The Last Film You Saw ~ Part 2

Chrissy

Being bored or not depends on personal taste. We often like different things, so it's difficult to tell until you watch it. I found this imdb link for you:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0252225/

(no reviews there though, only a stars rating, my dvd has a different cover from the one displayed there)

This reviewer didn't it like it that much:

http://chicago.metromix.com/movies/review/movie-review-almost-salinas/157983/content

These reviewers enjoyed it as much as I did:

http://www.kaplanvskaplan.com/review.php?id=461

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I love most of the Australian films I've seen. Strictly Ballroom is my favourite EVER film. Muriel's Wedding is fabulous too, frankie, you must watch it. I also love The Dish, Rabbit-Proof Fence, Shine and the animation Mary & Max with Toni Collette and Philip Seymour Hoffman voicing the main characters - totally brilliant!

I've also seen Almost Salinas (although it isn't Australian), and to be honest, for me it was bit of a straight to video/TV movie of the week type film. It was okay for a rainy Sunday afternoon, but I personally didn't think it was anything special.

How is it that Greg Kinnear always plays the bad guy? I mean, wouldn't it be more of a challenge to cast him as a hero for once? Not that he doesn't do a great job. I detest all the characters he plays.

Greg Kinnear a bad guy? I don't think I have ever seen him in a bad guy role. I liked him as the gay artist in As Good As It Gets and as a conjoined twin in Stuck On You

Went to cinema 3 times over past two weeks

The Help......excellent

Ides of March .... with the lovely Mr Clooney...hubba hubba.

and last night

We Need to talk about Kevin.....wouldn't say it was a 'nice' film given the subject matter if you have read the book you will know what I mean, but it was very good.

Just finished watching 'Entre les murs' , a French movie from 2008 also known as 'The Class'.

It was completely different from other movies in this genre, you know, problem children in a class room, teacher trying to win their trust and help them get better grades at school, etc. Here we only see teachers and children at school, it is filmed in a way that looks like a documentary, yet it is a movie. We hear different viewpoints from teachers and parents about how to treat students and we hear opinions from students about what happens at school.

Sometimes the teachers are correct, sometimes the students are correct. The movie doesn't really say 'this is good and this is bad', it just shows what's going on in a compelling manner, tries to create an understanding of the various teacher-student-parent situations and leaves it to the viewers to draw their own conclusions.

After it finished I realised I didn't even notice a soundtrack, there probably was one, it just didn't really aim to create the mood of the film which enhanced the documentary style quality. I was about to do some chores at home while playing this movie (I recorded it a while ago from a Dutch tv channel until I would have the time and mood for it), but it was so interesting that I ended up just watching it without doing my chores.

Breakfast at Tiffanys: Last time I watched it I was a little and didn't completely understand the story. I still remembered parts of the movie. Now I watched it with my children. It was wonderful. Not just because I love Audrey Hepburn, the entire movie was funny and touching and lovely. It was a nice afternoon-turning-into-evening of movie watching. :D

I watch theirs with them and they watch my taste of film with me. Often we enjoy each others movie, every now and then we dislike them. But it's fun!

Edited by Michelle

Greg Kinnear a bad guy? I don't think I have ever seen him in a bad guy role. I liked him as the gay artist in As Good As It Gets and as a conjoined twin in Stuck On You

Well it's not like he's always played a villain and killed people and stuff, but the movies I've seen him in, he's been the man who mistreats his women or just isn't there for them. Take these for example: Loser, You've Got Mail, and a few others which I can't recall at the moment.

The last movie that I watched was Adventureland, today. Stupid digibox had only recorded the first hour of the movie for ef's sake :irked: :irked: :irked:

I saw This Happy Breed this afternoon. I always forget how much I love it until it comes on again .. total class.

frankie : you must watch Muriels Wedding, it's the best and Toni Collette is wonderful in it.

sadya : Who doesn't love Audrey in anything let alone Breakfast at Tiffany's? Sometimes they put it on at my local cinema but I've never managed yet to go and see it. I have the DVD though and it's almost worn out :D

Well it's not like he's always played a villain and killed people and stuff, but the movies I've seen him in, he's been the man who mistreats his women or just isn't there for them. Take these for example: Loser, You've Got Mail, and a few others which I can't recall at the moment.

That's funny I seen those films long time ago but don't even remember Mr Kinnear being in them! I can understand why you watched YGM frankie it being about books quite a lot :wink:

That's funny I seen those films long time ago but don't even remember Mr Kinnear being in them! I can understand why you watched YGM frankie it being about books quite a lot :wink:

Yep, and there's Tom Hanks :smile2: I quite dislike Meg Ryan, so it's sort of mind boggling how I keep liking that movie, though. :)

Yep, and there's Tom Hanks :smile2: I quite dislike Meg Ryan, so it's sort of mind boggling how I keep liking that movie, though. :)

I quite like that movie too even though Meg Ryan is the exact double of my first wife

Who doesn't love Audrey in anything let alone Breakfast at Tiffany's? Sometimes they put it on at my local cinema but I've never managed yet to go and see it. I have the DVD though and it's almost worn out :D

I would love to watch that movie on the big screen. I wish we had a cinema here which would show movies from the past every now and then, there are many more I'd love to watch there.

I have a different dvd of a Hepburn movie, a special edition of 'My fair lady'. That was my introduction to Audrey Hepburn for my children. They love her movies now as much as I do.:D Even now after all those years I still watch that dvd at least once every year. My special edition has an extra cd in it with the real voice of Hepburn singing a song that was dubbed in the original movie (against the wishes of Hepburn). There is also the real voice of the Freddie character singing, I forgot the name of that actor/singer. They both had lovely voices and as far as I'm concerned, their own voices could have remained in the movie too.

You know, whenever I watch a Hepburn movie, afterwards I can't imagine any one else playing that role. I don't have that with every actor or actress. Very few own the part they played the way Hepburn did.

I used to be a fan and I'm not now (of Meg) and, although it shouldn't make a difference to how much I enjoy her films, it does :( .. any book lover can't help but enjoy 'You've Got Mail' though.

I would love to watch that movie on the big screen. I wish we had a cinema here which would show movies from the past every now and then, there are many more I'd love to watch there.

I have a different dvd of a Hepburn movie, a special edition of 'My fair lady'. That was my introduction to Audrey Hepburn for my children. They love her movies now as much as I do.:D Even now after all those years I still watch that dvd at least once every year. My special edition has an extra cd in it with the real voice of Hepburn singing a song that was dubbed in the original movie (against the wishes of Hepburn). There is also the real voice of the Freddie character singing, I forgot the name of that actor/singer. They both had lovely voices and as far as I'm concerned, their own voices could have remained in the movie too.

You know, whenever I watch a Hepburn movie, afterwards I can't imagine any one else playing that role. I don't have that with every actor or actress. Very few own the part they played the way Hepburn did.

The great thing about Audrey is that she was beautiful inside and out but didn't know it (or didn't make a big thing out of it) ... her image is everywhere still but she was so modest.

I get cross about the dubbed 'My Fair Lady', why did they have to have her sing in such an operatic way?, I'm sure the songs would have worked just as well using her own more natural voice (same for Jeremy Brett) It's one of the reasons I love 'Funny Face' so much .. to see Audrey singing in that little bookshop gives me the tingles. She was horribly snubbed at the Oscars that year .. the film won Oscars for just about everything but Audrey wasn't even nominated, to rub salt in the wound Julie Andrews (deservedly) won the Oscar for best actress (Mary Poppins) and Julie was the actress that everyone thought should have played Eliza (because she had done it so well on stage .. but she wasn't known enough at the time so they cast a box office name instead.) Audrey carries that movie and is a joy in it so to not be even nominated was a real slap in the face. I know she was crushed by the whole experience and that makes me not enjoy the movie as much as I otherwise would.

I love all of her movies and have practically all of them, even the ones where she only had cameo roles (like The Lavender Hill Mob) .. she lights up the screen for me.

frankie : you must watch Muriels Wedding, it's the best and Toni Collette is wonderful in it.

Well as it happens, vodkafan has very generously offered to lend me his copy of the movie so I do get to watch it soonish! :smile2: Isn't he a swell man?

I used to be a fan and I'm not now (of Meg) and, although it shouldn't make a difference to how much I enjoy her films, it does :( .. any book lover can't help but enjoy 'You've Got Mail' though.

How do you go from being a fan to disliking her now? :huh:

The last movie I watched was The Ron Clark Story, starring Matthew Perry (whom I adore but whose movies I usually can't stand). I really enjoyed it and I'm going to add Ron Clark's book about teaching kids to my wishlist :)

I watched Social Network on Saturday and last night while I was making dinner I had an old favorite, Waiting for Guffman :D.

Hey peace, how did you like Social Network? It's the one with Jesse Eisenberg, right? I'd like to watch it, if so. And if it's any good :)

I don't know if you noticed, but I started watching Adventureland last Sunday, but my stupid digibox had only recorded the first hour of the movie!! And I didn't realise until the last two minutes, otherwise I wouldn't have started watching it. I was so bummed!!

I watched another movie today, called Jenifer. It's about Jenifer Estess who was diagnosed with ALS. A lot of actors that I recognised, and great ones as well.

the film won Oscars for just about everything but Audrey wasn't even nominated, to rub salt in the wound Julie Andrews (deservedly) won the Oscar for best actress (Mary Poppins) and Julie was the actress that everyone thought should have played Eliza (because she had done it so well on stage .. but she wasn't known enough at the time so they cast a box office name instead.) Audrey carries that movie and is a joy in it so to not be even nominated was a real slap in the face. I know she was crushed by the whole experience and that makes me not enjoy the movie as much as I otherwise would.

They should have nominated Hepburn for 'My Fair Lady' too. She played that part from head to toe, every small detail in her performance was Eliza Doolittle.

We used to have Performance channel here. Sometimes they showed former tv performances and one of them was the stage performance of Julie Andrews singing 'Wouldn't it be lovely' in a tv show. It was great, but somehow Julie Andrews wasn't really Eliza Doolittle for me. I don't know if I would have had that same opinion if had never seen Audrey Hepburn play that part, but although well done, Andrews just wasn't it completely for me in the way Hepburn definitely was.

I like both Andrews and Hepburn, they were both amazing in their own way. Yet between the two, Hepburn is my favourite. I'm afraid I haven't seen all her movies though. I know a few songs from 'Funny Faces', but I've yet to watch that movie. Reading your review interests me even more to watch that one first if I can find it. They don't show movies from the past often here nowadays and that's such a shame, many of these movies aren't even for rent. :-( I'm trying to show my children as many movies from the past as possible to give them an idea of the quality and strength of acting and storytelling. If someone would make me choose between from now on only watching current movies or movies from the past, I'd go for movies from the past.

Hey peace, how did you like Social Network? It's the one with Jesse Eisenberg, right? I'd like to watch it, if so. And if it's any good :)

I don't know if you noticed, but I started watching Adventureland last Sunday, but my stupid digibox had only recorded the first hour of the movie!! And I didn't realise until the last two minutes, otherwise I wouldn't have started watching it. I was so bummed!!

Hey Frankie! When I first watched Social Network I liked it but wasn't blown away. I've watched it a couple more times since then and it's definitely grown on me. I love however the dialogue without a doubt, since Aaron Sorkin IMO is a masterful screenwriter. After seeing the film I would also say that I'm certainly no fan of Mark Zuckerberg! :lol:

I saw that you only got to watch part of Adventureland which is a crying shame! It was a pretty good film and it brings back some nice memories from that time period.

I watched "The Way" at the weekend, great film, great actors, I would highly recommend it

"A father heads overseas to recover the body of his estranged son who died while traveling the "El camino de Santiago" from France to Spain".