Claire's book list 2011

chesilbeach

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This week saw the release of the tenth book in the Morganville Vampire series, Bite Club by Rachel Caine. Claire Danvers lives in Morganville, a town run by vampires, where she attends the local college during the day, works for a vampire alchemist outside of school and lives in the Glass house with best friends, Michael, Eve and her boyfriend Shane. All is not well with Shane, and his anger is leading him into trouble, a local teenager, Miranda has visions that don't bode well for Claire, and Monica and her henchwomen are still out to get her.

I love this series of YA books; they're fast paced, thrilling, exciting and I usually devour them in hours. The latest installment has a slightly different tone, as although there is the usual action and sense of peril as the story unfolds, but there is a change in the group dynamic due to the way the story pans out, and I did miss the old team vibe, although it is there is at times, this is more the Claire show.

Caine is apparently planning twelve books in the series, so only a couple more stories to go, and I can see some of the pointers starting to appear for how the various characters stories might resolve themselves. Book eleven, Last Breath, is due out in November and I'm already looking forward to it.

Day 02 – A book that you’ve read more than 3 times

Well, it has to be Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. I remember watching the Laurence Oivier and Greer Garson film adaptation many, many years ago when I was a little girl and loving it, but it was before I knew who Jane Austen was. When I was a teenager, I discovered Penguin Classics, and to my shock and delight, found the book my beloved film was based on. I've probably read my now battered paperback at least a dozen times since then, and I still chuckle at Mrs Bennett, squirm at Mr Collins and along with Elizabeth Bennett, I fall in love with Mr Darcy. The ultimate and original comedy of social manners, and one of my favourite romances in literature, Pride and Prejudice is one of my favourite and most well read classics.

I always quote 'Pride and Prejudice' as the book that started me off on reading the classics but I forget to add that it was the black and white film with Greer Garson and Laurence Olivier (and the peerless Maureen O' Sullivan .. was Jane ever more beautifully portrayed?) that made me fall in love with the story in the first place. Of course, they don't stick religiously to the plot but there's enough there to make you see what a lovely story it is and what fun it is because the title alone used to scare me to death, it sounds as if it'll be very highbrow.

I haven't read the 'Mapp & Lucia' books, I'll definitely look out for them after your recommendation Claire :)

I have Mapp & Lucia on my TBR pile, so good to read that you liked them so much Claire :)

I haven't read the 'Mapp & Lucia' books, I'll definitely look out for them after your recommendation Claire :)

I hope you both enjoy them - they really are true gems in my opinion :)

Oh dear, have been AWOL for a few days, so need to catchup on a few of the questions from our ongoing questionnaire!

Day 04 – Favourite book of your favourite series

It would have to be Mapp and Lucia. I absolutely adore this book. It was actually the first book I read from the series, despite it being the fourth installment, but it didn't matter. I chuckled and smiled so much while reading this book, I can't tell you. Benson describes the scenes and characters so well, even now I still have a perfect picture in my head of each of them and their homes. There is an unforgettable scene, which I don't want to give away too much in case any one wants to read it, but the two lead characters on an upturned table is a sight to behold even in my own head! An absolute gem.

Day 05 – A book that makes you happy

It's hard to pick a book that makes me happy, as most books I read make me happy, just by existing, but the book I've picked is Girl Meets Boy by Ali Smith which, when I finished the last page, gave me such a huge smile on my face and made me feel totally joyous. I've never read another book which has lifted my spirits so much and made me glad that there is a writer who can express joy in such an amazing way.

Day 06 – A book that makes you sad

I'm taking a bit of a liberty with this question, as very few books make me feel sad, as they all have redeeming qualities which make me feel other things as well, so I'm going to pick a book at which I felt very sad at one episode. I read The Ripening Sun by Patricia Atkinson a few years back, when I was going through a particularly strong phase of reading books of people who'd upped sticks and moved to another country to start a new life. She tells the story of her move to France and the process of bringing an old vinyard back to life. This doesn't sound particularly sad, and indeed it isn't for the most part, but one of the people you get to know really well during the book, becomes terminally ill. It's such a shock at the end of the book, and because it's a real person, not just a character in a story, it made me cry at the loss, as if I'd lost one of my own friends.

Day 07 – Most underrated book

I've struggled with this choice, as I don't think I've read many underrated books, but one I can think of is Quartet In Autumn by Barbara Pym. Pym was published between 1950 and 1986, although some of her books were published posthumously after her death in 1980. I've read most of her books, but my favourites are the three that were published in the late 1970s, of which Quartet In Autumn is a true great in my opinion. She sometimes writes humour and even satire about society, but this is a much more melancholic realistic commentary on the ordinary lives of four office workers in the 1970s. A superbly observed book whose characters still haunt me many years after reading.

Day 05 – A book that makes you happy

It's hard to pick a book that makes me happy, as most books I read make me happy, just by existing, but the book I've picked is Girl Meets Boy by Ali Smith which, when I finished the last page, gave me such a huge smile on my face and made me feel totally joyous. I've never read another book which has lifted my spirits so much and made me glad that there is a writer who can express joy in such an amazing way.

I need to look this up straight away. I'm intrigued by Ali Smith, I have got 'The Accidental' on the shelves waiting to be read but this sounds lovely :)

Day 06 – A book that makes you sad

I'm taking a bit of a liberty with this question, as very few books make me feel sad, as they all have redeeming qualities which make me feel other things as well, so I'm going to pick a book at which I felt very sad at one episode. I read The Ripening Sun by Patricia Atkinson a few years back, when I was going through a particularly strong phase of reading books of people who'd upped sticks and moved to another country to start a new life. She tells the story of her move to France and the process of bringing an old vinyard back to life. This doesn't sound particularly sad, and indeed it isn't for the most part, but one of the people you get to know really well during the book, becomes terminally ill. It's such a shock at the end of the book, and because it's a real person, not just a character in a story, it made me cry at the loss, as if I'd lost one of my own friends.

The fact that you got so attached to the characters is such a sign of a well written book, I felt the same about 'Along the Enchanted Way' also non-fiction and cried buckets over the death of one of the characters... you're right it does make it all the sadder when the characters are real flesh and blood.

Day 07 – Most underrated book

I've struggled with this choice, as I don't think I've read many underrated books, but one I can think of is Quartet In Autumn by Barbara Pym. Pym was published between 1950 and 1986, although some of her books were published posthumously after her death in 1980. I've read most of her books, but my favourites are the three that were published in the late 1970s, of which Quartet In Autumn is a true great in my opinion. She sometimes writes humour and even satire about society, but this is a much more melancholic realistic commentary on the ordinary lives of four office workers in the 1970s. A superbly observed book whose characters still haunt me many years after reading.

I must read more by Pym. I've only read one of hers but I enjoyed it. I've not heard of 'Quartet in Autumn' and I have looked her up from time to time and now I look for it I see they haven't given it a new ritzy cover ... so it definitely is underrated.

I need to look this up straight away. I'm intrigued by Ali Smith, I have got 'The Accidental' on the shelves waiting to be read but this sounds lovely :)

I adore Ali Smith. There are few authors who have given me such a feeling of joy when reading their work. She's got a new novel out next month, and I've just got a ticket to see her at an promotional event which I'm VERY excited about (although I'll probably be my usual shy, bumbling self and get tongue tied when I talk to her :rolleyes: ).

The fact that you got so attached to the characters is such a sign of a well written book, I felt the same about 'Along the Enchanted Way' also non-fiction and cried buckets over the death of one of the characters... you're right it does make it all the sadder when the characters are real flesh and blood.

I've got that one on my wishlist, poppy - no I know I'll need a box of tissues handy to wipe the tears from my eyes!

I must read more by Pym. I've only read one of hers but I enjoyed it. I've not heard of 'Quartet in Autumn' and I have looked her up from time to time and now I look for it I see they haven't given it a new ritzy cover ... so it definitely is underrated.

She is a wonderful writer. According to fantasticfiction.co.uk "When the Times Literary Supplement asked critics to name the most underrated authors of the past 75 years, only one was mentioned twice: Barbara Pym."

Oops, I missed yesterday again with the questionnaire, so two answers today ...

Day 08 – Most overrated book

It has to be Captain Corelli's Madolin by Louis de Bernières. I had heard so many people rave about this book, and even saw a programme made about it because it was lauded as a modern classic, but I didn't like it. I love the idea that language evolves, but that sometimes it's wonderful to see authors use words that may have slipped out of common usage, and that's what his author tries to do in the book, but when I have to have a dictionary beside me in order to look up words on a lot of pages and then occasionally find words that have been used that don't actually make sense in the context of the sentences, I get rather annoyed. I thought it had the makings of a good story, but I found the use of these outmoded words rather pretentious, and mostly just plain irritating.

Day 09 – A book you thought you wouldn’t like but ended up loving

I really didn't know what to expect with Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier, but for some reason I suspected I wasn't going to like it, despite people whose opinion I respect saying how good it was. But when I started reading it, I was immediately caught up in the period of the book, and soon so captivated in the story, I could barely put the book down. At one point, one of the characters makes a surprising admission, which I felt was so unexpected, I actually gasped out loud and even came on here just to mention it, as it really came as a bolt out of the blue for me. I completely loved it.

Edited by chesilbeach

Great posts Claire, I tried to read 'Captain Corelli's Mandolin' by Louis de Bernières but I could never get into it. :blush:

Well, I've just finished The Group by Mary McCarthy. As there are some others reading this book at the moment, I'm actually going to spoiler this review for a couple of weeks, just to allow the other readers to finish it without me giving anything away about some of the issues the book covers.

Hmm. I really enjoyed the book to start with, but by half way through, I realised that I had little emotional connection to the characters, and I started to find it quite frustrating to read. I thought it was written very dispassionately, and that the sociological aspects overrode the characters and the story. Each chapter progressively felt like it was the next issue to deal with, and often only loosely linked with either the previous chapter by a brief crossover between characters stories or another aspect of the same person. By three quarters of the way through, I found I was starting to skim read some sections.

However, I can see why it was both lauded and censured at the time of publication. It contains some detailed descriptions and commentary on sex, contraception, attempted rape, domestic abuse and other sociological issues, which I believe for the 1960s were extremely unusual in fiction, particularly from a female writer. There is an almost perfunctory style to the writing of the issues, the language feels quite dated and detached in tone, which I think is why I found it hard to connect with the characters. I'm glad I read it (albeit only skimming some parts) as it was interesting to compare how the style and tone of writing about women and female issues have changed in the subsequent decades.

Edited by chesilbeach

Day 10 – Favourite classic book

I was going to try and pick a different book for every question, but I'm going to have to go back to Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. I don't think it's her best, and I often read Persuasion, Mansfield Park, Northanger Abbey and Sense and Sensibility and often think I enjoy them the most of all her books, but this is about my favourite classic, and for that I have to choose Pride and Prejudice because of what it means to me. It was the first classic book I read, and it's probably the one I've read the most, so I know so many parts of it almost off by heart, and I love lots of the adaptations of the story, whether true to the book or whether just influencing it. And definitely due for another re-read soon :smile2:

Day 11 – A book you hated

This is a really tricky question for me. Hate is such a strong word. If I really dislike a book then I will give up on it, and I don't think it's then fair to say I hate it, as I haven't actually finished it. I did finish one book last year that I didn't like at all, so I've decided to use that for my answer, and that was Becoming Strangers by Louise Dean. It was one of the selections for my book group, and unusually, not one person in the group liked it either. I didn't like any of the characters and I didn't find the plot engaging, and it just wasn't for me. The book was awarded the Betty Trask Prize in 2004, and was longlisted for the Man Booker Prize and the Guardian First Book Award, so it's probably just not my cup of tea, as others obviously appreciate it more than me.

Day 12 – A book you used to love but don’t anymore

And I thought yesterday was difficult. I've been wracking my brains for an hour now, and I still can't come up with a single book to answer this question. I'm going to have to take a rain check on this one, and if I can think of a book that fits this category later on in the month, I'll come back to it!

Well, I've just finished The Group by Mary McCarthy. As there are some others reading this book at the moment, I'm actually going to spoiler this review for a couple of weeks, just to allow the other readers to finish it without me giving anything away about some of the issues the book covers.

Hmm. I really enjoyed the book to start with, but by half way through, I realised that I had little emotional connection to the characters, and I started to find it quite frustrating to read. I thought it was written very dispassionately, and that the sociological aspects overrode the characters and the story. Each chapter progressively felt like it was the next issue to deal with, and often only loosely linked with either the previous chapter by a brief crossover between characters stories or another aspect of the same person. By three quarters of the way through, I found I was starting to skim read some sections.

However, I can see why it was both lauded and censured at the time of publication. It contains some detailed descriptions and commentary on sex, contraception, attempted rape, domestic abuse and other sociological issues, which I believe for the 1960s were extremely unusual in fiction, particularly from a female writer. There is an almost perfunctory style to the writing of the issues, the language feels quite dated and detached in tone, which I think is why I found it hard to connect with the characters. I'm glad I read it (albeit only skimming some parts) as it was interesting to compare how the style and tone of writing about women and female issues have changed in the subsequent decades.

I agree with you 100%.

I liked reading about all the social issues that must've caused quite an uproar at the time of the novel's publishing, it was so interesting to see how people reacted so differently to the same issues we're having today. But I, too, felt that McCarthy had come up with each social difficulty she could find and had been determined to add it to the story and tackle it. It was all done for the sake of social commentary, rather than a great fictional story. And like you, I didn't feel like I could connect with any of the characters. I'm certainly glad I read the book and did like it, but at the same time felt it was a chore to get through it.

Phew! Thanks for that, frankie - I thought I might be a lone voice on this one, especially with all the authors I've read about who raved about it and acknowledged the impact it had on them and their writing.

I've had completely the opposite reading experience with my next book, Monsters of Men by Patrick Ness. This is the last book in the Chaos Walking trilogy. Since the very first book, I've been emotionally connected with the two main characters, Todd and Viola, and have lived through their troubles with them. Despite being a science fiction novel, it deals with issues and themes that are relevant to our own society, but allow the reader to explore them in a "safe" environment of a fictional world. The stark realities of war run alongside the internal battle to be an individual and to find ones own voice in a society where the pressure to conform to stereotypes is ever present, are easy to compare to our own world.

This has been an exceptional series of books, and I would highly recommend them to anyone, not just the YA market they're targeted towards.

Day 13 – Your favourite writer

Wow, this is a tough question again. I've been back and forth across a whole variety of authors, from classics to contemporary, fantasy to travel, short story writers to epic novelists. But finally, I've made a decision. My favourite writer is Ali Smith, and it's for one reason; on two occasions her writing has made be feel completely joyous, once after reading Girl Meets Boy and the other after reading one of her short stories. The way she wrote these pieces perfectly expressed how wonderful life and love can be, and for that alone, I can only be in awe of her writing.

Day 14 – Favourite book of your favourite writer

I've already mentioned it above, but Girl Meets Boy is, so far, my favourite of Ali Smith's books. Part of the Canongate Myths series and a modern re-telling of Ovid's myth of Iphis. An absolute gem.

This has been an exceptional series of books, and I would highly recommend them to anyone, not just the YA market they're targeted towards.

Hear hear, such an amazing series, I am going to re~read it again at some point. :)

Day 15 – Favourite male character

Another one I've really struggled with. I've been trying to go over my books in my head to see who might stand above the others, but you know, I just can't think of many that really outshine any others. I've eventually gone back to a book from my childhood that always sticks in my mind, and I've picked a character called Tammylan from Enid Blyton's The Children of Cherry Tree Farm. The book is about a four siblings who have been ill and as their parents have to go to America on business, the children are sent to live with their aunt and uncle on their farm. The story follows them as they have to learn the ways of the country, but they meet the hermit Tammylan who lives in a cave, and who teaches them about the wildlife. Tammylan is such a quiet, gentle man who appreciates the beauty of the natural world, and even as a child, I always loved people who I could learn from, and wished I had a Tammylan of my own.

Day 16 – Favourite female character

Now this is much easier! I'm sure I'm not original with my choice in this one, but it has to be the wonderful Elizabeth Bennett from Pride & Prejudice. Clever, witty, bright, and even if she gets it wrong at times, a good person at heart. Gotta love that girl!

I bought Water For Elephants about a year ago, thinking I'd have loads of time before the film came out in which to finish it. As I'm going to see the film this week, thought I'd better actually get around to reading it!

I've just finished it, and I liked it. Basically, it's the classic story of running away with the circus, but for grown-ups, and that's pretty much all you need to know about the story without giving anything about the plot away.

It was a quick, easy read, and it probably only took me about three hours in total to read the book. I did enjoy it, but I have to admit, I thought it was a bit lightweight with regards to the depths of the relationships and the story between the characters. I didn't find the modern day parts to the story particularly compelling, and I think I would have preferred to have spent the pages in those chapters on the circus story, but entertaining, and I'm actually wondering if I might like the film more than the book?

That's great news! I recently added these to my wish list. :)

Phew! Thanks for that, frankie - I thought I might be a lone voice on this one, especially with all the authors I've read about who raved about it and acknowledged the impact it had on them and their writing.

Nope, you're not alone at all :friends3: Maybe the authors first read the novel ages ago, in those days when it made a revelational read?

It was a quick, easy read, and it probably only took me about three hours in total to read the book. I did enjoy it, but I have to admit, I thought it was a bit lightweight with regards to the depths of the relationships and the story between the characters. I didn't find the modern day parts to the story particularly compelling, and I think I would have preferred to have spent the pages in those chapters on the circus story, but entertaining, and I'm actually wondering if I might like the film more than the book?

I've been wanting to read this for ages, since I actually own a copy and have been told it's amazing. And yet at the same time, for some reason, I always thought that it would make a difficult read? So thank you for the review, I'm less intimidated about starting the novel now :) I do hope you enjoy the film more than the novel :smile2:

That's great news! I recently added these to my wish list. :)

I think you'll really like them, Kylie; I know how much you enjoy dystopian books.

Nope, you're not alone at all :friends3: Maybe the authors first read the novel ages ago, in those days when it made a revelational read?

But some of the authors are my age or only a little older, so I can't believe it would have been that revelatory for them, as they would have been reading it when feminist writing was in full swing. :dunno:

I've been wanting to read this for ages, since I actually own a copy and have been told it's amazing. And yet at the same time, for some reason, I always thought that it would make a difficult read? So thank you for the review, I'm less intimidated about starting the novel now :) I do hope you enjoy the film more than the novel :smile2:

Definitely not one to be intimidated by, frankie! Entertaining and enjoyable, just a bit to lightweight for me. I can't wait to see the film now.