LauraLoves Reads 2012

lauraloves

The Mind Readers - Lori Brighton

mind-readers.jpg?w=214

Started - 15/10/12

Finished - 21/10/12

Format - Kindle e-book

Synopsis - Cameron Winters is a freak. Fortunately, no one but her family knows the truth …that Cameron can read minds. For years Cameron has hidden behind a facade of normalcy, warned that there are those who would do her harm. When gorgeous and mysterious Lewis Douglas arrives he destroys everything Cameron has ever believed and tempts her with possibilities of freedom. Determined to embrace her hidden talents, Cameron heads to a secret haven with Lewis; a place where she meets others like her, Mind Readers.

But as Cameron soon finds out some things are too good to be true. When the Mind Readers realize the extent of Cameron’s abilities, they want to use her powers for their own needs. Cameron suddenly finds herself involved in a war in which her idea of what is right and wrong is greatly tested. In the end she’ll be forced to make a choice that will not only threaten her relationship with Lewis, but her very life.

My Thoughts - I downloaded this book back in January as it was free on Amazon. I've just had another look and at the minute its still free.

This book is about a teenage girl called Cameron who has the ability to read other peoples minds. Along with her Grandma who also has the ability they keep having to move around in order to keep away from those that want to do people like them harm.

Then one day a new student starts at the school, Lewis, and as soon as he does Cameron seems drawn to him. She even wonders if he is like her and can read minds too. The two of them end up on an Island and its here that Cameron starts to question everything that she has ever known. Who can she trust and is her life in danger due to her powers.

I really enjoyed this Young Adult Paranormal Romance. Although there is a lot of books on the market now probably down to the success of Twilight this one was very good. To start with there was no mention of werewolves or vampires, something that i think has been overdone. Also the female lead character was very stong willed and a very good strong character.

The plot to this book was very good too. It was fast paced and full of twists and turns that kept me guessing until the end. It was very well explained too.

The romance side of it was good too and although it was in there it wasnt too much and it didnt take it away from the actual story. I'm not a massive fan of romance novels and this can put me off in a book, but i really enjoyed this book!

There is two more books in this series so far, The Mind Thieves and also The Mind Games and i will be downloading the next book in the series a bit later on today.

This is a very good Young Adult Paranormal Romance book, if thats your sort of thing download it, its still free at the minute!

Rating - 4/5

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Casual Vacancy - J. K. Rowling

200px-The_Casual_Vacancy.jpg

Started - 21/10/12

Finished - 27/10/12

Format - Hardback Book

Synopsis - When Barry Fairbrother dies in his early forties, the town of Pagford is left in shock.

Pagford is, seemingly, an English idyll, with a cobbled market square and an ancient abbey, but what lies behind the pretty facade is a town at war.

Rich at war with poor, teenagers at war with their parents, wives at war with their husbands, teachers at war with their pupils... Pagford is not what it first seems.

And the empty seat left by Barry on the parish council soon becomes the catalyst for the biggest war the town has yet seen. Who will triumph in an election fraught with passion, duplicity and unexpected revelations?

A big novel about a small town, The Casual Vacancy is J.K. Rowling's first novel for adults. It is the work of a storyteller like no other.

My Thoughts - I have been looking forward to reading this book since it was announced earlier this year. J. K. Rowling is my favourite author of all time and I was so excited that she was going to release another book.

T

Thi

This book is about a small town called Pagford and the people that live there. It is a simple English town or villiage and it really made me feel like it could have been set anywhere. To me it really made me think that this town was a very similar place to where i live now.

There are a lot of characters in this book and it did confuse me a little bit because i couldnt always remember who was who to start with but towards the middle i had managed to get this through my head. I did like how the different characters had different chapters and by doing this the reader was able to grasp there thoughts and feelings which for me was a good thing. I love books that read like this.

I know that this book is a book for adults but even so it does have themes about prostitution, bribery, violience, drugs and all things like that. I think that it worked within this book and it wasnt too over the top and i think it actually added to the theme of the book, that a lot of things go one behind closed doors that others do not know about.

The ending of this book was so sad and i had to read a couple of pages a few times to make sure i was reading it right. It actually made me cry a little bit and this is quite unusual for me with a book, it does only happen once in a while.

I have read a few reviews that have said that this book is not Harry Potter. No its not Harry Potter, its a completely different book and to be honest im very pleased that she has written something very different. It just shows that she is a very talented author and i throughly have enjoyed ALL of her books!

Rating - 5/5

The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein

41OR09uceBL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-63,22_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Started - 27/10/12

Finished - 4/11/12

Format - Kindle e-book

Synopsis - A heart-warming and inspirational tale in which Enzo, a loyal family dog, tells the story of his human family, how they nearly fell apart, and what he did to bring them back together.

Enzo knows he is different from other dogs: he thinks and feels in nearly human ways. He has educated himself by watching extensive television, and by listening very closely to the words of his master, Denny Swift, an up-and-coming race car driver. Through Denny, Enzo realizes that racing is a metaphor: that by applying the techniques a driver would apply on the race track, one can successfully navigate the ordeals and travails one encounters in life.

Enzo relates the story of his human family, sharing their tragedies and triumphs. In the end, despite what he sees as his own limitations as a dog, Enzo comes through heroically to preserve the Swift family.

The Art of Racing in the Rain is a testament to a man's life, given by his dog. But it is also a testament to the dog, himself. Though Enzo cannot speak, he understands everything that happens around him as he bears witness to his master's problems. His enforced muteness only refines his listening ability, and allows him to understand many of life's nuances that are lost on most humans. With humour, sharp observation, and a courageous heart, Enzo guides the reader to the bittersweet yet ultimately satisfying conclusion: there are no limitations to what we can achieve, if we truly know where we want to be.

My Thoughts - I read this book as it was the choice for the November reading circle over on the BCF. I always enjoy animal books and i thought that this sort of book would be one that i would enjoy.

This book is about the loyal family dog, Enzo, who to start with lives with his master Denny. Then Denny falls in love and meets Eve. Although to start with Enzo feels a bit jelous of Eve and the relationship that she has with Denny, he soon comes to love her as part of the family. Denny and Eve have a child called Zoe and with this there family is complete. However, a horrible twist happens and Eve becomes very ill. All of this is told through the perspective of Enzo the dog.

I do always wonder if animals know what is going on around them and have human like thoughts. I'd love it if my dogs could talk as i think that they could come out with some very interesting stuff.

I really liked how the racing theme was weaved in and out of the book and how this took on a greater meaning throughout. Like when denny was struggling with life it was brought up that although a race cannot be won at the first corner it is able to be lost, so its up to a persons strength to get through it all.

I also liked how real life events were put into this book and were accuarate, like the cememtary scene where Bruce Lee and Brandon Lee was discussed. I did actually look this up on the internet to see if it was true and guess what it was! Also along with the racing theme Senna was mentioned about his horriffic crash and death that he suffered.

Now i loved Enzo. He really reminded me of my very old Labrodor Sammy that we have now and the parts about his legs and hips did upset me a little bit. my dog has got to the stage where he cannot stand for long now or go for walks. The ending of this book really did make me cry, I'm such a softie with the animal books and to be honest i dont like it when upsetting things happen to animals.

This book was very good i think a must read for animal lovers even if it is a bit sad in places.

Rating - 4/5

• 2 weeks later...

Trixie Trader - Helen Dunne

ml7GxKB87kCagrO353h3EJQ.jpg

Started - 4/11/12

Finished - 13/11/12

Format - Paperback Book

Synopsis - When City banker Trixie is told by her boss that she's had one long lunch too many and that she has six weeks to hook a serious deal or she's out on the street, she knows that it's time to roll up those sleeves on her little Armani suit and get to work. Ruthless tactics are required, especially if she's not to be sidetracked by her divine new colleague in sales, the adorably Irish Ciaran. Trixie rallies her troops, led by her friends Julie and Bloodhound, and a deal is sighted. Only trouble is,Trixie may have to compromise herself in unspeakable ways to get it. Locale: The City of London & chic, trendy Central London.

My Thoughts - I've had this book on my shelf since 2010 when i went through a massive chick lit phase. Nowadays im not too keen on this genre but i will still read it occasionally.

This book is about Trixie who works in the city as something to do with banking. She likes to spend her money more than work and she doesnt really put all that much effort into her work since splitting up with her ex, Sam, who also works in banking. Trixie is given an ultimatium, either bring some money into the bank or loose her job. Trixie then tries to bring money in and along the way encounters dinner parties, trips to new york, a new love interest and an old love interest.

I couldnt really warm to the character of Trixie, i found her very hard and the fact that she was only out to look out for number one and wasnt really bothered on who she hurt on the way as long as she was ok. I did also figure out who lily was and i felt that this was quite a mean thing to do.

This book is quite a short read, a little over 200 pages and would be ok for reading on a beach or something like that but i dont think it would be one that i would read again.

Rating - 3/5

• 2 weeks later...

The Marlowe Conspiracy - M. G. Scarsbrook

Started - 13/11/12

Finished - 27/11/12

Format - Kindle e-book

Synopsis - 1593, Elizabethan England: In a turbulent time of wars, famine, and religious persecution, Christopher Marlowe struggles to balance his life as England's most popular playwright with his duties as a government spy.

Suddenly, when he falls under suspicion of atheism, a capital crime, Marlowe fears his many powerful enemies have launched a conspiracy to have him executed.

With only a few days to clear his name, he quickly enlists the aid of a young William Shakespeare - one of the few friends he can still trust. Together, they race through Marlowe's tangled life of crime, espionage, and noble connections to expose the conspiracy and save him from the hangman's noose.

My thoughts - I downloaded this book on my kindle earlier in the year as I love Shakespeare and as he appears in this work of fiction I thought this would be a good book to read.

Although Shakespeare appears in this book it's more about Christopher 'Kit' Marlowe and his life as a playwright and also as a spy for the Queen. I wasn't overly familiar with him before I read this book but as I was reading it I was researching him and others in the book.

Sometimes I find it quite difficult to read about real people in fiction but this book was very well done and I really enjoyed it.

This book was very good and had many twists and turns in the plot. I did enjoy reading this book however as I was ill while reading this book it kind of put me off a little although this should be no reflection on the book itself.

I think many people will enjoy reading this book especially fans of the time period of Elizabeth I and those that are interested in reading about real life people in fiction.

Rating - 3.5/5

• 2 weeks later...

The Devil Wears Prada - Lauren Weisberger

devil-wears-prada-lauren-weisberger-paperback-cover-art.jpg

Started - 27/11/12

Finished - 5/12/12

Format - Paperback Book

Synopsis - Andrea Sachs, a small-town girl fresh out of college, lands the job “a million girls would die for.” Hired as the assistant to Miranda Priestly, the high-profile, fabulously successful editor of Runway magazine, Andrea finds herself in an office that shouts Prada! Armani! Versace! at every turn, a world populated by impossibly thin, heart-wrenchingly stylish women and beautiful men clad in fine-ribbed turtlenecks and tight leather pants that show off their lifelong dedication to the gym. With breathtaking ease, Miranda can turn each and every one of these hip sophisticates into a scared, whimpering child.

THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA gives a rich and hilarious new meaning to complaints about “The Boss from Hell.” Narrated in Andrea’s smart, refreshingly disarming voice, it traces a deep, dark, devilish view of life at the top only hinted at in gossip columns and over Cosmopolitans at the trendiest cocktail parties. From sending the latest, not-yet-in-stores Harry Potter to Miranda’s children in Paris by private jet, to locating an unnamed antique store where Miranda had at some point admired a vintage dresser, to serving lattes to Miranda at precisely the piping hot temperature she prefers, Andrea is sorely tested each and every day—and often late into the night with orders barked over the phone. She puts up with it all by keeping her eyes on the prize: a recommendation from Miranda that will get Andrea a top job at any magazine of her choosing. As things escalate from the merely unacceptable to the downright outrageous, however, Andrea begins to realize that the job a million girls would die for may just kill her. And even if she survives, she has to decide whether or not the job is worth the price of her soul

My Thoughts - This book has been on my shelf for far too long and its one of those books that ive wanted to read for a long time but never got around to reading.

This book is about Andrea, fresh out of school and looking for a job. She isnt too sure where she wants to go with her life. She lands an interview at Runway magazine, which I'm sure somewhere i read that is loosely based on Vogue! Its here that she encounters Miranda, someone that she doesnt know who she is, which really shocks everyone present and manages to get the job as PA. Its now that her life changes. Miranda wants Andrea to be at her beck and call 24/7 with any number of requests, whether it be getting the new unreleased Harry Potter book for her twin daughters the day before its released or doing the dry cleaning or going to fashion shows in Paris.

I got hooked into this book almost as soon as i read the first few pages. It is very well written and has a very engaging storyline. I think why i enjoyed this book so much is that my boss is literally like the male version of Miranda with unreasonable demands and expecting me to be able to do them at once. I did have to giggle at the part with the dry cleaning as thats the sort of thing that happens to me on a regular basis.

I did feel very sorry for Andrea. She had just got her first proper job and trying to make her way in the world and managed to get the job from hell and in the process almost loose everyone close to her.

This book is very good and very funny. Although it could be classed as chick lit i do think it will appeal to a much wider audience and i would recommend it to anyone!

Rating - 4/5

I remember enjoying The Devil Wears Prada too, Laura. I read it before I saw the film version, and although I love the film version (Anne Hathaway, Emily Blunt and Meryl Streep - what's not to love!), I actually thought the book was less chicklit-y, sharper and more vicious than the film.

I remember enjoying The Devil Wears Prada too, Laura. I read it before I saw the film version, and although I love the film version (Anne Hathaway, Emily Blunt and Meryl Streep - what's not to love!), I actually thought the book was less chicklit-y, sharper and more vicious than the film.

I havent seen the film yet as i wanted to read the book first but i have heard that its good ill have to keep a look out for it now!

The Vanishing Act - Mette Jakobsen

remote_image_1ca9bcc1f9.jpg

Started - 5/12/12

Finished 11/12/12

Format - Paperback book

Synopsis - This is a story about a snow-covered island you won't find on any map.

It's the story of a girl, Minou. A year ago, her mother walked out into the rain and never came back.

It's about a magician and a priest and a dog called No Name. It's about a father's endless hunt for the truth.

It's about a dead boy who listens, and Minou's search for her mother's voice.

It's a story of how even the most isolated places have their own secrets.

It's a story you will never forget.

My Thoughts - This book was picked for the December reading circle and although i hadnt heard of it before i ended up really enjoying it.

This book is about a girl called Minou who lives on a tiny little island in the middle of nowhere. Hardly anyone knows of the island and they never get visitors. Minou lives with her father, who is mourning the loss of his wife that walked out on him one day.

One morning the body of a boy washes up on the beach and this changes the whole perpective of everyone that lives on the island. There is also Magician and Priest that live on the island and a dog called No Name. Its a very lonely place the island and i can understand why Minou's mother wanted to leave and why she wasnt happy with her life.

The book is written quite poetically and it really drew me in with the writing style. I really liked the chaacter of Minou probably because she was the only character in the book with a proper name. I read the majority of this book in one sitting as i wanted to know what was going to happen and what all the answers were going to be.

This book is an enjoyable read, highly recommended.

Rating - 4/5

Cold April - Phyllis A. Humphrey

coldapril.jpg

Started - 11/12/12

Finished 15/12/12

Format - Kindle e-book

Synopsis - Fresh from three years in America, Englishwoman Elizabeth Shallcross has big plans for her future, and they do not include remaining in England as a lowly governess. She finds, however, that she has one last obligation to fulfill; she must accompany Richard Graham, a dashing American widower, and care for his charming child on a luxurious voyage to America. Their ship? The Titanic. On this fateful trip two handsome men vie for her attention. But when the ship hits an iceberg, who will survive?

My Thoughts - I downloaded this book as it was free for a day on amazon and as i am quite fascinated by the Titanic and all its happenings i thought that this woud be a good book to read.

Elizabeth, or Miss Beth is a governess who has recently returned from living and working in America for three years. She longs to go back and begin a career as a typist but before she can do this she is asked by her previous employers to be a governess for a friend of the family. She agrees, but only for the crossing between England and America and until someone else suitable can be found.

The man in question is Richard Graham, an American gentleman who sadly lost his wife a few years ago and left his daugher without a mother. Beth hits it off with him almost at once and the class barrier seems to fade away between them.

They board the ill fated Titanic and its here that the two characters really seem to start getting to know each other. I did like how some parts of the book were told from Richards point of view and it explained how he was feeling and i felt it added more depth to the book.

Beth also meets another man, Harry, who is a magican and an acrobat who entertains the children on the ship. Harry seems very smitten with Beth and although Beth doesnt really feel the same she sees him as a good friend.

I liked how the main facts of the actual event were put into the story. For example the fact that there werent enough lifeboats and this was a well known fact. As the Titanic was supposedly an unsinkable ship the makers didnt see the need for lifeboats to be made available.

Once the iceberg stuck i liked how many people didnt think the ship could sink so they werent too bothered about getting up on deck or getting into a lifeboat to start with. I liked how the story of Elizabeth and Richard was weaved around the iceburg.

I ended up shedding a tear at the end of the book as so many people lost there lives on this ship. It was an event that could have not maybe been avoided but if more lifeboats were on board more people could have been saved. I would be interested in reading more about the Titanic event itself now.

This is not a massive book, i read the majority of it in one sitting and it has a lot of information in it about the real life event. I did think that i woud have liked to read more about the characters after the actual event but that was just a personal thing. I did really enjoy this book though.

Rating - 4/5

• 3 weeks later...

Fifty Shades of Grey - E. L. James

t10_racy_grey.jpg

Started - 25/12/12

Finished - 30/12/12

Format - Kindle e-book

Synopsis - Romantic, liberating and totally addictive, Fifty Shades of Grey is a novel that will obsess you, possess you, and stay with you for ever.

When literature student Anastasia Steele interviews successful entrepreneur Christian Grey, she finds him very attractive and deeply intimidating. Convinced that their meeting went badly, she tries to put him out of her mind - until he turns up at the store where she works part-time, and invites her out.

Unworldly and innocent, Ana is shocked to find she wants this man. And, when he warns her to keep her distance, it only makes her want him more.

But Grey is tormented by inner demons, and consumed by the need to control. As they embark on a passionate love affair, Ana discovers more about her own desires, as well as the dark secrets Grey keeps hidden away from public view .

My Thoughts - This is a book that has caused so much talk in the book world over the past year. So many people are picking it up, for some its the first book they have read in years for some its another on the endless list of books. I have been debating reading this book series for months and

then my other half brought me them for Christmas i knew i had to start reading them if only if it was to see what the fuss is all about.

This book is about the very innocent Ana Steel and Christian Grey who meet for the first time and end up having an interview together. I dont really need to go into too much detail about what the books are about as I'm sure the world knows what they are about by now.

I did really enjoy this book. Although some parts are very raunchy and i would most definitaly not give this book to my nan i did think that it was quite well done and i did enjoy the story line to this book. Now while its not going to be the best work of fiction but the story is very enjoyable.

I do have the other two books on my ipad to read and I'm already a third of the way through the next book.

Rating - 4/5