Frankie Reads 2011

frankie

That's alright, I thought you might have missed it but didn't feel like pressing on. I'm glad you are enjoying your re-read. And if you don't want The Slap in return and just want to send me the book, I guess I can only say that you are welcome to it and thank you so much! :) I don't think you have my details, do you?

It was lovely of you to offer, but I have The Slap on my 'to read' pile already. :) I meant to say that but I re-worded my post (it was early!) and must have edit that bit out - not doing very well, am I?! :lol: I don't have your details, but will PM you when I've finished it and get them off you then, if that's okay? :)

• Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It was lovely of you to offer, but I have The Slap on my 'to read' pile already. :) I meant to say that but I re-worded my post (it was early!) and must have edit that bit out - not doing very well, am I?! :lol: I don't have your details, but will PM you when I've finished it and get them off you then, if that's okay? :)

Well like you said, it's still early morning over there (hmph, now that I look at the time it's already past 10 AM, tut tut :D) That's sounds like a plan to me, enjoy the book, and take your time, no hurrying on my account! :hug:

- Erich Segal: The Class (I'll read anything by Segal now)

You'll get to at least one of his books some day, Love Story is on the Rory list *wink wink*

I'll get to read at least two, because I already have the sequel to Love Story. :)

- John Steinbeck: Travels with Charley (wohoo, a great author journeying through America with a dog, what's not to like?!)

I confess, I sometimes have to remind myself that it's Steinbeck, not Hemingway! The two keep getting mixed up sometimes in my head, which is utterly frustrating because, well, it's blasphemy! And it's not like I haven't read anything by either of them.

It's funny you should mention this. I have no problem telling Hemingway and Steinbeck apart, but I do get confused between Steinbeck's Travels with Charley and Graham Greene's Travels with My Aunt. I can never remember which one I own and which one I still want to get. In fact, I think I had to look up my own reading list before I posted my 'I'm jealous' comment because I had to make sure I didn't already own it. :rolleyes: Have you read The Grapes of Wrath by Steinbeck? It's brilliant. Steinbeck has made a bigger impression on me than Hemingway but I haven't read much Hemingway yet.

- Natascha Kampusch: 3,096 Days (ever since I saw this book at a bookshop at the Heathrow airport, I've wanted to buy it. It was only 3e, and was on sale, so was actually only 2e, and it looks like a brand new book!)

When I get to reading it you'll certainly be hearing about my thoughts, rest assured. Hehe, you couldn't avoid hearing my opinions on any one matter even if you wished *giggles*

I found a cheap copy at Basement Books the other day but I don't think I want it quite enough to buy it. I'll just wait for your opinions. :)

Found Peter Carey's Bliss in the small 'great finds' section, it was 50% off so had to buy it.

What was said to and by Jason?! I need immediate info. Did Jason like The Shadow of the Window? I'm afraid I shall like him less if not.

He did like it, you'll be pleased to know. So did Marieke. I was surprised because I didn't expect either of them (particularly Marieke) to like it. I'll have to watch the ep again for the details about Jason because I can't remember now. :(

- Vikas Swarup: Q&A

I must start raving about Q&A so you would read it. Honestly, it's a superb story in my opinion, very captivating and a real page turner. I read the book a few years ago and ever since then I've wanted to own a copy of it, so that should tell you something.

I still can't muster up much enthusiasm for Q&A, but I'll put on my 'maybe one day' list.

- Hunter S. Thompson: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

I knew you'd be very happy for me!! Whenever I find a book I've been dying to find and have talked to you about, I always think of you and think "I need to text Kylie!!" and then remember that's not possible. So I always have to wait til I get to the forum.

Haha. Me too! But by the time I get to the forum I've inevitably forgotten what I wanted to ask you about. :rolleyes:

- John Knowles: A Separate Peace (a Rory read, hella cheap)

Awesome. I have this on my TBR pile too (did I buy it when you were here?) Maybe we could read this together, along with all the others we have planned...

The one with the nice owner who'd visited Finland * coolio emoticon* I might be wrong, but I have this idea in my head that I found the book and was going to buy it, but I'd found too many and we were discussing how I couldn't haul all those books to Finland and then I gave up on this book and some others. And then you decided you'd buy it. Sound familiar?

I thought it had been the bookfair but now that you've mentioned the story it all sounds very familiar.

- Sharyn McCrumb: Bimbos of the Death Sun

It's a memorable title, yes :lol: It's a mystery novel that takes place at a science fiction convention. One of the fantasy authors is being a real a-hole to everyone and ends up getting killed during the convention.

Sounds excellent!

- Philip K. Dick: Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Hehe, you must've been sweating bullets, seeing him finding the title and contemplating buying it. I bet you had to use all your will-power to restain yourself from shouting out "don't buy it, I want it!"

I think I told him later that I would have tried to talk him into giving it to me. Hehe. I wanted it soooo badly. I actually think I noticed only that it was from the SF Masterworks series (they have similar covers). Because I want them all, I toddled over to see which one it was and was stunned to see what he'd just put back. It's another dystopian book.

I've seen the movie already and I think I had trouble following it, but I think the book will be easier to understand.

The following books were all on sale, for 50 cents each:

- Aldous Huxley: Point Counter Point

I bought it mostly because I thought it might be on one of the lists (which is not the case *bleh* ) and because it was only 50 cents. Have you ever read any Huxleys?

I've only read Brave New World so far, which was excellent. He has a couple of other dystopians as well.

- Nick Hornby: About a Boy

I've read it before, and it's one of my (three) favorites :)

For some reason I'm not very interested in reading this one. I've seen the movie a couple of times and loved it. Maybe that's why; I feel like I know the story already and perhaps the book wouldn't add much (which is crazy, right? The book is always better!)

- Elizabeth Gaskell: North and South

I have some qualms about this, because if I remember correctly, it's about the industrial revolution and I'm not expecting to be very intrigued by it...

That's exactly how I feel about it! I've had this book on my TBR pile for years but just can't get enthusiastic about reading it, for the very reasons you've mentioned.

I don't capitalize 'frankie' because it's not my real name, as simple as that. And yes, it's been intentional, I'm sorry to say: it would be more hilarious if I was dyslexic only when regarding my username :D I've noticed that you always use the capital letter and I've been wondering why, but now I know. Don't worry, it's all good, frankie of Frankie, capitalize it all you want!

I wonder if I can capitalize on that...

:giggle2: What a bad joke!! Lolerai would be ashamed.

Hehe.

That's interesting. Were you taught to not capitalise names if they're not actual names? We would never do that. We would capitalise it regardless because it's a proper noun.

I remember the episodes in which Proust was referred to, Max does make it sound like everybody should just go ahead and read it. And what a beautiful copy he had! Proust has a reputation of writing very, very long sentences, that go all over the place. When I found my copy of Remembrance of Things Past 1, I read the first few pages and to my surprise, it wasn't that bad at all. It was very lyrical in my opinion.

I remember Lorelai complaining that the first sentence went for 20 pages. :giggle2: I recently looked at a copy of the book and opened it specifically to see how long the first sentence was...it wasn't very long at all. But I understand Proust generally writes long sentences. I won't mind as long as I can keep the thread of where he's going and I don't have to go back to the beginning and re-read it.

^ Will reply to those later, must now fess up.

Yesterday I went to a secondhand bookshop to do a little comfort shopping. They'd rearranged their English lit section and the paperback section so either they'd gotten loads of great books or then they'd organised them in a way that the more appealing ones were very visible. Eventhough I always try to look everywhere, behind all the rows of books etc. I got these:

- Kathy Reichs: Death du Jour

- Kathy Reichs: Cross Bones

- Karin Slaughter: Triptych

- Stephen King: The Dark Half

- Stephen King: Salem's Lot

- Stephen King: Christine

I'm very happy with them, they're all in great condition, small paperbacks and in English :smile2:

Today I had to get a prescribtion renewed and after that I went to a charityshop just for fun, to see if they had any great books. Their book drawers were a real mess, there were clothes hangers everywhere and books in nasty piles. Since I wasn't in a hurry and didn't mind the task, I took it upon myself to arrange the drawers nicely and I think I did a pretty good job. I also found books that I wouldn't have otherwise found. Only one of the titles was 1e, the others were 3 books for 1e, so I got them all for 4e only!

- a book diary (I had to get it, because it was so cheap, I could finally try it out and see what it would be like to keep this sort of a record of the books I read. It's no replacement to BCF, of course :cool:

- Iain Banks: Wasp Factory

- David Bodanis: E = mc2: A Biography of the World's Most Famous Equation (in English)

- Nathaniel Hawthorne: The Scarlet Letter (in English)

- Tommy Hellsten: Ihminen tavattavissa

- Colleen McCullough: Tim

- Martti Paloheimo: Ihmissuhteita

- Pirkko Saisio: Elämänmeno

- Anne Tyler: Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant

- Mats Wahl: Ruotsia idiooteille

An excellent haul, Frankie! :D

- a book diary (I had to get it, because it was so cheap, I could finally try it out and see what it would be like to keep this sort of a record of the books I read. It's no replacement to BCF, of course :cool:

What's it like? I really like the idea of one but I think I'd be rubbish at keeping it! I've seen a Moleskine one that is really nice!

Oooh, have you read much King? I really need too. I've read Duma Key but he has so many novels that I've had recommended from friends.

As for Hawthorne's The Scarlet Letter, I've never read it but there was an extract in the front of one of my A Level texts, I forget which one, and I thought it sounded nice, so it might be worth checking it out at some point.

Nice!

- David Bodanis: E = mc2: A Biography of the World's Most Famous Equation (in English)

- Colleen McCullough: Tim

I occasionally think about getting a book diary but I don't think I'd be very good at keeping it up-to-date. And I'd also be too scared of making a mistake and ruining it.

The Bodanis book sounds interesting!

One of these days I'll get around to reading The Scarlet Letter. It's been on my TBR pile way too long.

And yay for the Australian author! :)

Hi Frankie,

I have been faithful to HobNobs for many years but I have to tell you I have fell in love with another biscuit. It happened yesterday. I had gone with my daughter to check out Lincoln University and there they were on a plate being given away free.

Such an impudent little rectangular biscuit with rounded edges, oaty and crunchy but not brittle. How could I resist?

They are called Bronte Golden Crunch Biscuits.

http://www.parentsown.co.uk/biscuits/bronte-golden-crunch-biscuits

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/bronte-golden-crunch-biscuits-6397837

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

- Erich Segal: The Class (I'll read anything by Segal now)

You'll get to at least one of his books some day, Love Story is on the Rory list *wink wink*

I'll get to read at least two, because I already have the sequel to Love Story.

Mwahahahaha! :D

- John Steinbeck: Travels with Charley (wohoo, a great author journeying through America with a dog, what's not to like?!)

It's funny you should mention this. I have no problem telling Hemingway and Steinbeck apart, but I do get confused between Steinbeck's Travels with Charley and Graham Greene's Travels with My Aunt. I can never remember which one I own and which one I still want to get. In fact, I think I had to look up my own reading list before I posted my 'I'm jealous' comment because I had to make sure I didn't already own it. :rolleyes: Have you read The Grapes of Wrath by Steinbeck? It's brilliant. Steinbeck has made a bigger impression on me than Hemingway but I haven't read much Hemingway yet.

Those two are easy to confuse, such similar titles! It doesn't help that in a bookshop you'll remember that you have one of them, but just don't remember which one... :rolleyes: I've read Grapes of Wrath, it was one of our required readings on one of my English lit courses. I enjoyed it and have re-read it once, quite voluntarily, but it is a rather depressing read, one that I shouldn't read too often. Steinbeck has a gift, that's for sure.

- Natascha Kampusch: 3,096 Days (ever since I saw this book at a bookshop at the Heathrow airport, I've wanted to buy it. It was only 3e, and was on sale, so was actually only 2e, and it looks like a brand new book!)

I found a cheap copy at Basement Books the other day but I don't think I want it quite enough to buy it. I'll just wait for your opinions.

It was readable and engaging, but nothing out of the ordinary. I mean, I've read far better true crime books before. However, this is the first time I got to read a kidnapped person's account of her many years of imprisonment, so in this way it was a unique story to me. I wouldn't go out of my way to recommend it to you, meaning you shouldn't go out of your way to obtain a copy.

Found Peter Carey's Bliss in the small 'great finds' section, it was 50% off so had to buy it.

He did like it, you'll be pleased to know. So did Marieke. I was surprised because I didn't expect either of them (particularly Marieke) to like it. I'll have to watch the ep again for the details about Jason because I can't remember now.

Yay! :smile2: I miss Jason. When I get home, I think I'll watch an episode or two of the highly enjoyable FTBC, which you've so graciously recorded and sent me :friends0: I'd rather like to have a poster of him on my wall. Do they publish a FTBC magazine? Do they do posters of the panelists and guests? If so, buy me a copy, would you??

- Vikas Swarup: Q&A

I must start raving about Q&A so you would read it. Honestly, it's a superb story in my opinion, very captivating and a real page turner. I read the book a few years ago and ever since then I've wanted to own a copy of it, so that should tell you something.

I still can't muster up much enthusiasm for Q&A, but I'll put on my 'maybe one day' list.

Even after I raved about it?! You'll be sorry....

- Philip K. Dick: Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

I think I told him later that I would have tried to talk him into giving it to me. Hehe. I wanted it soooo badly. I actually think I noticed only that it was from the SF Masterworks series (they have similar covers). Because I want them all, I toddled over to see which one it was and was stunned to see what he'd just put back. It's another dystopian book.

I've seen the movie already and I think I had trouble following it, but I think the book will be easier to understand.

I told a friend about finding this book and he said that it's Dick's worst novel :rolleyes: And I think he might've gone as far to say that the movie is better. We'll just have to read it for ourselves and see.

- Nick Hornby: About a Boy

I've read it before, and it's one of my (three) favorites :)

For some reason I'm not very interested in reading this one. I've seen the movie a couple of times and loved it. Maybe that's why; I feel like I know the story already and perhaps the book wouldn't add much (which is crazy, right? The book is always better!)

Maybe the book is different from the story? I have this notion that someone mentioned something like that in some other discussion on the book. Hm!

- Elizabeth Gaskell: North and South

I have some qualms about this, because if I remember correctly, it's about the industrial revolution and I'm not expecting to be very intrigued by it...

That's exactly how I feel about it! I've had this book on my TBR pile for years but just can't get enthusiastic about reading it, for the very reasons you've mentioned.

Maybe we could do a group reading? Besides, why should the industrial revolution be so boring? You and I have both read Grapes of Wrath, which isn't exactly the same thing, but it's also about people finding less and less work for themselves, and going hungry and penniless.

Kylie wrote: "That's interesting. Were you taught to not capitalise names if they're not actual names? We would never do that. We would capitalise it regardless because it's a proper noun."

No. Of course I've been taught to capitalise all names! And normally I would capitalise the name Frankie. See, I just did. But because it's not my own real name, I don't capitalise it on the forum.

Kylie wrote: "I remember Lorelai complaining that the first sentence went for 20 pages. I recently looked at a copy of the book and opened it specifically to see how long the first sentence was...it wasn't very long at all. But I understand Proust generally writes long sentences. I won't mind as long as I can keep the thread of where he's going and I don't have to go back to the beginning and re-read it."

Lorelai is such an exaggerator :D Tut tut!

An excellent haul, Frankie!

Thanks Jänet! I'll see what you like of my last haul, which is a great deal bigger than the last one :giggle2:

What's it like? I really like the idea of one but I think I'd be rubbish at keeping it! I've seen a Moleskine one that is really nice!

I'm at my hometown right now so don't have the book diary with me, but from what I remember, it's got all the pretty basic questions, and it's either one page or a two-page for each read book. The questions are 'Which book, how many pages, when did you start/finish it, what did you think of it, what kind of mood were you in when you read it and how did it affect your mood," etc etc. I have to confess I haven't started writing in it yet, and had quite forgotten about it :blush:

Oooh, have you read much King? I really need too. I've read Duma Key but he has so many novels that I've had recommended from friends.

As for Hawthorne's The Scarlet Letter, I've never read it but there was an extract in the front of one of my A Level texts, I forget which one, and I thought it sounded nice, so it might be worth checking it out at some point.

I think I've read about 10-15 King titles (including about 4 Richard Bachmans), and they're mostly from the 80s or 90s, I'm not a fan of his most recent work. My favorites (and the ones I can recommend) are, in no particular order: Rose Madder, Needful Things, Green Mile, Misery, Carrie, It, The Stand, Rage (RB), The Long Walk (RB), Cujo, Dolores Claiborne.

Funny you should mention The Scarlet Letter, because I brought the book with me to Nurmes, in case I wouldn't take to Lolita by Nabokov. I really didn't know what it was about (I guess I should've figured it out from the title!), but then read the blurb and it sounds intriguing. We'll see who actually gets to reading it first ;)

I have Christine - Stephen King on my TBR pile! be interesting to see what you make of it and you'll probably get round ot reading it before me too!

I've read the book once before, but that was more than a decade ago. I remember enjoying it, and the main character is one of King's characters that I've most sympathised with, he's such a shy and sweet person in the beginning. I can still remember how King describes him. I don't remember much about the plot, just some of the most basic twists, and I've been meaning to re-read it for quite a while now. I'm so happy to now have my own copy :)

Hi Frankie,

I have been faithful to HobNobs for many years but I have to tell you I have fell in love with another biscuit. It happened yesterday. I had gone with my daughter to check out Lincoln University and there they were on a plate being given away free.

Such an impudent little rectangular biscuit with rounded edges, oaty and crunchy but not brittle. How could I resist?

They are called Bronte Golden Crunch Biscuits.

http://www.parentsow...crunch-biscuits

http://www.myfitness...iscuits-6397837

So while I've been gone, you've been cheating on HobNobs, have you?! :irked:

:lol: I'll have to see if I can find them in the grocerystores here in Finland. I'm not getting my hopes up, seeing as they stopped stocking the HobNobs and all :irked: And thank you for providing my very own dietary plan :lol:

Edited by frankie

Okay, now recording my last three book hauls.

Last week I went to the library to take some books of mine to the free book trolley, in order to see if I could find something interesting in exchange. And I did. I got Hell's Prisoner: The Shocking True Story Of An Innocent Man Jailed For Eleven Years In Indonesia's Most Notorious Prisons by Christopher V. V. Parnell. As some of you already know, I'm very much into true crime, although in this book the real crime was the an innocent man was jailed... Another thing that draw me to this book was that Parnell was born in Sydney, Australia :cool: Eventhough I was practically skint last week, I also took a look at the 'books for sale' section at the library, and found a copy of Susan Hill's I'm the King of the Castle! Woooohoo!

However, this is not all, I'm afraid.

Last week I visited my friend in Lieksa, which is a town slightly bigger than my hometown Nurmes. I've never been to their library but decided to visit it now, and I even took with me some 6 books to donate to their free book trolley. The free book trolley was a bit of a disappointment, my friend had told me that it's always full of books but this was not the case when we went there. (And I was soo annoyed that they have this free book trolley, when the library of Nurmes doesn't!) However, they had a book sale and I was happy to discover that I could get as many books as I could fit in a plastic bag, only for 5e! I was in a bit of a hurry because I had to catch my train to Nurmes in 30 minutes, so I just started grabbing every book that seemed interesting and told my friend to shove them in the plastic bag. I found 21 books I wanted and was afraid they wouldn't fit the bag but they did, albeit the bag seemed like it would give in at any moment. I then went to pay for the book bag and asked the library person if I'd gotten too many books (the bag was literally bulging with books!) and if I should pay extra, but she was really nice and said 'heck no, you could fit a few more in there! You just take as many as you like'. What a nice obliging person! That's the way I'm going to be if I ever get to work in a library.

I got these:

Fiction:

Philip K. Dick: The Transmigration of Timothy Archer (I've never read any Philip K. Dick, but it was kind of for 'free' so what the heck)

Gerd Brantenberg: The Daughters of Egalia (a feminist novel. From wikipedia: " published in 1977 in Norway. In the novel the female is defined as the normal and the male as the abnormal, subjugated sex. All words that are normally in masculine form are given in a feminine form, and vice versa.")

V. S. Naipaul: In a Free State

Henry James: The Europeans

Joseph Heller: Something Happened

Michael Chabon: The Mysteries of Pittsburgh

F. Scott Fitzgerald: This Side of Paradise

Viveca Sundvall: Mimmi ja miljonääri Mårtensson (Mimi and the Millionaire Mårtensson?) (this is part of a children's series I loved reading as a child)

Non-fiction:

Giacomo Casanova: Memoirs

Ritva Haavikko: Rivien takaa (Research on modern Finnish literature based on interviews of Finnish authors)

Haavi: Suomalaista kirjallisuutta suolapytyssä ja muutakin kulttuurimurkinaa (short stories about Finnish literature and culture)

Thomas Mann: A Man and His Dog (wohoo doggy stories!)

Suzanne Abraham & Derek Llewellyn-Jones: Eating Disorders

Marianne Cederblad: Lasten ja nuorten psykiatria (psychiatry of children and young adults)

Psykologia 4: Ihmisen toiminnan neuropsykologia (a high school text book I used to read for psychology classes, about neuropsychology)

Martti Rapola: Kieli elää (stories and texts about language)

Kai Laitinen: Puolitiessä - esseitä (essays about literature)

Arvo Lehtovaara & Pirkko Saarinen: Nuorten mielikirjallisuus (a research on what the young Finnish people read, where they get their books and what are their favorites! This is a book from the 70s but it's hella interesting!!)

Angela Carter: Wayward Girls & Wicked Women

Insight Guides: Canada

Katarina Haavio & Satu Koskimies: 50-luvun teinit - päiväkirjat ja kirjeet 1957-1960 (a book about the two authors being teenagers in the 1950s: their diaries and letters 1957-1960. I already read about 20 pages and it's so interesting! I'd like to travel back in time to the 50s when everything was so different and more 'genuine' if one can say so)

All this for 5e! :smile2:

Edited by frankie

And that, my friends, was not all, either :blush:

Later that day I came to Nurmes, and then I went to our local library with my parents, I visit there everytime I'm in Nurmes, it's like my second home. And I discovered that they now have their very own free book trolley as well! Yay for progress! :exc:

I went to look at the books that were on sale and found some great ones. The only downside is that in the Nurmes library, all the books are 1e per book, whereas in, for example, Joensuu they are only 0,2e. However, I usually go with my parents (my Dad likes to buy books too, only he doesn't have any time to read them because of his work and other stuff he likes to do on his free time. I've asked him why he still continues buying books when he never reads them, and he told me that he'll read them when he retires, which will happen in a couple of years. So yes, I guess I have a book hoarding father! Wohoo!) and they usually offer to pay for the books I find there and want to buy :blush:

I got these, all non-fiction:

Jacob Burckhardt: The Civilisation of the Renaissance in Italy

Lytton Strachey: Queen Victoria (biography, in English!)

Pentti Holappa: Tuntosarvilla (a Finnish poet's essays on different authors and their work)

L. Ron Hubbard: Scientology - The Fundamentals of Thought (I couldn't believe it when I saw this book in the sale, just had to get it!)

Manuel Komroff: Abraham Lincoln (biography, in English!)

Aura Louhija: Hans Christian - Kertomus satukuninkaan nuoruusvuosista (a story about Hans Christian Andersen's childhood)

Octave Aubry: Napoleon (biography)

Denmark: History (in English!)

I'm mighty pleased! Only problem is these books weigh a ton and when I get back to Joensuu, I have to carry them for about 4 blocks and it'll just kill me :D

I also seriously need to buy a new bookcase. I went looking for one last week, in this cheap secondhand furniture store, but didn't have any look, will go to another shop sometime this week, keep your fingers crossed I'll have better luck next time!

Wow frankie! You are on a book buying roll .... I'm so proud! :giggle2: I hope you enjoy them all hun :hug:

And you wrote that even before I mentioned any of the books I've bought in the last week :lol:

I think I've read about 10-15 King titles (including about 4 Richard Bachmans), and they're mostly from the 80s or 90s, I'm not a fan of his most recent work. My favorites (and the ones I can recommend) are, in no particular order: Rose Madder, Needful Things, Green Mile, Misery, Carrie, It, The Stand, Rage (RB), The Long Walk (RB), Cujo, Dolores Claiborne.

Funny you should mention The Scarlet Letter, because I brought the book with me to Nurmes, in case I wouldn't take to Lolita by Nabokov. I really didn't know what it was about (I guess I should've figured it out from the title!), but then read the blurb and it sounds intriguing. We'll see who actually gets to reading it first ;)

Oooh, thank you for the King recommendations, I've always wanted to read some of his better stuff but it's often a wonder where to start!

Ah as for The Scarlet Letter I don't own a copy so it's more likely you'll read it first, but I'll get myself a copy one day, I'm sure. :smile2:

Also great hauls.. as usual. :giggle:

Edited by Ben

Yes yes yes! I got myself a bookcase!! A used one, for 8 euros only, and the delivery cost me only 5 euros because I'm a student. The guy took 2-3 minutes to consider whether they'd be able to bring it over today, and I was keeping my fingers crossed, then he went to check the delivery guys, and finally he came back and said 'yes'. So in 3 hours I should have my new (used) bookcase, that cost me 13e in total. I also bought this silly 'bookcase', that one's supposed to use horizontally, but I'm gonna go for the vertical version and stack some books in it. I hope it'll fit next to my current bookcase, in the space where there are now three cardboard boxes. I'll take before and after pics :D Happy day! I've been dreaming about a new bookcase for ages!! :exc:

Thanks Jänet! I'll see what you like of my last haul, which is a great deal bigger than the last one :giggle2:

You've really got this book-buying business down to a fine art! :giggle2:

Does it have anything to do with staying with Kylie?!!

Yes yes yes! I got myself a bookcase!! A used one, for 8 euros only, and the delivery cost me only 5 euros because I'm a student. The guy took 2-3 minutes to consider whether they'd be able to bring it over today, and I was keeping my fingers crossed, then he went to check the delivery guys, and finally he came back and said 'yes'. So in 3 hours I should have my new (used) bookcase, that cost me 13e in total. I also bought this silly 'bookcase', that one's supposed to use horizontally, but I'm gonna go for the vertical version and stack some books in it. I hope it'll fit next to my current bookcase, in the space where there are now three cardboard boxes. I'll take before and after pics :D Happy day! I've been dreaming about a new bookcase for ages!! :exc:

Aww, it's really sweet how excited you are! :friends3: I'm looking forward to the pictures!

great pile :D

Thanks! :friends3:

Oooh, thank you for the King recommendations, I've always wanted to read some of his better stuff but it's often a wonder where to start!

Ah as for The Scarlet Letter I don't own a copy so it's more likely you'll read it first, but I'll get myself a copy one day, I'm sure. :smile2:

Also great hauls.. as usual. :giggle:

You're welcome Ben, although I think perhaps I gave you too many choices :lol: I should just act like a dictator and tell you to read Misery! For example. Or Cujo. Or It. Or The Stand... hehehe!

You've really got this book-buying business down to a fine art! :giggle2:

Does it have anything to do with staying with Kylie?!!

:lol: I suppose Kylie has been a good/bad influence on me, yes :giggle2:

Aww, it's really sweet how excited you are! :friends3: I'm looking forward to the pictures!

I truly feel like I'm a kiddie and it's Christmas Eve! (that's when us Finns get our pressies from Santa) :smile2:

Pics as promised! First three pics are old bookcase with cardboard box additions as it was, and the new bookcases. Then we have the old bookcase with the new shelves on top and next to it, and then the new used bookcase of mine :smile2:

post-4458-0-29131600-1312907703_thumb.jpg

post-4458-0-76937400-1312907710_thumb.jpg

post-4458-0-19121500-1312907723_thumb.jpg

post-4458-0-08141400-1312907737_thumb.jpg

post-4458-0-29415600-1312907750_thumb.jpg

Thanks Sofia! :D It makes all the difference in the world, having my books all shelved nicely. And it's weird, I used to have that blue armchair where the new bookcase is, I had to move it closer to the TV set so I could fit the bookcase there, but my livingroom looks much more spacious now, eventhough there's more furniture around now! Very weird, but suits me, sir :D