The trouble with kindles...

vodkafan

OK for all the advantages of having a kindle there is one major huge disadvantage that can't ever happen with a book...sooner or later, the kindle will go wrong! Mine has just died on me 3 days after the warranty ran out. (At least I presume there is a 1 year warranty on it- haven't checked yet)

I have looked carefully at the comprehensive troubleshooting list on the kindle store but my fault is not on there. :irked: So I will be contacting kindle support today. I will let you all know how I get on.

Oh dear isn't that typical. But you may be surprised because Amazon are keen for our kindles to all work. A friend of mine had something go wrong after the warranty ran out (by quite a while) and she got a replacement. So fingers crossed you get one. I don't know where I'd be if I didn't have mine! :huh:

Oh dear isn't that typical. But you may be surprised because Amazon are keen for our kindles to all work. A friend of mine had something go wrong after the warranty ran out (by quite a while) and she got a replacement. So fingers crossed you get one. I don't know where I'd be if I didn't have mine! :huh:

Hi SueK this seems to be the case! I just talked to a nice man on the phone and he said they would repair it anyway without charging me. My fault seems to be a rare one I think my kindle has had a nervous breakdown from overuse :giggle2: Like combat stress or something.

VF

What was it doing ? Was it just plain not turning on, or doing something else freaky ?

I have a kindle that probably would have the opposite of your problem : lack of use .

I hate to say it,since I know so many people want one, or have one and love it,but I really just haven't had the connection with a kindle that I do with a book .

On the other hand, the one really good thing about a Kindle is that if you are dying to get a new book ,you can press a button and there it is on your Kindle,so that part is nice .

I'm not quite sure what it is. Maybe the pages,the smell of a book ,the feeling of a book in my hands?

The Kindle seems to be so impersonal,maybe ,for lack of a better term. I don't feel as connected with it as I do with a book .

It'd be kinda like having a crush on a PICTURE of George Clooney,rather than having him here in person . :D

Just not the same connection .

VF

What was it doing ? Was it just plain not turning on, or doing something else freaky ?

I have a kindle that probably would have the opposite of your problem : lack of use .

I hate to say it,since I know so many people want one, or have one and love it,but I really just haven't had the connection with a kindle that I do with a book .

On the other hand, the one really good thing about a Kindle is that if you are dying to get a new book ,you can press a button and there it is on your Kindle,so that part is nice .

I'm not quite sure what it is. Maybe the pages,the smell of a book ,the feeling of a book in my hands?

The Kindle seems to be so impersonal,maybe ,for lack of a better term. I don't feel as connected with it as I do with a book .

It'd be kinda like having a crush on a PICTURE of George Clooney,rather than having him here in person . :D

Just not the same connection .

The screen froze (with the picture on it) and it would not turn on when I flicked the switch. The battery was showing fully charged so it's not that. This happened intermittently at first, sometimes if I tried it later it would come on but would then do a total reset. Sometimes I could "trick " it into waking up by plugging it into the charger or into the laptop via the PC. Again, it would then do a total reset. But a day ago it died completely.

Hey VF, I'm glad that you've spoken to someone that is happy to help; it does seem that Amazon really are quite helpful when it comes to fixing faults or mishaps. Strange, because most companies would probably cheer the fact that it's thee days out of warranty. Hmm, my Kindle I've had just about a year now, let's hope a sudden technological disaster isn't afoot. In any case, hope you get your Kindle back fixed and ready to go soon VF, I know I'd struggle without mine.

Edited by Ben

VF did you get the extra warranty thing with it I thought mine was two years (will have to check it out)

I haven't really connected with mine either. I love being able to buy books just like that and I prefer holding it to a book but I feel like I am just reading little shots of it as you don't get many words on a screen compared to a double page spread (so to speak) :readingtwo:

VF did you get the extra warranty thing with it I thought mine was two years (will have to check it out)

I haven't really connected with mine either. I love being able to buy books just like that and I prefer holding it to a book but I feel like I am just reading little shots of it as you don't get many words on a screen compared to a double page spread (so to speak) :readingtwo:

Right Easy Reader

Good way of explaining it . I'm not quite sure how else to describe it ..I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who feels this way . Just something about books themselves ..

Right Easy Reader

Good way of explaining it . I'm not quite sure how else to describe it ..I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who feels this way . Just something about books themselves ..

I am glad you understood it I have just read it back and wasn't quite sure what I meant.

I think I may have misunderstood what the Amazon man was telling me on the phone. I looked at the email he sent me and it looks like they are sending me out a replacement kindle straight away (should be here tomorrow) when I thought they were just sending me address labels to send my faulty one away. The email has the return address label, which I have to print off myself. Which is a pain because I don't have a printer :irked: so I will have to print that out Saturday at work.

So I may be reading again by tomorrow. (Not that I stopped reading- I have The Angel's Game in paperback.) I have to hold it with two hands though [sigh] How barbaric!

My kindle broke a couple of weeks before the warranty ran out - about 80% of the screensaver picture froze on screen, radiating out from a single point - looked like a dodgy etch-a-sketch picture! One of my colleagues said it sounded like a software fault he'd heard about, but when I spoke to customer support, they went through the basic troubleshooting list and said it sounded faulty so just send out a replacement in the post which arrived the next day. So far from what I've heard, Amazon seem to be happy that if it looks like a faulty device to simply replace it immediately - although not sure how far after the warranty period that will last for. To be honest, I'd resigned myself to replacing it myself, as I didn't initially realise it was still in warranty as I got it for Christmas, so was delighted when they agreed to replace it based on trusting my description of the fault.

My warranty still has a ways to go but I have to say I have found the customer sevice for the kindle excellent, when I enquired via email about buying a kindle for my brother who lives in Switzerland because of different book licensing laws, they actually rang me to explain the difference rather than just sending me a standard email reply.

I think it is basically good business sense on Amazon's part to look after kindle customers. I have a budget of £20 per month that I spend online at Amazon. Probably not as much as some people spend. But that is £240 I have spent in the last year just because of the kindle. Before last year I would only go to Amazon if I was looking for some book or DVD in particular, maybe only spending £20 in a whole year, as most of my books came from charity shops.

UPDATE:

My replacement kindle keyboard came yesterday to my wife's address. I picked it up early this morning after work but have not had time to do anything with it yet. I have to package the other one up to be collected. Goodbye old friend we had some chuckles :readingtwo:

I have to hold it with two hands though [sigh] How barbaric!

How blasphemous! :P

I think it is basically good business sense on Amazon's part to look after kindle customers.

Wouldn't it be better business sense to make a product that doesn't break so quickly? Seems that it happens to a lot of Kindles!

Hi Kylie,

y'know, the very first time I looked at the kindle I thought I bet that springy on/off switch will break first.....I was using mine every day and turning it on and off 10 or 12 times a day. But in the end it was something internal that went....nowadays they don't seem to make anything to last..but as long as they keep replacing my kindles Amazon is my best friend! I am really looking forward with interest to see what having a kindle does to your book buying habits.

y'know, the very first time I looked at the kindle I thought I bet that springy on/off switch will break first.....I was using mine every day and turning it on and off 10 or 12 times a day.

I'm worried about the on/off switch as well, so I usually just let it go into standby mode on it's own, saving the button for a tiny bit longer I guess.

Good to hear customer support on the Kindle is so good - mine's way out of warranty now. I've also got Kindle for Android on my phone, and have been known to use that for those occasions when there's no Kindle to hand. Not as good a reading experience as the Kindle itself (which I have got into), but really useful as a backup in case of breakdown, or on those days when one hasn't got the bigger beat with one. Not as bad as one might expect. Also useful for less overt reading!

I am really looking forward with interest to see what having a kindle does to your book buying habits.

It has changed mine completely, and I find that I am reading two or three times as much as I did and being more exploratory with the books that I do read - trying books for example from different countries or on subjects that I would not have thought about before. Even Coran has one now, and she has found the same thing. We call each other the Kindle Kids as we are like those couples that you see in coffee shops playing with their phones and not talking to each othe, except of course that we are both reading. It's good to have someone that I can discuss books with though in real life, as well as on here.