Where do you get your books?

~Andrea~

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tend to buy my books at my favorite bookstore: Barnes & Noble. I prefer going to the store but lately I've been purchasing them at their store's online shopping center. Mostly because the majority of the books I've been reading these days cannot be found at the store itself, but they tend to be available online no matter what.

I get my books from:

Amazon uk

Ebay uk

Charity shops

Second hand bookshops

Market stalls

Borders shop

Waterstones shop

and

presents from people - best presents are books - my bfs mum said she was sorry she kept buying books i said bluddy hell dont be i prefer them to anything else!

or free books from people who dont want them any more......

one of my favourite memories of being young is when i was probably 8 or 9. My mum used to work at the local secondary school as a cleaner and she came back with a black bag full of books from the school library that they were throwing out and an old style desk (with the flip top and the flip seat) i still have them in my room to this day, cant part with it or the books ;)

• 4 months later...

I buy most of my books on Amazon, since I'm in Belgium and english books are hard to come by here. There mostly is a small selection in the book store I frequent but mostly I've read those already.

When I go on one of my London trips I only buy books at Borders. I don't know why but the store on Charing Cross just calls out to me there

1. Amazon UK is my first port of call because of relative cheapness, free delivery, useful book-finding tools such as Listmania! and Users Who Bought This Books Also Bought; not to mention the fact that when weak, permanently injured ankles don't allow you to stand up for too long it is oh so convenient to be able to bookshop lying down.

2. Waterstone's. Their perennial 3 for 2 offer makes them the cheapest high street chain; also the friendliness and expertise of their sellers never fails to make me feel at home. I'd love them even more if they found a way of squeezing a chair or two into their smaller stores.

3. Charity & other second hand shops, if you're willing to take your time and hunt properly, often yield absolute bargains on books you never knew you wanted; however most write the price on the inside of their books, which I find a beastly practice as it never really rubs off completely.

Usually Waterstones because the shop in Birmingham is what a bookshop should be, and the 3 for 2 offer calls to me! (especially at the moment with everything on 3 for 2!) I sometimes buy from amazon and charity shops

First point of call would be bookhopper.com which is a free swapping site. I would then try green met or e bay. Failing that, I would probably buy new from Borders or Sainsburys! If I am in town, I always have a good root around the charity shops.

I am an opportunitsic shopper and buy books when I pass a book shop with a deal or when I pass a charity shop I will pop in and pick something up. If there is a title I really want, I will usually order online. I should go to the library more but if I love a book I want to keep it. When I used to use the library, I would often then go and buy the book to add to the book shelf :D Mad isn't it? :D