Chrissy

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok Mona, I'll try and behave! :giggle2:

Day 4 ~ Favourite book of favourite series

'Flight Of The Stone Angel' This was the first book from the series that I had read, and was in fact about four or five books in. It was this book that went a long way to explain why the main character was the way she was. Carol O'Connell is particularly good at depicting differences in people that make them a celebration of quirkiness, but additionally has an exceptional talent with her child characters. This story in particular transports you to each scene to the extrent that you are truly breathing the same air as the characters. From this book I became a devoted fan.

Day 5 ~ A book that makes you happy

I pondered this for a while, and came up with quite a few books, but I narrowed it down to two. :D

Marge Piercy's 'Gone To Soldiers' is my first choice. It's a curious one because it is a complex and harrowing read at times, but has always left me with a sense of the stength of the female spirit no matter the trials and tribulations one is put through. Happiness comes from within, and I think this book ewminds my sense of contentment (and discontent) that all will be well.

My second is Eva Ibbotson's 'The Great Ghost Rescue'. Yes, it's a children's story, but well paced with lovely characters and a great conclusion. This is a book that showed me that I wasn't an ineffective child, that I could have a voice in the world if I so chose, and that I could make a difference. Not bad for a short book with whacky characters!

Day 6 A book that makes you sad

I think I will go with 'The Time Traveler's Wife' by Audrey Niffenegger for this spot. Although I have sympathy for the main character of Henry, it is Clare that takes my heart in this book. She is cast adrift through her love for him, and remains constant and true throughout. This is fictional love where longing and angst are the mainstay, but I found my heart aching for Clare at times, and the closing pages still brings tears to my eyes when I consider the years of missing she has endured.

I think I will go with 'The Time Traveler's Wife' by Audrey Niffenegger it is Clare that takes my heart in this book. She is cast adrift through her love for him, and remains constant and true throughout.

I remember really sympathising with her in the middle of the book when they had a slight role reversal, when she was a child he would tell her when they would be meeting, and as she became an adult she was realising at what time he had travelled back to it was sort of like the fun times were over. :(

Day 7 Most under rated book

I am going to say 'Earthly Powers' by Anthony Burgess. In his writing prime, Burgess was highly rated (Clockwork Orange etc), but I have always felt that this particular book passed by without much fanfare. I may be wrong, but I am yet to meet someone who has actually read it! :lol: It is the interwoven story of the lives of two families, as mainly seen through the eyes of the central character Kenneth Toomey. It begins just prior to the First World War, and travels many a path to bring us up to the 1980's.

I've seen Earthly Powers at many a book fair, Chrissy, and have come close to buying it a few times but something usually stops me. I think the copies I've seen haven't been in great condition and then I've reminded myself I already have a few other Burgess books to read anyway. But it's definitely on my radar and will become a must-buy now that I know you've read and enjoyed it. :)

I don't think it would be to everyone's reading taste, but I was given the book by some one who assumed I would not be able to read it. When I not only read it, but thoroughly enjoyed it I think it kinda spoilt their fun! :D It is a vast book that covers so many decades and events, but without losing the intimate and the ordinary in the telling.

Day 8 Most over rated book

I have chosen 'Captain Corelli's Mandolin' for this category. I adored Louis de Bernières' Latin American Trilogy and had high hopes for this novel, and they just were not not met.

He is an extraordinary writer who can describe a character or scene so well you can feel the heat prickling on your skin, and you get heady from the aromas the words evoke. CC'sM started really well, was lyrical and enticing, but by the end I just felt cross and antagonised ~ not a typical reaction from me toward a book. I know that at the time of reading I was definitely in a minority with how I felt, but I have never got over my reaction to the book, and the promise of a great story that was torn from my hands.

So yes, I consider this book to be over rated somewhat! :lol:

Day 8 Most over rated book

I have chosen 'Captain Corelli's Mandolin' for this category. I adored Louis de Bernières' Latin American Trilogy and had high hopes for this novel, and they just were not not met.

He is an extraordinary writer who can describe a character or scene so well you can feel the heat prickling on your skin, and you get heady from the aromas the words evoke. CC'sM started really well, was lyrical and enticing, but by the end I just felt cross and antagonised ~ not a typical reaction from me toward a book. I know that at the time of reading I was definitely in a minority with how I felt, but I have never got over my reaction to the book, and the promise of a great story that was torn from my hands.

So yes, I consider this book to be over rated somewhat! :lol:

Great post Chrissy, I started 'Captain Corelli's...' but I never finished it. :)

Day 9 ~ A book you thought you wouldn't like but ended up loving

'Midnight's Children' by Salman Rushdie. I had to read this for a course on Post-colonial literature, and was told by everyone including the tutor that it was tough to get into and was a complex and tricky read. In addition, Salman Rushdie had a 'reputation' due the furore surrounding the pblication of 'The Satanic Verses'.

Midnight's Children is a wonderful book, that uses language and structure unlike any other book I have ever read. It is vibrant, alive, compelling, surprising and endearing. You don't have to know about the history of Partition, or Indira Ghandi but a little knowledge can only enhance your enjoyment and understanding.

I have read the book a couple of times, and I recently bought the unabridged audio cds (22 in all!), and am listening to it with joy in my heart whenever I am able to get some gardening done.

Day 10 ~ Favourite classic book

I wracked my mind to think of which one was 'the one' for this, and I have chosen Bram Stoker's 'Dracula'.

Dickens was up there for me, as was DH Lawrence and HG Wells, but I can still remember the feeling I had when I first became engrossed in this story that we all believe we know. The fact that it's a epistolary novel just stunned me at first reading because it is such a complete novel. The series of letters, documents and newspaper articles come together to tell a story of such depth and mounting tension it is hard to put down. First time readers do feel they know this novel just by dint of our cultural familiarity through films and references in other texts, but until you have actually read this novel I don't think you can truly appreciate the true impact and magic.

Day 11 ~ A book you hated

I could not think of any book that I have chosen to read that I could say I hated. Some I have enjoyed more than others, and there are one or two started books that I am yet to complete, bu no hated books.

Therefore I have chosen 'A Child Called It' by David Peltzer. The trauma and misery in this book was painful to read, and this book has ensured that I now avoid 'Misery Lit' at all costs. I can read 'Room' and comment on the literary value of the text and the central premise of the story, but to read an abusive recollection is different. Although David Peltzer's story was ultimately uplifting, I see no purpose is served by my reading about any other traumatic experiences. I hated the boomk because it reflected the inhumanity too many have to face on this planet.

I pretty much feel the same way about that sort of literature. I suppose for the author it's a cathartic experience but as a mother I find it almost impossible to read or watch anything to do with child abuse though I have read I Child Called It as well but normally steer clear of that sort of thing.

I could not think of any book that I have chosen to read that I could say I hated. Some I have enjoyed more than others, and there are one or two started books that I am yet to complete, bu no hated books.

Therefore I have chosen 'A Child Called It' by David Peltzer. The trauma and misery in this book was painful to read, and this book has ensured that I now avoid 'Misery Lit' at all costs. I can read 'Room' and comment on the literary value of the text and the central premise of the story, but to read an abusive recollection is different. Although David Peltzer's story was ultimately uplifting, I see no purpose is served by my reading about any other traumatic experiences. I hated the boomk because it reflected the inhumanity too many have to face on this planet.

I agree Chrissy, it was a bit full on (but you said it more eloquently) :hug:

I know two women who ONLY read Misery Lit, the more traumatic the better. I asked if it was the uplifting aspect of the individuals surviving such a trauma, but they gave me an emphatic "No!", and just said they enjoyed reading them.

I can't remember ever reading miserylit, I have read books that are sad, eg The Boy in the Striped PJ's, but never books that dwell on the misery, life can be hard enough without depressing yourself further. Maybe it makes some readers feel good that there are others worse off than themselves

I know two women who ONLY read Misery Lit, the more traumatic the better. I asked if it was the uplifting aspect of the individuals surviving such a trauma, but they gave me an emphatic "No!", and just said they enjoyed reading them.

misery lit is such a good term for it - my friend reads them and I have always referred to them as sick lit, she keeps trying to tell me about them but I have to stick my fingers in my ears I can't bear it especially if they are non-fiction

Day 12 ~ A book you used to love but don't anymore

John Fowles 'The Magus' fits this one quite well.

I have the belief that when you read a book can have an impact on how you react to it. I first read 'The Magus' when I was in my mid teens and considered it a compelling, deep and profound read with original ideas and a challenging ending. I read it again in my twenties, having read many many books in between, and found it to be tedious and pretentious twaddle.

I think I will go with 'The Time Traveler's Wife' by Audrey Niffenegger for this spot. Although I have sympathy for the main character of Henry, it is Clare that takes my heart in this book. She is cast adrift through her love for him, and remains constant and true throughout. This is fictional love where longing and angst are the mainstay, but I found my heart aching for Clare at times, and the closing pages still brings tears to my eyes when I consider the years of missing she has endured.

I remember reading it and crying. I had read the last chapter while waiting for my son to come out of school, and then I cried while driving all the way home. He was a bit bewildered. It is a very sad story, but a book which I loved.

I cannot read books like these. I cannot deal with the sheer hatred and violence that propells some people, especially towards children.

Day 13 ~ Your favourite writer

This is almost impossible to answer with just one, but I chosen Carol O'Connell, who has written a number of books that have stayed with me months and years after my reading of them. She is an exceptional writer with a talent for combining great plots with great characters. A number of her books still haunt me. She is an author I would love to meet, just to say a simple 'Thank you'.

Day 14 ~ Favourite book by your favourite author

'Judas Child' is a harrowing read at times, but utterly wonderful in it's taut and intense telling of such a terrible story. My review at the time reads,

I actually cannot find the words to adequately describe this brilliant book. Carol O'Connell has got to be the best writer there was or is. Judas Child is a stunning, haunting and utterly extraordinary story that will grip you by the heart. This story of lost girls and a community torn is absolutely harrowing. Carol O'Connell's use of language beggars belief in all her books but in this story you will be startled by the intimacy and immediacy that pervades every word. I finished the last word of the story and was compelled to immediately start it all over. I would be astounded if I was the only one.

Day 15 ~ Favourite Male Character

Who do I choose? Charles Butler? Septimus Heap? Tony Hill? Lincoln Rhyme?

I think I will have to say Will Trent from Karin Slaughter's Atlanta series of books. The painfully dysfunctional Will. who tears my heart out every time I read him. So thoroughly abused during his childhood, the young Will never gave up hope of a happy ending. Scarred emotionally and physically he has grown up to be noble and fine, beyond what he should ever have been capable of becoming. He is dyslexic and secretive, with backbone of steel, and makes a brilliant and dogged Investigator with the Georgia Bureau.

Karin Slaughter slays me everytime with Will. I feel teary just trying to find the words to describe our Will.

Day 16 ~ Favourite female character

Although there were a few contenders, I decided that it could only be Thursday Next from Jasper FForde's wonderful series.

Over the course of the series I have grown to love this remarkable character. She takes EVERYTHING in her stride, despite being up against and striding amongst, the often fantastic and always very weird!

Her intense and unswerving love for her family and her determination to always see the right thing done makes her a hero to me.

She is at her most resourceful and innovative when she is facing a mighty foe, be that the corporation that is Goliath or the mealy mouthed jobsworths on the streets of Swindon. She is genuine, honest, dogged and loyal with an ability to short cut any bullcrap.