Your Book Activity Today ~ Thread 14

Chrissy

I finished Mr Rosenblum's List last night, will write my thoughts on it later today. Now I'm going to start reading Madame Bovary and Please Kill Me: The Uncensored Oral History of Punk.

Edit: I'm debating whether I should go to the library and borrow Emma Donoghue's Room, which has been finally returned, but it's like -25 C out there.

Edited by frankie

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finished Mr Rosenblum's List last night, will write my thoughts on it later today. Now I'm going to start reading Madame Bovary and Please Kill Me: The Uncensored Oral History of Punk.

Edit: I'm debating whether I should go to the library and borrow Emma Donoghue's Room, which has been finally returned, but it's like -25 C out there.

Wow, you flew through Rosenblum! I'm only 75 pages in.

I reckon you should go to the library. It could be worse; it could be -30. giggle.gif

Wow, you flew through Rosenblum! I'm only 75 pages in.

I reckon you should go to the library. It could be worse; it could be -30. giggle.gif

I was so sick of reading Rosenblum at one point that I decided to just keep reading til I finished it. But don't worry, I went to the library and found Riikka Pulkkinen's novel Totta, which was a candidate for the Finlandia book prize in 2010, and the book's so popular that I only got the quick loan which means I can only have it for one week so I must read it asap. Therefore you'll have loads of time to read Rosenblum alongside Madame Bovary :)

And, it was more than -30 degrees this morning, but luckily the sun is shining and it's warming us a bit. According to the weather forecast we should be having 2-3 more weeks of -20-30 degrees :rolleyes:

I'm so happy I got the Room by Emma Donoghue, I've been wanting to borrow it for a couple of months now! :)

Off to Bookcrossing meetup tonight wtih three books to release.

The Hat Shop on the Corner ~ Marita Conlonn-McKenna

Dragon ~ Clive Cussler

Clear & Present Danger ~ Tom Clancy

No reading cause no mojo :(

Nooooo, not again!

My mojo is slowly coming back. Thanks to Slaughterhouse 5.

I have also found that sorting out your TBR pile is also good at getting the ol' mojo to wake up.

Had my Library Book Club meet last night, and our next book is The Brutal Art by Jesse Kellerman.Read the first chapter and it already has me wondering what is going to happen.

I also have a Non fiction book called. Time and free will. Something I have deciced to read about again. I was really into the subject a while ago and decided to re-read some of my old books an dpapers and get some more from the library so interesting.

I just don't have enough time to read all that much. But hoping that when the weather gets drier and wamer I can read while the kids are playing down the park and I sit watching (and reading) them.

I went book shopping to fill in some time today and came away with 4 books:

Italo Calvino: Invisible Cities

Christopher Kock: The Year of Living Dangerously

Leo Tolstory: Anna Karenina

Leo Tolstoy: War and Peace

<gulp> to the last two!

I haven't had a chance to do much reading; I've only read about one chapter of Mr Rosenblum's List.

I went book shopping to fill in some time today and came away with 4 books:

Italo Calvino: Invisible Cities

Christopher Kock: The Year of Living Dangerously

Leo Tolstory: Anna Karenina

Leo Tolstoy: War and Peace

<gulp> to the last two!

I haven't had a chance to do much reading; I've only read about one chapter of Mr Rosenblum's List.

wow Gulp indeed!!!Anna Karenina I have read it and I personally found it a complete slog

After finishing Karen Rose last night I have gone back to China Mieville - Iron Council enjoying thesecond half of the book more than the first though the description of the remade still makes me a bit queasy

wow Gulp indeed!!!Anna Karenina I have read it and I personally found it a complete slog

I was just about to write back with a double gulp to War and Peace but I actually really enjoyed Anna Karenina and didn't find it a slog as I thought it might be. I think a lot depends on how good the translation is too.

Still enjoying Behind the Scenes at the Museum by Kate Atkinson but have also started The Cossacks by Tolstoy which I downloaded for free on Kindle.

I was just about to write back with a double gulp to War and Peace but I actually really enjoyed Anna Karenina and didn't find it a slog as I thought it might be. I think a lot depends on how good the translation is too.

I hope I have the same opinion of Anna Karenina as you do, Sue. mocking.gif I never think to research translations beforehand and they all claim to be the best on the cover. :) I have the recent edition that Vintage published, translated by Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky.

I hope I have the same opinion of Anna Karenina as you do, Sue. mocking.gif I never think to research translations beforehand and they all claim to be the best on the cover. :) I have the recent edition that Vintage published, translated by Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky.

Don't be scared Kylie, and just go for it :) It's a massive read but I liked it okay, eventhough I wasn't the biggest fan of the character of Anna.

I've been reading Riikka Pulkkinen's novel Totta and I'm really liking it so far. Should be able to finish it today or tomorrow and then I can dive into Madame Bovary.

I'm not sure who translated my edition as it's at home. But I have since downloaded a free version on Kindle so it will be interesting to see if there are any major differences.

Edited by SueK

Hi. I haven't been on the forum much as lost my mojo.

Have abandoned Anna Karenina but I did get to page 500 - every time I think about reading it I feel nauseated. The book is fine. I want to find out what happens but I read it too many times with morning sickness and now I just can't even think about it. You'll be fine with it Kylie - I found it very readable.

I am reading Inkheart - it has taken me about 2 weeks to get about 4/5 of the way through. Hoping to finish it this weekend.

Mum had some vouchers to use because our biggest bookshop in New Zealand has gone into administration (gulp). I went nuts in the children's section! The Gruffalo, One mole digging a hole etc etc. All lovely picture books.

I finished The Help Kathryn Stockett last night what a wonderful book & hubby just finished reading English Passengers Matthew Kneale so instead of starting on Jasper Fforde as I'd intended we've done a swap.

No reading cause no mojo :(

Oh dear...you need a cheer me up good read then :friends0:

Friend gave me 'Minding Frankie' ~ Maeve Binchy....haven't read any of hers in many a year.

Today I perused the charity shops in Kenilworth for books and as always returned home with multiple bags full, 11 in total :cool:

Charlotte Bronte - Jane Eyre

Iain Banks - The Wasp Factory

Karen Maitland - The Owl Killers: a novel of the Dark Ages

Chris Wooding - The Fade

Juliet Barker - The Brontes

Toni Jordan - Addition

Edward O. Wilson - The Future Of Life

Stephen Jay Gould - Life's Grandeur

Bill Bryson - A Short History of Nearly Everything (I already own a HB copy but wanted a PB copy to transport easily)

Bernard Cornwell - The Lords of the North (HAS ANYONE READ THIS? IF SO WOULD THIS BE OKAY TO READ ALONE AS WAS ONLY AWARE IT WAS 3RD IN SERIES WHEN ADDED TO GOODREADS)

Bird id guide, published in the 80's but with great illustrations :)

Still continuing with Iron Council by China Mieville - tis fantastic, love it!

Edited by chrysalis_stage