Claire's book list 2011

chesilbeach

Great! I was worried maybe her YA writing wouldn't be as good, but I'll definitely add this to my wishlist :D

I agree with Chesil, even though its YA, it doesn't read like it because of the way Kelley Armstrong writes it :)

Edited by Weave

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finally finished I Think I Love You by Allison Pearson yesterday. It is one of my reading groups selections for this month, so I was determined to finish it, but I have to admit it felt like a bit of a slog at times. I don't think it helped that I didn't read the blurb, but I'd seen Pearson interviewed about the book somewhere, and had somehow got it into my head that it was a non-fiction memoir not a novel, and the first chapter is written in first person, and it didn't occur to me that the name of the character wasn't the same as the author!

The novel itself is in two parts. The first part starts in 1970s South Wales with the lead character, Petra, going through the awkward adolescent years, made easier (and harder) by her obsessive adoration for pop teen idol, David Cassidy. Meanwhile in London, Bill is an English graduate who has had to take a job as a writer for a David Cassidy fan magazine. In the second half of the book, the story moves to the late 1990s and we catch up with Petra and find out where her life has taken her.

There were some really good things about the story. I completely identified with the teenage idolisation of a pop star, as well as the story of how difficult it is to fit in as a teenager, and the things we do to each other in order to try and keep our status with our crowd. It also shows how some of this need to meet the expectations of those around us carries on into our twenties, as we see the relationships Bill has with his girlfriend, boss and colleagues.

I can completely empathise with Petra's character in the second half of the book as well, as I'm about the same age as the character now, and I know what it's like to look back and assess what you've done with your life so far.

I mentioned earlier that at times it felt like a slog to read, and as I sit here thinking about it, I'm not sure why. The chapters were quite long, which I think contributed to that feeling, and although they alternate between Petra and Bill, I think I may have got on better if they'd been shorter as I felt that it took too long to get back into that characters story each time it switched.

Overall, I liked it - probably the second half more than the first, as although I could associate with the teenage love of a pop star (I'm not telling who mine was ;)) the period was about 10 years too early for me to completely immerse myself in it.

Well, after Charm's fantastic review, I couldn't resist getting A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness.

I started it yesterday afternoon, and I couldn't put it down. After a very late night (well early morning really) and having done only a little bit of the housework I was intending to do this weekend, I finished it this afternoon.

I absolutely loved it.

I loved the world created, where witches, daemons and vampires live amongst humans. I loved the historical aspects that drew the story together for both the lead character, Diana, and the reader, mixed up with science and mythology, creating a rich, expansive story, that took its time to reveal itself. I loved how each characters introduction made you think they were going to be a certain stereotype, and then each gradually revealed themselves to be much deeper and complex than at first glance. I loved the strength of the female characters, obviously Diana as the heroine, but all the others from Sarah and Em to Ysabeau and Marthe. I loved the heart stopping romance. I love the cliffhanger at the end which means I can't wait to read the next part.

But, unlike everyone else, it seems, I'm not 100% sure about Matthew Clairmont.

Have we really seen the true man yet? He's not my idea of a knight in shining armour, to be honest, and I don't think I trust him yet.

I'm happy to be convinced otherwise though.

Edited by chesilbeach

Fantastic! I'm chuffed! :jump: It's always nice when someone else endorses your views on a book :D I'm so glad you enjoyed it so much and fully understand how you couldn't put it down :lol: I replyed to your post on the DOW thread.

Nevermind about the housework, it'll be there next weekend ;)

The Gathering is the next book in the Darkest Powers series by one of my favourite writers, Kelley Armstrong. Although it's the fourth book in the series, it's sort of a new beginning, as Armstrong introduces us to a new location and a whole new set of characters.

The main character is Maya, an adopted Native American teenager, who lives in a small remote town on Vancouver Island, that is owned by a medical research company. With a population of only a couple of hundred people, Maya's school has only 68 children and everyone knows everyone else, and everyone else's business.

The book opens with the death of Maya's best friend Serena, who drowns in the calm waters of the local lake - strange considering she was captain of the swim team. Now Maya has started noticing how she seems to have a strong affinity with animals, and the ability to heal them quicker than anyone else, especially the cougars who seem to be taking an unusual interest in her.

When a reporter appears in town and starts asking questions, it starts a chain of events that cause Maya to question her friends and neighbours in her home town and the truth of her heritage.

I can't deny it, this was probably one of my most anticipated books of the year, and I loved it. There's something about Armstrong's storytelling that captivates and keeps you turning the pages desperately wanting to know what coming next. For fans who've read the previous books, there are clues in the writing that might lead you to draw some conclusions about what is happening, but they certainly wouldn't exclude a new reader coming to the series with no previous knowledge of the world the book is set in.

The book starts in a considered and almost sedate pace, which gradually picks up, leading to a tension filled, action packed, thrilling denouement. But, beware! The ending is sudden (especially if, like me, you're reading on a Kindle and haven't been keeping an eye on the % bar at the bottom of the screen and have no idea how close to the end you are) and finishes this installment on a huge cliff hanger leaving you desperate to want the next book to read right now, and knowing it's going to be at least another year before the story will continue!

For all Kelley Armstrong fans - you will not be disappointed; get this book as soon as you can!

My copy arrived this morning! :)

Nevermind about the housework, it'll be there next weekend ;)

Aargh! Don't remind me! :doh:

My copy arrived this morning! :)

I'm so jealous, Paula, you've got both this one and A Discovery of Witches to look forward to! :lol:

I'm desperately trying to hold off getting City of Fallen Angels before the weekend, as I'm reserved a day in the long weekend for reading it in one session. It means I'm "making do" with other books I'd be delighted to be reading in normal circumstances :rolleyes:

Edited by chesilbeach

Aargh! Don't remind me! :doh:

I'm so jealous, Paula, you've got both this one and A Discovery of Witches to look forward to! :lol:

I'm desperately trying to hold off getting City of Fallen Angels before the weekend, as I'm reserved a day in the long weekend for reading it in one session. It means I'm "making do" with other books I'd be delighted to be reading in normal circumstances :rolleyes:

I hope you get 'City of Fallen Angels' for your weekend hen, I am still reading 'City of Bones' :)

Been "organising" my books this morning, so have updated all my databases, spreadsheets, wishlists, TBR lists, bookmarks etc., so everything in nice, shiny order!

I've updated the first post on this thread to include my TBR list as well now, not just the numbers outstanding if anyone fancies having a look at it. Having splashed out on quite a few books on the Amazon Kindle Spring Spectacular sale (11 books for £21), I hoping not to buy any for a while now, except a couple of my eagerly awaited soon to be published books from favourite authors or series.

Wow, thats some lists, I never find the time to be that organised, and when I do I feel I should be reading instead. I'm struggling to read a book a fortnight at the moment, my husband has taken a job in the Middle East so is away for 10 weeks at a time, so all parenting and pet duties fall to me, so rarely in bed before 12, and my youngest always likes to make sure ~I'm awake by 8am, sweet boy x

Anyhow, thats just me waffling and feeling sorry for myself! I wanted to ask what you thought of Finding Sky? Debating to add it to my bedside TBR pile!

Thx

Hi chaliepud, I'm in between books at the moment, and can't make up my mind to read next, and I usually find organising helps me decide! Especially when it's a bank holiday and I've got four luxuriant days for the weekend ;)

I actually liked Finding Sky quite a lot. It had been tempted me in the bookshops for a while, but I was a bit put off by the cover which seemed like a cover by numbers in order to appeal to the current trend for YA fantasy novels. Although it's definitely a genre piece with characters with supernatural powers, it actually turned out a bit different from the vampire/werewolf style of book, and was a bit more of a thriller with fantasy mixed in. I liked the fact that although it was set in the States, it was set around a British girl moving over there with her family, and as it was written by a British author, it gave it a nice flavour of both cultures. So overall, there was enough of the similarities with the YA supernatural books but with a different twist on the usual characters and plot to make it an entertaining read. I've had a look at what the follow up book will be, and while it's based around the same story, I like what the author had to say about how she's going to take the reader somewhere completely different for book two. Better than average for the genre, but not quite meeting the best for me.

Human Traces by Sebastian Faulks

The Hungry Tide by Amitav Ghosh

The Welsh Girl by Peter Ho Davies

Guernica by Dave Boling

Sea of Poppies by Amitav Ghosh

Remarkable Creatures by Tracy Chevalier

I have these on my TBR as well so look forward to hearing what you think of them :)

Thanks for that, will definitely give it a go at some point soon then, a quite like a lighter/YA book in between the heavier ones.

Great to see Sebastian Faulkes Human Traces and Birdsong in your TBR list, they are both in my top 5 books ever with Human Traces being number 1, I've not enjoyed many of his other books but these two are amazing reads, full of depth and feeling and highly educational too, I do like a book that teaches me something (though not quite enough to read non fiction...)

Been "organising" my books this morning, so have updated all my databases, spreadsheets, wishlists, TBR lists, bookmarks etc., so everything in nice, shiny order!

I've updated the first post on this thread to include my TBR list as well now, not just the numbers outstanding if anyone fancies having a look at it.

Yay for organising books! The lists are looking good. By crikey you read fast, girl! :D

I have these on my TBR as well so look forward to hearing what you think of them :)

As seems to have become common practise now, my real books look less tempting than my ebooks when I come to decide on which book to start each time, so unfortunately, these sit mournfully on my shelf waiting to be picked up. I'll get round to them at some point though :giggle2:

Thanks for that, will definitely give it a go at some point soon then, a quite like a lighter/YA book in between the heavier ones.

Great to see Sebastian Faulkes Human Traces and Birdsong in your TBR list, they are both in my top 5 books ever with Human Traces being number 1, I've not enjoyed many of his other books but these two are amazing reads, full of depth and feeling and highly educational too, I do like a book that teaches me something (though not quite enough to read non fiction...)

I've enjoyed a few other Faulks books, and Birdsong is the one that virtually everyone I know has recommended, but just haven't quite got round to it yet ... (see above ;))

Yay for organising books! The lists are looking good. By crikey you read fast, girl! :D

Nothing like a good bit of organising books for a satisfying start to a weekend, eh? :lol: I don't read as fast as some other people I've seen on the forum, and thankfully Raven has stopped citing me as the fastest reader around, although he does seem to be teasing you quite a bit, I've noticed ;)! But, yes, I have no life and I am a fast reader.

Have read a few books during the last week, and will be back later to update my list and offer some brief reviews.

Edited by chesilbeach

Nothing like a good bit of organising books for a satisfying start to a weekend, eh? :lol: I don't read as fast as some other people I've seen on the forum, and thankfully Raven has stopped citing me as the fastest reader around, although he does seem to be teasing you quite a bit, I've noticed ;)! But, yes, I have no life and I am a fast reader.

Have read a few books during the last week, and will be back later to update my list and offer some brief reviews.

Well, I have no life either, but I don't read that fast! Mind you, I get too easily distracted by other things. It's kind of disgraceful really. My Mum has only started reading books in the last few months and is a far more disciplined reader than me. huh.gif

Maybe now that you've mentioned this business with Raven he'll switch back to giving you grief. giggle.gif He really is a stirrer, isn't he?

So here are my thoughts on the books I've read this week ...

It's no secret that I absolutely adored The Crimson Petal and The White, so I was delighted to find that Faber had written some short stories set in the same period for people who were either main characters in the originals or perhaps just hovering on the sidelines. The Kindle version of this collection, The Apple: New Crimson Petal Stories was in the Spring Spectacular offer and an absolute steal for just over £1. However, the short stories didn't win me over as much as the novel did. I enjoyed them but I just didn't get the same sense of period and place which the novel allowed by to immerse myself in. Having said that, the final story in the collection was a triumph. Seemingly unrelated to the original book, the young narrator gradually reveals the connection, and the continuing life story of one of the Crimson Petal characters. Although describing a different time, it again captures the London of the period, and was a wholly satisfying story.

The fourth of the Mortal Instruments series, City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra Clare, was my next read. Loved it, loved it, loved it! Reading the next chapters in the lives of the characters, but starting to focus more on the wider group rather than just Jace and Clary, I really enjoyed reading it. Can't wait for book five next year - it's just too long to wait! :lol:

I've really enjoyed reading the Morganville Vampire series by Rachel Caine, and another bargain in the Kindle sale I couldn't resist was Ill Wind the first book in her Weather Warden series. I think these books are aimed more at the adult market than the YA, and the first few were published before the Morganville Vampires series, but seem to be relatively unknown (at least over here) compared to them. I have to say, I did enjoy it, and it was an interesting premise to look at a world where Wardens have powers to alter and control weather patterns and conditions in order to try to prevent nature wreaking havoc on the world with the devastating effects of damaging weather systems such as tornadoes, hurricanes etc. It wasn't up there with the likes of Kelley Armstrong or Richelle Mead, although having looked up more info about the series now, I notice there are now ten books in the series, but it was enjoyable enough that I'd be quite happy to carry on with them, but I have the feeling it was too adult for YA, but as the main character is in her early twenties, it also doesn't feel quite grown up enough to be in the same vein as the previously mentioned authors. Not bad, but not as good as her other more well known series.

Time for a complete change next, and I read For Richer, For Poorer: A Love Affair With Poker by Victoria Coren. I first remember coming across Victoria in Balderdash And Piffle a BBC2 series about the Oxford dictionary and the history of words, and love her sense of humour, and her knowing style of presenting when she hosts the BBC4 quiz, Only Connect. She's the daughter of the late journalist and broadcaster, Alan Coren and brother of Giles Coren, who some may know from the programmes he's made with Sue Perkins about food and food history. I follow her on twitter, so I knew she liked poker, but I had no idea how much of an impact it had had on her life until I read this memoir. It was so, so, so funny, and I have to admit, while I don't play, I do have a fond affection for watching the Poker Million competition on Sky Sports, and her story reveals not only her history with poker, but also the development of the game, and how the initial televised tournament has spawned a whole industry, both of big money tournaments and online poker. Some of the people I knew from watching the programmes, but others were new to me, and the variety of stories and characters allowed her to mine a rich vein of poker history to tell us her story. I can't say for definite if it would appeal to people who don't know anything about poker (or have no interest in it), and although there is some recounting of how she won a $1 million game, with the details of the cards and the betting, it's much more about the various characters and how they approach the game, their style of gambling and the thought process she went through playing each hand. But more than that, it's the story of a woman who feels the call of the game from her family history, the importance of family, and how friends and family as well as circumstance help form the shape and direction of your life. Very enjoyable.

Finally for now, The Declaration by Gemma Malley is a YA book about a future world where a drug has been discovered that can stop people aging, and subsequently dying. Other advances in medicine using stem cells mean that all diseases are curable. The problem is that with no-one dying, the worlds resources can't cope with any further increases in population, so everyone signs a Declaration to say they won't have children, or they can opt out and choose to live without the drug in order to have a child, but the rule is a life for a life. When people break the rules and illegally have children, these are called Surpluses, who are removed from the parents (who are sent to prison) and must be brought up without the drug and are trained to become the servants of the Legals. Anna is one of the Surpluses and lives in Grange Hall where she is in the final stages of her training to become a servant (a Pending) and as a prefect is hoping to become a Valuable Asset in order to repay the debt of her parents sin for having her illegally. This was a totally engrossing YA novel, and in a society not too far from our own, was a shocking look at a possible future for our world. I thought it was fantastic.

That's it for now, but not far off finishing my next book either, so will probably be back later for another review!

The summer months bring out the wanderer in me, and I get itchy feet thinking about the possibilities of moving to another town or even country. This is extremely unlikely to happen, so instead, I indulge in books by people who have taken the plunge and written about their experiences of their adopted homes. The first book that caught my attention many years ago now, was A Year in Provence, the original and one of the best for satisfying entertainment, but I've read many, many more since then, and have just finished another one, Chickens, Mules and Two Old Fools by Victoria Twead.

With her husband due to retire from the army, and the children having flown the nest, Victoria convinces her husband to upsticks to Spain, but he only agrees to try it for a five year stint and will only decide whether to make it a permanent at the end of the period. She starts the book with the decision to go and the preparation needed to find and buy a house abroad and move across nations. As is common with these books, the couple decide to buy a run down house in a small village with an orchard, and decide to renovate the house and build two new homes on the orchard land in order to fund their move. There are the usual tales of the ex-pats they meet, the neighbours and local villagers who befriend them, the red tape and bureaucracy ever present in European countries, and the stream of friends from England who come to visit.

While I liked the book and it was entertaining, I think that others have written better and have more originality that this one, which fits the formula for this type of memoir/travel writing, but was ultimately, instantly forgettable. Others that have stuck with me over the years have been from Peter Mayle (as mentioned above), Chris Stewart, Annie Hawes and Jason Webster, so if you're looking for this type of book, I'd have to recommend going with one of them authors first

I started The Death Defying Pepper Roux by Geraldine McCaughrean last week, but have to admit, I wasn't sure I was going to finish it. I was reading a Kindle version, and the formatting of the book is terrible. The font it very large and bold, so I had to put it on the smallest possible setting on the Kindle to make it even remotely readable, and it's also all centre justified, which I found made it difficult to follow on screen.

In addition, the book is set in early 20th century France, and I'd never heard of the author, and initially I wondered if it was actually a French author and the book was translated, as I felt there were some odd choices of words at times. But, looking up McCaughrean, she is English and it's an original English text, which confused me slightly.

The story itself is actually quite clever and fun. For many years, thirteen year old Pepper Roux has been told by his aunt that she was shown a vision by Saint Constance that Pepper would die on his fourteenth birthday, and has been preparing for his fate ever since. But, when that day comes, he evades death and runs away to live a different life, and what follows is a serious of escapades and the chance for Pepper to live a dozen different lives.

I'm guessing it's aimed at 10-14 year olds, and I did enjoy it, but the formatting was a real struggle. The author seems to have won lots of awards for children's books, but I can't say this book grabbed me particularly, and I won't seek out more of her books, but if I came across something that looked interesting, I'd probably give it a go.

Great reviews Claire as always, I am half way through 'City of Ashes' (Book 2~Mortal Instruments) and I am enjoying it, I loved 'City of Bones' :)

Thanks Weave - I'm glad you're enjoying the Cassandra Clare books, but we both have Abby to thank for telling us about them in the first place! :D

I hope you enjoy The Declaration Abby, I thought it had some really interesting themes to think about :smile2:

I'm going to pick up on the questionnaire that Frankie has introduced to us all recently, so here's my first answer:

Day 01 – Best book you read last year

Runaway leader for the best book from last year was The Secret Lives of People in Love by Simon Van Booy. A collection of short stories that was simply exquisite. The themes of love and loss are written with heartbreaking narratives and evocative descriptions, and I thought they were flawless. Simon Van Booy can masterfully convey the depth of a love between a man and woman within the confines of stories that are sometimes only a few pages long. In fact, my favourite, "The Reappearance of Strawberries" is only three pages, but captures a lifetime of love and remembrance, that is both touching and poignant.

I downloaded Spying in High Heels by Gemma Halliday for my Kindle last weekend for two reasons. First, I'd remembered Meg Cabot mentioning the series at Christmas saying it was great fun, and second, it was on a special promotion and it was free!

In the mood for something lighthearted, I thought I'd give it a go, and it was exactly what I expected - good fun and pure escapism. The story starts with our heroine Maddie realising she is late, and not late for an appointment, but late. Worrying how to tell her boyfriend of only five months, when she turns up at his office for their lunch date, he's distracted by his previous meeting and asks to postpone their date. When he doesn't call, Maddie starts to get worried, and before she knows it, she's caught up in his disappearance, a fraud case that turns to murder, and decides to investigate for herself against the instructions from Ramirez, the LAPD cop assigned to the case.

I haven't read much traditional chick lit for a while, and I thoroughly enjoyed spending time with Maddie, and combining it with a crime story was a nice change from the usual finding Mr Right formula! Great fun, and a perfect escape from my office desk. :smile2:

Thank goodness I've finished Naked In Knightsbridge! I know I only wanted a light hearted bit of chick lit, but as the story progressed, it got more and more ludicrous, and the ending was simply ridiculous. That's all I can be bothered to write about it!

Day 02 – A book that you’ve read more than 3 times

Well, it has to be Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. I remember watching the Laurence Oivier and Greer Garson film adaptation many, many years ago when I was a little girl and loving it, but it was before I knew who Jane Austen was. When I was a teenager, I discovered Penguin Classics, and to my shock and delight, found the book my beloved film was based on. I've probably read my now battered paperback at least a dozen times since then, and I still chuckle at Mrs Bennett, squirm at Mr Collins and along with Elizabeth Bennett, I fall in love with Mr Darcy. The ultimate and original comedy of social manners, and one of my favourite romances in literature, Pride and Prejudice is one of my favourite and most well read classics.

Day 03 – Your favourite series

This has to be Make Way For Lucia series by E. F. Benson. I've read a lot of series of books in my time, and there are others I still want to read, but at this moment, Make Way For Lucia tops them all. I read all six books on the two eponymous English women by E. F. Benson in the space of a few months, and all were brilliantly observed commentaries on the middle England of the 1930s and I thoroughly enjoyed chuckling along at the two ladies escapades. They are so quintessentially British, and such good fun I absolutely adore them. They have a nostalgia about them, that makes me want to go back in live in that society, but I love the characters that Benson created.