LauraLoves Reads 2012

lauraloves

OMG what a mammoth amount of mammoth length lists :D You are my idol! :thud: Happy reading in 2012, Laura :friends3:

They are not at all as good as yours and Kylies :) I've tried to make a bit of an effort with them this year :) Happy reading to you too :)

This one sounds fascinating, I await your thoughts!

I can't wait to get around to it, hopefully it will be good :)

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few more freebies again, oops!

The Firestone Crystal - Linda David. (Fantasy) This has gone back up to full price now.

The Briton and the Dane: Birthright - Mary Ann Bernal (Historical Fiction)

Joanna's Day (Joanna in Time) - Toni and Stephen Downs (Young Adult)

Sin and Sacrifice (The Daughters of Eve #1) - Danielle Bourdon (Historical Fiction)

Templars Creed (The Daughters of Eve #2) - Danielle Bourdon (Historical Fiction)

The Seven Seals (The Daughters of Eve #3) - Danielle Bourdon (Historical Fiction)

A Flicker of Light - Roberta Kagan (Romance/ WW2 Fiction)

Hell of a Salesman - Timothy Brooks (Non Fiction, Memoir) I work in a telesales environment (I'm an admin, not one of the sales :P but this really jumped out at me)

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

516Hw8yrN2L._SL500_AA266_PIkin3BottomRight-1734_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Started - 1/1/2012

Finished - 18/1/2012

Format - Kindle e-book

Challenges - 1001 Must Read Books

Synopsis - Amid the foggy streets of sinister London and the even more sinister countryside, Holmes and Watson once more solve the unsolvable. This book is a collection of stories, including -A Scandal in Bohemia, A Case of Identity, The Red-Headed League ,The Boscombe Valley Mystery.

My Thoughts - I downloaded this book for my Kindle the day I got it because at the time it was the top free book in the downloads, and it was a book that I have always wanted to read but never got around to it. I am so so so so glad that I downloaded it and read it because it is an amazing book. To start with I was a little bit worried that I might not be able to get into the book properly as it is a classic and that is something that I always struggle with, but this was not the case with this book. I really got into it from the start and couldnt put it down. I also liked the variety of the short stories. Some I guessed straight away what was going to happen, and others I really couldnt guess. I was hooked at finding out what had happened with the stories and really want to read more.

I think my favourite story from the lot was The Read-Headed League. This one really had an intricate plot and it kept me guessing until the very end. I also enjoyed the character of Holmes himself, and how extravigant he was.

I have a couple of negatives, but only small ones. The Knidle edition had a few typos and couldnt pick up some of the money symbols which was a bit puzzling at first until I worked it out what it was and I read this book out of sequence too. It doesnt matter from the book front, its just me, I like to read books in the order that they were written!

A brilliant book, highly recommended and I can't wait to read more!

Rating - 5/5

They are not at all as good as yours and Kylies :) I've tried to make a bit of an effort with them this year :) Happy reading to you too :)

I have no idea what you are talking about. I guess we need to pull out the measuring tapes! *wanders off to measure - yes, there are no clear winner here!*

A few more freebies again, oops!

The Firestone Crystal - Linda David. (Fantasy) This has gone back up to full price now.

The Briton and the Dane: Birthright - Mary Ann Bernal (Historical Fiction)

Joanna's Day (Joanna in Time) - Toni and Stephen Downs (Young Adult)

Sin and Sacrifice (The Daughters of Eve #1) - Danielle Bourdon (Historical Fiction)

Templars Creed (The Daughters of Eve #2) - Danielle Bourdon (Historical Fiction)

The Seven Seals (The Daughters of Eve #3) - Danielle Bourdon (Historical Fiction)

A Flicker of Light - Roberta Kagan (Romance/ WW2 Fiction)

Hell of a Salesman - Timothy Brooks (Non Fiction, Memoir) I work in a telesales environment (I'm an admin, not one of the sales :P but this really jumped out at me)

A great haul :D Bloody hell, how is it that so many Kindle books are free of charge? I don't understand this business. I'm starting to want one. And that would not be good for frankie, no'oh sirree.

I have no idea what you are talking about. I guess we need to pull out the measuring tapes! *wanders off to measure - yes, there are no clear winner here!*

A great haul :D Bloody hell, how is it that so many Kindle books are free of charge? I don't understand this business. I'm starting to want one. And that would not be good for frankie, no'oh sirree.

I think most of the free Kindle books are either classics or new author. The last could be to give them a chance or to look if they have one.

But I should warn you. It's an addiction to load down new Kindle books. No matter that your TBR is impossible high within a few days.

I think most of the free Kindle books are either classics or new author. The last could be to give them a chance or to look if they have one.

But I should warn you. It's an addiction to load down new Kindle books. No matter that your TBR is impossible high within a few days.

Yep, I figured most of them have to be classics, but it kinda doesn't make sense to me if a new author offers their books for free. Completely from a financial point-of-view. But things are different in the English speaking publishing business than, for example, the Finnish business.

And yep, I've heard/witnessed numerous people going totally bonkers when they and go and download so many freebies, they're mount TBR doubles in just a few days :D I'm not getting myself involved in all that for years, I tell you!

I kind of went mad downloading Kindle freebies at the weekend, I'm not sure if they are all still free though!

I Want it Now! A Memoir of Life on the Set of Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory Julie Dawn Cole

Speaking of 'I want it now', I really want this! I can't wait to hear your thoughts.

Crikey, what a lot of lists and challenges! Best of luck with them, Laura. :) You're going to have a cracking good year, I can tell.

hehe :) I kinda stole the idea from you and Kylie for the long reading lists, hope you don't mind :P

The only problem is there are too many free books if that makes sense, some are awful and you really have to wade through all the rubbish ones to get to the good if that makes sense. Its not good for the growth of my TBR pile, but it is good for my bank account! :D

It is an addiction, but I think there are far worse things to be addicted too hehe

Speaking of 'I want it now', I really want this! I can't wait to hear your thoughts.

Crikey, what a lot of lists and challenges! Best of luck with them, Laura. :) You're going to have a cracking good year, I can tell.

Thanks :) Keeping up with the upkeep is quite time consuming though hehe :) I can't wait to get around to that book either :)

I hope I have a good year, and the same to you too :D

hehe :) I kinda stole the idea from you and Kylie for the long reading lists, hope you don't mind :P

Oh don't mention it, what can we do, we share a love for long reading lists and we let it show :smile2: There's something very satisfying about crossing read books off TBR lists and challenge lists, aye? :giggle:

The only problem is there are too many free books if that makes sense, some are awful and you really have to wade through all the rubbish ones to get to the good if that makes sense. Its not good for the growth of my TBR pile, but it is good for my bank account! :D

I know exactly what you mean, I usually leave the good ones til the end and sometimes I feel like I can never get to them because I have so many 'lesser' ones to read first. :roll: Sometimes one just has to go for the book they crave for!

Oh don't mention it, what can we do, we share a love for long reading lists and we let it show :smile2: There's something very satisfying about crossing read books off TBR lists and challenge lists, aye? :giggle:

I know exactly what you mean, I usually leave the good ones til the end and sometimes I feel like I can never get to them because I have so many 'lesser' ones to read first. :roll: Sometimes one just has to go for the book they crave for!

There is definitaly something very satisfying about crossing books off, and also looking forward to reading a book because you have brought it for a challenge :) I do like looking at long lists too so I think thats a bit of an addiction too.

I do that too, as I know that I will be able to look forward to it and finish on a book that I will really enjoy. Although there is nothing more disapointing than looking forward to a book for ages and then it turns out to be rubbish!

Latest Kindle Freebies

Just A Kid: A Guard at the Nuremberg Trials - Emilio Dipalma (no longer free)

Marine At War - M. Michael (no longer free)

Before and Gone - J M Pierce (no longer free)

Magical Quotes and Words of Wisdom from Harry Potter - Samuel Penny

My House Looks Like a Fairytale Crime Scene - Ed Ergenzinger

Rosie's War - Rosemary Say

say.jpg

Started – 18/1/2012

Finished – 22/1/2012

Format – Kindle e-book

Synopsis – This is the extraordinary true story of a plucky young woman and her dramatic escape from a German-run internment camp in Occupied France. Written in Rosemary’s own words and completed by her daughter and son-in-law after her death, it includes photographs and documents from Rosie’s incredible journey. Rosie’s story moves from artistic circles in Avignon, through occupied Paris and the privations of prison camp, and across war-ravaged Europe. A tale of remarkable courage: not only of Rosie herself, but also of the many people who helped and harboured her at huge personal risk. Rosie’s story sheds light on the little-known story of the thousands of British women trapped in Occupied France. Moving, enthralling, and inspirational, ‘Rosie’s War’ is a book for all to enjoy.

My Thoughts- I brought this book as part of the 12 days of kindle sale as I thought that this would be the kind of book that I would enjoy. I was right, this book is fabulous. it tells the true story of Rosie, or Pat, and her journey through occupied France and escape back to England during the second world war. She is kept in a prison camp, her escape, her journey undercover through France and her treatment and life during this time.

This book was so good and at times I was struck with how it was a real life story and this actually happened. During this time she was only a year older with me and what struck me was her courage during her journey, I’m sure many people these days, me included, would have struggled and crumbled at the very first hurdle. It certainly made me realise, that yes I have bad days, but my life is not rubbish, I might have rubbish days but my life is certainly a lot easier than others.

What I also liked was the pictures and letters that were included, it gave such a sense of how real it was, and what it was like for others involved, like her family back in England. I liked how it went through all parts of the story, even the parts that werent nice, like the conditions of the prison camp.

This book is very good, a memoir of life in occupied France. If this is your cup of tea, give it a go, I promise you wont be disapointed.

Rating – 5/5

Caught in the Act - Gemma Fox

41JNV8J37QL.jpg

Started - 14/1/12

Finished - 24/1/12

Format - Paperback

Synopsis -

Who could resist the chance to go to their old school reunion? To find out who got on? Who got fat? Who got famous and who got off with who?

Carol French is lured by the promise of a get-together through oldschooltie.com, and it’s better than just old school friends – it’s the old sixth-form drama group that twenty years ago took ‘Macbeth’ on tour. A tour that was dramatic in more ways than one, and Carol has carried a torch for the leading actor ever since. Not that it has stopped her marrying, having kids, divorcing – but that memory just won’t go away. Now she is about to be brought face to face with the adolescent love god himself, except now he’s nearly forty…

My Thoughts - This book is about a high school reunion. Now firstly, I would hate to go back to school or have a reunion, because I hated school, or more specifically some of the people that I went to school with, they made my life hell and its not something that I would ever want to do again through choice,

Anyway, this book, is about a group of friends that get together again after several years, who all happen to be in a drama group. The book had a kind of sub plot, the putting together of the play Macbeth. As I am quite familuar with this play it did make this part a bit enjoyable.

However, the rest of the book was a little bit disapointing for me. I'm not sure if it was just me or not, but I just couldnt connect with the book and I found the plot slightly unbelievable. It was an alright, lighthearted read, but not something that will stay with me really.

Rating - 3/5

Things I Want My Daughters To Know - Elizabeth Noble

9780141030012.jpg

Started - 24/1/12

Finished - 27/1/12

Format - Paperback

Synopsis - 'My beautiful girls. If you've read this, you'll know it contains some - not all, but some - of the things I want my daughters to know. And the greatest of these is love ...'How would you say goodbye to those you love most in the world?Barbara must say a final farewell to her four daughters. But how can she find the words? And how can she leave them when they each have so much growing up to do? There's commitment-phobic Lisa. Brittle, unhappily married Jennifer. Free-spirited traveller Amanda. And teenage Hannah, stumbling her way towards adulthood.Barbara's answer is to write each daughter a letter, finally expressing the hopes, fears, dreams and secrets she couldn't always voice. These words will touch the girls in different - sometimes shocking - ways, unlocking emotions and passions to set them on their own journey of discovery through life.

My Thoughts - Wow, this book is such a tear jearker. I was in tears reading it within about 5 or 10 pages. It tells the story of a family who is devistated by cancer, and how it affects all the members of a family. The mother, who was dying of cancer wrote the four different daughters letters and this is told throughout the book.

These letters made me cry a lot. It made me realise that life is so precious, and also so short. You never know what be waiting round the corner for you, so live your life to the max.

The story was very easy to read and get into. I think this should go on my list of definitate books that you should read.

I can't actually say much more about this book, but it is very good.

Rating - 4/5

Latest Kindle books

The worlds most shocking ghost stories - Samie larcine

drI'ver do you stop at the station? james henry

starstruck - pat tucker

The queen bee of bridgeton - leslie dubois

g-sale randy largi

avery nolan private dick of the dead - tony faville

a girl child - donner nitz muller

what is it about yorkies? dr harry jay

The Golden Acorn - Catherine Cooper

the-golden-acorn.jpg

Started - 22/1/12

Finished - 4/2/12

Format - Kindle E-book

Synopsis - Jack Brenin's life changes the moment he finds a golden acorn lying in the grass. He gets caught up in an extraordinary magical adventure and enters a world he only believed existed in legend. He's sure he's been mistaken for someone else. He's neither brave nor strong so how could he possibly be 'The One' an ancient prophesy speaks about? He's no idea why he's expected to help, unsure if he wants to, or even if he can.

My Thoughts - I downloaded this book as part of the 12 days of Kindle sale over Christmas. This jumped out at me because I was after a fantasy book, that wasnt too out of the world, and I'm trying to read more books from the young adult genre.

This book centres on Jack, who has gone to live with his grandfather, following on from the death of his mother. Jack I feel is a typical childrens book character, young lost boy, no friends when he moves to a new area. A proficy has been made that a young boy will help to save a hidden magical race, that just happen to live near to Jacks Grandfather. We are introduced to Nora, who the locals see as a bit mad, but she is far from it, she is the one that leads Jack to this new magical world.

In this magical world their are lots of different characters, a talking raven, a dragon, shapeshifters, rats and man more. Although magic is portraid in this book, its not a huge prominace, as sometimes I feel that this can be linked too much to the Harry Potter series. Personally, I didnt think that this was the case. I felt that this was a lovely childrens book and I enjoyed reading it too.

The only let down for me was the ending felt a little bit rushed. Maybe the next book in the series, Glasruhen Gate, continues straight on from this book, which in my opinion would be a good thing because I'd like to see a bit more to this particular story.

I enjoyed reading this childrens book, and I am going to read the next one in the series soon, once I have downloaded it.

Rating - 4/5

Frozen In Time - Ali Sparkes

_47415078_ea0db729-752d-4c0a-8ff6-8786a670cf63.jpg

Started - 4/2/2012

Finished - 5/2/2012

Format - Kindle E-Book

Synopsis - 1956 Freddy and Polly have always known their father is a genius. So they've never minded helping him with his experiments. Even when that means being put into cryonic suspension-having their hearts frozen until their father wakes them up again. They know it will only be for an hour or two, so there's nothing to worry about... 2009 Ben and Rachel have resigned themselves to a long, boring summer. Then they find the hidden underground vault in the garden-and inside it two frozen figures, a boy and a girl. And as if that isn't spooky enough, when Rachel accidentally presses a button, something unbelievable happens... Can Polly and Freddy adapt to the twenty-first century? Will their bodies survive having been in suspension for so long? And most important of all, what happened to their father-and why did he leave them frozen in time?

My Thoughts - I brought this book as part of the 12 days of Kindle sale over Christmas because I thought it might be something that would appeal to me. I was right. This book is about two children who discover an underground room in there garden where they find two children (and a dog!) frozen in time. now to the good part, they have been there for over 50 years.

I found the parts where is discussed 1950's lifestyle, I thought that these parts really fascinating espcecially when you consider how much the world has changed in just 50 years. With things like the introduction of the internet and mobile technology, it must be a confusing world that we live in compared to just 50 years ago. I thought the author delt with these issues really well and solved them in depth, instead of glossing over them, which could have happened.

I also liked the intergration of the children into school, things have changed a lot even with schooling over the last 50 years and I thought that this was delt with well too.

The mystery about the father and why they were there was good too, and it got even more fast paced towards the end. It did keep me guessing, even as an older reader than prehaps the book was intended for. I really liked the ending too, I didnt expect that to happen!

The only thing I didnt like was the explanation of how the children's parents were absent for months at a time, I did think that this part was slightly unbelievable, but that was the only part that I didnt like of the book.

I read this book over the course of 24 hours. It was an easy read, one that I would recomend to anyone, younger or older readers alike.

Rating - 4/5

The Golden Acorn - Catherine Cooper

the-golden-acorn.jpg

Started - 22/1/12

Finished - 4/2/12

Format - Kindle E-book

Synopsis - Jack Brenin's life changes the moment he finds a golden acorn lying in the grass. He gets caught up in an extraordinary magical adventure and enters a world he only believed existed in legend. He's sure he's been mistaken for someone else. He's neither brave nor strong so how could he possibly be 'The One' an ancient prophesy speaks about? He's no idea why he's expected to help, unsure if he wants to, or even if he can.

My Thoughts - I downloaded this book as part of the 12 days of Kindle sale over Christmas. This jumped out at me because I was after a fantasy book, that wasnt too out of the world, and I'm trying to read more books from the young adult genre.

This book centres on Jack, who has gone to live with his grandfather, following on from the death of his mother. Jack I feel is a typical childrens book character, young lost boy, no friends when he moves to a new area. A proficy has been made that a young boy will help to save a hidden magical race, that just happen to live near to Jacks Grandfather. We are introduced to Nora, who the locals see as a bit mad, but she is far from it, she is the one that leads Jack to this new magical world.

In this magical world their are lots of different characters, a talking raven, a dragon, shapeshifters, rats and man more. Although magic is portraid in this book, its not a huge prominace, as sometimes I feel that this can be linked too much to the Harry Potter series. Personally, I didnt think that this was the case. I felt that this was a lovely childrens book and I enjoyed reading it too.

The only let down for me was the ending felt a little bit rushed. Maybe the next book in the series, Glasruhen Gate, continues straight on from this book, which in my opinion would be a good thing because I'd like to see a bit more to this particular story.

I enjoyed reading this childrens book, and I am going to read the next one in the series soon, once I have downloaded it.

Rating - 4/5

I saw this book in Waterstones today, it caught my eye but I wasnt sure if it was for young adult or children so I didnt bother reading the back! Maybe I'll check it out on amazon now

I saw this book in Waterstones today, it caught my eye but I wasnt sure if it was for young adult or children so I didnt bother reading the back! Maybe I'll check it out on amazon now

Its good, not too much of a childrens book, personally I'd say it was young adult :) but do check it out :)