit I got the ending way beofre it happened but I still liked it.

12. The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (Graphic Novel)

Graphic novel based on the league encoutering The War of the Worlds

13. The Bloody Chamber - Angela Carter

Will postthoughts on the Jan reading circle rather than here save me doing it twice.

well thats it for now I didn't realise I had read that many books I have to admit, and I am part way through a couple of others at the moment anyway.

Oh dear, shame to hear Avenger's Angel wasn't as good as expected, especially after such a great intro. I know the author is doing a spin off series from the Big Bad Wolf series, it will be called The Vampire Kings. With any luck it will be back on track ;)

Wow Pickle

You are doing great ! You are leaving me in the dust ... you must be a very speedy reader ! I used to be, but I have slowed down with age I guess .

I always have done, I guess I don't have many distractions outside of work and can loose myself in a book for hours

Woot? Have you already read 13 books this year?? That's almost one book a day! Wow you are on a roll, there's no stopping you :D Have a happy year of reading :)

Thank you very much its been good so far

Oh dear, shame to hear Avenger's Angel wasn't as good as expected, especially after such a great intro. I know the author is doing a spin off series from the Big Bad Wolf series, it will be called The Vampire Kings. With any luck it will be back on track ;)

It just wasn't as good as the short novella seemed to imply, it wasn't terrible but I found myself slightly frustrated. I loved the Big Bad Wolf series and will have a look at the spin off's....btw my copy of Lothaire should arrive sometime this week...woo hooo

Well done Pickle, you're going great guns :D I'd highly recommend Chris Priestley's Tales of Terror .. they're brilliant :smile:

I will definitely have a look for a few more of his books when I finish at least one fo the 5 I have on the go at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...

You know I am really annoyed I just wrote out my whole list and commented on each book and then pressed the wrong key and now I will have to start again....bloomin technology...right I will not be defeated.

Ha ha Yeah I nearly did, glad my boos has gone home sick as I am supposed to be working but I did work thorugh my whole lunches last week..

right so I have done ia again here we go....just cut and paste...

14. Deathstalker Coda – Simon R Green.

Every time I read a book by Green I remember why I like them so much. They are witty and horrific at the same time and excellent examples of the space opera genre. In this book which appears to be the final part of the Deathstalker series although there are offshoots the deposed king Douglas is fighting for his life and his world isolated in the thieves and murders compound The Rookery on home planet. His deposer is becoming increasingly unstable and committing more and more horrific acts of murder and butchery in his desire for world and universal domination. Faced with the threat from Douglas and the threat from ‘The Terror’ slowly encroaching from the edges of the universe his final battle looks increasingly like he wants to go out in a blaze of destruction. At the same time Lewis Deathstalker has emerged from the madness maze changed to something more than human, he and his 3 companions have managed to resurrect his ancestor Owen Deathstalker and they are fighting to get back to the home world to support Douglas. Owen Deathstalker though has plans of his own he leaves the company and so changed he can now travel th9ugh time he seeks his one time love an companion Hazel D’Ark though the past in a bid to stop the inevitable destruction of the universe.

Great space opera at its best.

15. Artemis Fowl and the Lost World – Eoin Colfer

Brilliant witty and funny I know its written for kids but I love this series I haven’t read all of them but I think this is the 4th in the series. Artemis has successfully managed to predict the arrival of the demons a lost race of the ‘people’ but before he can grab the demon he encounters a nemesis he could never predict in the form of another precocious and intelligent 12 year old Minerva. She whisks the demon away and is set on exposing the ‘people’ the to world. Artemis must try and stop her with the help of Holly and Foaly and of course Butler he tries to save the day and rescue the ‘Lost Colony ‘ from inevitable destruction.

16. Nowhere to Run – C J Box.

I like the Joe Pickett series of books, in this one Joe is coming to the end of a one year posting in exile far from his family after he upset the governor and his boss. Just before his year is up though he treks into the Sierra Madre’s to investigate claims of illegal hunting and butchery, he encounters’ the Grim Brothers and just manages to escape with his life. C J Box manages to explain to a non resident of the US like me the shear weird bureaucracy of the governmental system to me and all its corruption and political shenanigans which occur on a regular basis. The only problem I have with it all is the ongoing story in which the local sheriff is a massive enemy of Pickett and although he is in hospital with obviously non self inflicted injuries the sheriff is dismissive of him. The reason being an old grudge and the sheriff is incompetent now what I don’t understand is that a law enforcer is elected and can serve a term in office despite not having any experience which to me as someone who has never encountered in my real life anyone beyond politicians who are elected (and I include local politics ) to me its ripe for corruption even though I know that the police force in this country is not perfect by any means surely this is ripe for corruption.

Anyhoo it’s a good book.

17 – 20 Agatha Raisin omnibus (The Quiche of Death, The Potted Gardener, The Vicious Vet & The Walkers of Dembley) – M C Beaton

I love Agatha Raisin and will read the rest of this series over the next year I hope. I like that Agatha on retiring to the country encounters life in a village to be so completely different to what she is used to that she feels the need to compete in everything to gain popularity. Socially awkward she is determined that by hook or by crook she will be No1 (mostly she tries to cheat though mostly she is unsuccessful with hilarious results) at the same time she is drawn to her neighbour who lives in fear of her brashness and very obvious stalking of him. You at times feel sorry for Agatha though she would be the last person to feel sorry for herself (at least for very long) on the way she becomes embroiled in murder and tries to play Miss Marple. Great!

21. The lost Art of World Domination – Derek Landy

A short story featuring Skulduggery Pleasant an offshoot to the main series. In this one Skulduggery wakes to find himself locked up in a dungeon prisoner to a man who believes he is Skulduggery’s arch nemesis, suffice to say Skulduggery disagrees and hilarious one liners and banter ensues.

22 The Mammoth Book of New Sherlock Holmes Adventures - Mike Ashley

This is a tribute to the original works of Conan Doyle and its not to bad I have read quite a lot of these type of books and this is a good example of the work. In this various authors take a case each and write it in the Doyle style. It of course starts with the premise that Holmes was a real character and that Watsons papers have subsequently come to light hidden for so many years. I liked nearly all the stories, the titles of which are taken from the original books when Watson mentions one of Holmes’s cases in passing…eg it was just after the adventure of the Man with the Hair Lip that the Speckled Band came to light. The only problem I have is that each story feels the need to demonstrate Holmes powers of observation by doing his parlour trick of interpreting each of his customers with the usual ‘ I see you have come down on the 8.30 from Exeter’ and you have a ‘sister in a lunatic asylum’ etc.. and far to much of ‘the games a foot’ the stories themselves though where by and large pretty good though.

woo hoo success!!!

Edited by pickle

• 1 month later...

apologies for the short nature of the reviews I hadn't realised it had been so long since I posted on here so had a lot to get through. oops!! must try harder.

23. The Burning Soul - John Connolly

I am a big Connolly fan and this is the latest in the Charlie Parker series, not the best but not a bad read for the holidays in this one a long ago murder of a young girl comes back to haunt a man who turns to charlie Parker to help him after the dissapearance of another girl sets him up. Whats missing from this book is the usual spookiness you associate with Charlie Parker its not perhaps as dark as the others in the series certainly not as much as the last two had been. I hope he goes back to that spookiness thouigh its what sets him apart from other in this genre.

24. Bewitching the Werewolf - Caroline Hanson

a short cheap book before I went on holiday werewolf romance I was trying to save the wish list so not bad but not good.

25. Tranquility - Anya Bast

as below two stories featuring shapeshifters again it was because I was saving the books I really wanted to read til I went away but by buyiong 2 of them you can see they weren't too bad.

26. Fury - Anya Bast

27. Tempests Legacy ( Jane True 3) - Nicole Peeler

Love this series and am going to get No4 next to read, witty continuation of Jane Trues discovery if her powers as half selkie.

28. Take the Monkeys and Run - Karen Cantwell

An amusing Janet Evanovitch style book will probably dig up more by this author provided they don't get too expensive. A suburban mum investigates mysterious shennanigans in the house next door.

29. Explosive Eighteen - Janet Evanovitch

Continuing the latest instalment of Stephanie Plum funny maybe not as good as some of the others in the series but perfect for a lighthearted read.

30. Ghost Story (Dresden Files) - Jim Butcher

I was a little dissapointed with this one in the series, it follows on directly from the last book won't give too much away as it will spoil for anyone reading this series. Still not a bad read and I will still continue with the series.

31. Spiders Revenger - Jennifer Estep

Love this series Gin Blanco is now looking to take out her target Mab but her assasination attempt is hampered by the bounty Mab has put on her plate. Great series in the elemental assasins books.

32. Hidden - Kelley Armstrong

Lovely Novella featuring Clay and Elena taking the children on holiday but ending up investigating a death possibly at the hands of a rogue wolf.

33. Copper Beach - Jayne Anne Krentz

Guilty pleasure romance with a whif of paranormal.

34. Karma Girl (Big Time Superhero 1) - Jennifer Estep

35. Hot Mama (Big Time Superhero 2) - Jennifer Estep

36. Jinx (Big Time Superhero 3) - Jennifer Estep

will do all of the above in one,

Janet Evanovitch meets marvel comics, great trilogy of books. Every town had a superhero and ubervillan associated with it, after unmasking her fiance in bed with another woman and subsequently finding they are the superhero and ubervillan of her home town Carmen decides her mission is to unmask them all and reveal the hidden identities to the world with chaotic results when she tries to unmask the Fearless five but comes underattach by their arch nemesis's the Terrible Triad.

37. Tangled Threads - Jennifer Estep

The book prior to Spiders Revenge above) good series.

38. Bodyguard (shifters unbound) - Jennifer Ashley

short story not a bad read might invest in the longer books later on.

39. Grave Witch - Kalayna Price

40. Grave Dance - Kalayna Price

books 1 and 2 of a new series which I suprisingly enjoyed I thought they might be run of the mill the same as all the others but in fact I really did get into them. Featuring necromancy and witchcraft.

41. Dragon Warrior - Caroline Hanson

a sort of post apocalyptic romace. The world is ravaged by dragons (think Reign of Fire) and everyman is out for themselves

42. Taken - Debra Lee

Pretty tame kidnapping story awful writing and I didn't get why everyone didn't know who dunnit as they say I certainly did after abou 5 pages but it was free!!!

43. Never Buried - Edie Claire

Not bad mystery tries hard to be funnier than it was but again the free sign kept me from totally regretting buying it.

44. Blood Bound - Rachel Vincent

I have to confess I was a little dissapointed with this offering from rachel Vincent having enjoyed her Pride books but it was too chaotic and a mish mash of thijngs happening to quicly. I may try and read then next one as I hate to give up too soon.

45. Chaotic (novella) Kelley Armstrong

actually I am pretty sure I had read this before but I love Kelley Armstrong so no harm done. The meeting of Hope adams and Karl

46. industrial magic - kelley Armstrong

A reread for me

47. Sweetly - Jackson Pearce

odd twisted verison of Hansel and Gretel for grown ups. Enjoyed the read though.

48. The Histroy Keepers - Damian Dibben.

Childrens book not bad boy discovers he has powers to travle thorugh time in his family, goes to rescue parents trapped in the past kind of thing.

Have you read all of those books in February Pickle? .. goodness!! .. you're a machine :D

Looking back at your reviews, I agree about Artemis Fowl .. great set of books. I haven't read all of them either but the ones I've read have been great. You've reminded me to pick them up again. Btw Pickle .. help me out .. are they fantasy or sci-fi? .. I never know.

Agatha Raisin?? I've been wondering whether to read that series for ages ... but there's so many of them. I love the covers .. which shouldn't be a factor but is :D Are they worth embarking on Pickle? .. certainly from your review the answer's yes .. how will I find room for them? (don't say Kindle .. I'll cry :D)

I have Poppy its been a long month despite being the shortest month of the year my excuse being nothing on tv grabs me and I live on my own as well as the holiday of course.

Artemis Fowl is hard to put into either category by strict definition its both with elements of Sci fi and elements of fantasy not to worry they are good books the first one I read was a graphic novel and great.

Agatha was great I have only read the first few I think its Chesil who has read most of them. they were what I would call very british and funny though .

• 1 month later...

right March was obviously a month of pure escapism for me and as usual I have left it til the last minute to update my list so apologies as usual for the brief nature of the reviews, some because they were rubbish other because they are part of a series and I don't want to give too much away and some because there is not a lot to say about them really actually in part its also because I have done this list whilst at work and I should have been working :D . right hope this works

49 Scott Stanford & Stephen Trumble Dorothy: The Darker Side of OZ I have just started reading this one so far so twisted a weird and wonderful turn of the original Oz story creepy and fairly horrific not for the faint hearted

50 J D Tyler Savage Awakening: An Alpha Pack Novel 51 J D Tyler BLACK MAGIC: An Alpha Pack Novella I read the first one of this series some time ago and decided that it wasn't a top priority in my reading calendar but with nothing taking my fancy this week I decided to revisit. Humans turned to werewolves fairly standard stuff adult content but not gratuitous fighting evil great escapism

52 and 53 Jennifer Estep Touch of Frost: Mythos Academy Series, Book 1 Kiss of Frost: Mythos Academy Series, Book 2: I am a big fan of Jennifer Estep having read all of the elemental Assasins books to date (see below) this is a YA adult series she has written. Gwen is sent to Mythos Academy where all the other students are descendants of great warriors, she however has merely a gypsy gift for Psychoemetry (touching an object she sees its past) but its a greater gift than she is aware as a dark evil tries to rise again (I know I know they always do) Estep writes well, she is witty and funny and captures that teenage angst well.

54 H P Mallory Great Hexpectations,55 H P Mallory A Tale of Two Goblins 56 H P Mallory To Kill A Warlock 3 books in a row from the same author. Again it’s a paranormal series I was definitely in the mood to escape last month. As a fairy working for their equivalent to the Police its Dulcie's job to track illegal spells and possesions. Moments of funnny humour slightly marred by trying to hard to be like more popular authors of this genre still a good escapist read

57 Benedict Jacka Fated: An Alex Verus Novel Think of a British version of Jim Butchers Harry Dresden series the first one I am eagerly awaiting the second it should be good and hopefully not be too similar to Jim Butchers work.

58 Lara Adrian Darker After Midnight (Midnight Breed 10) Finally its over Lara Adrian has finished and reached the climax of the Midnight Breeds series, in a moment of weekness I wanted to see how it ended and of course it did with no deaths for the goodies and getting the girl. Still not a patch on others in this genre but not bad.

59 Karen Cantwell Foxy's Tale More funny humour from the author of the Barbara Marr series this one revolves around a southern belle here goth daughter and mysterious tennants in her house. Funny and lighthearted

60 P A Lupton Bound by Blood (The Garner Witch Series) Fairly forgetable book woan realises she has powers is in the FBI meets man who turns out to be fated one, she is descendant from long line of powerful witches and chased by the bad guys. Nothing very original in this at all.

61 Karen Cantwell It's a Dunder-Bull Wife Barbara Marr attempts to cook a christmas dinner with hilarious and disasterous results - short story

62 Maureen Johnson Shades of London (1) - The Name of the Star Thanks to Abby on FB for pointing me in this direction a YA novel of a girl who moves to the UK from Louisianna to a boarding school, after a near fatal accident she begins to experience odd things at the same time a Jack the Ripper wanna be (or is it) is terrorosing the neighbourhood (which happens to be the east End where the Boarding School is located) Great book though can't wait for the next in the series.

63 Stephanie Nelson Deceived (Book 2 in the Gwen Sparks Series) A bit silly paranormal book not much happens really vampires and witches this is the second in the series. It was relatively inexpensive hence my carrying on and the fact that the author leaves on cliff hangers which is a real pain.

64 Karen Cantwell The Chronicles of Marr-nia (Short Stories Starring Barbara Marr) Barbara Marr short stories. Funny!

65 Kay Hooper Illegal Possession I gave up on this shouldn't reall be on the list though I may go back and finish it. Supposedly a thriller but deadly dull to much unlikely romance shame really I liked the other book I read by Kay Hooper

66 Heather Hildenbrand DreamKiller, Book 1 and 2 (The Specials Series) Weird free short stories says book 1 and 2 but they can't have been more than 200 pages. Children in a orphanage with powers are they protected or are they being used.

67 Stephanie Nelson Craved (#1 in the Gwen Sparks Series) See above book 1 in the series.

68 Linda Winstead Jones Let Me Come In Oh yes a hostorical romance haven't had one of these in a long time, heaving bosoms and bodice ripping not as much as some I have read but still some there. Lighthearted and perfect escapism.

69 Linda Howard Prey Linda Howard has been a favourite of mine for some time Romantic Thrillers not the best but not bad either yes there is an inevitable happy ending but she doesn't shy away from the bloody stuff either not gratuitous but present.

70 Heather Hildenbrand Cold Blood (Book 2, Dirty Blood Series) 71 Heather Hildenbrand Dirty Blood I think these are probably YA novels young werewolves and hunters Tara is a mix of the two sworn enemies but will she be able to reconcile the two people as not all of either side are bad. The first book focusses on werewolves and her coming to terms with her hunter blood the second she is relocated to a private hunter school but trouble follows her and her 'dirty ' half breed blood brings more enemies than friends.

72 Kelley Armstrong Dead To Me, A Trio of Chilling Tales 73 Kelley Armstrong Hunting Kat Two short novellas from Kelley Armstrong - Hunting Kat an Otherworld novel and the Trio of chilling tales horror storeis. 74 Kim Harrison A Perfect Blood: The Hollows Series, Book 10 Book 10 in the series, Rachel has had her powers bound and no longer has status. I won't say too much about it as I know Chesil is working her way through the series but it is a good one, and I enjoy the books.

75 Jennifer Estep Thread of Death and 76 Jennifer Estep By a Thread (Elemental Assassin) More from the Elememental Assasins books love em hope they continue with far more Gin Blanco is a great character not soft and gooey she genuinely suffers doesn't cave at the sight of a man but kicks them normally

77 Thea Harrison Oracle's Moon (Elder Races Series) Not the best in this series but not terribe either in this recently appointed Oracle comes into her powers with the aid of the Djin

78 Patricia Briggs Fair Game: An Alpha and Omega novel The spin off series from the Mercy Thompson is just as good. Mercy's pack brother and his mate the Omega are drafted in the help investigate a series of brutal crimes.

79 Nalini Singh Archangel's Consort (GUILD HUNTER NOVEL) I am still not sure I like the Archangel series by Nalini Singh its not as good as the Psychangeling one. The Angels are just too remote and weird.

80 Jennifer Estep A Karma Girl Christmas (Bigtime superhero series, short story) Great Series of lighthearted super power stories from Jennifer Estep.

81 Karen Cantwell Silenced by the Yams (A Barbara Marr Murder Mystery #3) and 82 Karen Cantwell Citizen Insane (A Barbara Marr Murder Mystery #2) More funny humour in this series of the soccer mum who gets herself into all sorts of situations trying to investigate crimes.

83 Nicole Peeler Eye Of The Tempest: Jane True series: Book Four The latest instalment of the Jane True series great loved it.

Edited by pickle