Rosegarden's Read and To Be Read List 2007 (Audio Books)

rosegarden

Is it easy to do that?

If you have Sky+ it is! That's how I do it anyway. I can't get digital radio where I live but I can get all the digital radio stations on Sky. I just set it to record every chapter every day and it does....it's brill.

If you don't have Sky+ I presume you can just record it off the radio or your computer.

Carole

:lol:

• 4 weeks later...

The Secret Life of Bees - what a wonderful sweet book. I listened to the audio book version read by a lady with a lovely Southern accent, it added to the story for me.

A nice, feel good story. I really cared about the characters, especially Lily, the main heroine.

Carole

:blush:

• 2 months later...

I've just finished reading Princess Orchid by Anchee Min. Has anyone else read it? I found it absolutely fascinating. Not only was it an interesting story but it was an amazing insight into the peoples lives inside the Forbidden City in China in the middle of the 19th Century.

I had no idea of Chinese history so it was a real eye-opener B)

I enjoyed the writer's attention to detail in everything from the wonderful clothes they wore to the poverty of the peasants.

It's also given me a real interest in learning more about Chinese history and how Great Britain shaped their history.

Definitely one of my favourites books of this year. :)

Carole

:roll:

• 2 months later...

Just finished listening to the audiobook and wondered if anyone else had read it?

It's basically the story of Mr Golightly who is trying to write a book and decides to stay in a cottage in a little village in order to get some peace and quiet....but in doing so he learns quite a lot about the other villagers and has an influence on each and every one of them.

He also has a sad incident to deal with from his past.

As the story unfolds slowly, we begin to realise that Mr Golightly is not who we think he is.

Even though I didn't really like the narrator (Derek Jacobi) very much, I tried not to let it spoil my enjoyment and would recommend this book. :lol:

Carole

:)

• 3 months later...

"1930, New York. In the unbearable heat of summer, Irish immigrant Will Carthy works as a riveter on the tallest skyscraper in the world, spending his days above the clouds and his nights fighting loneliness. When his half-sister, Isobel, sails out to join him, Will hurries to meet her at Ellis Island, only to find that she seems to have vanished before passing through immigration control. And so begins Will's quest, scouring the teeming tenements for a red-haired girl who now haunts his dreams. Desperate for help, Will becomes involved with the charismatic but lethal union agitator, Foxy Nolan, and the Trichardts - a wealthy, socialite couple with a disturbing agenda of their own. Little by little, though, Will realises that something deeply sinister is at play in Isobel's disappearance and that the answer might rest in an altogether wider arena of social and political ambition...The Golden Door captures brilliantly the mood of Prohibition-era New York, when the glittering towers of modern Manhattan were rising from every street corner as the American Dream came crashing down."

What a little gem of a book! If you like your missing persons thrillers to be all action then I don't recommend this BUT if you like a book that's very slow to reveal the surprising answers, while giving a unique taste of New York in 1930 then this is the book for you. :lol:

A wonderfully descriptive tale of Will's search for his sister, the people he meets along the way and the places he goes to.

Carole

:D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

"1989, South London. Jack, an ebullient butcher, has died, and his last orders are to cast his ashes off Margate Pier. His wife of 50 years, Amy, stays home, with the excuse of a visit to their mentally-disabled daughter. Jack's three closest friends, Ray, Vic, and Lenny - along with Jack's son Vince - head for Margate. Each has memories of Jack and of friendships, family, and conflicts. It's Vince's relationship with his dad that's the most complex, and Ray's long friendship with both Jack and Amy that holds things together. The last orders - to go to Margate and strew the ashes - become an invitation to recall what's done, what's left, and what's important."

This is a book about ordinary people with ordinary lives looking back and we learn about the secrets and lies that they've been harbouring over the years.

It's an interesting story, but I did find some of it a bit boring in the middle. Overall, I did enjoy it. I give it 6/10.

Carole

:lol: