Your Book Activity Today ~ Thread 14

Chrissy

I've read 52 pages of Madame Bovary and I'm surprised how pleasant it's been once I passed the first few pages that I must've read at least 5 times in the past, trying to get into the story. I'm rather looking forward to reading more when I go to bed tonight.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got back into my book today Kissed by an Angel by Elizabeth Chandler, read about 7 chapters this afternoon, got 13 chapters left, can't wait to finish it because its been dragging on the past 15 chapters, however it has kicked up a bit.

I've now started The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde after reading numerous positive comments on here. Had no idea it was set in the future; for some reason I'd thought it was a chick-lit type book. :giggle:

Mostly The Eyre Affair is set in the past (1980s, to be specific). But there are allusions to time travel.

I've read 52 pages of Madame Bovary and I'm surprised how pleasant it's been once I passed the first few pages that I must've read at least 5 times in the past, trying to get into the story. I'm rather looking forward to reading more when I go to bed tonight.

Yay! I'm pleased you're enjoying it so much more. I'm up to about the same point as you.

I have finished Jane Eyre - I only wish I'd read it sooner! I also got my copy ofOne of our Thurday's is missingin the post yesterday so I'm making a start on my reread of the Eyre affair today yay.

Jane Eyre remains to this day one of my favourite reads I can still quote bits from it, so glad you enjoyed it. Very jealous you have a copy of One of our Thursdays is missing I will have to wait til pay day next week before I go on a book buying spree :D

I started Jasmyn - Alex Bell last night and am loving it, again it appears to be a modern take on a fairytale and I love this type of book.

Over the past week or so, I've read Murakami's Kafka on the Shore and Sputnik Sweetheart. I loved them both! I actually found a bunch of great recommendations in Kafka, especially classic and early modern Japanese literature, which I also love. I've added a bunch to my wish list. :)

There's a distinct possibility that I have just ordered Jasper Fforde's 'One Of Our Thursdays Is Missing' :blush: I was going to wait for the paperback, and was initially (unintentionally) holding off getting into 'Something Rotten' until closer to that date.......but......:D

I'm gutted that I've still not finished The Legacy, I put it down to all the reading I'm doing at work! I seem to be reading for about 5 hours a day so by the time I get home I can't be bothered to read my book! I'm going to have to sort this out :irked:

I have just finished Jasmyn - Alex Bell it was a lovely story loosely based on the swan fairytales (you know the swan maidens) and its partly set in the most beautiful fairytale castle I have ever seen Neuschwanstein in Bavaria

I read about 40 pages of Editors in Conversation, 50 pages of Madame Bovary and a couple of chapters of Mr Rosenblum's List. The problem with reading 3 books at once is, of course, that you feel like you're making very little progress. :rolleyes:

I have resisted the temptation to get Crave so far as although I liked Covet it wasn't a patch on the BDB books,

I finished Crave today and it was way better than Covet ;) don't resist the temptation too much longer!

Not sure what to read next ...

Started In Cold Blood - Truman Capote this morning, I might not read this in one go but read something else at the same time, just not sure what yet...the world is my oyster as they say

I finished Crave today and it was way better than Covet ;) don't resist the temptation too much longer!

Not sure what to read next ...

Excellent I will add it to my list, although thinking about it you know I might have read it already just not sure...oh well will have alook at my shelves I might already have it...:D . just another week before the new BDB comes out maybe I will re-read one of these this weekend unless I find something good in the library this evening, I have ploughed through all my books too quickly this week.

This is a brilliant book; one of my absolute favourites. :)

I have only just started it and so far its really absorbing, I think I just need something light to go along with it.

Finished reading Kissed by an Angel by Elizabeth Chandler. Now I'm going to start reading today Coming Home for Christmas by Patricia Scanlan

Edited by Punkafoo

I have just finished Jasmyn - Alex Bell it was a lovely story loosely based on the swan fairytales (you know the swan maidens) and its partly set in the most beautiful fairytale castle I have ever seen Neuschwanstein in Bavaria

Oooh! I'm so glad to hear this, Bell is an author I'd never heard about whose books keep trying to jump out at me in bookshops :D also, Wild Swans is by far my favourite traditional fairytale, so I can see myself liking this one a lot. Have you read his Ninth Circle, by any chance, any idea if it's as good?

Oooh! I'm so glad to hear this, Bell is an author I'd never heard about whose books keep trying to jump out at me in bookshops :D also, Wild Swans is by far my favourite traditional fairytale, so I can see myself liking this one a lot. Have you read his Ninth Circle, by any chance, any idea if it's as good?

No not read it, I picked this one purely by accident and as I love a fairytale I read it, I am intending though to go and look for his other books, I think there are two more including the one you mentioned and another coming out this year.

Still reading English passengers should finish it either tonight or tomorrow & then like Bobblybear I'll be starting The Eyre Affair :)

I also gave in to temptation & ordered The Forsyte Saga Volumes 2 & 3 from Amazon.