LauraLoves Reads 2012

lauraloves

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right thats all my posts done now, I just need to go back and edit a few of them, but apart from that I'm all done :)

some reading goals

• Do NOT go mad on buying books on Kindle, they still cost money, and bank will not thank you later.
  • Buy only the first book in a series, not the whole lot.
  • Think carefully before adding a book to wishlist, its already huge and will take you YEARS! to get through as it is.
  • Try to remember books already owned so you don't go out and buy yet another copy.
  • Try more genres, you might surprise yourself!

If any of you lovely folks would like to post now you can do, the thread is now open! hehe!

Well, two days into having a Kindle and I've already downloaded about 20 books! The 12 days of Kindle is not helping hehe!

Just been looking at the 12 days of Kindle sale and I'm having a very difficult battle with myself to not make purchases.. :lol:

I keep going back and looking at some of them, but I'm also trying not to start, cos once I start I doubt ill be able to stop buying :P

It's frustrating how little will-power I know I have. :lol:

Anyway, impressive looking lists/challenges and I wish you the best of luck with your 2012 reading. I look forward to reading your thoughts. :friends3:

It's frustrating how little will-power I know I have. :lol:

Anyway, impressive looking lists/challenges and I wish you the best of luck with your 2012 reading. I look forward to reading your thoughts. :friends3:

hehe, what books are standing out for you on the 12 days of Kindle, I'm getting a little overwhelmed with them all, and its only on day three!

Thanks :) I look forward to reading your thoughts on books, you always seem to read really good books! :friends3:

hehe, what books are standing out for you on the 12 days of Kindle, I'm getting a little overwhelmed with them all, and its only on day three!

But your bank manager shouldn't get too upset - I've only spent £6, but bought 5 books.

But your bank manager shouldn't get too upset - I've only spent £6, but bought 5 books.

Yep same with me, have only paid for 1 book out of 14 :) the problem is staying away from all non free books!

Happy new thread Laura :)

The Girl Who Couldn't Say No: Memoir of a Teenage Mom - Tracy Engelbrecht

41aGO2awqPL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-47,22_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Started - 1/1/12

Finished - 1/1/12

Format - Kindle

Synopsis - A sharp, occasionally shocking, memoir that will change how you look at young, single mothers, The girl who couldn't say no is also an amusing look at dating as a single twenty-something with a teenager and a toddler! The author tells the story of how she came to find herself pregnant at 15 and how she coped with pregnancy, birth and homework. And, perhaps surprisingly, it's not all a complete disaster. From the realities of teenage parenthood, the pitfalls of dating, family, work and a five year celibacy, Tracy has covered a lot of ground - and is proud of it. But mostly she is proud of her two healthy, well-adjusted and happy children.

My Thoughts - I downloaded this book because it was on the free side of the kindle top 20. This is seriously good. I've read a few real life teenage mum stories but this one was by far the best. There was no glossing over the finer points with being a young teenage mum, like the back stabbling of friends, the fact that people don't want to know you, The fac that yes, being in labour hurts, and its not altogether easy.. It also shows the good parts and how rewarding it can be.

Its not an altogether long book, but I don't think it needs to be. It was funny in places, very honest too and very entertaining.

This is another really good free book for the kindle, highly recommended by me.

Rating - 4/5

The Further Adventures of a London Call Girl - Belle De Jour

9780753821602_PI.jpg

Started - 28/12/11

Finished - 4/1/12

Format - Paperback

Synopsis - ''She lists like Hornby. She talks dirty like Amis. She has the misanthropy of Larkin and examines the finer points of sexual technique as she is adjusting the torque on a beloved but temperamental old E-type...It's hard to believe that this clever and candid new voice has no more to say. Whoever the author is, she should give up the day job. Only then will we find out what the real Belle de Jour is made of.' Independent This follow-up to the hugely successful 'Intimate Adventures' will be just as bold, funny and brilliant. Peppered with agony-aunt letters and advice, and stories from her 'working' life, it's also the story of a young woman making her way in the world - told in Belle's inimitable voice.

My Thoughts - I read the first book in the series a couple of years ago and have only just got around to the second in the series. I first came across this series when Billir Piper starred as Belle in the TV serial of the same name. As a teenage girl, I found the TV series very fascinating, and quite an eye opener. I then discovered that it was a book and went out and brought it, I read it and it was fabulous. This book is exactly the same.

The best way I can discribe this book is an ex-rated Bridget Jones. It should come with a warning, so not leave this book laying around, parts of it are seriously rude, and quite shocking too. But in quite a good way. It is such an honest book too, parts of it read exactly like real life, but many people would probably not voice such a x-rated subject matter so easily.

I liked how it read as a diary, and this broke the book up a little bit, it made quite a nice change to just straight literature. I also liked the ask belle section at the end of every month, some of these points made me laugh out loud.

This is a very good book, but I wouldnt recommend reading it if you are easily shocked, or of a sensative nature. However if you like a giggle, and are quite open to the more adult genre, then give this a read, you wont regret it.

Rating - 4/5

What a fabulously well-organised blog. And what a lot of challenges. Phew!

Famous Five Books

I absolutly adore the Famous Five Books and used to own most of them. Unfortunately, I lost a lot of them in a house move, so I'm trying to read/collect them again.

I had them all as a child too, but gave them away to the daughter of one of my Mum's work colleagues - it seemed like a good idea at the time! Long before I discovered BCF I managed to replace (via charity shop) and re-read them all - although dated I really enjoyed them and they took me right back! Good luck.

Happy reading in 2012. :)

What a fabulously well-organised blog. And what a lot of challenges. Phew!

I had them all as a child too, but gave them away to the daughter of one of my Mum's work colleagues - it seemed like a good idea at the time! Long before I discovered BCF I managed to replace (via charity shop) and re-read them all - although dated I really enjoyed them and they took me right back! Good luck.

Happy reading in 2012. :)

Thanks its took me a while to get it all organised, but I'm all sorted now . . . I think.

Thanks, I had most of them, but they got lost in a house move, I really do want them all again.

Happy reading to you too in 2012 :D

I kind of went mad downloading Kindle freebies at the weekend, I'm not sure if they are all still free though!

I Want it Now! A Memoir of Life on the Set of Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory Julie Dawn Cole

One O'clock Jump: a swing town mystery for the young at heart (Dorie Lennox Mystery Series) - Lisa McClendon

Sweet and Lowdown: a swing town mystery for the young at heart (Dorie Lennox Mysteries) - Lisa McClendon

Pirates of Savannah: Book One, Sold in Savannah (Pirates of Savannah (Young Adult Version) Tarrin P. Lupo

Pirates of Savannah: Book Two, Battle Rats - Young Adult Teen Historical Fiction Action Adventure (Pirates of Savannah (Young Adult Version)Tarrin P. Lupo

Pirates of Savannah: Book Three, The Rise of April - Young Adult Teen Historical Fiction Action Adventure (Pirates of Savannah (Young Adult Version) Tarrin P. Lupo

Out of Time Deborah Truscott

NOTHING BUT THE TRUTH (A Policeman's Tale) John Bates

Awesome lists you got there :) Have fun reading in 2012 :)

thanks :) its growing by the day :) happy reading to you too in 2012 :)

Two more freebie books . . . oops

Confessions of a Stay at home Mom - Tamara Hancock

The Falcon Dirk - Clark G. Vanderpool

I kind of went mad downloading Kindle freebies at the weekend, I'm not sure if they are all still free though!

I Want it Now! A Memoir of Life on the Set of Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory Julie Dawn Cole

This is a book I have to get my hands on as 'Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory' was one of my favourite films as child. Great choice!

It's a Kind of Magic - Carole Matthews

its-a-kind-of-magic-carole-matthews.jpg

Started - 4/1/2012

Finished - 13/1/2012

Format - Paperback

Synopsis - When Emma’s boyfriend Leo turns up at her special birthday dinner unforgivably late and horribly drunk, embarrassing her in front of her family, she decides enough is enough. Why can’t someone just wave a magic wand over him and bring him back refurbished as a proper boyfriend and save her the trouble? But when Leo meets Isabel and starts changing before her very eyes, Emma realises she should be careful what she wishes for...

My Thoughts - Carole Matthews is fast becoming one of my favourite chick lit authors. Her books are always very good, funny and hook you in. This book was like that, however, the difference is this one actually has a great big dose of magic stuffed in the pages. This is actually my favourite book by this author I have read, so far.

This book centres on Emma and Leo, two people that are destined to be together, but just cannot see it themselves. Then you throw in the mysterious Isobel and it is a recipe for a disaster in some ways. There is an awful lot of two-ing and fro-ing between the two main characters and at times I just wanted to scream at them to get it together and stop being so silly! It was a brilliant read, the chick lit with the fantasy aspect thrown in was a brilliant twist and I really enjoyed reading this book.

I have several other books by this author on my TBR pile and I can't wait to get around to reading them, a brilliant book for any chick lit lover. A very easy read, something to escape into.

Rating - 4/5

This one sounds fascinating, I await your thoughts!