Chrissy's Books 2011

Chrissy

Day 16 ~ Favourite female character

Although there were a few contenders, I decided that it could only be Thursday Next from Jasper FForde's wonderful series.

Over the course of the series I have grown to love this remarkable character. She takes EVERYTHING in her stride, despite being up against and striding amongst, the often fantastic and always very weird!

Her intense and unswerving love for her family and her determination to always see the right thing done makes her a hero to me.

She is at her most resourceful and innovative when she is facing a mighty foe, be that the corporation that is Goliath or the mealy mouthed jobsworths on the streets of Swindon. She is genuine, honest, dogged and loyal with an ability to short cut any bullcrap.

Yay Chrissy :yahoo: .. is there anyone who doesn't love Thursday? I don't just love her, I want to be her.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Day 7 Most under rated book

I am going to say 'Earthly Powers' by Anthony Burgess. In his writing prime, Burgess was highly rated (Clockwork Orange etc), but I have always felt that this particular book passed by without much fanfare. I may be wrong, but I am yet to meet someone who has actually read it! :lol: It is the interwoven story of the lives of two families, as mainly seen through the eyes of the central character Kenneth Toomey. It begins just prior to the First World War, and travels many a path to bring us up to the 1980's.

You know what Chrissy, simply because I've missed browsing your book thread and seeing what reads you're enjoying, I'm going to take this one on when I get chance. Thanks for the recommendation; I have to say I've never really heard anyone mention it either, as opposed to the amount of times A Clockwork Orange is brought up in discussion - which is a novel I do love, as it happens.

Edited by Ben

Day 16 ~ Favourite female character

Although there were a few contenders, I decided that it could only be Thursday Next from Jasper FForde's wonderful series.

Over the course of the series I have grown to love this remarkable character. She takes EVERYTHING in her stride, despite being up against and striding amongst, the often fantastic and always very weird!

Her intense and unswerving love for her family and her determination to always see the right thing done makes her a hero to me.

She is at her most resourceful and innovative when she is facing a mighty foe, be that the corporation that is Goliath or the mealy mouthed jobsworths on the streets of Swindon. She is genuine, honest, dogged and loyal with an ability to short cut any bullcrap.

I agree, Thursday Next is the best! :)

Day 17 ~ Favourite quote from a favourite book

'Judas Child'

As the current gently rocked her in a warm fleece-lined boat upon the water, she slowly turned to face the other child, small and solemn, left behind on the receding shore - left behind.

Day 18 ~ A book that disappointed you

Patricia Cornwell - any Scarpetta novel after 'The Last Precinct', where her plots became ridiculous and saggy, and her characters became cardboard cut outs of weirdness and deterioration. I was so bitterly disappointed that having invested money, time, emotional energy and fandom into this writer from her first book, 'Post Mortem' that she would have the temerity to write such nonsense and get it published. There had been hints of silliness in her writing in her Andy Brazil books and her Winston Garano books, where she seemed to go off at odd borderline supernatural tangents. What is she thinking? Where are her editors? Why take such a good writing style and great taut plots combined with brilliantly drawn and believable characters, and mush them up into fanciful stories that often made little sense, with spiteful and hateful people in?

I won't spend money on her books now. She's lost a huge fan. :(

Day 19 ~ Your favourite book that was turned into a movie

I know there have been some fabulous adaptations from book, but I choose two from the many. Firstly CS Lewis' 'The Lion, The Witch & The Wardrobe'. They did a fantastic job on this, and kept beautifully to the book, while adding a justification in the beginning for Edmund's behaviour. It is one of those rare occasions where they almost matched the images on the screen to those in my head.

My second choice has to be the wonderful 'Lord Of The Rings' trilogy. Epic and fabulous scenes spliced with credible CGI as a backdrop to the great expansive Tolkein tale that brought together a dream cast (Ian McKellan, Orlando Bloom and Viggo Mortensen). Mr Peter Jackson, I bow to thee.

Day 19 ~ Your favourite book that was turned into a movie

My second choice has to be the wonderful 'Lord Of The Rings' trilogy. Epic and fabulous scenes spliced with credible CGI as a backdrop to the great expansive Tolkein tale that brought together a dream cast (Ian McKellan, Orlando Bloom and Viggo Mortensen). Mr Peter Jackson, I bow to thee.

This. Without a doubt one of the most brilliant book to film adaptation's that I've ever seen; just hoping they match it with The Hobbit in the future.

Edited by Ben

Day 20 ~ Favourite romance book

Sorry folks, but I'm going for two again (I know, I know, I'm a big fat cheater!)

My first is 'Emotional Geology' by Linda Gillard. The reason is Rose. I was so drawn to her I ached my way through this utterly stunning book. I think a character well portrayed makes a story, and Rose is so real, so tangible that the story IS Rose. Landscape, emotions, textures, words all combine in this wonderful wonderful novel. I have adored everything I have read by Linda, but 'Emotional Geology' holds a very special place in this book reader's heart.

My second is 'The Time Traveler's Wife' by Audrey Niffenegger. Unusual in the extreme, uncomfortable reading at times and confusing often, this is another novel that is made by the central female character. Clare's love and certainty for her often lost in time partner Henry is the spine of this book. She doesn't seek external validation, because she knows for herself what is real and true to her.

I've never been one for gooey romance type novels as I find them tedious and cliched. Here are two authors who have written about developing loves that feel real and sad. Love is often sad and painful and diminishing, and I think both Linda Gillard and Audrey Niffenegger are able to show what love can be like sometimes. They don't molly coddle the reader with pretty pretty fluffy fluffy.

Day 21 ~ Favourite childhood book

A few I must mention include 'The Chronicles Of Narnia' by CS Lewis, 'Charlotte's Web' by EB White and Eva Ibbotson's 'The Great Ghost Rescue' , but I think the one that makes me heave a little girl sigh is 'Gobbolino The Witch's Cat' by Ursula Moray Williams.

From Amazon : It's the charming tale of a cat born a witch's cat but who would much rather be a kitchen cat. While his sister Sootica learns how to ride a broomstick and turn mice into toads, Gobbolino sets out to find a family to care for him and a home of his own. But Gobbolino is mistrusted wherever he goes, and blamed for myterious happenings such as the farmer's milk turning sour, and the orphanage children's gruel turning into chocolate! After many such adventures, Gobbolino finally finds the home of his dreams.

It's an 'old fashioned' story in many respects, but I adored it and longed to have a black cat with a white paw that I could called Gobolino and give a warm and loving home to. It's funny how some things never leave you, and Gobolino is one such memory.

Day 22 ~ Favourite book you own

Many moons ago I was given a stonking great hardback book called 'The Literature Of England' (GK Anderson, WE Buckler & MH Veeder).

The book starts in around 750 AD with Beowulf, and wends it's way through The Renaissance, The Restoration, The Romantics, The Victorian Age, through to the Modern Age that begins in 1914. There is background reading to each period that runs to 15-20 pages each time, and gives a thorough example of the works of the writers included, ranging from Geoffrey Chaucer (with notes on reading Middle English) and Shakespeare, to John Bunyan, Samuel Pepys, William Cowper, Wordsworth, Thomas Carlyle, the Rossettis, DH Lawrence and Ted Hughes. I think the term to use is comprehensive.

I was delighted to receive the book at the time, and consider it one of my most treasured possessions. :)

Day 22 ~ Favourite book you own

Many moons ago I was given a stonking great hardback book called 'The Literature Of England' (GK Anderson, WE Buckler & MH Veeder).

The book starts in around 750 AD with Beowulf, and wends it's way through The Renaissance, The Restoration, The Romantics, The Victorian Age, through to the Modern Age that begins in 1914. There is background reading to each period that runs to 15-20 pages each tim, and gives a thorough example of the works of the writers included, ranging from Geoffrey Chaucer (with notes on reading Middle English) and Shakespeare, to John Bunyan, Samuel Pepys, William Cowper, Wordsworth, Thomas Carlyle, the Rossettis, DH Lawrence and Ted Hughes. I think the term to use is comprehensive.

I was delighted to receive the book at the time, and consider it one of my most treasured possessions. :)

Oh my Chrissy, this sounds like a wonderful thing to own, although after my frustrations with Middle English this year I'd be avoiding that for a while. :giggle:

Day 23 ~ A book you wanted to read for a long time but still haven’t

I have a large number of books on my TBR shelves, but the one I keep wanting to read but never quite get around to is Lionel Shriver's 'We Need To Talk About Kevin'. I am intrigued by this book, and the reviews is has generated, both on and off the forum. I get the distinct feeling that it's this sense of "Will I love it? Will I hate it?" that keeps me from either giving it away or actually reading it.

There are lots of books I have had for ages that I haven't got around to reading, but this one is the only one with a pull me / repel me element.

I'm loving your daily replies to the questions Frankie posted.

Day 8 Most over rated book

I have chosen 'Captain Corelli's Mandolin' for this category. I adored Louis de Bernières' Latin American Trilogy and had high hopes for this novel, and they just were not not met.

So yes, I consider this book to be over rated somewhat! :lol:

Great post Chrissy, I started 'Captain Corelli's...' but I never finished it. :)

I agree with this. I was very disappointed with this book. The writing was good but somehow the story lagged for me. Like Paula I couldn't finish it.

I know two women who ONLY read Misery Lit, the more traumatic the better. I asked if it was the uplifting aspect of the individuals surviving such a trauma, but they gave me an emphatic "No!", and just said they enjoyed reading them.

How odd. I have read and enjoyed some Misery Lit - but only because I was rooting so hard for the poor soul and enjoying seeing them overcoming adversity and as you say, surviving. I find what your friends said rather chilling.

I think it would be my Desert Island pick too Ben, as it is so interesting. :lol:

That doesn't surprise me in the slightest; I think I might get myself a copy or something like it at some point in the future.

How odd. I have read and enjoyed some Misery Lit - but only because I was rooting so hard for the poor soul and enjoying seeing them overcoming adversity and as you say, surviving. I find what your friends said rather chilling.

I think that chilling is the right term to use. I don't understand their attitude at all with this being the ONLY stuff they read, and secondly that they actually and actively enjoy reading them, without any sense of relief/pride/joy when the victim of the misery overcomes their situation. *sigh* It truly baffles me and repels me. :(

I have a large number of books on my TBR shelves, but the one I keep wanting to read but never quite get around to is Lionel Shriver's 'We Need To Talk About Kevin'. I am intrigued by this book, and the reviews is has generated, both on and off the forum. I get the distinct feeling that it's this sense of "Will I love it? Will I hate it?" that keeps me from either giving it away or actually reading it.

There are lots of books I have had for ages that I haven't got around to reading, but this one is the only one with a pull me / repel me element.

Hi Chrissy, how are you? 'We Need To Talk About Kevin' is one of those books I like to call 'under a question mark', there is a lot of interesting elements to it but they are outweighed by the person that Kevin is, if you ever read it, I look forward to reading your thoughts hen :)

Edited by Weave

Hi Chrissy, how are you? 'We Need To Talk About Kevin' is one of those books I like to call 'under a question mark', there is a lot of interesting elements to it but they are outweighed by the person that Kevin is, if you ever read it, I look forward to reading your thoughts hen :)

One day, maybe one day! :lol:

Day 24 ~ A book you wish more people would read

Terry Pratchett's Tiffany Aching series of books, specifically leading them to the fourth book 'Wintersmith'. I am soon to read the latest/last book in this series, 'I Shall Wear Midnight' and cannot wait. :D

My reson for wishing that more would read this series is for them to enjoy the double whammy of great humour and daft situations combined with old wisdom wrapped in the wonderful central character that is Tiffany Aching herself. Terry Pratchett draws his characters so well, giving them thorough personalities with all the strengths and frailties we can all have. I think he depicts his Discworld Witches the best , and Tiffany is no exception. She starts as a young girl and we walk along side as she learns the craft to which she was destined. There are so many truth gems to be found in these books, and I defy anyone not to feel a tingle when they read of the Dark Morris.

Possibly because there are so many of them, Anisia? That's what intimidated me for a long time, but I eventually started collecting them and I think I have the bulk of the series now.

Chrissy, I'm enjoying reading all your answers to these questions. :)

I have been really enoying doing this list. I have 'gone with my gut' on the answers mostly, and have actually been surprised by some of my answers. :lol:

Day 25 ~ A character who you can relate to the most

Who do I choose? A classy heroine from a classic? A sassy girl from something more recent?

Had I had more children, I like to think I would have been a bit of a Molly Weasley; all chaos, cooking, laughter & love, but with a core of steel. She loves her family fiercely and extends her blanket of love to Harry without hesitation. Given the same set of circumstances, with an Arthur at my side and I would be delighted to be a Molly. I dread to think that some may consider me more akin to Aunt Petunia! :o

That's interesting Chrissy I had that same attract/repel instinct about this book before I read it. It was a little hard for me to get into the first chapter, but I am glad I did. I hope you do read it.

It will get read at some stage VF, it's just a matter of when! :wink:

Day 26 ~ A book that changed your opinion about something

I am choosing a book I mentioned in an earlier answer; 'Earthly Powers' by Anthony Burgess. It made me look at beliefs, especially Roman Catholicism in I way I had not considered. The book is vast and threads though so many scenes and situatiions, but it holds faith, belief and the personal at it's very centre throughout. In many ways this book galvanised my own beliefs, and certainly contributed to claryfying some of them for me.