Your Book Activity Today ~ Thread 15

Janet

I finished Elsewhere (Gabrielle Zevin) today, a very enjoyable read with a great spin on the afterlife. What was lovely about the book was that all the characters were likeable, and loveable in most cases. Being a dog lover I really fell in love with her dog in Elsewhere, Sadie. Overall a light, feel good and fascinating story.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finished Ali Smith's 'Girl Meets Boy' today and was frankly blown away by it. What an extraordinary book that is so alive and lyrical and vibrant and textured and compelling.

It would be almost impossible to describe this book, as all I can do is list some of it's elements; sisters, family, responsibility, poetry, politics, myths and legends, womanhood and womankind, the modern and the ancient, nature, music, humankind, and most especially it's about love and how it captures us. All I can really say is read this book if you want to be spoken to intelligently by a voice that has a strong tale to tell where nothing and eveything happens, and you are left breathless and reeling from the impact. All this in such a short book (only 161 pages).

Chesilbeach, you are wonderful. Thank you so much for giving me this now always to be treasured book. :friends0:

I finished Steven Saylor's Catalina's Riddle, which was brilliant, and have started on Dan Simmons' Hyperion, which took me a few pages to get into the mind-set for, but then I couldn't put it down :D

I finished Steven Saylor's Catalina's Riddle, which was brilliant, and have started on Dan Simmons' Hyperion, which took me a few pages to get into the mind-set for, but then I couldn't put it down :D

I loved the Hyperion and Endymion series. Hope you enjoy those.

Never heard of Catalina's Riddle, but it sounds interesting. :)

I have not been into Charm's book list or read any other of her reviews and added some more books to my wishlist.

Are you sure???? dry.gif

Finished Dead Reckoning. Better than the last couple of Sookie books,

:23_sing: La la la la la ..... I'm not listening to youuuu ... la la la la! *puts hands over ears* :unsure:

I haven't read a single page today :blush:

Hi all, I haven't been on in a while, but I've been reading! I'll update my reading list, but have to mention one I just finished last night. The Stalin Epigram by Robert Littell. absolutely took my breath away. I read the last half in one sitting, couldn't put it down. Of course I knew what was going to happen to a poet that had the audacity to write an epigram denouncing Josef Stalin, but still. The language is so beautiful, the story so heartbreaking, that when I put the book down, finished, I couldn't move. Still digesting. Fantastic, highly recommend it. To say the least. :readingtwo:

Edited by pontalba

I loved the Hyperion and Endymion series. Hope you enjoy those.

I'm just over halfway through Hyperion - absolutely loving it :D

Never heard of Catalina's Riddle, but it sounds interesting

I've really enjoyed all three of the books I've read in the series. If you like historical fiction and murder mysteries I can't recommend them highly enough :)

Edited by Karsa Orlong

I am currently reading The Girl on the Swing by Ali Cooper. Another good buy on the Kindle (I hate paying full price for e-books!). Interesting, well-written story so far about a female Doctor dealing with the loss of her son and coming to terms with "past lives" that regularly merge with her day-to-day existence. The pace is a little slow perhaps, but the Doctor's character is thoughtfully and sympathetically drawn enabling the reader to suspend disbelief as the articulate and professional medic describes her supernatural experience in a matter-of-fact way... I'm very interested to see where it takes me.

My first book for The Transworld Book Club arrived this morning! It is Black Swan Rising by Lee Carroll, can't wait to start reading this but need to finish my current read first!

Ooh, can't wait to see how you like it! I don't remember what it's about, but it's been on my wishlist for almost a year, I picked the book up rather randomly in a bookshop and liked the sound of it :)

Still reading Thomas Mann's A Man and His Dog. Have also started reading Literary Trivia - Over 300 Curious Lists for Bookworms by Aubrey Malone (thanks Kylie! :smile2:)

Ooh, can't wait to see how you like it! I don't remember what it's about, but it's been on my wishlist for almost a year, I picked the book up rather randomly in a bookshop and liked the sound of it :)

Still reading Thomas Mann's A Man and His Dog. Have also started reading Literary Trivia - Over 300 Curious Lists for Bookworms by Aubrey Malone (thanks Kylie! :smile2:)

I'm really enjoying it so far, am going to pick it up again tonight so I might even get it finished tonight as its quite fast paced!

I'm off to look at Over 300 Curious Lists for Bookworms now, as it contains both the words 'Lists' and 'Bookworms!'

I have been suckered into Gena Showalter's Alien Huntress series....dam!:D

She has a tendancy to do that, enjoy! :D

My mojo needs a break methinks, it has taken another unapproved holiday :irked: I started The Killing Place by Tess Gerritsen, a series I usually love, and just can't get into it. I hope it picks up. :(

My TBR 'pile' has just grown a bit ...

Fallen Idols by Neil White

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

The Crucifix Killer by Chris Carter

The Infidel by Bob Shepherd

The Strain by Chuck Hogan and Guillermo del Toro

The Bones of Avalon by Phil Rickman

Damn Amazon and their Kindle sale :mad::lol:

Add The Fall of Hyperion by Dan Simmons to that list, although that one wasn't in the sale :rolleyes: