The Book Thief - Markus Zusak

Sugar

Wow, just seen that I hadn't read it when last posting on this thread. I have to say, I have read it since then and loved it! It's an amazing read, full of emotion.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been reading it for a while now. It is somehow a very good story but on the other hand I find it written a bit...weirdly...I don't know. It's just not one of these books that I WANT to finish, it doesn't bother me. I pick it up from time to time and read a view pages and then put it aside for a couple of weeks. Just find it very confusing and I don't even know why. Well, the use of German words is confusing me quiet a lot actually as German is my mother language and mixing the 2 languages that I speak together just really confuses me. Maybe that's why I've got trouble reading it, I don't know. Maybe I'm just a complete Idiot ;)

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

I have thieved (borrowed :no:) this from the library to have a read. I remember it being talked about and referenced quite a bit across the odd thread with some obvious affection, so wanted to explore :censored:

Can't think of a better book to be hijacked by :censored: it was my best read of 2008, one of my top 5 reads of the 2000's and the only book ever to enter my dreams thanks not to its plotline (which is nonetheless awesome) but to its distinctive use of language. I couldn't possibly recommend it any higher than that even if I'd written the thing.

I think it is picking up a little more and making a bit more sense now. Interesting narrative, his use of words and paragraph placement is particularly compelling.

• 2 weeks later...

I absolutely love this book! It's been a long time since I read it but I remember the night when I finished it very well. I lay in bed, there were 100 pages left to read and I was very tired but the book really thrilled me and I wanted to know how it went on, so I finished it at 6 AM and I was very excited about what i've read so I couldn't sleep, therefore I started reading another book that let me coming down to earth.

The book thief is a story for reflexion and I have to say that it filled my eyes with tears (as it did with many other people in this forum).

I was very surprised that there were not that many cliches, because there are many people who think the germans are wearing leather trousers all day and stuff like that :smile2:

So I really enjoyed reading the book thief and I appeal to everyone: Read it! It's worth it!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow - some very mixed reviews.

What I liked about it best was the mixture of humour and tragedy. Children even in the worst circumstances will still play, still enjoy themselves, still learn. It really captured that feeling for me of what it would be like to be a child in that time.

I have read other world war 2 books which were more gritty but I have never read one before which I think so honestly captures a child's perspective.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Ok I've heard good things about this book.

Would you recommend it?

I'm in 2 frames of mind. I fancy it because I don't really know that much about The Holocaust (excuse my ignorance) and it would be nice to be a little more educated and like I say there are a lot of good things out there about it. I don't really fancy a taxing read though. I don't know if it is or not?

Thanks

YES YES YES!!!!! It is a fabulous book, everyone I know who has read it agrees, definitely in my top ten books of all time. :smile:

Wow Chalie that good eh. Maybe I will try it.

Is it a taxing read though? The subject matter makes it sound it.

I'm sure I read somewhere it's a YA read

Not at all taxing, despite the subject matter it is actually pretty light and even amusing in parts. It's a delightful book and if you have it in your possession you really should put everything to one side and read it immediately ;-)

My copy is getting a bit dog eared as I have lent it out so many times!

I second Chalie's response. :D

It is marketed as YA but is quite an adult book, I think. It's not a very taxing/difficult read at all. But have some tissues handy!

What a great review Sugar. I read this a few years back and remember feeling similar to how you did.

This review has prompted me to re-read it actually! To be honest I didn't even realise it was classed as a children's book, a colleague suggested reading it so picked a copy up. Great book, definitely goes down on my list as a classic. Would highly recommend reading it!

Andie P x

Edited by Andie P