Random Literary confession from my childhood

But on the OP, for years I thought "Peanuts by Schulz" was a deliberate mis-spelling of "Peanuts by schools" - I thought the newspaper got school kids to send in the ideas.

Thats really sweet

Re Harry Potter - I still think "Accio" is "Attico" even though I can clearly see there are no T's in it. I don't think I know how to say any of the spells from HP and would stumble over a few of the names too.

my nephew got a wand at Christmas and he kept calling out "stupid-fly"

• 2 weeks later...

But on the OP, for years I thought "Peanuts by Schulz" was a deliberate mis-spelling of "Peanuts by schools" - I thought the newspaper got school kids to send in the ideas.

That's so cute! :giggle:

I just finished reading The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and all those Swedish names nearly made my brain explode!

I remember once having an argument with my boyfriend's brother about the proper pronunciation of the name Sirius from Happy Potter. He mocked me for pronouncing it like the word "serious", but I insisted that Rowling got the name from the constellation Siruis (a dog constellation, go figure....I swear, J.K. Rowling hardly ever came up with a character's name on her own). He didn't say anything after the 3rd movie came out. Hmmmm.... ;)

Besides books, there have been a ton of words I've mispronounced. Here in WA state, a lot of counties and towns have Native American names. For instance, there is a city called Sequim. It's pronounced "squim", as if the "e" doesn't exist. I pronounced it as "see-quim" in front of my class once and got totally ridiculed for it. Another one is a county here called "Wahkiakum". I pronounced it to my mom as "Wah-ki-A-kum", and it's actually "Wah-KI-a-kum". Whoops. And for years I thought that JFK's middle name was "Fitzergald". That's not even a word. :giggle:

Re Harry Potter - I still think "Accio" is "Attico" even though I can clearly see there are no T's in it. I don't think I know how to say any of the spells from HP and would stumble over a few of the names too.

haha, I also have a problem with Accio. I say it like 'ass-io', but I know in the films they say ack-io. which to me is wrong, and also, me being a stupid blonde, I never could think of Seamus as 'shay-mus'... I just read his name as see-mus.... because thats how its spelt... these silly books, eh?

haha, I also have a problem with Accio. I say it like 'ass-io', but I know in the films they say ack-io. which to me is wrong, and also, me being a stupid blonde, I never could think of Seamus as 'shay-mus'... I just read his name as see-mus.... because thats how its spelt... these silly books, eh?

Haha, you're not alone, when I first watched the first Harry potter film, I got a good way into the film before realising "Shay-mus" was "Seamus". I was wondering why they had left out the part of such an interesting character :doh:

I've always pronounced Accio as they do in the films, I remember debating with myself (such a cool kid I was) that the c's were pronounced as k like in the word "according" rather than the c in "acid" for the sole reason that there was the same number of c's as the word according as Accio.

It's completely natural for me to have two c's put together turn into ck. So, Ackio it is.

I used to always hide books under my pillow when I was a child. And I would read and walk. And I'd bring books everywhere, so when things got boring (eg grownups talking at restaurants) I'd have a quick and easy way to be entertained.

I remember once having an argument with my boyfriend's brother about the proper pronunciation of the name Sirius from Happy Potter. He mocked me for pronouncing it like the word "serious", but I insisted that Rowling got the name from the constellation Siruis (a dog constellation, go figure....I swear, J.K. Rowling hardly ever came up with a character's name on her own). He didn't say anything after the 3rd movie came out. Hmmmm.... ;)

You're both right - the name Sirius IS from Sirius, the dog star. She chose the name on purpose as he turns into a large dog and the Dog Star is the largest, brightest star in the sky (other than our sun).

And I always pronounced "accio" as "atch-ee-o" for some reason (with a hard "ch" as in "change" sound in the middle).

I never could think of Seamus as 'shay-mus'... I just read his name as see-mus.... because thats how its spelt... these silly books, eh?

Well the reason Seamus is pronounced Shay-mus is because it's an Irish name (Irish for James) and in Irish, the letters 'sea' are pronounced with an 'sh' sound in all contexts :) In fact the letters 'sea' by themselves in Irish (pronounced Shah) means 'yes' :D

Hmm... I never picked up a novel until I was 10 years old. Until then I stubbornly refused to read books without pictures in them. I learnt English from DC comics. :D

Also, on the matter of pronunciation, I never try sounding things out. Like "accio" for example. Until the Goblet of Fire movie, I had never tried to pronounce it. I knew the word, like all the other words, but I had never bothered to say it out loud. Quirk with me, I guess. I haven't outgrown it. Heck, when people ask me how to pronounce names from my book I just stare at them and then realise that people need these things.

Edited by vinay87

And I always pronounced "accio" as "atch-ee-o" for some reason (with a hard "ch" as in "change" sound in the middle).

I initially said it like that too, because at the time I was learning Italian, and a "c" followed "I" becomes the "chi" sound (e.g. citta (city) is pronounced chitta to our British ears) while "chi" is pronounced "kay" (e.g. the Hotel Lucchesi is pronounced "lu-kay-z"). At least, I think that's right, but my Italian is a bit rusty now!